What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

I don't get the love for PFE - it's been kind of a mediocre performer for awhile. If I was closer to retirement, maybe I'd get it for the dividend income, but otherwise - meh.

Was just curious. When I posted this 3 1/2 years ago, $PFE closed that day at $33.64. Today it closed at $26.13. Sometimes good companies stop being good.

I don't get the love for PFE - it's been kind of a mediocre performer for awhile. If I was closer to retirement, maybe I'd get it for the dividend income, but otherwise - meh.

Was just curious. When I posted this 3 1/2 years ago, $PFE closed that day at $33.64. Today it closed at $26.13. Sometimes good companies stop being good.
I'd argue that PFE has never been good to investors. 1996 is past the statute of limitations for "good".

So I almost bought SOXL at 15 but thought it might dip to 12-13 now I’ve sat on my arse and watched it rip to 30 in basically no time. It may go back to 80 but I just don’t know if I should admit defeat and just buy at 30 and hope for the best.

So I almost bought SOXL at 15 but thought it might dip to 12-13 now I’ve sat on my arse and watched it rip to 30 in basically no time. It may go back to 80 but I just don’t know if I should admit defeat and just buy at 30 and hope for the best.

or $31.5... man this thing moves fast (both ways, unfortunately). I'll dip my toe in again (I bought at 15 and sold around 23 - I try not to hold this too long). From what I understand, lower rates are better for chipmakers, so going by where this was in a better rate environment is a worthwhile gamble.

Being up at all over a stretch where we raised interest rates by as much as we did to finally start to cool off this overheated inflating economy is pretty remarkable.

And then lets do the exercise over 5ish years.

Pretty sure most of the people in history would kill to have had the recent stretch we've had with the markets and assets in general.

Being up at all over a stretch where we raised interest rates by as much as we did to finally start to cool off this overheated inflating economy is pretty remarkable.

And then lets do the exercise over 5ish years.

Pretty sure most of the people in history would kill to have had the recent stretch we've had with the markets and assets in general.

2020's covid crash tried the patience of a lot of us. I for one refused to open my portfolio for two weeks. When I did, I almost fainted. But patience, some adroit active investments and of course, a LOT of luck (looking at you, BEEM) helped turn the ship around.

To be clear, I hit it out of the park with TVIX and CYDY. But if you keep taking swings like that, you eventually whiff on HGEN and QS and BLDP and....

Wild-eyed speculation is now confined to AFMJF and MP, two miners of non-precious metals. What hath GM wrought?

Trimmed a little AMZN today, to finish refunding my checking account from the amount I transferred last year to double down. When that is returned, my taxable rainy-day fund will still be 20% larger than it was when I started. This also means BX is now my largest holding, so I managed to lose money today :lmao:

Tech stock watchlist alert:

TTD

The Trade Desk.

Going to start a position in this really good online advertising company. Their IP is very good and to me makes them the leader in the customized algorithm advertising space.

This is a long term type of hold and being down 15% (opened almost 20% down) I see a nice entry point today.

Taking half of my intended position today. And we will see how it moves next week.
+21% since I coat tailed a position in TTD. Still room to run or taking some profit before the next round of earnings?

Opened a small position today in CNHI to buy & hang onto for awhile.

Company is de-listing from Milan stock exchange & will be listed only on NYSE beginning 1/2/24 - was mentioned a couple of time's on a Barron's "Streetwise" podcast I listen to - including an interview with the CEO on 11/24.

TTD

The Trade Desk.

Going to start a position in this really good online advertising company. Their IP is very good and to me makes them the leader in the customized algorithm advertising space.

This is a long term type of hold and being down 15% (opened almost 20% down) I see a nice entry point today.

Taking half of my intended position today. And we will see how it moves next week.
+21% since I coat tailed a position in TTD. Still room to run or taking some profit before the next round of earnings?
I’ve owned it for a while. Had a lot more and wish I kept more of it. Did sell some closer to $100 as well, so that worked. My cost basis is $17 and I’m not planning to sell the rest for a bit.

Anyone trimming UWMC? I'm enjoying the ride but starting to get nervous. Sold 10% yesterday and still have a decent chunk thinking about another 10% haircut.

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.

Anyone trimming UWMC? I'm enjoying the ride but starting to get nervous. Sold 10% yesterday and still have a decent chunk thinking about another 10% haircut.
I think I'm gonna hang onto it. The dividends are nice and I kinda wanna see this out a little more, especially if interests rates start easing and we maybe see some more house action the next 18 months or so.

Plus these people that bought during this last stretch of high rates will be refinancing in droves once things settle.

Nice to get AFRM back on track. Good Black Friday spending and new expanded partnership with Walmart. I’m still underwater, but getting back close!

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.
Didn't get in on that one because I had stuffed every nook and cranny I could find with XLU when Todem wrote about that. That is/was a great call. Up 13% and sheds 4% every year. I'll take utilities on sale every day. Bought more EXC, too.

:thumbup:

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.
Dude, c’mon :kicksrock:. I told you guys in this thread about TTD back in 2020. +340% on the shares I still own. Definitely one of the top picks I made when I started buying individual stocks.

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.
Dude, c’mon :kicksrock:. I told you guys in this thread about TTD back in 2020. +340% on the shares I still own. Definitely one of the top picks I made when I started buying individual stocks.

Seriously. It’s my 5th largest holding now, we talked about this one constantly (especially when SNAP reported and destroyed everything adtech quarter after quarter.)

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.
Lol sorry. I am sure I missed it.

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.
Lol sorry. I am sure I missed it.
No worries, I was just messing with you although @McBokonon is right we always talked about it because every time SNAP blew up, it was one of the advertising companies that dropped too.

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.

Seriously. It’s my 5th largest holding now, we talked about this one constantly (especially when SNAP reported and destroyed everything adtech quarter after quarter.)
I think it’s always been my #2.

I think I'm gonna hang onto it. The dividends are nice and I kinda wanna see this out a little more, especially if interests rates start easing and we maybe see some more house action the next 18 months or so.

Plus these people that bought during this last stretch of high rates will be refinancing in droves once things settle.

I am hanging on as well. Thinking of keeping it very longterm as the housing market is very much in chaos. Thinking there will be continued see-saws though as I dont think the housing market is out of the woods quite yet, but once it does I expect UWMC to really take off. Plus the healthy dividends are nice. The see-saw dips may be times to add more IMO.

TTD

The Trade Desk.

+18% for me. GB Todem.
Great pick Stbugs!

First world problems but I have a bump in investable cash that just hit the account right as we sit here at ATHs. I know the math says to just dump it all in (time in the market beats timing the market) but I think for my mental state I’ll DCA in over 3-6 months.

It gives me a chance to reconsider investment approach as well. I’m leaning towards an ETF-based approach across different large/mid/small and growth/value funds, rebalancing 2-3 times a year. What large tech/magnificent 7 has done the past two years really has me thinking. They got hammered in 2022, so if rebalancing back into Large Growth you would have bought low going into the complete tear they’ve been on this year.

On the flip side, in a taxable account rebalancing seems like a way to have to pay taxes on the regular as you’re always selling the winners to buy more of the losers, locking in capital gains. So maybe that’s more of a tax-advantaged accounts game.

Any thoughts or resources to share on the topic?

First world problems but I have a bump in investable cash that just hit the account right as we sit here at ATHs. I know the math says to just dump it all in (time in the market beats timing the market) but I think for my mental state I’ll DCA in over 3-6 months

Figured this afternoon's dip was a good time to start, equal amounts of Large/mid/small growth and value funds, so 6 total positions with about 1/3 of my currently investable cash deployed. Will plan on doing the same thing in 30-45 days or so.

What tf happened
Profit taking.

With that sort of sudden velocity?
Absolutely.

Endowments
Hedge Funds
Mutual Fund Managers

Big big money doing Portfolio Rebalancing/Tax Harvesting

You will see this added back before year end and maybe even another 1% more as a cherry on top of this awesome Santa Claus Rally that started back at the very end of October.

Enjoy it Gents.

1st half of next year will be in my estimation a pull back which will present another buying opportunity for patient long term investors.

Back half of next year we see the new cyclical bull.

This has been a broad based rally the last 4-5 weeks.

And yet there is still some value in certain sectors.

FDX looks like a nice buy down here.

We got called out at $220 and were not unhappy as we had got them in the Pandemic 100% ago.

Looks like a value here after todays thrashing on weaker guidance for next year.....I am not thinking 2024

I am thinking 2025 or 2026 and another run.

Anyway it's been a wild ride this year.

A good year.

Last edited:
What tf happened
Profit taking.

With that sort of sudden velocity?
Absolutely.

Endowments
Hedge Funds
Mutual Fund Managers

Big big money doing Portfolio Rebalancing/Tax Harvesting

You will see this added back before year end and maybe even another 1% more as a cherry on top of this awesome Santa Claus Rally that started back at the very end of October.

Enjoy it Gents.

1st half of next year will be in my estimation a pull back which will present another buying opportunity for patient long term investors.

Back half of next year we see the new cyclical bull.

This has been a broad based rally the last 4-5 weeks.

And yet there is still some value in certain sectors.

FDX looks like a nice buy down here.

We got called out at $220 and were not unhappy as we had got them in the Pandemic 100% ago.

Looks like a value here after todays thrashing on weaker guidance for next year.....I am not thinking 2024

I am thinking 2025 or 2026 and another run.

Anyway it's been a wild ride this year.

A good year.
Yep. Been rebalancing and tax harvesting for a week now. Just have my wife's accounts left.

First world problems but I have a bump in investable cash that just hit the account right as we sit here at ATHs. I know the math says to just dump it all in (time in the market beats timing the market) but I think for my mental state I’ll DCA in over 3-6 months.

It gives me a chance to reconsider investment approach as well. I’m leaning towards an ETF-based approach across different large/mid/small and growth/value funds, rebalancing 2-3 times a year. What large tech/magnificent 7 has done the past two years really has me thinking. They got hammered in 2022, so if rebalancing back into Large Growth you would have bought low going into the complete tear they’ve been on this year.

On the flip side, in a taxable account rebalancing seems like a way to have to pay taxes on the regular as you’re always selling the winners to buy more of the losers, locking in capital gains. So maybe that’s more of a tax-advantaged accounts game.

Any thoughts or resources to share on the topic?
Nothing wrong with taking your time when cash sitting in a money market is making 5% with zero risk. Since the FOMC it's not even worth looking at CDs for an extra 0.25. I'm building cash into my fixed income allocation until rates start to drop. Why not, zero risk.

I'm doing similar to you. Basically 55% into borad spectrum across US indexes. 20% international and 25% fixed income. Except the taxable accounts where I cant get away from the gains Im leaving the world of individual stocks for those younger than me.

ETA: I discovered that Fidelity has 4 zero expense ratio index funds. And lots of funds purposely besting Vanguard expenses ratios.

Company is de-listing from Milan stock exchange & will be listed only on NYSE beginning 1/2/24 - was mentioned a couple of time's on a Barron's "Streetwise" podcast I listen to - including an interview with the CEO on 11/24.

Love me some red tractors.

Love me some red tractors.

Used to work for Case Credit in the 90s and got to monkey around with their combines, tractors and quadtracs at some shows/demos. Amazing how nice those things are.

Had a few business meetings in Racine, WI
Amazing how nice that city is not. :)

General question for 2024: due to my life circumstances (I’m getting older) and market forces (rates look to stabilize if not drop next year), it’s time to rethink my allocation. I’ve always been an aggressive investor, to the tune of 80/10/10 in my accounts: stocks/bonds/cash. Feels like a good time to get closer to 60/40, or for me probably 60/30/10, since I like having some ready cash to deploy plus money market is paying over 5%.

My question is on the bond side. I bought some TLT in the fall. If I’m to grow my bond exposure in 2024, what’s the best way to do that? More TLT? Another ETF? I’ve focused so much on stocks the past 30 years, and indeed this is the Stock thread, but I’m looking for guidance on bonds. TIA. Hope you agree this is a reasonable thread to pose the question—I don’t think we need a separate thread for discussing bonds.

Users who are viewing this thread