What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (3 Viewers)

Listening to Joe Kiernan today on CNBC, found myself shouting at the screen but he couldn't hear me so I want to let this out here. Not intended to be political at all, this is about economic growth, so hoping this is kosher. Joe was grilling a business person, essentially saying that he should concede that small government with less regulation is obviously better for business than bigger government, more oversight, more entitlements with higher taxes on business and high-earning citizens . The guy didn't budge; those two gentlemen obviously hold opposing views. For my part, and what I was shouting, was about the data which shows that Joe is wrong.

Do we not have enough data since, let's say WWII so about 75 years, that the macroeconomy tends to do better (maybe counterintuitively) when the government is bigger and more active with regulation, even with relatively higher tax rates, than in a more hands-off, "business-friendly" environment? From Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth (paraphrased): From 1948 through 2023, the party holding the presidency has changed hands ten times. Every time a more 'business friendly' administration took over from a more 'big-government, taxation and entitlements" administration, GDP growth fell. Every time the reverse happened, GDP growth rose.

And if that indeed is true and can be defended with data, then I don't know why it is not talked about more, especially in the midst of an election cycle.

ETA: The most recent comment in the Jerome Powell testimony just referenced an editorial written for the Las Vegas Sun, published last week, on this very point. It's pretty easy to find for anyone motivated to do so.

Last edited:
DWAC is looking to vote for another year long extension as they continue to try to merge with TMTG. Price has continued to float between 12.50 and 13.00 a share. Still looks like the merger odds are close to zero.

DWAC is looking to vote for another year long extension as they continue to try to merge with TMTG. Price has continued to float between 12.50 and 13.00 a share. Still looks like the merger odds are close to zero.
I thought there was a SPAC rule that there must be a merger within like a 2 year time period or the SPAC has to be shutdown and funds returned.

I thought there was a SPAC rule that there must be a merger within like a 2 year time period or the SPAC has to be shutdown and funds returned.
That was my understanding as well. Nothing about this SPAC is normal. A three year wait just seems excessive.

I don’t think there is a limit, just need to have some votes to extend the period. I think unless it’s an extreme scenario like DWAC (with a candidate who might be president again), they’d shut it down.

Whaaaaa? YOU DON’T SAY!

SEC Charges Former DWAC Board Member and Others for Insider Trading in DWAC Securities

Defendants made tens of millions of dollars from illegally trading on nonpublic knowledge of DWAC’s plan to acquire Trump Media & Technology Group Corp.
I tell ya, I'm shocked. Shocked I say.

DWAC fanboys, who have been roasting the SEC, now are saying this is good news, and now should clear the way for a clean merger between DWAC and TMTG.

Sold a little bit of my PLTR just to take some risk off the table. In at $6.64, out at $16.27. Wish all my speculative plays worked this well.

Sold a little bit of my PLTR just to take some risk off the table. In at $6.64, out at $16.27. Wish all my speculative plays worked this well.
Did you sell all of your old buys? I feel like you were a big fan way back before it got to single digits. I owned them for a bit but sold back in the 20s, I think.

Did you sell all of your old buys? I feel like you were a big fan way back before it got to single digits. I owned them for a bit but sold back in the 20s, I think.
No, sold about 10% of what I bought around $6-$7. Nice to get some out of a speculative investment but I feel strongly enough about it that it's worth risking the rest to see what happens.

Have a day UWMC!
What happened? No news on cnbc or yahoo.

I don’t think anything company-specific. Lots of smaller companies that got hammered when the rate hikes started had good days.
Good day for a lot of dumb crap I own. Would be nice to see UWMC go after the YTD high.
Yeah...I own enough of this stuff I'll be sitting by Mat this fall at the Footprint Center.

I may trim before the next earning.

Shopify on quite the heater. In the green now on all accounts. Not sure how much I trust it to keep going, may pull the rip cord. Anybody else have thoughts here? Know a few people own a good chunk of it, or they did.

Shopify on quite the heater. In the green now on all accounts. Not sure how much I trust it to keep going, may pull the rip cord. Anybody else have thoughts here? Know a few people own a good chunk of it, or they did.
Thanks for the heads up. Sold mine so you can hang on to yours and profit more.

Speaking of heaters...my retirement accounts are now up almost 50% on the year. I've been trimming to lock in some gains, but so glad I ignored all the negative sentiment at the beginning of the year.

:excited: haven’t followed along here much and mostly indexing still but a guy I ride bicycles with has a Rivian truck I admired a while ago. Decided to put a few thousand into it; I think this is the fastest Double I’ve hit ever. Really wish I had gone with more, but Thems the brakes.

I only have 60 shares. I bought at 32 so it’s up nicely. My son bought 2 shares a month or two ago and is up 60%+ so he’s happy. I should have sold it at the peak when I thought about it but glad I held on so it’s still better than doubled. I’m not sure how much I love it going forward but we seem to be an upswing right now so not really selling anything yet.

:excited: haven’t followed along here much and mostly indexing still but a guy I ride bicycles with has a Rivian truck I admired a while ago. Decided to put a few thousand into it; I think this is the fastest Double I’ve hit ever. Really wish I had gone with more, but Thems the brakes.
Just my opinion, but sell,

Rivian market cap 24.5 billion, Ford 61 billion.

Rivian is aiming for 50,000 deliveries this year. Ford is targeting 600,000 run rate for EVs (150,000 for the Lightning) by the end this year and 2 million by the end of 2026.

Rivian is priced like a tech company, it's not.

Rivian is aiming for 50,000 deliveries this year. Ford is targeting 600,000 run rate for EVs (150,000 for the Lightning) by the end this year and 2 million by the end of 2026.

I am no fan of Rivian (the stock I mean, the cars seem really cool) but you can't really compare these new age EV companies with legacy automakers based on pure sales volume. These legacy automakers are stuck with huge fixed costs with pensions and dealerships that are going to have them at a huge disadvantage on their margins forever.

Also FWIW, Ford can say whatever they want for their "targets". I'm not sure what the last couple months have done but as of May they had only delivered 3,000 Lightnings in 2023.

Of course now it falls a bit. I’ll probably put the order in for half the shares at 2x my purchase price. Ride the “free” shares.

Speaking of heaters...my retirement accounts are now up almost 50% on the year. I've been trimming to lock in some gains, but so glad I ignored all the negative sentiment at the beginning of the year.
I'm at +18.5% for the year so far and am quite happy with that. Not sure I want to see what you have that has juiced you to 50%. :p If the 10 year would just start moderating a bit and not getting crushed over and over I'd really be killing it this year.

Lately all I've been doing is reinvesting dividends that have piled up and rolling over some CDs. At 5.5% I'm actually pretty excited about these. Also been buying a couple corporate bonds - latest one at 5.8% locked in for 5 years. Heck, if I could get that in CDs for the next 30 years I'd just dump all stocks, take the 6%, and retire.

I'm at +18.5% for the year so far and am quite happy with that. Not sure I want to see what you have that has juiced you to 50%. :p If the 10 year would just start moderating a bit and not getting crushed over and over I'd really be killing it this year.

Lately all I've been doing is reinvesting dividends that have piled up and rolling over some CDs. At 5.5% I'm actually pretty excited about these. Also been buying a couple corporate bonds - latest one at 5.8% locked in for 5 years. Heck, if I could get that in CDs for the next 30 years I'd just dump all stocks, take the 6%, and retire.

It is quite nice having an option of fixed income again.

I am no fan of Rivian (the stock I mean, the cars seem really cool) but you can't really compare these new age EV companies with legacy automakers based on pure sales volume. These legacy automakers are stuck with huge fixed costs with pensions and dealerships that are going to have them at a huge disadvantage on their margins forever.

Also FWIW, Ford can say whatever they want for their "targets". I'm not sure what the last couple months have done but as of May they had only delivered 3,000 Lightnings in 2023.

Of course now it falls a bit. I’ll probably put the order in for half the shares at 2x my purchase price. Ride the “free” shares.

Didn’t do this, sold all at $26.00. Guess that worked out alright 🫣 (thanks for pushing me in that direction)

Didn’t do this, sold all at $26.00. Guess that worked out alright 🫣 (thanks for pushing me in that direction)
If it goes up further, but only had a 33% chance of increasing vs. a 67% chance of decreasing, you still made the right decision.

Bought more Disney today because I’m a sucker but also because I guess it’s a pretty good value to me at this price.

Lot of people discussing Apple buying them out, which I’m sure will never happen but still interesting to think about.

Bought more Disney today because I’m a sucker but also because I guess it’s a pretty good value to me at this price.

Lot of people discussing Apple buying them out, which I’m sure will never happen but still interesting to think about.
I'm a big Disney guy and own a bunch but I'm a little worried about their next few earnings reports. I manage vacation rental properties in the area and this summer underperformed most people's expectations in lodging revenue. Could of course just mean more people staying on property at Disney (not to mention oversaturation in the Airbnb market) but I'm also in a lot of Disney groups where people were posting photos of how unusually uncrowded the parks were and how surprisingly short a lot of the ride waits were compared to a typical July (which despite the heat is usually the #1 or #2 most popular month for Disney).

To be fair July was sweltering but it's Florida in July so it's not like it's ever cool. I did see a lot of people posting that the waterparks were packed so maybe more people were just audibling to there due to the heat. And also to be fair the spring break revenue for my properties was the highest ever by a lot, so maybe people just visited earlier in the year this year.

Just something to chew on, but I'll be buying some more as well as I love the company long-term.

Users who are viewing this thread