What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (3 Viewers)

fantasycurse42 said:
Taking a hard look at Lumber Liquidators right now.

This is either a zero or a double.
Roulette is faster.
They're now trading at 50% of revenue... I mean, the math says buy. Any bad news is baked in and then some.

I'm still on the fence here.
As someone who's behind on retirement and trying to catch up, please don't report back if you buy and strike gold. I don't need the extra push to swing for the fences with my eyes closed. Yeah, there's a very real chance this will double, triple, or knock it out of the park...but is the risk of it going belly up worth it? Even if it doesn't go belly up, what would I do if it drops another 25% when we start learning why the CEO left? Will I be confident enough in my vetting that it's only temporary and wait it out? Or will I drop it...magically at it's low point...and then kick myself when it proceeds to jump 50% in the following weeks?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I get the impression you've got more money than you know what to do with. I hope you don't take offense to this, but I picture you as the happy fella in the comfy tommy bahama shirt sitting at the card table with stacks of chips enjoying the company of the table and not too concerned with your declining stack. It's all about having fun and gets more exciting every time you rake in a big one but may not realize it only covers 75% of the losses since your last win. If you don't care about the money and it's all about fun...then call the markets bluff on this slide.

My wonder for LL; is there another company benefiting from their fall from the top? We recently put in wood floors and searched for months for what we wanted...LL is a big player in the common man's mind and lots of people aren't going to feel comfortable using them until the smoke clears and people start forgetting about the alleged dishonest practices . Another company has got to be taking a larger chunk of their revenue than the others and if you can find it before their earnings come out there might be a very nice win. Granted it would probably be less financial reward...but also much less risky.

edit to change: lies to alleged dishonest practices

Last edited by a moderator:
St. Louis Bob - enlighten me on your method for trading SCO, you seem to do pretty good.
It has been in a very narrow trading range. You have the Saudi's trying to drive the price down while you have speculators and terrorist activities driving the price up. When the price goes up, more oil will be pumped domestically driving the prioce down.

St. Louis Bob said:
In for 100 UCO @ $44.55
In for another 100 @ $43.73 for 200 @ $44.14
UGA has gotten ####### slaughtered the past two sessions... I'm getting crushed. $40.50 to $38.20.

Almost 6% in two ####### days.
I've noticed mostly because gas has gone up 10% around here this week.
This is what pisses me off the most :hot:

Gas def hasn't fallen 6% in the past two days.

Fund Summary
The investment seeks the daily changes in percentage terms of the spot price of gasoline

Dentist said:
In for 100 UCO @ $44.55
100 UCO here at 43.63
Out 100 UCO at 47.83 for a profit of $420, and of course as always I never pay a dime of commission for my first 100 trades in a month (i've never used more than 15 in a month)
You're with Merrill Lynch right? I need to make a phone call on Monday to Scotrade.
With the independent arm of merrill lynch - merrill edge - if you have 50k the BoA/Merrill combo - back up the truck for the free trades.

Dentist said:
In for 100 UCO @ $44.55
100 UCO here at 43.63
Out 100 UCO at 47.83 for a profit of $420, and of course as always I never pay a dime of commission for my first 100 trades in a month (i've never used more than 15 in a month)
You're with Merrill Lynch right? I need to make a phone call on Monday to Scotrade.
With the independent arm of merrill lynch - merrill edge - if you have 50k the BoA/Merrill combo - back up the truck for the free trades.
Thanks. Do I have to have a BOA account?

Dentist said:
In for 100 UCO @ $44.55
100 UCO here at 43.63
yes, think you need a basic BoA checking acct.

https://www.merrilledge.com/pricing click on offers and rewards

once you deposit your money, the money has to be there 3 months before you qualify for platinum rewards and can get the trades

Dentist said:
In for 100 UCO @ $44.55
100 UCO here at 43.63

once you deposit your money, the money has to be there 3 months before you qualify for platinum rewards and can get the trades
Rats

Dentist said:
In for 100 UCO @ $44.55
100 UCO here at 43.63

:thumbup:

So Vanguard sent me this message after I went in and out of the UCO so fast after selling BABA : Good Faith Violation: A trading violation has occurred due to trading activity in your cash account in which security(s) was sold before payment was received.

Guessing that they want me to carry more cash in my portfolio or have snough cash to hold if I am going to come in and out of things before the settlement time elapses.

So Vanguard sent me this message after I went in and out of the UCO so fast after selling BABA : Good Faith Violation: A trading violation has occurred due to trading activity in your cash account in which security(s) was sold before payment was received.

Guessing that they want me to carry more cash in my portfolio or have snough cash to hold if I am going to come in and out of things before the settlement time elapses.
I don't think more cash is the answer although it may mitigate the issue. I believe it takes one trading session, or say an hour or two if during the day, to go through. If you sold at the bell you'd have to wait till the morning. Your account is credited the money but you don't have the money in your account. The numbers are there so you know it but you can't quickly then flip that into a buy because the number could change based on the time delay it takes to have the trade go through.

10 year rates up to 2.26%, in early April they were 1.8%.

My gut says they could touch up to 3% by end of year. I think the immediate economic forecast is pretty decent and the Fed won't have much of a choice but to make a hike in September. The market consensus is calling December the timing, so we'll see. The Fed beige book which comes out tomorrow will almost certainly be dovish IMO, so the rates will fall tomorrow.

Anyone invested in oil concerned about the OPEC meeting later in the week? I think oil could get slaughtered at weeks end, even though we know they aren't taking their foot off the gas, hearing it from them will still make the market react aggressively. UGA is a long term play for me, but I think it'll be in the $38 range by Friday, down from the almost $41 it closed at today. I'm holding bc as mentioned it is a long term play and I'm not buying/selling/buying/selling this one, but still ready for a violent swing this week.

Anyone else concerned about the oil market this week?

My gut says they could touch up to 3% by end of year. I think the immediate economic forecast is pretty decent and the Fed won't have much of a choice but to make a hike in September. The market consensus is calling December the timing, so we'll see. The Fed beige book which comes out tomorrow will almost certainly be dovish IMO, so the rates will fall tomorrow.

Anyone invested in oil concerned about the OPEC meeting later in the week? I think oil could get slaughtered at weeks end, even though we know they aren't taking their foot off the gas, hearing it from them will still make the market react aggressively. UGA is a long term play for me, but I think it'll be in the $38 range by Friday, down from the almost $41 it closed at today. I'm holding bc as mentioned it is a long term play and I'm not buying/selling/buying/selling this one, but still ready for a violent swing this week.

don't take this the wrong way, but I just want to know what you're going to do so I can do the opposite. $$$

Dentist said:
fantasycurse42 said:

don't take this the wrong way, but I just want to know what you're going to do so I can do the opposite. $$$
I only control a small portion of my finances, but I finally think I'm figuring things out a little bit after about 5 years of playing around... But sure, you can do the opposite, here:

SGYP, strike price $2.90

DTYS, strike price $20.40

UGA, strike price $36.50

That is all I own in my personal etrade account right now.

BTW, 7 hours after I wrote this post, Marketwatch wrote this article.

ETA: They updated this article... Earlier it was about oil falling due to "OPEC chatter"

Dentist said:
fantasycurse42 said:

:goodposting:

Always do the opposite of LHUCKS. :moneybag:

Doctor Detroit said:

:goodposting:

Always do the opposite of LHUCKS. :moneybag:
Doc's first post of a 2.5 year old thread :excited:

I like how there was almost a 12 hour gap between the last post of the thread before his in this thread he had never posted in. So basically he found that post on page 3 of the FFA to reply with his meaningless garbage.

I think Doc visited my profile page, found my response to Dentist, and then posted his response. I guess I'm pretty far under his skin... Then again, my analysis of his real life is pretty spot on.

FTR, oil is unfortunately down about 5% since my post. We'll see what happens after OPEC tomorrow, but it could make for a good entry point next week if oil gets crushed on the information we already know, which will just be reiterated again.

OPEC has some interesting decisions to make in the future though and I think a lot of people in this thread have been playing oil this year.

If they continue to flood the market, we probably have a range of $50-$70 which makes US producers struggle to profit. I need to dig up the article, but I remember reading that Saudi Arabia has a cost of $15ish per barrel at breakeven, while in the US the cost is closer to $50-$60.

With that being said, it still benefits them to have oil in the $80-$100 range even with less market share, which they appear to be defending regardless of cost. Curious how this will continue to play out.

Also, it feels like a game they can't win... I think it is impossible for them to keep oil production out of the United States. They can flood the market, push prices down, reduce US oil output, and then the prices rise again. When the prices rise, US production will resume. Obviously there is more to it, but this feels like a high level overview of the game that they might be playing.

TripItUp said:
I'm looking at the following

HACK

WFC
My personal bias is to pick one or two leading companies in a sector vs go for an ETF with a bunch of stuff that is not necessarily as purely tied to the investing theme as you might think or like. To play cybersecurity, I wouldn't choose companies like SAIC, Cisco,Juniper, Splunk, Harris, etc., even if they have some presence in the space.

What is the outlook on precious medals... silver in particular. Couple weeks ago it jumped to $17.50 or so... maybe a little less and it's back down to $16.30. Was looking to buy a while ago when it was $15.50 but didn't pull the trigger. Is it going down more or just stabilizing?

It takes three trading days to settle a trade. The two real questions here are - is this a margin account and are you classified as a pattern day trader?

You need a margin account if you plan on keeping doing this while fairly fully invested (IRAs are much more restrictive, BTW) with classification as a day trader. Day trading accounts need a minimum balance of 25k last I knew. So you can do this, but you have to play by the rules.

Doctor Detroit said:

:goodposting: Always do the opposite of LHUCKS. :moneybag:
Doc's first post of a 2.5 year old thread :excited:

I like how there was almost a 12 hour gap between the last post of the thread before his in this thread he had never posted in. So basically he found that post on page 3 of the FFA to reply with his meaningless garbage.

I think Doc visited my profile page, found my response to Dentist, and then posted his response. I guess I'm pretty far under his skin... Then again, my analysis of his real life is pretty spot on.
Don't you have to go to your brother's house for your daily handout? Your analysis of everything is terrible, especially what you think my life is like. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread