What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Jackson v Michael Turner (1 Viewer)

JerseyPaul

Footballguy
I think this will be a common decision for those drafting in the mid spots, after 5 RBs and AJ are taken.

In a PPR, it would seem that Jackson's potential is huge. With a new QB, the safety net of a Jackson dump-off may be the option pn play after play. Remember last year when Hightower had games with 9-10 receptions? Yes, we know there won't be many TDs, but boy, those little passes generate points by the boatload. Jackson has no RB that will take meaningful touches away from him. But, he had back surgery this off season. He has had lots of touches the last few years and wearing down is a concern. They say you can't predict injuries, but more mileage on a RB does seem to increase that probability.

Turner has never been a receiving RB, but this year Atlanta claims they will use Turner more as a receiver. He plays for a talented team. He had a tough schedule last year but still managed 4.9 ypc. He was a major disappointment last year, however, (after finishing as #2 RB in 2008), much of which due to time lost from ankle injuries. Turner has also been a workhorse over the lase few seasons. If he's healthy, gets a few more passes and ATL becomes more effective offensively, Turner could be huge again.

ADP has Turner over Jackson but I think Jackson may be the better play. It may not matter if both live up to their ADP or both are disappointments. But my bet is one will justify his pick and one won't. Which is which?

I'm a huge SJax fan, and although I'd probably go Turner in a redraft, the 47-catch edge (7 TDs-worth) swings the pendulum to SJax. And I don't think SJax scores only 4 TDs again, but that's another story.

I love Michael Turner this season. I've heard a couple of people say he's injury prone and don't like him because he's getting up there in age. I think most negativity is bogus. Heck, two years ago everyone was saying how young of a 26 year old running back he is. Anyways, I don't think a player just flukes 1,700 yards rushing in his first year as a starter. That was his first year in Atlanta? His first year? His second season was a step backwards, I suppose, but imagine the kind of player he could be with two seasons under his belt, camaraderie with his teammates, the winning atmosphere that seems to be developing in Atlanta, and the shape he has got himself into this off-season. And Mike Smith wants him involved in the passing game?

To me, between choosing Turner and Jackson. It isn't even close. Jackson is the Rams' offense as of now. He had a great season last year but I think that's his ceiling considering the condition of his team. Turner's upside is much higher in my opinion.

Turner vs. Jackson:

1,200 rushing yards, 8 TDs to go with 40 catches and 350 receiving yards - Jackson (120, 48, 40, 35 = 243)

1,500 rushing yards (could be higher), 15 TDs (could be higher) to go with 25 catches and 250 receiving yards - Turner (150, 90, 25, 25 = 290)

And, yes, I believe the Falcons are dead serious about getting Turner involved in the passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year we hear how SJax is top 5 in potential but he never reaches it. That O-line is so horrible it's not worth the risk, especially now with a rookie QB who will make the typical rookie mistakes. IMO the 2 have similar talent level but Turner's situation is far superior so I would take him before SJax even in PPR.

What will SJax have to score to keep pace with 1,500 rushing and about 18-20 TDs which is what I see for Turner this year.

I like Atlanta a lot more than St Louis which has a lot of question marks from the OL to the QB to the WRs...I would feel more comfortable with Turner even if SJax has a decent year.

What will SJax have to score to keep pace with 1,500 rushing and about 18-20 TDs which is what I see for Turner this year.I like Atlanta a lot more than St Louis which has a lot of question marks from the OL to the QB to the WRs...I would feel more comfortable with Turner even if SJax has a decent year.
Well, assuming SJax DOES run for 1,500 yards (he did get 1,400 in 15 games), and he scores 4 TDs (like last year's career low), and he catches 38 for 271 (also his career low -- in 12 games), he'd need 31 more points to meet your projection for Turner -- 270 points to 239 points. And this is all assuming he doesn't improve on his career lows in TDs and reception/yards total. Doesn't seem too far-fetched to think that he can make up 31 points to me. And it doesn't even factor in the improvements that STL has made -- the OLine together again for one more year, getting rid of Keith Null and Marc Bulger (o matter what you think of Bradford, you gotta think he's better than those guys), getting Laurent Robinson, their #1 WR, back, etc. etc. I think there's plenty chance that SJax gets to Turner.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will SJax have to score to keep pace with 1,500 rushing and about 18-20 TDs which is what I see for Turner this year.I like Atlanta a lot more than St Louis which has a lot of question marks from the OL to the QB to the WRs...I would feel more comfortable with Turner even if SJax has a decent year.
Well, assuming SJax DOES run for 1,500 yards (he did get 1,400 in 15 games), and he scores 4 TDs (like last year's career low), and he catches 38 for 271 (also his career low -- in 12 games), he'd need 31 more points to meet your projection for Turner -- 270 points to 239 points. And this is all assuming he doesn't improve on his career lows in TDs and reception/yards total. Doesn't seem too far-fetched to think that he can make up 31 points to me. And it doesn't even factor in the improvements that STL has made -- the OLine together again for one more year, getting rid of Keith Null and Marc Bulger (o matter what you think of Bradford, you gotta think he's better than those guys), getting Laurent Robinson, their #1 WR, back, etc. etc. I think there's plenty chance that SJax gets to Turner.
Would you change your log in to SJ01 and be done with it already :thumbup:

Perfect thread- as I'm debating the two myself. I've had SJax the past two years. He's been such a headache to own, but when he's on the field in PPR- he's a monster. That was before the back surgery though-- As a fellow herniated disc sufferer who went through the same surgery- I just dont' see how it's possible he doesn't reinjure it. The herniation actually never heals- the disc is still exposed- one bad move as I did recently, and it's back out. Still- that monster potential just haunts you and is so tantalizing that it makes you want to take the chance.

Turner on the other hand is huge in yards and tds, but has a limitation on catches- even if they involve him more.. Without the multiple dumpoffs-- a bad rushing day which all RB's have just kills you pts wise.. There were days last year where Jackson ran for 50 yds and was till top 5 rb for the week because of the catches.. IF Turner goes for 50 and 1 or 2 catches- you're sunk.. but I think he also is a safer bet from playing most games...

It's tough for me, I am hope SJax isn't there for me to have to make the decision.

IF I may- I would also like to throw into the debate, Mendenhall.... I think he could be in the mix with these guys. His RB coach just made a comparison to him producing the type of rush and catch stats that Faulk and James used to put up- might be a stretch but I think the point was they expect him to catch the ball alot in addition to strong rushing.. I have started to look at him as another option in PPR.

What will SJax have to score to keep pace with 1,500 rushing and about 18-20 TDs which is what I see for Turner this year.

I like Atlanta a lot more than St Louis which has a lot of question marks from the OL to the QB to the WRs...I would feel more comfortable with Turner even if SJax has a decent year.
"According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bill Coats, Danny Amendola has been "the best receiver in camp" for the Rams.Yikes. The poor man's Wes Welker does appear to have a firm grip on slot receiver and punt return duties over rookie Mardy Gilyard, but it's a bad sign that Amendola is outshining Laurent Robinson and Donnie Avery, even if they essentially play different positions. St. Louis' offensive line play isn't the only concern for Sam Bradford if Robinson and Avery aren't stepping up outside."

Don't like Steven Jackson's chances with Danny Amendola as their next best "playmaker".

Would you change your log in to SJ01 and be done with it already :D
I'm considering that. And making my middle name Steven. It's in the works :thumbdown:

"According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bill Coats, Danny Amendola has been "the best receiver in camp" for the Rams.Yikes. The poor man's Wes Welker does appear to have a firm grip on slot receiver and punt return duties over rookie Mardy Gilyard, but it's a bad sign that Amendola is outshining Laurent Robinson and Donnie Avery, even if they essentially play different positions. St. Louis' offensive line play isn't the only concern for Sam Bradford if Robinson and Avery aren't stepping up outside."

Don't like Steven Jackson's chances with Danny Amendola as their next best "playmaker".
Who was their (second) best playmaker last year? Donnie Avery? Even if Robinson and Avery don't improve, Amendola stepping up can only help SJax, no?

Who was their (second) best playmaker last year? Donnie Avery? Even if Robinson and Avery don't improve, Amendola stepping up can only help SJax, no?
Perhaps. St. Louis can't get any worse than they were. But I still doubt Jackson's chances in comparison to Turner.

I like Turner too much this season, especially on the TD front. I think he takes the TD title back. I love SJax, but ultimately, it's the lack of TDs that kill him each season. St. Louis is simply too lame of a team for him to truly excel. Yes, he was 50-100 rushing yards ahead of Adrian Peterson last season and although he won't do as poorly as 4 TDs again, you can only ask so much of the guy, he can't score 10 TDs if his team is going to constantly suck despite his best efforts

shame. I'd love to see him get traded to a team like Miami or something, one where he would excel.

Good thread and some valid points...being a SJax dynasty owner I've suffered many headaches with his injuries especially down the stretch last year.

He was listed as the dreaded probable (gtd) in weeks 12-15 and missed championship week.

He was the 18th ranked RB in weeks 11-16 :lmao:

I hope Gore is still somehow on the board at 7 so I dont have to make this choice :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread