What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

Keep posting your trades. Please!
SLB is one of the few with the balls to actually post all his investment moves in real time. Good, bad and ugly. Huge respect for that.Unfortunately this trade went against the 3 Basic Truths.1) Never start a land war in Russia2) Don't bet your life when a Sicilian is involved.and3) Never short a stock in a bull market.Sorry SLB: you were all kinds of right...the market doesn't care. I've been there.

Keep posting your trades. Please!
SLB is one of the few with the balls to actually post all his investment moves in real time. Good, bad and ugly. Huge respect for that.Unfortunately this trade went against the 3 Basic Truths.

1) Never start a land war in Russia

2) Don't bet your life when a Sicilian is involved.

and

3) Never short a stock in a bull market.

Sorry SLB: you were all kinds of right...the market doesn't care. I've been there.
:lmao: at the bolded and you just told me #3 a couple of days ago. Your advice was VERY close to keep me from pulling the trigger but I've been following AMZN for quite awhile and really thought they would report the way they did. Of course it didn't matter. Sucks but those are the breaks.

I pointed out last year that we were in recessionary mode (to the incredulity of many). This has been confirmed as detailed here. The situation we are in is pretty tenuous and figuring out which way things will go is tough - the economy will continue to struggle (flatline, most likely) and the Fed will continue with QE, which pumps real assets as we see in stocks.

Right now the trend is obviously positive, but one wonders how long this can last...

I pointed out last year that we were in recessionary mode (to the incredulity of many). This has been confirmed as detailed here. The situation we are in is pretty tenuous and figuring out which way things will go is tough - the economy will continue to struggle (flatline, most likely) and the Fed will continue with QE, which pumps real assets as we see in stocks.Right now the trend is obviously positive, but one wonders how long this can last...
Joe Q. Public getting more taken from his check. Q is also paying more for his everyday expenses (gas, grocery, most everything). Mr. Public is also getting hours cut at work because its slow. Joe can't find a job. Old people working longer or moving into trailer homes to save money. Things are great for Jose Quintana Publico.

So my dad approached me and told me has 5k he feels like playing around with and buying a couple of stocks, and would like for me to help him (no idea why). I have 0 experience whatsoever in the market. Aside from the Steelhedge, which I think is great and plan on utilizing those charts when we decide we've prepared enough to make a choice, where's a good spot to start with researching?

So my dad approached me and told me has 5k he feels like playing around with and buying a couple of stocks, and would like for me to help him (no idea why).
Perhaps this is why:
I have 0 experience whatsoever in the market.
I know, makes sense, right? Perhaps he feels like it is some kind of bonding experience? I dunno, I tried to talk him out of it and to find someone else, he said he really wants me and him to do it. So it is what it is. Just trying to educate myself as much as possible, so where better to start then with people who do it every day?

So my dad approached me and told me has 5k he feels like playing around with and buying a couple of stocks, and would like for me to help him (no idea why).
Perhaps this is why:
I know, makes sense, right? Perhaps he feels like it is some kind of bonding experience? I dunno, I tried to talk him out of it and to find someone else, he said he really wants me and him to do it. So it is what it is. Just trying to educate myself as much as possible, so where better to start then with people who do it every day?
He wants you to learn about the stock market.

So my dad approached me and told me has 5k he feels like playing around with and buying a couple of stocks, and would like for me to help him (no idea why). I have 0 experience whatsoever in the market. Aside from the Steelhedge, which I think is great and plan on utilizing those charts when we decide we've prepared enough to make a choice, where's a good spot to start with researching?
Just stick it all in FAZ.

Perhaps this is why:
Signs of an impending major top.
yup! I was just thinking that we sure were getting up there in value... the CNBC analysts are running out of bad news to run.... the dip is nearing!

Perhaps this is why:
He wants you to learn about the stock market.
this. he wants you to learn how to invest and get interested in how the financial market work.it's a solid idea to learn!I embarked on this about 2 years ago and it's made me a smarter person in regards to how the markets work.I would start by reading a super basic book like: Stock market for dummies... seriously.. it's where i started.you have to know the vocabulary first.I know a lot of people on here hate Cramer, but honestly his show and books are really for beginners and aren't a bad place to start either.. his way of writing is fairly easily understandable for the average joe...

'St. Louis Bob said:
Shorted 30 AMZN @ $269.55.
BTC 30 @ $268 for a profit of $32.50 after commissions. :confetti:
:boatloads:
In technical terms it's called a "forget the cheese...let me out of the trap" trade.
:goodposting: :lmao:
Speaking of which, I finally dumped AAPL at 453 this morning. Pretty big loss (at least for me).
:sadbanana:

Thoughts on QCOM? Apple. Nokia. BB. Samsung. Everybody wants to know who wins. QCOM's in all of them. Winning?
I own it. ARMH is good for that, also,though more volatile. I regret selling this Summer.http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=QCOM+Interactive#symbol=qcom;range=2y;compare=aapl+armh;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

'Dentist said:
com'on dow 14k!!! we can do this!
we did it.Dow 14K... awesome.Wow Lhucks couldn't have been more wrong when he posted that get out of the market post

Anyone else thinking about taking some profits at this point? I can't buy individual stocks due to my job. As a result I own a lot of mutual funds and ETFs so I really invest in sectors or in the market on a whole. What are you guys thinking? I am about 10% cash now but thinking of uping that to 25% or so? Would sell holdings like SDY and VO and some small cap holdings.These trade would all be in my personal ac####s and 401k type accounts would remain fully invested. Also, as disclosure I already sold out of my entire position in JNK as the HY bond market is out of control and way to risky with new issue BB names selling at 4.50% yield. You should be out of that market if anyone is in it.

Anyone else thinking about taking some profits at this point? I can't buy individual stocks due to my job. As a result I own a lot of mutual funds and ETFs so I really invest in sectors or in the market on a whole. What are you guys thinking? I am about 10% cash now but thinking of uping that to 25% or so? Would sell holdings like SDY and VO and some small cap holdings.These trade would all be in my personal ac####s and 401k type accounts would remain fully invested. Also, as disclosure I already sold out of my entire position in JNK as the HY bond market is out of control and way to risky with new issue BB names selling at 4.50% yield. You should be out of that market if anyone is in it.
Siff's tweet about the cycle charts has me cautious at this point. Not taking any profits yet, but I'm prepared to pull the trigger should the market turn.

Siff's tweet about the cycle charts has me cautious at this point. Not taking any profits yet, but I'm prepared to pull the trigger should the market turn.
Let me be as clear as I can. The market is BULLISH. It has been BULLISH for a couple of months. For the foreseeable future I believe the market will remain BULLISH. It would take at minimum a few weeks of hard selling for the PI to turn bearish. Even so...in bull mkts there is typically multiple exits at, near or even sometimes above the Bull Trend (PI) highs.Your best bet is to ride your winners as long as you can. As for that chart...I thought it interesting...as we want to invest in the strongest sectors in bull markets...and as it suggests,we may be nearing a major top- but I don't think we're there yet.Smart plan is to have a list of all your positions...and take note of those over-performing and under-performing to the SP500.

Let me be as clear as I can. The market is BULLISH. It has been BULLISH for a couple of months. For the foreseeable future I believe the market will remain BULLISH. It would take at minimum a few weeks of hard selling for the PI to turn bearish. Even so...in bull mkts there is typically multiple exits at, near or even sometimes above the Bull Trend (PI) highs.Your best bet is to ride your winners as long as you can. As for that chart...I thought it interesting...as we want to invest in the strongest sectors in bull markets...and as it suggests,we may be nearing a major top- but I don't think we're there yet.Smart plan is to have a list of all your positions...and take note of those over-performing and under-performing to the SP500.
Understood :thumbup: I'm letting my winners run and I check my charts regularly to make sure the trends are still positive. I'm just in a personal financial situation at the moment that requires some extra diligent attention to the state of the market. I'm not selling now nor do I have plans to, but, I'm also aware that a top may be on the horizon so I'm just staying extra vigilant to the state of the market. Thanks as always, siff.

Siff- Will you be posting charts tonight? Specifically, I am really interested in finding out if the PI changed to bull for SLV.

Siff- Will you be posting charts tonight? Specifically, I am really interested in finding out if the PI changed to bull for SLV.
OOOFFF!They will get posted...maybe today...but for sure this weekend.SLV is really close to turning bullish on the daily chart, and I have a high level of confidence it will do so on the close today or after close Monday. Because they are Daily charts the bar doesn't fully print until after the close. So as per the rules you'd need to wait for confirmation.Ok New post is up and can be read here:Sector Trends and Charts

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOFFF!They will get posted...maybe today...but for sure this weekend.

SLV is really close to turning bullish on the daily chart, and I have a high level of confidence it will do so on the close today or after close Monday. Because they are Daily charts the bar doesn't fully print until after the close. So as per the rules you'd need to wait for confirmation.

Ok New post is up and can be read here:

Sector Trends and Charts
Any update today would be appreciated. TIA

Thoughts on QCOM? Apple. Nokia. BB. Samsung. Everybody wants to know who wins. QCOM's in all of them. Winning?
I own it. ARMH is good for that, also,though more volatile. I regret selling this Summer.http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=QCOM+Interactive#symbol=qcom;range=2y;compare=aapl+armh;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;
It would be interesting to see how well a basket of mobile tech stocks do against the dow in the next 3 years. The industry is supposed to double by 2015, so an industry focused mini-fund *should* outperform the market. AAPL, GOOG, NOK, BBRY, ARM, QCOM are what I'm considering so far.NOK, BBRY, AAPL are all attractively priced. Goog & QCOM are at all time highs and ARM is on a tear since last July. I'll wait for a correction on these.

The nice thing about ARMH is that it is a pure intellectual property play. No factories, supply issues,etc. What I have been searching for is the best way to play the mobile payments aspect, which is earlier in development than smartphones. I did buy a little V. EBAY is often mentioned as a way to play, but it is not pure.

and between you and my couisin-in-law, I'm selling the rest of my AAPL Monday. Was hoping for a little short term bump but it's obvious I'm playing with fire.So do I grow some major balls and short AAPL Siff?
First of all. I think you guys have the incorrect impression of how I operate. While I'm willing to take on risk...I actually practice correct risk management- in that I align my positions with the direction price is generally moving. Disciplined on entries and exits. I take profits when the trend is exhausted, and am not afraid to take a loss or close a position when my opinion proves wrong. I want to be bullish when the market is bullish and I want to be bearish when the market is bearish. With that said. I DO NOT short stocks.* I wouldn't suggest a short of AAPL. Remember the overall market is bullish. The money to be made is long...investing in the strongest stocks and strongest sectors. Ideally this would have been done on the PI turn- as most gains are made by entering at the early stage of a new bull market trend. At this point the strongest stocks and sectors are up 10%+ since the PI flip. My opinion is that this Bull Trend will continue for the foreseeable future...putting money to work at this point will require much more vigilance and discipline and carry a higher level of risk for a smaller percentage of gain. In addition I'd have had you sell AAPL back in October at around $650- when the daily trend confirmed bear as that would have presented the greatest level of profit with the least amount of risk. As that trend is now 3+ months along and $200+ down from that initial signal- selling here means less profits (obviously) and a greater chance that when the AAPL trend flips to a bull a new long entry will not be far from the price point we're at today. What I'm saying is a trend investor must make his moves early in the trend as part of the discipline process. When that step is ignored it is difficult to provide good guidance as to what is the best move.I'm sorry that the blog post needs editing. But if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it last night. Remember I'm a one man show and my native language isn't English...it's Western Frontier. I do try to be straight forward with the charts. I know I spent a lot of time analyzing AAPL, but did so because it is such a part of the market conversation right now.* I short the general market when the PI is bearish using emini futures contracts on the major market indexes. Eminis act as both a hedge and portfolio accelerator. I also take a position in emini futures contracts in bull markets by taking long positions. While the % of my portfolio invested in eminis is less than 20%...the profits they provide make up the majority of all gains.
AAPL up ~ 10% since the late January lows. What does technical analysis say siffoin? Is this a chance for some of us who go caught holding the bag to get out on a bounce before new lows, or is this the beginning of a bull?

and between you and my couisin-in-law, I'm selling the rest of my AAPL Monday. Was hoping for a little short term bump but it's obvious I'm playing with fire.

So do I grow some major balls and short AAPL Siff?
First of all. I think you guys have the incorrect impression of how I operate. While I'm willing to take on risk...I actually practice correct risk management- in that I align my positions with the direction price is generally moving. Disciplined on entries and exits. I take profits when the trend is exhausted, and am not afraid to take a loss or close a position when my opinion proves wrong. I want to be bullish when the market is bullish and I want to be bearish when the market is bearish. With that said. I DO NOT short stocks.* I wouldn't suggest a short of AAPL. Remember the overall market is bullish. The money to be made is long...investing in the strongest stocks and strongest sectors. Ideally this would have been done on the PI turn- as most gains are made by entering at the early stage of a new bull market trend. At this point the strongest stocks and sectors are up 10%+ since the PI flip. My opinion is that this Bull Trend will continue for the foreseeable future...putting money to work at this point will require much more vigilance and discipline and carry a higher level of risk for a smaller percentage of gain.

In addition I'd have had you sell AAPL back in October at around $650- when the daily trend confirmed bear as that would have presented the greatest level of profit with the least amount of risk. As that trend is now 3+ months along and $200+ down from that initial signal- selling here means less profits (obviously) and a greater chance that when the AAPL trend flips to a bull a new long entry will not be far from the price point we're at today. What I'm saying is a trend investor must make his moves early in the trend as part of the discipline process. When that step is ignored it is difficult to provide good guidance as to what is the best move.

I'm sorry that the blog post needs editing. But if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it last night. Remember I'm a one man show and my native language isn't English...it's Western Frontier. I do try to be straight forward with the charts. I know I spent a lot of time analyzing AAPL, but did so because it is such a part of the market conversation right now.

* I short the general market when the PI is bearish using emini futures contracts on the major market indexes. Eminis act as both a hedge and portfolio accelerator. I also take a position in emini futures contracts in bull markets by taking long positions. While the % of my portfolio invested in eminis is less than 20%...the profits they provide make up the majority of all gains.
AAPL up ~ 10% since the late January lows. What does technical analysis say siffoin? Is this a chance for some of us who go caught holding the bag to get out on a bounce before new lows, or is this the beginning of a bull?
Otherwise known as when I sold. This is really fun. I'm hot. Midas touch here.

What online brokerages are you guys using? I've had a Scottrade account for years but I'm not wild about their interface and trading tools and feel like I should shop around. Is there a reliable source that breaks down the fees and commissions for all the main ones? I want to be able to trade stocks, ETFs, options, etc. Don't need affiliated banking services, don't need a dedicated guy to call on the phone or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread