What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strength of Schedule (1 Viewer)

Jockstraps

Footballguy
Has anyone seen the Strength of Schedule article and charts that Clayton Gray puts out yet for this year.

How much empahsis do you put on SOS during your draft?

Question for Clayton Gray.

I assume that at some point during the season, your USOS stops using 2011 data (or becomes overwhelmed by 2012 data). What week does this occur, or if it's not an exact week each year, approximately when does this occur?

Thanks.

In one league, I like to use SOS at the end of the season.

I tend to look at matchups during the playoffs to see if I should grab additional depth since we get shut off for pickups during the playoffs.

So while I was waiting for Gray to respond, I thought I'd check to see if there was any reliability to the SOS at the beginning of the season. I looked at the SOS for week 17, both at week 17 and at week 1, and ran correlations for each position. I looked at the SOS for 2009 to 2011. The results were interesting. Almost all were positive, some much more than others. The results are below.

2009 2010 2011 AverageQB .28 .17 .24 .23RB .76 .52 .62 .63WR .21 .23 .38 .24TE -.03 -.06 .15 .02K .37 .44 .07 .29TD .81 .40 .35 .52
That suggests rushing defenses and poor offenses are somewhat predictable at the beginning of the season. Passing and kicking defenses are harder to predict and trying to predict defenses against TEs is nearly impossible.

So while I was waiting for Gray to respond, I thought I'd check to see if there was any reliability to the SOS at the beginning of the season. I looked at the SOS for week 17, both at week 17 and at week 1, and ran correlations for each position. I looked at the SOS for 2009 to 2011. The results were interesting. Almost all were positive, some much more than others. The results are below.

Code:
        2009    2010    2011      AverageQB 	.28   	.17   	.24        .23RB 	.76   	.52   	.62        .63WR 	.21   	.23   	.38        .24TE 	-.03    -.06   	.15        .02K 	.37   	.44   	.07        .29TD 	.81   	.40   	.35        .52
That suggests rushing defenses and poor offenses are somewhat predictable at the beginning of the season. Passing and kicking defenses are harder to predict and trying to predict defenses against TEs is nearly impossible.
i dont know about this. what did you use as TE defense? was it pass defense or TE defense? those are very different things. stl was good vs the TE and crappy vs the pass for example. philly was the opposite. also, your not adjusting for opponents-opponents. playing gronk is very different than playing jeff king. a much larger difference than calvin vs little for exampleOR maybe im just misreading this. could you explain how you got those numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread