What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Splitting the pot among Super Bowl teams (1 Viewer)

FUBAR

Footballguy
What do you all think about the two teams who play in the super bowl agreeing to split the pot? 

Not a huge money league, but $500/$125 at stake, I was asked if I just wanted to split.  I agreed but that we would still play the game, winner takes  $325, loser takes $300.  Close enough that it really doesn't matter but the league still gets a champion.   

Fwiw we are evenly matched, he has more points on the year, my players have been playing equally lately.  He would have beat me by 0.3 points this week  (before stat changes), I beat him by 18 the previous week, he scored 10 more in week 13, I had 10 more in week 12... bottom line is we're fairly matched this week.  We are both repeating from last year when he won (my OBJ was suspended).  

Thoughts? :popcorn:

If I don't know the person I won't unless it is offered and I cannot see myself pulling it out. If I am facing a close friend I will, In one of my 1000.00 leagues I am in the superbowl against a very good friend of mine so we decided to split the pot and play for the trophy and the transaction fees (which are 5.00 a transaction)

If the two owners agree to it, then there should not be a problem of any sort, as anyone who isnt playing for the pot has no say.

There is nothing wrong with splitting the pot if the two parties in the finals agree to it.  You are not effecting the actual results of the fantasy league.  The team that wins the matchup will still be considered the champion of your league and earn the bragging rights.  The combined prize pool for first and second place had already been decided by your league since week 1--and the moment it became official which two teams are in the final--the way in which those two particular owners agree to split the prize pool is between them.  It's no different than the final 2 or few players in a poker tournament deciding to chop the prize pool. Happens all of the time.   

Last edited by a moderator:
This came up in my league (I'm commish) a few years back  - I was in the championship and the other team asked me if I wanted to split the pot on the message board.

league flipped its #### over it. 

I never understood why it was a problem. Someone said it was collusion - which is ridiculous. No one was throwing the game - the pot is the pot and those 2 teams are getting it, so there's no ethical or moral delimma here.

that said, my response was that I didn't want to anger the fantasy gods and I'd rather play it out. 

I ended up winning, which was a significant upgrade in the size of the check. ;)  

but if the LCG teams want to split it, that's up to them. The only way it would be weird is if those two teams had made some questionable trades with each other during the season then got there and split the pot.   Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. 

An owner and I almost agreed to do the same a few years ago. It was more of a joke.

If both owners want to do it, I see no problem in it. This is no different than me winning 1st, feeling bad for the second place guy, and saying Merry Christmas here is half of the total pot (1st + 2nd/2)

The only way it would be weird is if those two teams had made some questionable trades with each other during the season then got there and split the pot.   Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. 
Not this year ;)

Funny though, we traded Mike Evans fir gurley last year (through a series of trades, Evans ended up ball on his team but not from me) and I traded him JJ Watt in a package for Jeremy Hill early last year.  So we do have some history of trading, none of which should be considered shady by anyone objectively. 

Although I do play only in money leagues it isn't the money I'm playing for--it's the bragging rights.  Do whatever you want with the money.

Ha, just read the whole post.  Im the other team. Main reason for offering is Christmas weekend. I know myself and i know i'll be checking the computer, lineups, scores etc every half hour. Im hoping this will cause me to do that less. Good luck Titans, im still gonna whoop ur butt. 

I did it a few years ago because I knew the other guy could use the money, and he was a friend. My team was better, and won big, but I felt it was the right thing. And he asked nicely. I've also split a few survivor pools over the years.

my league has a runner up amount, so it has never been done in 25 years of the league...

I've split the past couple years 

winner gets an extra $20 and bragging rights(which is more important imo)

Ha, just read the whole post.  Im the other team. Main reason for offering is Christmas weekend. I know myself and i know i'll be checking the computer, lineups, scores etc every half hour. Im hoping this will cause me to do that less. Good luck Titans, im still gonna whoop ur butt. 
You should know that you will both anger the fantasy gods and be doomed to missing the playoffs for the next 10 years of bad fantasy football luck.

but otherwise, have a merry Christmas fellas!  :pickle:

my league has a runner up amount, so it has never been done in 25 years of the league...
Pretty sure most leagues do. Splitting is an alternative to 70/30 or 65/25/10 or whatever the league does. 

I don't think there are many winner take all leagues out there. 

Personally I would never do it.  If I have the better team I want it all.  If I don`t have the better team I would savor the upset and taking it all.

Played all year to make it to the end and want the energy buildup of the last game.  Our league has a nice payout for the winner and a good payout to the runner-up.  Would be more than happy to collect runner up winnings as well.  I know the way our league operates and this would not be an option anyway.

What do you all think about the two teams who play in the super bowl agreeing to split the pot? 

Not a huge money league, but $500/$125 at stake, I was asked if I just wanted to split.  I agreed but that we would still play the game, winner takes  $325, loser takes $300.  Close enough that it really doesn't matter but the league still gets a champion.   

Fwiw we are evenly matched, he has more points on the year, my players have been playing equally lately.  He would have beat me by 0.3 points this week  (before stat changes), I beat him by 18 the previous week, he scored 10 more in week 13, I had 10 more in week 12... bottom line is we're fairly matched this week.  We are both repeating from last year when he won (my OBJ was suspended).  

Thoughts? :popcorn:
Did it once for the toilet bowl.. Split the combined total a tad different than the league setup. Would do the same for a big $ league if the difference is rather large. Ours is 1000 1st, 400 2nd. I would negotiate to a 60/40 or so split. The championship is not split.

There is no problem with it whatsoever. I've seen it happen in high stakes leagues. It makes sense when 5 or 6 figures of $ are at stake. I did it last year in the final of a FFPC 96 team tourney. Ending up winning the game, but did not regret the deal.

Did it once for the toilet bowl.. Split the combined total a tad different than the league setup. Would do the same for a big $ league if the difference is rather large. Ours is 1000 1st, 400 2nd. I would negotiate to a 60/40 or so split. The championship is not split.
This is what I do.  I'll offer a 60/40 split so that there is still something to get worked up over, but it softens the blow a little if you lose.  Sometimes they accept, sometimes they don't.  I'm good with it either way.

:lol: didn't remember if you were here at fbg.  Would love to see the Titans and Cowboys in the real thing too.  (Probably a year away for the real Titans though)

I'm in the who cares camp.  Whenever I get the opportunity I usually do some sort of chop...not 50/50 but something along the lines of 40/40 then play for the remaining 20%. I like having a decent reward to play for without losing a small fortune due to 1 crappy week.

Well I think you'd feel great about it if you end up losing and probably kicking yourself if you end up winning. 

The payout structure in my league is just silly, winner take all except second place gets their buy in back. Not taking the split is pretty much a bad move IMO.

Going to lobby for more of structure for next season.

This is common in poker tournaments as well but in that case the decision is obviously all about money since nobody wins bragging rights.

Personally I would never do it.  If I have the better team I want it all.  If I don`t have the better team I would savor the upset and taking it all.

Played all year to make it to the end and want the energy buildup of the last game.  Our league has a nice payout for the winner and a good payout to the runner-up.  Would be more than happy to collect runner up winnings as well.  I know the way our league operates and this would not be an option anyway.
As someone else said, while there is money on the line, it's all about bragging rights.

And I can't even imagine the amount #$%$ talking that would ensue if someone offered to split the pot for the finals.

If you wanna do it in your league, I sure don't mind. But I would never offer it and I wouldn't accept it either. Besides just being weak in general, I wouldn't like the feeling of winning, but knowing I could have won that much more if I wasn't so scared of losing. And my leaguemates would never let me hear the end of it.

Maybe this is different in other parts of the country, I dunno. But here in the northeast we take our %$#^ talking to another level.

You wouldn't really have bragging rights if you split the pot, and what's the point of winning if we don't have bragging rights?

I am in a few different leagues i and I think it's 100% up to the two teams playing. Anyone who has issue with it while not actually playing in the game is a moron. 

• 12 team $100 league league with $1000 first and $200 second place payout (lame). I'd likely propose a chop of $500/500 and play for $200 and hardware. 
• 20 Team $250 league with pricey FA moves with complex weekly payouts that ends up with $1500 + 50% FA$ for first and $900 + 25% of FA$ for second. I proposed a $1200/1200 chop and we play for the 50/25% of FA$ (around $500/250 or so). 

For a smaller stakes league that pays $480 + 50% FA$ vs  360 for top two slots we've always just played it out. 

I should add, I understand that people play in online and high stakes leagues and that splitting might make a lot more sense in those. But this is how it would go in my leagues where most of us have known each other for 20+ years:

Champ: Ha ha, I WON!

Me: You mean you won that game you were so scared of losing that you split the pot beforehand?

Champ: Yeah, so what?

Me: So you if you had any stones and thought your team was really the best, you would've played for it all.

Champ: Whatever, I'm the champ and you're not.

Me: So how much money did you give up by being a wuss again?

And on and on and on....

As someone else said..

"I'm in the who cares camp.  Whenever I get the opportunity I usually do some sort of chop...not 50/50 but something along the lines of 40/40 then play for the remaining 20%. I like having a decent reward to play for without losing a small fortune due to 1 crappy week. "

Same here, (and anyone not in the final really shouldn't care)

Basically split the pot, but play for champ and a little extra cash.

(both players win in that scenario and you still crown a champ)

Chopping is lame. It shows that it is really just about the money, not the other way around. Work you ### off all year to get there and then chop or play for a different split? No thanks. If you don't like the 1st/2nd place payouts then just try to get them changed for the next year. 

Why stop at chopping the championship? Just chop with 4 semi-finalists if you're trying to mitigate $$ risk.  Hell chop with all playoff teams. Lmao.

I just got this offer from the commissioner of my $500 League and took it. His team outscored mine by roughly 3 ppg over the course of the season and he outscored me 8 weeks to 7. However, both his starting RBs are gimpy and I think he got nervous. However, I really didn't want to sweat out winning or losing $2,400 on Christmas Day, plus Roethlisberger is his QB and I didn't want to have to root against him when the Steelers are playing for the division title. So I said screw it and we're each taking home $2,700.

The fact that my idiot wife made an illegal U-turn in my brand new Mustang and got hit by an SUV might also have played into this. :hot:

Splitting doesn't sit well with my trash talking spirit.  However, I've decided going forward, I will accept a 60/40 split.  If my opponent is willing to take a 40% split, my ego will be satisfied.

50% and 25% cuts for 1st and 2nd. We are discussing the option. He has 2 girls, one has been battling Lukemia and I think he would enjoy Christmas a little more not having to mess with the NFL. I also would enjoy just catching the Phins and not having to be glued to the rest of it. 

I should add, I understand that people play in online and high stakes leagues and that splitting might make a lot more sense in those. But this is how it would go in my leagues where most of us have known each other for 20+ years:

Champ: Ha ha, I WON!

Me: You mean you won that game you were so scared of losing that you split the pot beforehand?

Champ: Yeah, so what?

Me: So you if you had any stones and thought your team was really the best, you would've played for it all.

Champ: Whatever, I'm the champ and you're not.

Me: So how much money did you give up by being a wuss again?

And on and on and on....
If I had money and a title, why would I care what some ankle-biter* thinks? I have everything, they have nothing. Trash talk is worthless if you're trashing someone who finished ahead of you. 

* In fantasy terms, of course. No offense. 

50% and 25% cuts for 1st and 2nd. We are discussing the option. He has 2 girls, one has been battling Lukemia and I think he would enjoy Christmas a little more not having to mess with the NFL. I also would enjoy just catching the Phins and not having to be glued to the rest of it. 
This is a no-brainer to me. You put it aside, both take home some $ and still play for the championship. He's got other things on his mind.

Nothing is ethical wrong with splitting the pot. I just think the opponents who want to do so either 1) have the weaker team or 2) are less competive people by nature. I prefer to leave it all on the line and make the finals more exciting.

Something like this it's fine.

Otherwise, I hate it.  You sign up hoping for the excitement of a championship game.  The last thing I'm going to do is diminish it if I make it there.

Chopping is lame. It shows that it is really just about the money, not the other way around. Work you ### off all year to get there and then chop or play for a different split? No thanks. If you don't like the 1st/2nd place payouts then just try to get them changed for the next year. 

Why stop at chopping the championship? Just chop with 4 semi-finalists if you're trying to mitigate $$ risk.  Hell chop with all playoff teams. Lmao.
Gotta disagree with this.  It's not about the money, it's about the title...the ring...the bracelet....whatever you choose to call it.  Chopping the money just gets that part out of the way so you can enjoy the competition.  I've chopped a couple of Super Bowls, declined on a couple, was rejected for about the same.  All in all, it pretty much comes out the same in the end.,...chops or no chops. 

Of course it was you. :lmao:  

My Link

Even better, just split the pot right after the draft!

No risk whatsoever!

Even better, just split the pot right after the draft!

No risk whatsoever!
This is called "playing in free leagues."  If you know the owners, have a good relation, and like the competition, bragging rigts and smack talk, these can be the most rewarding of leagues.  

They just aren't "profitable" from a monetary perspective.

If it's a 50/50 split then someone could purposely tank (perhaps not an overly obvious tank) so they get the earlier picks. Some might view that as more value then the bragging rights associated with a championship. 

How did this thread go this long?  Why would anyone care?  If the two guys who made the championship want to split it then go right ahead.  It's their right to since no one else can win that money.  I'm not sure I would do it but if two guys agreed to it then so be it.  

If it's a 50/50 split then someone could purposely tank (perhaps not an overly obvious tank) so they get the earlier picks. Some might view that as more value then the bragging rights associated with a championship. 
So you're talking about tanking to get the second last pick instead of the very last pick?  That just seems ridiculous.

Is it just me or does anyone else keep having to double take every time they see this on the forum because they initially see "Spitting Pot among Super Bowl teams" (whatever spitting pot means...)

Users who are viewing this thread