What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spinoff: Rivalries (1 Viewer)

malice

Footballguy
(As a spinoff of the 'rivalry of the decade' thread)

What makes a good rivalry- history or current relevance? Can a good rivalry span divisions? Conferences? Do rivalries last through stretches where teams are no longer competitive?

As a Bronco fan, I'd say Denver-San Diego is probably one of the stronger ones going, although Cutler moving to Chicago takes some steam out of it. Denver-Oakland also has lost its luster due to Shanahan's departure...or has it?

I also follow Minnesota, but outside of the Favre angle, I wouldn't consider the Packers their "rival".

Who would you consider your favorite team's rival?

As a San Diego fan, nothing beats the Charger-Raider rivalry, even though we hate Denver and Kansas City too. Denver has been gaining ground recently though.

I lived in the SF Bay Area in the 60's and 70's though, and the Raider-Steeler rivalry was pretty intense, as one had to go through the other to get to the SB. Plus, they both just had some downright mean players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleveland and Pittsburgh are rivals due to their proximity. A lot of people move from Pittsburgh to Cleveland. The cultures are very close. I'd argue its bigger than just a football rivalry.

Packers-Bears is another one that is way up there in terms of rivalries. The people from each side hate each other with a passion, and there have been instances of the WI-IL state troopers fighting with each other. The hate runs deep on both sides, so it extends beyond football a bit.

A good rivalry is one that has nothing to do with standings, or playoffs, or the recent fortunes of either team. Each game becomes its own world, where the individual players rise up to be warriors or villains, heroes or goats. You don't hear the phone when it rings, you don't hear the person next to you, and suddenly you find yourself running out the door into the street screaming HELL YEAH! or you find yourself pounding your fist on a brick wall with life dwindling down to a flicker.

Until the next game.

Redskins - Cowboys. Some hate is forever.

:lmao:

A good rivalry is one that has nothing to do with standings, or playoffs, or the recent fortunes of either team. Each game becomes its own world, where the individual players rise up to be warriors or villains, heroes or goats. You don't hear the phone when it rings, you don't hear the person next to you, and suddenly you find yourself running out the door into the street screaming HELL YEAH! or you find yourself pounding your fist on a brick wall with life dwindling down to a flicker. :no:
:goodposting: Part of a good rivalry is the old cliche "when these two teams face each other, throw out the records". Sadly, in the modern "business" of the NFL these types of rivalries exsist more in the fans than they do in the players...but it wasn't always like that.

As a bolt fan i hate Denver the most. Best rivalry ive seen in any sport- Detroit red wings v colorado avalanche
I agree, but since Colorado lost most of the talent (and the coach) it hasn't felt the same for years. It's the only rivalry I've been alive for that had fighting goalies, coaches facing off by their benches, and players talking like they're going to war.

As a bolt fan i hate Denver the most. Best rivalry ive seen in any sport- Detroit red wings v colorado avalanche
:goodposting:Cubs/Cards or Yankees/Red Sox - possibly Bears/Pack or Dallas/NYG or Wash/Phillybut hockey?? :shrug:
your going to throw baseball in there and give a :goodposting: to hockey? and spare me the NFC east rivalries overblown and shoved down our throats, almost as bad as yanks/sox/Mich/Ohio state and Wings/Avs are the best 2 rivalries of my lifetime.

Best rivalry ive seen in any sport- Detroit red wings v colorado avalanche
In their primes, I agree that it was a great rivalry. I don't think they will maintain it like Yankees/Red Sox or Michigan / tOSU or Army/Navy (which gets my vote)

Growing up my team was the Lions and they didn't really have a key rivalry.

After moving, I've become a Titans fan and they don't have a real rivalry either. The Colts have the potential to become that rivalry, it hasn't happened yet.

Personally I think the Saints and Falcons never gets enough credit.

Recently it has since both teams have ben vying for the division and even conference lead quite a lot since 2006 or so.

But really this is the oldest rivaly in the NFC South, the team hate each other and the cities are typically polar opposites on everything (and.... typically don't like each other), both fan bases travel in droves good or bad season, and over the course of 90+ games it's very tight, around 40+ wins each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best rivalry ive seen in any sport- Detroit red wings v colorado avalanche
In their primes, I agree that it was a great rivalry. I don't think they will maintain it like Yankees/Red Sox or Michigan / tOSU or Army/Navy (which gets my vote)

Growing up my team was the Lions and they didn't really have a key rivalry.

After moving, I've become a Titans fan and they don't have a real rivalry either. The Colts have the potential to become that rivalry, it hasn't happened yet.
Their rival was losing, they didn't beat their rival very often.

Users who are viewing this thread