What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

I'm starting to think about de-risking a bit. VERY heavy into growth and tech, which was great for the last decade. But the closer I get to retirement age, the more that potential variability starts to weigh on my thinking. I really have no idea how to do this, though. It's not really me.

In addition to some other names I already own, I grabbed some TGT, EXC, and O. Been trickling a little money into NTRSO here and there, as well. Good, relatively safe yield at this point, with 10% upside. Maybe a little more if rates really start to get cut again. Started looking at a few other options...

... Aaaaaaaaand then I bought some SHOP and doubled down on MELI. :wall:
Why not just own the entire market with index funds. That's what I'm doing moving into retirement. Been moving out of individual stocks more and more over the past year. I don't need huge returns and I can do without the risk.
I have money that's indexed as well. That would certainly be the cleanest break, but when I say de-risking isn't really me, that's about overcoming my personality and my attitude towards investments. I'm REALLY not at a point where I'm ready to completely abandon individual names in favor of just indexing. In particular, there's the fact that when I do get into retirement, I suspect this is one of the ways I'll spend my time. I'd just end up selling those funds to move money back into stocks that interest me at that point. I just need better diversification rather than being so heavily concentrated in one area. But buying Target isn't exactly exciting.
Sounds good. I'm definitely headed in a different direction. When I finally cut ties with my income source I don't want to be sitting there looking at my accounts during a correction wondering if I made mistakes and thinking I might run out of money. Just going to log on quarterly to rebalance and forget about it.
So hypothetically, if I would retire at 60 with $3 million, budgeting a million for my 60's, 70's and 80's, wouldn't I treat the money I need in my 80's different than the money I need in my 60's (i.e. could be a little more aggressive and weather some ups and downs if I will not be accessing it for another 20 years)?

ETA; Sorry, maybe this is better suited for the "I want to retire soon" thread.
I replied over in that thread. Sorry for the hijack.

There's a lot of overlap between here, the retirement thread, the personal finance thread, and probably half a dozen others. I think you're fine either way.

PANW (Palo Alto Networks) and FI (Fiserv) on our master list now.

Cyber Security and Contactless pay

Nice upside from here IMO and long term holds.

BA returns to the list at these levels. Think 3-5 year hold from here. IMO they will work past the issues they are currently having long term.

Last edited:
PANW (Palo Alto Networks) and FI (Fiserv) on our master list now.

Cyber Security and Contactless pay

Nice upside from here IMO and long term holds.

BA returns to the list at these levels. Think 3-5 year old from here. IMO they will work past the issues they are currently having long term.
I picked up some of this after the big dump it took.

Let’s ride!

I'm intrigued by the Reddit IPO. I'll probably buy a small slice of shares just to be part of the gang. Feels like it could easily gain or lose 80% within days. Apparently the Redditors are against the whole process so they may drive the price down violently. They're such rabble rousers.

I got the old man into PANW at $190, he's pretty happy. On Sunday, we're going to talk about getting his cost basis out of NVDA, since he might have a quadruple again by Friday. For an 87-year-old with access to 5% money markets, he still takes lots of great swings.

Of course, I have two quite specialized miners, so perhaps I should start giving myself better advice. Bought more MP this week :bag:

I'm intrigued by the Reddit IPO. I'll probably buy a small slice of shares just to be part of the gang. Feels like it could easily gain or lose 80% within days. Apparently the Redditors are against the whole process so they may drive the price down violently. They're such rabble rousers.

Seems like a terribly run business and the IPO more or a less a way for existing shareholders to cash out after 20 years. On the other hand, this stock has the potential to trade wildly in both directions in a way completely detached from fundamentals so I’m sure I’ll do a little options gambling at some point in the fun account.

From Morning Brew

Today’s the day you can finally own stock in Reddit, the only social media platform where you can both stage a Wall Street coup and join a community for people who love stapling bread to trees.

The 19-year-old company, listed on the New York Stock Exchange as RDDT as of today, is selling 22 million shares priced at $34 each, valuing Reddit at $6.4 billion.

But that’s pretty much the only conventional thing about this IPO, which is being bet against by some of the very people who make the site what it is, prompting Reddit to warn of potential volatility.

Here’s what’s going on:

• In a nod to the platform’s reliance on user-generated content, Reddit set aside 1.76 million shares for certain US-based highly active users and volunteer community moderators.
  • Many Redditors have not only passed on the IPO—they’re getting ready to dance on its grave. The 15-million-member r/wallstreetbets subreddit, which briefly turned GameStop to gold in 2021, is filled with talk of shorting RDDT and watching it “absolutely plummet.”
  • Any Redditors who did buy before the bell won’t have to wait the typically mandatory six months before selling, so they could cash in on initial surges.

Growing pains​

Last year Reddit CEO Steve Huffman said it was time to “behave like an adult company.” But the untameable beast that is the Reddit community hasn’t always been on board with Huffman’s efforts to make the site profitable…like when thousands of moderators protest-shuttered their communities after Huffman announced that third-party developers would have to pay for site access.

Now that it has a fiduciary duty to make its shareholders richer…Reddit has to figure out how to turn a profit without enraging users. But in a move that will probably anger many of them anyway, Reddit is looking to diversify its main revenue stream (ads) by letting companies train their AI models on user-generated content. It just signed a $60 million/year data licensing contract with Google, but the FTC is probing the deal.—ML

I have some RDDT secondary shares from pre-ipo. But they're locked for 180 days. By then I'm sure all the meme fun will be over and this thing will be down 80% from IPO price just like happened with my RIVN secondary shares.

Somehow DWAC received SEC approval to move forward with their merger. Most likely down to just a shareholder vote, although their old DWAC CEO Patrick Orlando is now holding them hostage for more money (shocker!!) The new ticker symbol is going to be "DJT" if the merger passes. Stock up to $50 a share today, again with no real product (Truth Social is the #139 social media app in the Apple App store) and bleeding money. I sold at $44 when it doubled my money on early primary news, but thinking about shorting now. The dilution when merged is going to kill the price. And it could be a few more months before the merger, which will force the price and excitement down.

DWAC shareholders successfully voted today to merge with TMTG and will be on the stock exchange Monday as DJT. Volatile price movement today was expected and it delivered. Share dilution hits Monday and also the realization of being a real company will come crashing down. Made about 200% on just playing with this stock the last two years with some fun money, but glad it's gone.

Somehow DWAC received SEC approval to move forward with their merger. Most likely down to just a shareholder vote, although their old DWAC CEO Patrick Orlando is now holding them hostage for more money (shocker!!) The new ticker symbol is going to be "DJT" if the merger passes. Stock up to $50 a share today, again with no real product (Truth Social is the #139 social media app in the Apple App store) and bleeding money. I sold at $44 when it doubled my money on early primary news, but thinking about shorting now. The dilution when merged is going to kill the price. And it could be a few more months before the merger, which will force the price and excitement down.

DWAC shareholders successfully voted today to merge with TMTG and will be on the stock exchange Monday as DJT. Volatile price movement today was expected and it delivered. Share dilution hits Monday and also the realization of being a real company will come crashing down. Made about 200% on just playing with this stock the last two years with some fun money, but glad it's gone.

This thing will still trade bonkers. Trump has billions in shares which he could theoretically just dump to pay bills. He could also demand other GOPers spend advertising money there as a show of fealty. The people in the tired of Vegas thread should just gamble with DJT and RDDT instead. All of the action, none of the cigarette smoke.

This thing will still trade bonkers. Trump has billions in shares which he could theoretically just dump to pay bills. He could also demand other GOPers spend advertising money there as a show of fealty. The people in the tired of Vegas thread should just gamble with DJT and RDDT instead. All of the action, none of the cigarette smoke.
Would very much like to short both.

At least someone made money with that product. Did you feel like you needed to take a shower after?

At least someone made money with that product. Did you feel like you needed to take a shower after?
Like everyday. What turned out as a casual interest/watching a trainwreck turned into an obsession for the last couple years. I'm no where near as stock savvy as most of the group here, but I know more about DWAC, Truth Social and "blind faith" investors than I ever thought I wanted to know. There is no way this stock succeeds, there is just no product, and a lot of people are going to lose their life savings and maxed out credit card advances.

I see that Powell is talking about rate cuts.
We've gone from 6 cuts to a shaky 3 cuts. And the market is rocking. IMO we get maybe 1 cut by end of the year. If Powell actually signals strongly for a cut (what he did was anything but that) this market is going to reverse crash.
I think you are right. I was on the 3 cut train for about the last 6 months - June/September/December. Now I'm leaning June/December, but I could be off. I don't know the history of rate moves in election years and I don't really see any inflation relief in the next 6 months.

We've gone from 6 cuts to a shaky 3 cuts. And the market is rocking. IMO we get maybe 1 cut by end of the year. If Powell actually signals strongly for a cut (what he did was anything but that) this market is going to reverse crash.
I for one never ever thought 6 cuts were coming in 1 year. I felt 2 max.....what they may end up doing is one .50 basis point cut in October and take a wait and see.

Either way I have been telling everyone late year cut or two max.....the market got way ahead of itself with this 6 cuts, 4 cuts....March cuts, June cuts BS.

Was never going to happen.

And define reverse crash Sand.......a 10% correction is normal in bull markets which in my opinion after the first cut the new cyclical bull should commence.

If the earnings are good, if the fundamentals are good....a market tantrum to the downside of 10-12% won't mean anything to me other than another long term buying opportunity.....and if we exceed 15%.....dude back the truck up long term.

$BA Boeing CEO finally stepping down at the end of the year. Board Chair not running for re-election. CEO of the Commercial Airlines segment retiring.

Long overdue house cleaning.

I for one never ever thought 6 cuts were coming in 1 year. I felt 2 max.....what they may end up doing is one .50 basis point cut in October and take a wait and see.
Down to one. :violin:

Users who are viewing this thread