What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sumo Wrestlers on OL? (1 Viewer)

Limp Dogg Bizkits

Footballguy
For some reason, the Matt Jones at DB thread got me thinking. Would a Sumo Wrestler make a good OL? Seems like they have the skill set needed. Low center of gravity, good hands, good balance. Size, strength, etc.... Has this been tried before?

Also, why not have some 7-2 guy on your FG block team? He could stand right behind the front line, and have a legitimate shot at blocking or altering fg's.

For some reason, the Matt Jones at DB thread got me thinking. Would a Sumo Wrestler make a good OL? Seems like they have the skill set needed. Low center of gravity, good hands, good balance. Size, strength, etc.... Has this been tried before?

Also, why not have some 7-2 guy on your FG block team? He could stand right behind the front line, and have a legitimate shot at blocking or altering fg's.
The Replacements down?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sumo's would be great hockey goalies. Just stuff them in the net and nothing will be able to get through.

For some reason, the Matt Jones at DB thread got me thinking. Would a Sumo Wrestler make a good OL? Seems like they have the skill set needed. Low center of gravity, good hands, good balance. Size, strength, etc.... Has this been tried before?Also, why not have some 7-2 guy on your FG block team? He could stand right behind the front line, and have a legitimate shot at blocking or altering fg's.
I don't think sumo wrestlers have the foot quickness necessary to an OL. They're used to fighting guys their size and speed in a finite space. Pass rushers would blow by them in a heartbeat. As defensive run stuffers, maybe. But either way, the conditioning required to get them on the field would lower their weight considerably as well. OL are a lot more athletic than they get credit for.

In other news, Stoner Architects create "all Foyer" Mansion.

For some reason, the Matt Jones at DB thread got me thinking. Would a Sumo Wrestler make a good OL? Seems like they have the skill set needed. Low center of gravity, good hands, good balance. Size, strength, etc.... Has this been tried before?Also, why not have some 7-2 guy on your FG block team? He could stand right behind the front line, and have a legitimate shot at blocking or altering fg's.
I don't think sumo wrestlers have the foot quickness necessary to an OL. They're used to fighting guys their size and speed in a finite space. Pass rushers would blow by them in a heartbeat. As defensive run stuffers, maybe. But either way, the conditioning required to get them on the field would lower their weight considerably as well. OL are a lot more athletic than they get credit for.
sumo are a lot quicker and more powerful than you give them credit for. the essential difference between sumo and O/D-line work is not the physical skills. sumo is filled with real athletes, however counter-intuitive it may seem to most. the difference between sumo and its goals versus football is considerable. sumo is a combination of power, leverage and quickness but much of that is in grappling. grappling is "holding" in the NFL. sumo also happens in a very confined space: the basho ring. finally, the training for both begins at a an early age. sumo wrestlers would have to learn everything about football, essentially from scratch. the learning curve would likely be insurmountable. the football players would face the same difficulties in learning sumo.

I think Al Davis once addressed this very question regarding the Sumo wrestlers, either as OL or DTs. He emphasized the conditioning aspect.I have wondered myself why teams don't sign a designated FG blocker a la Manute Bol or Greg Muresean(sp?). I know a tall skinny guy like Manute would get his legs chopped out from under him, but I'm sure there are some guys who are hefty enough to withstand the physical punishment. Heck, you don't even need a 7-footer. Get a 6'6" CBA type who can jump out of the gym.

I think you're not giving enough credit to how athletic real sumo wrestlers are. I have no doubt they are as athletic if not more so than many OLmen. The biggest difference is that their sport is basically about WRESTLING. They grab to throw their opponents off balance. That's a big no-no in the NFL. I don't think they'd get bull rushed though. :blackdot:

sumo are a lot quicker and more powerful than you give them credit for. the essential difference between sumo and O/D-line work is not the physical skills. sumo is filled with real athletes, however counter-intuitive it may seem to most. the difference between sumo and its goals versus football is considerable. sumo is a combination of power, leverage and quickness but much of that is in grappling. grappling is "holding" in the NFL. sumo also happens in a very confined space: the basho ring. finally, the training for both begins at a an early age. sumo wrestlers would have to learn everything about football, essentially from scratch. the learning curve would likely be insurmountable. the football players would face the same difficulties in learning sumo.
Beat me to it. :confused: :blackdot:

i like their odds at defensive lineman better... now that i think of it, big pat williams for the vikings might make a good sumo wrestler...

The Patriots drafted Eugene Chung back in 1992 and I remember **** Mcpherson raving about him because he was trained in Sumo wrestling or something along those lines. He stunk.

Would totally depend on the individual, I guess. Never say never. Get someone who's dedicated enough to learn the nuances and I think they could do it.

It's not sumo, but Carlton Haselrig was a 6 time NCAA champion heavyweight wrestler. May have been an Olympian too(can't recall. I do know he beat Kurt Angle at one point in his NCAA career, so that may be confusing me). If he wasn't an Olympian, he had a couple world junior titles at least. Dude never even played football in college. Totally focused on wrestling. Took a few years, and he did start off as a DT, but Haselrig was a Pro Bowler for Pittsburgh as a guard before he screwed his life up.

I'd wager there are more sumo guys than you'd think who could make the jump and be successful, but the ones good enough/dedicated enough to educate/train themselves for it are probably already being treated like royalty in their home country(sumo is a BIG deal there). Why bother?

I think Al Davis once addressed this very question regarding the Sumo wrestlers, either as OL or DTs. He emphasized the conditioning aspect.I have wondered myself why teams don't sign a designated FG blocker a la Manute Bol or Greg Muresean(sp?). I know a tall skinny guy like Manute would get his legs chopped out from under him, but I'm sure there are some guys who are hefty enough to withstand the physical punishment. Heck, you don't even need a 7-footer. Get a 6'6" CBA type who can jump out of the gym.
Sumo wrestling matches usually last less than 15 seconds. As soon as they push their opponent out of the ring or to the mat one time the match is over. They could probably be pretty dominant for a few plays each quarter, but they don't have near the stamina of NFLers, or FBGs for that matter.

Would totally depend on the individual, I guess. Never say never. Get someone who's dedicated enough to learn the nuances and I think they could do it.

It's not sumo, but Carlton Haselrig was a 6 time NCAA champion heavyweight wrestler. May have been an Olympian too(can't recall. I do know he beat Kurt Angle at one point in his NCAA career, so that may be confusing me). If he wasn't an Olympian, he had a couple world junior titles at least. Dude never even played football in college. Totally focused on wrestling. Took a few years, and he did start off as a DT, but Haselrig was a Pro Bowler for Pittsburgh as a guard before he screwed his life up.

I'd wager there are more sumo guys than you'd think who could make the jump and be successful, but the ones good enough/dedicated enough to educate/train themselves for it are probably already being treated like royalty in their home country(sumo is a BIG deal there). Why bother?
This is probably the correct answer. They are like rock stars over there from what I understand.

The six year plan. :thumbup:

The six year plan. :rolleyes:
:confused: I'm laughing at myself for not catching that!

I'm probably one of the few here that feel this way, but I side with Conrad Dobler on this one....I think the OL guys now are just big fat aces. I don't see much athletic ability at all.

Just look at those guts when they are running on and off the field. I am really surprised that there hasn't been a heart attack or two on the field. That DLineman for the Vikings (Pat Williams?) ran a INT back 80 yards and he was out of the game for a quarter and a half.

Am i wrong, or dont you have to have SOME speed to be a tackle in the NFL? Sure theyd make a good guard. Yeah i can see how a DT with a 3 ft wide backside might clog up the running lanes, so that could work too.

I always thought you should train a sumo wrestler to be a goalie in hockey. Slap the goalie gear on and there would not be much open net to shoot at.

I'm probably one of the few here that feel this way, but I side with Conrad Dobler on this one....I think the OL guys now are just big fat aces. I don't see much athletic ability at all.Just look at those guts when they are running on and off the field. I am really surprised that there hasn't been a heart attack or two on the field. That DLineman for the Vikings (Pat Williams?) ran a INT back 80 yards and he was out of the game for a quarter and a half.
When the rules changed to allow guys to hold (inside the shoulders), it changed the dynamics from guys who needed to move and used lateral quickness (basically Denver Bronco OLmen) to guys who just need to be able to get thier hands on defenders. In about 15 years the league went from a 300lber being a rarity to a 300lber being too small. Back on subject, I think that a sumo type body most effective as a NT or "run stuffing" DT.

I always thought you should train a sumo wrestler to be a goalie in hockey. Slap the goalie gear on and there would not be much open net to shoot at.
I think that's like having the really short guy on the baseball team for when you absolutely have to draw a walk -- it's so outside the spirit of the game, it's difficult to imagine who would do it.I think the really tall guy to block kicks would have to be able to contribute in some other way in order to make a roster. If he were fast enough to catch on as a 5th wide receiver and durable enough to play all aspects of special teams like 5th receivers do, it could work out. It is a little surprising you don't see it more often, but I'd be shocked to see more than one of these guys in the NFL at any given time as a maximum.

I think Sumo's would be great hockey goalies. Just stuff them in the net and nothing will be able to get through.
I always thought about the fattest guy in the world and put him in front of the net. the other players would slide him into place.Sumo wrestlers might not have the speed, but short term quickness sure for run blocking. Not sure about the punishment though

Sumo wrestling matches usually last less than 15 seconds. As soon as they push their opponent out of the ring or to the mat one time the match is over. They could probably be pretty dominant for a few plays each quarter, but they don't have near the stamina of NFLers, or FBGs for that matter.
:lmao: Speed and quickness would not be a problem since they would make up for it in size and strength. Getting these fat bastards up and down the field all game would be impossible.

As others have mentioned, Sumos are amazing athletes and plenty quick enough. Additionally they are quite flexible, most can do splits. They are trained to have great lower body strength and a powerful open handed push/slap. I've seen Akebono hand slap a 300 pound man to the ground before. DT would seem the natural position. That said, they train their whole lives to do Sumo, not football. Physically they'd have all the tools needed, but there's a lot of technique involed that they'd be far behind on. Additionally, I doubt the great Sumo wrestlers could handle the pay cut. The guys you'd get trying football, would be the guys not making good money at Sumo so it could be assumed they'd be weaker.

I love football and love Sumo. I just don't see the two mixing well.

I think that's like having the really short guy on the baseball team for when you absolutely have to draw a walk -- it's so outside the spirit of the game, it's difficult to imagine who would do it.I think the really tall guy to block kicks would have to be able to contribute in some other way in order to make a roster. If he were fast enough to catch on as a 5th wide receiver and durable enough to play all aspects of special teams like 5th receivers do, it could work out. It is a little surprising you don't see it more often, but I'd be shocked to see more than one of these guys in the NFL at any given time as a maximum.
I would think that a guy who could potentially block a game winning FG or xp would have more value than a 5th receiver who only sees the field once in a while. He would not have to do anything but stand there and jump.

I would think that a guy who could potentially block a game winning FG or xp would have more value than a 5th receiver who only sees the field once in a while. He would not have to do anything but stand there and jump.
In order for your 5th receiver to be activated, he has to pretty much be a special teams ace. This really tall blocker would have to cover punts, play a role on returns, and do other things. I think the killer combination would probably be the long snapper/kick blocker, but I doubt you could find that combination very readily.

I agee.

I always wondered why NFL teams didn't sign giants (Yao Ming) to block FGs and PATs.

I'm sure you noticed how close "normal" DL and LBs come to blocking FGs (inches every time) , there is no way Yao wouldn't block 30 FGs and PATs a year.....and just think how many wins that would equate to and that would be more than enough to give him his own roster spot without doing anything else.

I agee.I always wondered why NFL teams didn't sign giants (Yao Ming) to block FGs and PATs.I'm sure you noticed how close "normal" DL and LBs come to blocking FGs (inches every time) , there is no way Yao wouldn't block 30 FGs and PATs a year.....and just think how many wins that would equate to and that would be more than enough to give him his own roster spot without doing anything else.
Exactly. This guy would not need to have another role on the team. He would get snapped in half if he ever had to do anything else. He probably would not be able to block XP's, as the the kickers should be able to elevate the kick, but he would be killer on any long FG attempt. A guy who can do this, could potentially win you an extra game or 2 over the course of a season. I would think that would be more valuable than a special teams "ace". Throw a big pair of those soccer goalie gloves on him and let him change the course of a game or 2. Makes sense to me.

I agee.I always wondered why NFL teams didn't sign giants (Yao Ming) to block FGs and PATs.I'm sure you noticed how close "normal" DL and LBs come to blocking FGs (inches every time) , there is no way Yao wouldn't block 30 FGs and PATs a year.....and just think how many wins that would equate to and that would be more than enough to give him his own roster spot without doing anything else.
Exactly. This guy would not need to have another role on the team. He would get snapped in half if he ever had to do anything else. He probably would not be able to block XP's, as the the kickers should be able to elevate the kick, but he would be killer on any long FG attempt. A guy who can do this, could potentially win you an extra game or 2 over the course of a season. I would think that would be more valuable than a special teams "ace". Throw a big pair of those soccer goalie gloves on him and let him change the course of a game or 2. Makes sense to me.
Football players are some of the lowest paid athletes. Yao makes franchise QB money.

The six year plan. :wall:
He did freestyle and greco-roman. Titles in multiple styles, if my swiss cheese memory is correct.

Football players are some of the lowest paid athletes. Yao makes franchise QB money.
Not Yao, guys like Yao. I'm sure there are plenty of freakishly tall guys that are very uncoordinated and wouldn't be able to do anything else other than block FGs. Those guys would LOVE to make a "humble" NFL salary.

No.

The NFL had an exhibition game in Japan.

Some of the players and coaches went and watched a Sumo tourney on their free time.

And NFL coach said there wasnt even a single offensive lineman candidate among the lot of 'em (sumo wrestlers).

Dont recall who said it, but it was a few years ago.

The six year plan. :goodposting:
He did freestyle and greco-roman. Titles in multiple styles, if my swiss cheese memory is correct.
:unsure:

Am i wrong, or dont you have to have SOME speed to be a tackle in the NFL? Sure theyd make a good guard. Yeah i can see how a DT with a 3 ft wide backside might clog up the running lanes, so that could work too.
Guards and centers need to be the "fastest" of the bunch - as they pull and go out to meet LBs and the like. Tackles need to have the best footwork.

Forget fieldgoal blocks, I don't get why the NFL teams don't sign an olympic-caliber high jumper as a short yardage specialist.

Forget fieldgoal blocks, I don't get why the NFL teams don't sign an olympic-caliber high jumper as a short yardage specialist.
Couldn't take the punishment

As previously noted, the Raiders looked trying this and found two problems:

1. Sumo wrestlers are not conditioned for long periods and would get winded if forced to play an entire game.

2. They get paid a LOT more in their sport than what they would make playing football.

I would think a far more promising method for changing special teams play would be finding a combination K/P whose combined performance was good enough to justify saving the roster slot. You'd think a team or two might try going this way, but it seems not.

Good lord, these threads are dumb.

Of COURSE not! If they could be OLinemen, why wouldnt you see tons of them already? Do you think you're smarter than every NFL coach?

Give me a break.

Couldn't take the punishment
The punishment of maybe 2-3 plays a game?
I would think a far more promising method for changing special teams play would be finding a combination K/P whose combined performance was good enough to justify saving the roster slot. You'd think a team or two might try going this way, but it seems not.
Falcons tried it with Koenen last year. It never works. Good article about it right here.

Falcons tried it with Koenen last year. It never works. Good article about it right here.
Oregon State's Alexis Serna has spent the year handling all of the punting in addition to his regular kicking duties. He's last in the Pac-10 in yards-per-punt, though.

Users who are viewing this thread