What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (12 Viewers)

Why is this a good place for cash?
Because it really shouldn't dip below $10, or more than 1% below that, as that's the navigation price. There's always a chance for a pop for future news. 

Edited to add, but don't listen to me, as I'm the Anti-King Midas. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually expected the market to take a bigger hit today than it did. Encouraging that there was relatively light volume again. No real conviction in either direction. Somethings gotta give. Staying bearish short term. I think a 10% correction would be healthy right now so we can fly through the spring and summer. 

I actually expected the market to take a bigger hit today than it did. Encouraging that there was relatively light volume again. No real conviction in either direction. Somethings gotta give. Staying bearish short term. I think a 10% correction would be healthy right now so we can fly through the spring and summer. 
I got whacked today, less than I was up yesterday but still got worse as the day went on. Funny how sometimes it just doesn’t matter how a company is doing. How ZM is down 9% on a day where they crushed their numbers is beyond me. Even when estimates were raised due to higher guidance from last quarter, they still beat them handily. They are on pace for over $3B a year revenue and even more surprising at this stage almost $1B in earnings.

I got whacked today, less than I was up yesterday but still got worse as the day went on. Funny how sometimes it just doesn’t matter how a company is doing. How ZM is down 9% on a day where they crushed their numbers is beyond me. Even when estimates were raised due to higher guidance from last quarter, they still beat them handily. They are on pace for over $3B a year revenue and even more surprising at this stage almost $1B in earnings.
Wow, I haven't looked at ZM since last year's runup and didn't realize how much they've pulled back already.

Wow, I haven't looked at ZM since last year's runup and didn't realize how much they've pulled back already.
I had a lot and sold 80%+ when it hit $570. Just felt too high. Amazingly, I timed the peak well. I think it hit 580ish that day but it was the peak day. Still have 20 shares in case it keeps rolling years down the road.

ETA: Also got damn lucky to jump in at $67 in October 2019.

The General said:
As did I. Why I didn’t buy this as a long term hold back in early Jan is beyond me. 
I didn't buy because I don't like the company. Maybe I'm missing something and I get that they're the name brand, but at least where we travel, VRBO is much better for renters. I always check both, have yet to actually use Airbnb.

So... FLGT. ‽

buy more, cash out, or HODL?
I'm holding long term and have already trimmed plenty in the 170's and 130's so staying put now. If I didn't have a position now, I'd buy a little now and then again after earnings this week. I'm not planning on adding any more, personally, but situations vary. Market Cap is still only $2.5 Billion, lots of runway in the years ahead.

I'm holding long term and have already trimmed plenty in the 170's and 130's so staying put now. If I didn't have a position now, I'd buy a little now and then again after earnings this week. I'm not planning on adding any more, personally, but situations vary. Market Cap is still only $2.5 Billion, lots of runway in the years ahead.
Yeah, I'm in it for the long-haul, too, but I've basically whittled my cost down to nothing, so easy to say. They have to have a ton of resources available to them now that they wouldn't have had otherwise, along with newly-established relationships, to be able to grow the business at a rate that would have been challenging to them without this opportunity.

I don't know if I'd be buying before earnings, though. This is one of those companies, like TDOC, that I don't think it matters much what they report. They can't give an outlook that will overcome people's concerns about the company coming out of the pandemic. Especially with testing down as much as it is. But I'd definitely look at buying post-earnings. 

Hopefully I'm wrong. Just my $.02.

Yeah, I'm in it for the long-haul, too, but I've basically whittled my cost down to nothing, so easy to say. They have to have a ton of resources available to them now that they wouldn't have had otherwise, along with newly-established relationships, to be able to grow the business at a rate that would have been challenging to them without this opportunity.

I don't know if I'd be buying before earnings, though. This is one of those companies, like TDOC, that I don't think it matters much what they report. They can't give an outlook that will overcome people's concerns about the company coming out of the pandemic. Especially with testing down as much as it is. But I'd definitely look at buying post-earnings. 

Hopefully I'm wrong. Just my $.02.
This is just how I tend to build positions. Buy a little before a catalyst like earnings - if it drops, I only bought a little and can average down. If it pops, I have a little skin in the game, can enjoy the ride, and average up. If the thesis changes, I can cut bait and not be impacted too much.

This is just how I tend to build positions. Buy a little before a catalyst like earnings - if it drops, I only bought a little and can average down. If it pops, I have a little skin in the game, can enjoy the ride, and average up. If the thesis changes, I can cut bait and not be impacted too much.
I get it. I'm just approaching this one cautiously.

I didn't buy because I don't like the company. Maybe I'm missing something and I get that they're the name brand, but at least where we travel, VRBO is much better for renters. I always check both, have yet to actually use Airbnb.
A lot of it is market dependent.  VRBO tends to do better in vacation rental markets like beach houses (though Airbnb still holds its own there), but Airbnb absolutely dominates in big cities and with business travelers and whatnot.

$FVRR announced a secondary so it's getting hit a little. Could be a buying opportunity but will wait and see. When a growth stock shoots up this fast, and I'm an owner, I kind of want them to do this. Especially because I assume they're just building a war chest to go shopping.

Got back into $SKLZ after learning more about it. They report next week. 

Current portfolio by size (some are small just because they’re new, not necessarily ranked by conviction): SE, CRWD, AAPL, SQ, MSFT, FVRR, ETSY, AXON, DKNG, PINS, U, GDRX, FLGT, TTD, ABNB, NEE, Z, NNOX, SKLZ, DMTK, IMMR, SRNGU

Also about 10% cash.

Got back into $SKLZ after learning more about it. They report next week. 

Current portfolio by size (some are small just because they’re new, not necessarily ranked by conviction): SE, CRWD, AAPL, SQ, MSFT, FVRR, ETSY, AXON, DKNG, PINS, U, GDRX, FLGT, TTD, ABNB, NEE, Z, NNOX, SKLZ, DMTK, IMMR, SRNGU

Also about 10% cash.
That's a good looking port!

I like em both. I have a bit of Expedia as well (think they are VRBO).

This area seems primed to explode.

I like em both. I have a bit of Expedia as well (think they are VRBO).

This area seems primed to explode.
Without question!  Between vaccinations coming through, stim checks, people being just plain tired of Covid and being held up - travel plans, flights, vacations, Disney, cruises, etc. are going to explode!  And stocks that have anything to do with that stuff will follow suit. 

SPAC How-to from an email I just got from a fintwit follow, good basic primer:

5 Steps to Buying Units:

1. Download a quality brokerage that doesn't rhyme with Shrobinhood. The reason for this is because you need to have a brokerage with customer service that will answer your calls. Common brokerages include: Schwab, TD Ameritrade: Think or Swim, Interactive Brokers, E-Trade, Fidelity. 

(If you want more info on which brokerage to choose, DM me on Twitter @SPACdaddy or elsewhere & I'll tell you which one is the move for you)

2. To find units of your favorite SPACs, search the ticker and click on the one that has a U .U or /U. For example, if you're looking units of Goldman Sachs Acquistion Corp (GSAH), it will look like GSAH/U. Warrants will look like GSAH/WS and the commons are just GSAH. 

3. Look up what fraction of the Warrant is in the Unit. Usually it'll be 1/2w to 1/5w. If you buy GSAH/U, which have 1/4w, every 4 units will yield you 4 commons and 1 warrant (4 units * 1/4w = 1w, 4 commons). It's very simple once you understand the math, don't overthink it. 

Some more basic math: If you buy 4 shares of GSAH/U for $12/Unit, that means you are technically paying ~$8 for each warrant (SPAC common = $10, 1/4 Warrant = $2, so 4 units * 1/4w = 4 commons & 1 full warrant). Now technicalities don't always matter because sometimes theres a discount/arbitrage play to be made. A unit can be trading at $12.50/U while the common is at $12.20/share... so basically the fractional warrants just serve as the cherry on top. 

4. Next up, find the SPAC you like during the greenshoe period and buy Units. After the 45-52 day greenshoe period is over, the SPAC will announce the "Separate trading of it's shares" aka splitting the units into commons and warrants. This is when Robinhooders flood the commons and jack up the price. Essentially, this is a way to get in before the madness. 

5. The greenshoe is over after 45-52 days and it's time to split your units. Call your brokerage & repeat these magical words verbatim:

"PLEASE MAKE A CONTRACT REQUEST TO THE RE-ORG GROUP TO SPLIT MY SPAC UNITS OF _ _ _ _ /U"

There you have it folks. Your units will split into commons & warrants in 1-2 business days and you've managed to buy SPAC shares before the Robinhood hype.

What are some great artificial intelligence stocks to look into?
A lot of companies claim to use AI, so this is probably too broad a question. $AI reported today and got slammed, but it’s back to where it opened as a hyped IPO. I’m watching them. They’re one of those businesses that takes a long time to close deals so earnings will be choppy, but they’re close to a pure play and got the sweet ticker.

Without question!  Between vaccinations coming through, stim checks, people being just plain tired of Covid and being held up - travel plans, flights, vacations, Disney, cruises, etc. are going to explode!  And stocks that have anything to do with that stuff will follow suit. 
This is what I'm wondering.  We've seen a fake rotation out of tech like 50 times by now, but I do wonder if a bit of a real one is still coming if not already here.  A bunch of tech pulled back and I was planning on just holding it until it hopefully climbs back, but in my swing account I'm considering cutting some of it and putting it into travel stonks.

And of course, I'll take any excuse to buy more DIS which remains my most favorite stonk out there.

SPAC How-to from an email I just got from a fintwit follow, good basic primer:

5 Steps to Buying Units:

1. Download a quality brokerage that doesn't rhyme with Shrobinhood. The reason for this is because you need to have a brokerage with customer service that will answer your calls. Common brokerages include: Schwab, TD Ameritrade: Think or Swim, Interactive Brokers, E-Trade, Fidelity. 

(If you want more info on which brokerage to choose, DM me on Twitter @SPACdaddy or elsewhere & I'll tell you which one is the move for you)

2. To find units of your favorite SPACs, search the ticker and click on the one that has a U .U or /U. For example, if you're looking units of Goldman Sachs Acquistion Corp (GSAH), it will look like GSAH/U. Warrants will look like GSAH/WS and the commons are just GSAH. 

3. Look up what fraction of the Warrant is in the Unit. Usually it'll be 1/2w to 1/5w. If you buy GSAH/U, which have 1/4w, every 4 units will yield you 4 commons and 1 warrant (4 units * 1/4w = 1w, 4 commons). It's very simple once you understand the math, don't overthink it. 

Some more basic math: If you buy 4 shares of GSAH/U for $12/Unit, that means you are technically paying ~$8 for each warrant (SPAC common = $10, 1/4 Warrant = $2, so 4 units * 1/4w = 4 commons & 1 full warrant). Now technicalities don't always matter because sometimes theres a discount/arbitrage play to be made. A unit can be trading at $12.50/U while the common is at $12.20/share... so basically the fractional warrants just serve as the cherry on top. 

4. Next up, find the SPAC you like during the greenshoe period and buy Units. After the 45-52 day greenshoe period is over, the SPAC will announce the "Separate trading of it's shares" aka splitting the units into commons and warrants. This is when Robinhooders flood the commons and jack up the price. Essentially, this is a way to get in before the madness. 

5. The greenshoe is over after 45-52 days and it's time to split your units. Call your brokerage & repeat these magical words verbatim:

"PLEASE MAKE A CONTRACT REQUEST TO THE RE-ORG GROUP TO SPLIT MY SPAC UNITS OF _ _ _ _ /U"

There you have it folks. Your units will split into commons & warrants in 1-2 business days and you've managed to buy SPAC shares before the Robinhood hype.
WOW, nice 

Users who are viewing this thread