What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

Deadwood (HBO)

I'm sure there's a Deadwood thread someplace, but I don't want to look for it.  I had never seen this series.  I just completed S1 and watched S2 E1.   The story line in S1 was pretty dull and S2E1 was better than anything from S1. 

I think the only reason I continue to watch it is for the Ian McShane character.  One of my new favorite television characters.  Yeah, he's a vile bad guy, but man, he has some really great dialogue.  Very funny. 

Long Ball Larry said:
I finally finished the season and I would say that the answer is no, for some of the reasons that you alluded to.  I think it was either a cliffhanger for a story still in progress or just her bittersweet memory of an alternate reality (does that even make sense?) that she knows she wants but just can't have.

I also thought that the Chef Jeff storyline ended a little bit abruptly and the general writing of all of that was a little bit stilted, though Bobby Canavale was good and clearly one of the best actors on the show.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/aziz-ansari-recaps-master-of-none-season-2-finale.html

Deadwood (HBO)

I'm sure there's a Deadwood thread someplace, but I don't want to look for it.  I had never seen this series.  I just completed S1 and watched S2 E1.   The story line in S1 was pretty dull and S2E1 was better than anything from S1. 

I think the only reason I continue to watch it is for the Ian McShane character.  One of my new favorite television characters.  Yeah, he's a vile bad guy, but man, he has some really great dialogue.  Very funny. 
Is Deadwood currently on Netflix? I've searched but didn't see it.

Just watched the Castlevania.  Pretty good. Short.  Comedy was unexpected and had me laugh a bit.  The action was cool for a cartoon.  If you ever played castelvania you need to check it out

Just watched "You've Been Trumped", about the construction of Trump's golf course in Scotland. I've never been a fan, but I had no idea just how much of a scumbag he really is. The way he treated some of the locals who live alongside the property is just astonishing.
Mods, please move this thread to the politics subforum.

tia

Deadwood could have concluded with a laser-blasting space war and it'd still be one of my all-time favorite series.
I'm just watching the series for the first time and midway through S2, and I can't get over how much I love every line that comes out of Ian McShane's mouth.  His lines were written by a genius.

And the Annie Oakley character reminds me of what it would be like if someone had a camera on me driving to work every morning. (MF'in dirty CSer!!)

I hadn't heard of it before and saw it highlighted on Netflix, so we gave it a shot. Friends from College. We didn't even make it through the first episode. It has a good cast that is kinda wasted here. I don't mind shows about a group of people who at their core aren't very nice, like Seinfeld or Sunny, but none of these people are likeable. Not good.

After that I decided to give GLOW a shot and expected to last as long with it but was pleasantly surprised, especially getting to see Alison Brie topless not once but twice! The show does have a lot of heart and it's easy to root for many of the characters right away. I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I know it's on Amazon, but we just finished the first season of Catastrophe. Loved the first episode, it fell off a little in the middle but finished pretty strong. Will definitely stick with it.

Yeah... glow was decent. Maron and Larson fantastic. Not tip top stuff... A little slight... but good.

We started watching Gypsy, with Naomi Watts and Billy Crudup... pretty much because they're in it. Two episodes and seems pretty mediocre- not well written and overall story idea feels boring and goofy. Don't think we'll do any more.

Almost done with Shooter which is also poorly written and not well acted. Kinda pot committed at this point with only a few episodes left, but I could just as easily walk. Not great.

I hadn't heard of it before and saw it highlighted on Netflix, so we gave it a shot. Friends from College. We didn't even make it through the first episode. It has a good cast that is kinda wasted here. I don't mind shows about a group of people who at their core aren't very nice, like Seinfeld or Sunny, but none of these people are likeable. Not good.
They might be hitting with the younger crowd but I find most of the writing of the NFLX originals to be simplistic, warn out, full of plot holes, and weak. I think they'll need to write the ship if their model is going to be successful long-term.

We started watching Gypsy, with Naomi Watts and Billy Crudup... pretty much because they're in it. Two episodes and seems pretty mediocre- not well written and overall story idea feels boring and goofy. Don't think we'll do any more.
I think you mean to call it "Red Shoe Diary: My Zipper is Stuck"...

After that I decided to give GLOW a shot and expected to last as long with it but was pleasantly surprised, especially getting to see Alison Brie topless not once but twice! The show does have a lot of heart and it's easy to root for many of the characters right away. I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I know it's on Amazon, but we just finished the first season of Catastrophe. Loved the first episode, it fell off a little in the middle but finished pretty strong. Will definitely stick with it.
You are like Me from 24-48 hours after n the future. Just started glow and you beat me to the Alison Brie topless comment.

also binged all of friends from college tonight somewhat randomly and will be back to comment further later.

also started catastrophe at one point but need to go back.

I don't get the love for Maron in GLOW. He was basically playing himself. Yea, he had the best lines, but I was totally unimpressed by the performance/role. 

Good series though. I hope there's a season two.  I love Alison Bree, but they are pretty unflattering to her with the makeup.  She's still a doll though <3

Caught "Five Came Back" yesterday. It's probably already been discussed here but, in short, it's about the five Hollywood directors enlisted to film WWII as it happened (to a point). Frank Capra, John Ford, George Stevens, William Wyler, and John Huston were a Murderer's Row of past-and-future Oscar winners. There is a current-day director assigned to each and there are archival interviews with each of the Five themselves. Plus, of course, tons of footage (a lot of which was suppressed by the military). Meryl Streep narrates.

The pacing felt weird to me but, as it's only 3 hour-long episodes, I'd suggest watching it all in one sitting to smooth the rough patches out a little. For instance, Ford drops out of the narrative for a long time - though, it's probably understandable since he went on an epic drunk after filming D Day and got sent home.

If you're a fan of history and/or the movies, I'd strongly recommend this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... glow was decent. Maron and Larson fantastic. Not tip top stuff... A little slight... but good.

Almost done with Shooter which is also poorly written and not well acted. Kinda pot committed at this point with only a few episodes left, but I could just as easily walk. Not great.
Watching Shooter now based on your recommendation.  Plus I'm sick so if I don't enjoy the show there's a good chance I'll post some really mean comments about you.

I know this is for "Netflix" but I am too lazy to find the thread for "Amazon Prime"

Just finished watching The Tunnel - originally done by Sky and Canal+ and based on a Danish/Swedish show "The Bridge".  Its a basic crime drama - that pairs a Detective from England (Stephen Dillane - Stannis Baratheon for GOT fans) and one from France (Clémence Poésy - played Fleur Delacour in Harry Potter) to bring down a terror plot - originating in the Chunnel. 

Poesy's character is a bit on the autistic scale - very smart/observant, low social skills - plus she like sex with random guys (only one real sex scene though).

There are two seasons out - season 1 is on Amazon Prime, season 2 is showing on PBS right now.  We made the mistake of watching the 1st episode of season 2, thinking it was season 1 - before going back to watch season 1.  

If you liked Broadchurch, or similar, you will like this.  Like most British crime drama's good character development, and multi-dimensional characters to work with.

I can't remember, but I think there were two versions of this... a web series and longer ones. I feel like we watched a handful of the shorter ones one night and found them kinda sorta funny, but not enough to go back in for more.

hbo's animals series is kinda worth a watch, IMO- animated and bizarre, with moments of twisted humor. 

shame to watch big little lies, but not westworld. big little lies could've been *ok* if they had ditched the police interviewees idiotic greek chorus. but never hits anything remotely transcendent. westworld had moments of greatness, IMO. should be watched.

and definitely you should watch the leftovers, which takes a little to get into (for me) but has some top-notch story-telling and acting. 
Watching this now.  It's not bad and i want to live where they live.

And I'm still sick. 

Finished Deadwood over the weekend.

One of the best series with most unsatisfying endings ever.

This thing just leaves you begging for one more season.  Or one more episode at the very least.
i rewatched it a few months back. it's great series, among the best really, but everyone agrees it ended too soon. 

So you guys were right: Master of None season 2 gets better and better.

However, Glow has some serious problems. I'm a Marc Maron fan, and he's good in this series. But Glow looks like it was slapped together in a politically-correct think tank. I am all for diversity in film and TV. The coolest character in Star Wars: Rouge One was an blind Asian dude (Donnie Yen). That movie does diversity well and it's seamless. But in the new Guy Ritchie King Arthur disaster, we see a black guy and an Asian guy shoe-horned into the knights of the round table. Awful. In Glow, we have a show that could have been great. I am all for the "yay for women" vibe that the show was going for. However, this #### is ridiculous. One Asian lady? Check. One Black lady? Check. One gender-neutral lady? Check. One overweight lady? Check. Ridiculous.

I binged both seasons of Master of None last week. Pretty good show, not always laugh-out-loud funny, but mostly feels authentic. The episode with all the first dates was my favorite. The one scene with the Italian girl at his apartment was cringeworthy and thankfully the only really awful moment.

I binged both seasons of Master of None last week. Pretty good show, not always laugh-out-loud funny, but mostly feels authentic. The episode with all the first dates was my favorite. The one scene with the Italian girl at his apartment was cringeworthy and thankfully the only really awful moment.
The show is rarely hilarious. But it does two things really well: the ethnic humor and the photography. It's not easy to make a show with critiques on race and gender without being tame or offensive, and I think MoN does that well. And I think it's the best-looking comedy I've ever seen in terms of the lighting and the camera work.

The show is rarely hilarious. But it does two things really well: the ethnic humor and the photography. It's not easy to make a show with critiques on race and gender without being tame or offensive, and I think MoN does that well. And I think it's the best-looking comedy I've ever seen in terms of the lighting and the camera work.
His parents are pretty funny.

His parents are pretty funny.
Oh for sure. I just meant that the show isn't going for the big laugh all the time.

Finished Deadwood over the weekend.

One of the best series with most unsatisfying endings ever.

This thing just leaves you begging for one more season.  Or one more episode at the very least.
Supposedly there is a movie coming out that will tie a bow on it for those of us who didn't realize the plug was pulled in season 3.

Users who are viewing this thread