What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strangest Guitar Solos Of All Time (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
Yup - another music thread.

One of my favorite YouTube contributors is Rick Beato, who many know of - does a lot of music theory analyses of songs, artists, etc. that are easily digestible by non-musicians like myself.

Came across one of his "best of" lists about the top 20 strangest guitar solos that I thought was interesting. Figured the music masses would be interested in critiquing his list and coming up with some omissions. Here's the list with the time stamps in case you don't want to go through the whole 17 minute video (his facial expressions are worth the watch though). Have at it.

20. "Driven To Tears" - The Police (Andy Summers) 0:30 mark
19. "Painkiller" - Judas Priest (K.K. Downing) 1:19
18. "Black Hole Sun" - Soundgarden (Kim Thayil) 2:12
17. "Heart-Shaped Box" - Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) 3:00
16. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars (Elliot Easton) 3:30
15. "Symphony of Destruction" - Megadeth (Marty Friedman) 4:13
14. "Cut To The Chase" - Rush (Alex Lifeson) 5:09
13: "The Sails of Charon" - Scorpions (Uli Jon Roth) 5:55
12. "Zero" - Smashing Pumpkins (James Iha) 6:34
11. "Bulls on Parade" - Rage Against The Machine (Tom Morello) 7:10
10. "Goodbye Divinity" - Sons of Apollo (Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal) 7:53
9. "Sunny Days" - The Drills (Phil X) 8:30
8. "Jordan" - Buckethead 9:04
7. "The Attitude Song" - Steve Vai 9:52
6. "Fives" - Guthrie Govan 10:32
5. "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" - Yes (Trevor Rabin) 11:35
4. "Sinner's Swing!" - Van Halen (Eddie Van Halen) 12:32
3. "Five-Five-Five" - Frank Zappa 13:04
2. "Tokyo Dream" - Allan Holdsworth 14:15
1. "Sacatterbrain (live)" - Jeff Beck 15:13

Watched this a few months back. I found it interesting.

There's a great thread over at Steve Hoffman forums about best guitar solos ever. Hey, I wanted to ask you since you're doing them and I nominated this one but I didn't want to offer up any spoilers in your MAD countdown.

Who did the guitar solo to "Little Girl In Bloom" by Thin Lizzy?

Watched this a few months back. I found it interesting.

There's a great thread over at Steve Hoffman forums about best guitar solos ever. Hey, I wanted to ask you since you're doing them and I nominated this one but I didn't want to offer up any spoilers in your MAD countdown.

Who did the guitar solo to "Little Girl In Bloom" by Thin Lizzy?
No spoilers - "Little Girl in Bloom" just missed my list, but in hindsight I probably should have included it. That's original guitarist Eric Bell doing the solo.

No spoilers - "Little Girl in Bloom" just missed my list, but in hindsight I probably should have included it. That's original guitarist Eric Bell doing the solo.

Thanks. Love that song. I originally had Phil Lynott doing it and somebody corrected me but they didn't know for sure either. They said something to the effect of, "I think it was Eric Bell . . . but I'm not sure."

Thanks. Love that song. I originally had Phil Lynott doing it and somebody corrected me but they didn't know for sure either. They said something to the effect of, "I think it was Eric Bell . . . but I'm not sure."
Yeah, it's Bell. His solo sounds a bit like his "Whiskey In The Jar" solo (spoiler alert: it will be in the top 31 :)) Phil played bass there, and it's killer too. Man, I need to redo my list - I just listened again and didn't give this song enough credit. :(

I meant about omitting Little Girl.

Aw, yeah, I'm sure the list is great anyway. I happened to come across "Little Girl" from an indie/punk cover of it and was immediately blown away by the spacing and silence of the song structure. It just sort of gives all that sweetness of sentiment mixed with the tension and gravity of the subject matter -- especially in the area where she is (Ireland, right?) -- room to breathe a minute. To wash over the listener. It lands with a whopper of a track.

Yngwie sounding a little like Holdsworth.

Robert Fripp on Brian Eno's "Baby's On Fire" (long solo starts at 1:36 mark)

You can probably say most of Fripp's solos are strange, but this one is a doozy.

Users who are viewing this thread