What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley Support Group (1 Viewer)

Would be great if he were cut and ended up in Indy or Atlanta & they could end their failed starting RB experiments there. He'd certainly have no lack of suitors that's for sure. I too this it's crazy to even think he'd be cut. He's clearly their best inside running option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be a lot of smoke around the Jonas Gray fire. Beat writers talking about how great he looks, and how his best runs have been called back for ticky tack penalties that aren't showing up in the box score. How the coaches love him, and now this about Ridley.

It'd be surprising, but Maroney washed out pretty fast in NE as well...
First of all, I would be shocked if this happens but BB is someone who continually finds ways to surprise you...

Reiss is not the type to throw around nonsense...he is very methodical and not a personality that is trying to promote himself by making outlandish predictions...doesn't mean that he is right here but I can guarantee he has thought it out logically...

Gray is the x-factor here...he's a hard runner who has looked good in camp and as of right now does not have a fumbling issue and is not in the last year of his contract...it would be ballsy to go with him over Ridley but my guess is this is something Reiss is factoring in...also, Bolden is a RB who can provide some of what Ridley does as well...they may not be as good but there are players on the roster who can do what Ridley does and maybe BB trusts more...

As a Pats fan I would like to see Ridley stay...he's talented and runs with attitude...he can help this team...yet like Brady with a WR if BB has lost faith in Ridley he won't think twice about parting ways with him...

I see a lot of teams who went WR heavy are counting on Ridley as RB2. This is one of the problems when you scape the bottom for RBs. He should be drafted as a flex at best, more like a RB4.

Is there any chance at all that this could have just been a simple oversight on Reiss' part? I mean, mistakes do happen.
Definitely not a mistake (although it's just his hunch):

RUNNING BACKS (4)

The Patriots are always good for a surprise, and we've had our antenna up at this positionsince early July. If there's a surprise, we'll play a hunch at this spot with Stevan Ridley, whose low snap total Friday (11 snaps) in a "dress rehearsal" game caught the eye. Meanwhile, Roy Finch lands on the practice squad.

Well there's activity across my leagues already, lol.

White? Bolden? Gray? Finch? Gray has 30 carries this preseason, Bolden has 3.

Bolden subbed for vereen last year but who knows what to make of that...

Is there any chance at all that this could have just been a simple oversight on Reiss' part? I mean, mistakes do happen.
None. He commented specifically on it. Said something like "Every year there is a surprise cut, and if there's going to be one this year, I'll play a hunch and say Stevan Ridley."

As a Ridley owner, I would welcome a cut. I'm

tired of living in fear of the fumble and there are many place where Ridley would be a clear upgrade for a team.
Which ones?
Both NY teams, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, SF, Jacksonville and Carolina off the top of my head. However, I was crazy for even bringing up the idea he might get cut.
Not happening with the Jets unless it's as the 4th RB. Johnson and Ivory are set as the 1-2 and the Jets love the versatility of Powell (although he's not great at anything, just pretty good/decent at everything).

It would be mildly surprising if Ridley was cut. It would also only be mildy surprising if he made the team and had 100 yards and a td in week 1.

None. He commented specifically on it. Said something like "Every year there is a surprise cut, and if there's going to be one this year, I'll play a hunch and say Stevan Ridley."
When has their surprise cut ever been a 25 year old starting RB with a career 4.5 YPC?

He would be starting for the Colts week 1 if he was cut.

When has their surprise cut ever been a 25 year old starting RB with a career 4.5 YPC?

Maroney was about 25 with a YPC over 4.

why wouldn't they trade him if they were going to cut him? there would certainly be several teams looking to add a guy with his experience. Doesn't seem to make much sense at all.

Maroney was about 25 with a YPC over 4.
he actually got traded rather than cut, although that's a nitpick.

there is no way ridley's getting cut, so all you yentas can settle down

tired of living in fear of the fumble and there are many place where Ridley would be a clear upgrade for a team.
Which ones?
Both NY teams, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, SF, Jacksonville and Carolina off the top of my head. However, I was crazy for even bringing up the idea he might get cut.
um not for half the teams you listed. Bell, Gore, hyde, Rice are all better than Ridley

Indy would be interesting

usually though a team you never think of scoops up players like him.

How big is his salary?

That's what would make it a surprise.

This is pure speculation by Reiss, waste of everyone's time.

The Pats already know Ridley can run and run well and the preseason did nothing to diminish that.

If he was going to be cut for fumbling issues, then that would have been determined after the second preseason game.

If Ridley was on the bubble there was nothing more to be learned by playing him with the 1's in Week 3. Those reps would have gone to one of the younger guys who still need to prove themselves.

Ridley is not getting cut.

But it takes at least a year to learn their playbook. Be serious. <_<

I don't think I've ever seen a RB listed as #1 on a team's depth chart cut a week before the season starts.

Which ones?
Yeah, I'm sure Tom Coughlin is just dying to add a fumbler to his RB corps.

Even still, Reiss isn't making this up. As I posted earlier, there's been some significant hype on Jonas Gray, and the team has been looking at him in preseason games with the starters. Several articles mention his best runs have come on plays that haven't shown up in the box score due to a penalty away from the play.

Point being, if you have a spot, Gray's interesting for a few weeks till we see how this plays out. After all, these same Patriots used a three-headed committee last year to great success. If Gray ends up with the Blount role, that's not too shabby. If they choose to move on from Ridley, or if Ridley fumbles early, there's upside from there.

At this point, there's enough smoke for me personally to make the move on Gray with the last man on my bench, but my leagues highly value RBs... yours may differ, and some of you may think I'm crazy. If it doesn't pan out, you move on to something else. Low risk, high potential reward.

http://nesn.com/2014...riots-starters/

http://bostonherald....s_of_brilliance

http://boston.cbsloc...down-day-looms/

RumfordJohnny‏@RumfordJohnny3 hrs

FWIW, Jonas Gray has been the most explosive power back this PS. Vereen/White used in 21 personnel (highlighted on the 2Mugs pod ).

Cutting Ridley and picking up BJGE sounds like something Belichick would do.
Not really. If he was going to replace Ridley with any other available RB, why would he wait until the last minute, guaranteeing the new RB takes longer into the season to get in game shape and get in sync with the offense? It doesn't make sense.

IMO it would be shocking if Ridley was cut, and it would not be some kind of clever move by BB. It would be a move that more likely hurts the team than helps it.

The Pats already know Ridley can run and run well and the preseason did nothing to diminish that.

If he was going to be cut for fumbling issues, then that would have been determined after the second preseason game.

If Ridley was on the bubble there was nothing more to be learned by playing him with the 1's in Week 3. Those reps would have gone to one of the younger guys who still need to prove themselves.

Ridley is not getting cut.
:goodposting:

Got Ridley in the 10th tonight at my live draft, 105th overall...there was some talk about 30-40 minutes (1-2 rounds) before I took him on how he might be cut, which I think is bogus, and then no mention of him again until I took him as my RB4/5. I think he's a steal 8th round or later. James White went 9 picks later than Ridley.

Ridley's a major value right now.

Got Ridley in the 10th tonight at my live draft, 105th overall...there was some talk about 30-40 minutes (1-2 rounds) before I took him on how he might be cut, which I think is bogus, and then no mention of him again until I took him as my RB4/5. I think he's a steal 8th round or later. James White went 9 picks later than Ridley.

I think at their ADP, Ridley and White are both great values.

Will White really get enough touches that makes him roster worthy?

I haven't been impressed with him or Ridley tbh, but I think he will get opportunities all year and may even beat Ridley out by the end of the season.

I haven't been impressed with him or Ridley tbh, but I think he will get opportunities all year and may even beat Ridley out by the end of the season.
I dont keep a notebook but you also thought Edelman was a throwaway last year, correct?

I dont keep a notebook but you also thought Edelman was a throwaway last year, correct?
He was until everyone got injured and he started getting a dozen targets every week.

Ridley is falling way lower than his published ADP. It appears that he spooks a lot of people. I never wanted to own a piece of the New England backfield but at this price, how can I resist?

Ridley is falling way lower than his published ADP. It appears that he spooks a lot of people. I never wanted to own a piece of the New England backfield but at this price, how can I resist?
how far?

think he's listed 7th
still on the board and it's the 10th round of a slow draft. FWIW, so is Ingram. And I'm 4 picks away.
I was between Ridley and Ingram in the 10th tonight...went Ridley, and Ingram went 2 picks later. Realistically both shouldve been gone. At that price Id be happy with either, but I think Ridley has more upside, unless of course both Pierre and Khiry get hurt early.

NE is a fantasy goldmine but also somewhat of an enigma on a year to year basis. Much like every year over the past decade or so (since 2006), they'll find themselves in the RZ often (always finish top 3 in RZ attempts per game). Over the past two years, they've chosen to get a lot their work done on the ground (lead the league in rushing TDs in 2012/2013). I feel like if you can get a bead on the situation, you'll come out on top. My gut still says to go with Ridley, but when I take a step back I realize Gronk was only there about half of the time during that span. Generally, I'm kind of infatuated with all of their options whether it be Vereen, Gronk, or a majority of their WR core. I know, much like always, they'll put themselves in scoring positions often this year, I'm just less confident as to how they'll get it done. I know this doesn't exactly pertain to this thread, but I'm just going to hedge and take Brady where I can.

What have you seen that tells you this?

ourmanflint said:
Run It Up said:
Kenny Powers said:
Run It Up said:
Kenny Powers said:

What have you seen that tells you this?
Its a combination of things. First, I've lost all faith in Ridley and I feel the Pats have to. They gave Blount opportunities before Ridley put himself in the doghouse, again. I don't think White has to even produce like Blount did, he simply has to not make mistakes. The role Ridley plays in the New England system isn't a demanding one, any RB capable of picking up 3-4 yards is sufficient for the task (not that historically Ridley hasn't been above average, thats just gravy.)

As I said, White and Ridley's respective preseason performances have not impressed me, Ridley had a couple good runs and White had a couple good touches. But in joint practices White has looked much better comparatively to his preseason performance. I'm chocking a lot of White's slow start to just that, its his rookie season.

I think Vereen is gonna be on the field a lot, and I think Ridley and White are gonna be competing for the same touches, regardless of what the split is week 1, all White has to do is either wait for Ridley to make a costly mistake (which at this point is when not an if) or simply outplay him, I feel like the game is rigged in White's favor.

One dimensional RBs (not saying that White is yet, but that Ridley is for sure) in NE will always be good for more than a handful of touchdowns, the Pats had like 20 TDs on the ground last year, I think the Pats run less this year but there are still a lot of TDs, so they both have value especially at their ADPs (as I said above.)

I'm only in 1 redraft, a 12 team PPR with 10 point TDs (all of them :shock: ), start 2 RBs and a flex.

I picked up Ridley as my RB4 in the 8th due to his TD potential... then got Ingram as my RB5 in the 11th. Hopefully I got the goal line backs on two top 5 offenses. We'll see.

The window will be closing fast on a Ridley discount. He's going to be a good RB3 and flex play at bargain basement prices.

Users who are viewing this thread