What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (3 Viewers)

First ***** in the armor of consumer staples.

Clorox was down almost 13% pre market on a bad miss and pressure on margins from inflation and supply chain issues.

CLX is still way too rich here but I want to see if the virus of this report infects the pretty ones too that I like. 

When defensive stocks start getting hit then I can feel more comfortable we may form a broad market bottom.
This is also why I don’t see Amazon as being in bad shape. They have so much in sales that of course they are getting hit by all the same factors. That’s why their report was good and should create a floor for going up from here. 

This is also why I don’t see Amazon as being in bad shape. They have so much in sales that of course they are getting hit by all the same factors. That’s why their report was good and should create a floor for going up from here. 
Amazon is the stock I worry about the least about in my portfolio along with KO, PEP, PG, GIS and my utilities. 

I view Amazon as part of everyday life now like food, water, soft drinks, snacks, household items and keeping he lights on and the AC running. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Never short oil. I got lucky with my DCAing over Tuesday and Wednesday and was able to sell everything yesterday and make almost a penny per share. 

Then I saw NRGU down again bigly this morning and jumped right back in. 

I am such an idiot. 

New cost basis on NRGD at 3.299

It's not in bad shape, but it's basically a grocery store chain with AWS in place of a dividend.

As a shareholder I do like them bending us over for another $20 a year.

LOL - My partner is blaming the prime increase on me buying stuff in November from Amazon and then returning it all used January 31.
I will admit that I had to return a few things and have a big credit but I order so much more on Amazon now than I used to as I keep finding things I buy and if it’s the same as Target, I like having it dropped at my door.

Never short oil. I got lucky with my DCAing over Tuesday and Wednesday and was able to sell everything yesterday and make almost a penny per share. 

Then I saw NRGU down again bigly this morning and jumped right back in. 

I am such an idiot. 

New cost basis on NRGD at 3.299
GL man, I'm not going to join you.  Although I am hearing a lot more talking heads saying they'll be taking profits and this run has to pullback soon.  

@Todem- happy belated birthday, hope it was a good one! You mentioned a bit ago that the only bonds you’d be in are short term inflation protected. They seem to be taking a hit as well. With raising rates on the horizon and any duration being a killer, are we best maybe just holding cash? I am typically 80/20 and don’t want to be all in on equities. Maybe cash is the new bonds? 

There was some knob on CNBC saying "cash is a position." But since that knob and most of us think inflation is likely to persist, is it really?

@Todem- happy belated birthday, hope it was a good one! You mentioned a bit ago that the only bonds you’d be in are short term inflation protected. They seem to be taking a hit as well. With raising rates on the horizon and any duration being a killer, are we best maybe just holding cash? I am typically 80/20 and don’t want to be all in on equities. Maybe cash is the new bonds? 
I am using the ETF TIP

Adjusted for inflation and yielding over 4% now. No more than a 3-4% weighting. And I am using floating rate credit (floating rate loan bond funds) which does very good in a rising interest rate environment.

And cash.

I am using the ETF TIP

Adjusted for inflation and yielding over 4% now. No more than a 3-4% weighting. And I am using floating rate credit (floating rate loan bond funds) which does very good in a rising interest rate environment.

And cash.

Can you please explain to us amateurs how to use "floating rate credit?"   

First ***** in the armor of consumer staples.

Clorox was down almost 13% pre market on a bad miss and pressure on margins from inflation and supply chain issues.

CLX is still way too rich here but I want to see if the virus of this report infects the pretty ones too that I like. 

When defensive stocks start getting hit then I can feel more comfortable we may form a broad market bottom.
I just noticed that the "gallons" of Clorox I just got from Sam's were 122 ounces. Hopefully, that'll help.

FB is just getting slaughtered from a price and media perspective.  Lots of talk about antitrust, competition, poor performance in the early metaverse stage, etc.  I struggle over whether this is a real concern or just talking points to lower the price so big players can gobble it up. 

The chart looks like many other tech stocks from late last year that continued to sell off another 30+% from here.  Surely FB wouldn’t dip all the way down into the $150-$175 range, right?  I mean I suppose it’s possible…

FB is just getting slaughtered from a price and media perspective.  Lots of talk about antitrust, competition, poor performance in the early metaverse stage, etc.  I struggle over whether this is a real concern or just talking points to lower the price so big players can gobble it up. 

The chart looks like many other tech stocks from late last year that continued to sell off another 30+% from here.  Surely FB wouldn’t dip all the way down into the $150-$175 range, right?  I mean I suppose it’s possible…
Man that metaverse looks like something my kid drew. I’m sure they’ll continue to be a data mining Mecca and I own some but sheesh. They’re a laughing stock right now with the youngsters. 

Lot's and lot’s of noise........the stock is on a fire sale. 

That’s all I am going to say again on this one. We are long.

Man that metaverse looks like something my kid drew. I’m sure they’ll continue to be a data mining Mecca and I own some but sheesh. They’re a laughing stock right now with the youngsters. 
I don’t own Facebook (though I’m not really philosophically opposed, really) but I got an Oculus over the weekend and it kind of blew my mind more than I expected.

Additionally, my former organization just won an EDA (Economic Development Association) grant (one I conceptualized and wrote while I was still there) - part of the plan was a partnership with a VR company that has developed VR curriculum for workforce, including one developed in partnership with a major defense contractor that I can’t really name but you’d get right in 1-3 guesses. The outcomes have been remarkable. Anyway, they use the Oculus to deliver the curriculum. Facebook has definitely made some advancements here.

No idea how much more FB falls, but it appears it has not hit its floor yet.

General Malaise said:
5 year chart and my rusty, neophyte tech analysis suggests a floor of $175.  And then, load up.
I'm not sure if you are serious about charting but was looking at it earlier and $175 was the number I settled on.  

I'm not sure if you are serious about charting but was looking at it earlier and $175 was the number I settled on.  
I read about Martin Pring's book 22 years ago and he's the like the godfather of charting.  But I wasn't very good at TA and to be honest, the book put me to sleep most nights.

Still, I think FB has room to fall and I think you saw the same thing JUST from looking at the longer term charts...

General Malaise said:
5 year chart and my rusty, neophyte tech analysis suggests a floor of $175.  And then, load up.
Holding cash to buy at this price, if it doesn’t reach this level in the near future, I put the money to work in either Amazon or Apple.

02/08/22  Axon (AXON) opens its first European R&D office in London. The company has selected its site lead -- who has experience at Microsoft (MSFT) and Amazon (AMZN) -- and aims to get the office staffed in the coming months. We believe this is a great step toward Axon expanding into Europe. If the company can replicate its U.S. law enforcement dominance in Europe, that will significantly help the stock.

Bought on Dec. 10 and am in the green. Going long.

AMC ENTERTAINMENT - EXPLORING OPPORTUNITIES TO OFFER PREPACKAGED AND READY-TO-POP MICROWAVEABLE AMC THEATRES PERFECTLY POPCORN, IN SUPERMARKETS 

Alternate Headline: “Business who insists it’s not dying kind of acting like it knows it’s dying.”

Bought PERI on Monday ahead of an expected good earnings report today and it worked out.

* PERION CONTINUES MOMENTUM, DELIVERING 34% YEAR-OVER-YEAR RECORD REVENUE GROWTH IN THE FOURTH QUARTER WHILE DOUBLING NET INCOME.

AMC ENTERTAINMENT - EXPLORING OPPORTUNITIES TO OFFER PREPACKAGED AND READY-TO-POP MICROWAVEABLE AMC THEATRES PERFECTLY POPCORN, IN SUPERMARKETS 

Alternate Headline: “Business who insists it’s not dying kind of acting like it knows it’s dying.”
It’s amazing how delusional some of the AMC followers are. I’m still not a believer in GME either but they are two completely different situations. I saw some tweets about excitement for slashing some debt all the way down to 7.5%. That’s crazy high nowadays. Popcorn and free NFTs for movies, 😂. Piles of debt, huge dilution over the past couple years and they are still hanging on to some crazy squeeze. It’s funny how the movie ads and promotions almost seem like AMC owns these movies and they still seem to ignore that the fundamentals are still way worse than pre-pandemic and every announcement by the company is record this record that (and in a soft voice - in the last two years).

Madness.  I've never wanted AMC to go away but the valuation was and still is ridiculous. Heck, I've enjoyed their theaters for a long time. 

Madness.  I've never wanted AMC to go away but the valuation was and still is ridiculous. Heck, I've enjoyed their theaters for a long time. 
Valuation is crazy. I don’t think there was a Gordon Gekko out there trying to bankrupt them, just a simple case of a dying business. Their revenue was already falling every year and then collapsed during the pandemic as streaming took off. They are a much worse business right now with revenue far off pre-pandemic levels, way more debt and way more competition and somehow the market cap is still way more than peak because the add 4x the total share count and most of their investors don’t understand that. I don’t think I’ve read a single AMC supporter ever post about fundamental numbers.

Valuation is crazy. I don’t think there was a Gordon Gekko out there trying to bankrupt them, just a simple case of a dying business. Their revenue was already falling every year and then collapsed during the pandemic as streaming took off. They are a much worse business right now with revenue far off pre-pandemic levels, way more debt and way more competition and somehow the market cap is still way more than peak because the add 4x the total share count and most of their investors don’t understand that. I don’t think I’ve read a single AMC supporter ever post about fundamental numbers.
:goodposting:

TWLO up 27% after earnings. I’ll take that. Really starting to think I should have deployed what cash I had left (it’s more like 10% now) on 1/24 when a bunch of stocks looked nice. Still cautious but nice to see.

Users who are viewing this thread