What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superbowl prediction thread (1 Viewer)

Pnishthm

Footballguy
My take is that the Colts offensive strength is passing the ball while the strenth of the Saints defense is their secondary. Greer and Porter are very underrated corners who play pretty solid lockdown defense in man coverage. Although neither one played all 16 games due to injury they have given up 1 TD combined. ONE! I'm thinking the Saints will likely be in nickel coverage most of the game and R. Gay is pretty solid for a #3 corner. When the Saints played the Vikings they had to play a lot of zone because they had to bring men up in the box a bit to try and stop AD. This is not their strength. I think we will be able to see more of the defense that we saw against Arizona...nickel and a lot of man coverage while roaming D. Sharper all over the field. This may give Addai an opportunity to bust one on the Saints (like Hightower) but if I don't see Indy just trying to pound the ball and get away from what got them here.

One the other side I see the Saints passing game as their biggest strength while I think the Colts secondary is probably their biggest weekness. The Saints will be sending out a lot of weapons for the Colts to try and cover and I just do not think they are deep enough to cover all of them. I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the Colts corners but i do know they are thin there (due to some injuries). If Freeney can't play like Freeney and Brees has time to throw and the Saints don't have to keep extra help in to block, this gives the Saints yet another weapon that they can send out in a pass patern. This isn't J. Flacco or M. Sanchez. Just too much for the Colts.

All in all both offenses should be able to move the ball as I cn't see this being a defensive struggle (DUH), but the Saints to me just have a few too many weapons for the Colts and will out score them.

I'll go Saints 38 Colts 28

This is just my (biased) opinion not trying to start an arguement. Feel free to post your score and why you think it will end up that way...

Congratulations to the Saints for making it to the big game. That being said, I think this game belongs to the Colts and Peyton Manning. Colts win on a late game drive with tie breaking TD from Manning to Wayne.

Colts 42 - Saints 35

If the Colts don't turn the ball over, they will hang 40 on the Saints. Without the red-zone turnovers, the Vikes would have done the same.

Can Brees match Manning TD for TD? For a while, probably. Colts 45, Saints 38.

Saints run the ball effectively enough to get the job done. Two late int on Manning while down makes the score more lopsided than it looks

Saints 31 Colts 17

If the Colts don't turn the ball over, they will hang 40 on the Saints. Without the red-zone turnovers, the Vikes would have done the same.

40, huh?The Colts scored 40 pts all of ONE time all year. It was against the Rams. They didn't even score 30 pts in 9 out of 16 regular season games (8 out of 15 if you take out week 17).

Against the 23rd ranked Jags defense, they put up 14 pts. At home.

Against the 22nd ranked Miami defense, they put up 27 pts.

Against the 15th ranked SF defense, they put up 18 pts. At home.

Against the 13th ranked Houston defense, they put up 20 pts. At home.

Against the 28th ranked Tenn defense, they put up 27 pts. At home.

Seriously, why is it assumed that Indy will score at complete will when they didn't demonstrate it all year? They are not some unstoppable offensive juggernaut this year. They actually scored almost 6 ppg less than New Orleans this year.

And it's not as if New Orleans is dead last in the league in defense. That would be Indy's running game.

Last edited by a moderator:
The team with the prolific passing attack and Top 3 QB that plays its home games in a dome will win.

31-20 Saints.

I posted a thread in preseason about a dream I had, where the Saints beat the Texans in this year's Super Bowl. Yes, preseason. Texans didn't make it, but I gotta stick with my dream and a Saints Super Bowl victory.

I will add my prediction to this story line....

Indy Colts 45

NO Saints 41

Very wild, high scoring, prolific offenses run wild. Defenses try to "contain" or minimize the gains.... but very little punting action.

Six turnovers by the Vikings and Saints needed OT to win

Saints garnered 275 total yards and gave up 475 to a team that turned it over SIX times

Manning and the Colts will NOT turn it over six times and that will lead to three extra TDs

Colts 41

Saints 21

A late TD or two will get the Saints to 21

Manning will embarrass the Saints Defense. Brees is great, but the Colts Defense will have a chip on it's shoulder over no respect without Freeney at 100%.

I'm laughing at the thought of Manning versus the Saints DBs playing man2man.

Colts 44

Saints 28

Manning will embarrass the Saints Defense. Brees is great, but the Colts Defense will have a chip on it's shoulder over no respect without Freeney at 100%. I'm laughing at the thought of Manning versus the Saints DBs playing man2man. Colts 44Saints 28
You may very well be right but I'm curious on your thinking about the Saints corners playing man when Greer and Porter have allowed 1 TD pass between them all season including playoffs? If anyone can tourch them I'm sure Manning is the #1 option but I'm not sure people who don't follow the Saints know just how good both of these guys are. Good luck Sunday!

I belive the Colts defense is being widely under-rated. Secondary may be limited, but pass rush still there.

Colts - 27

Saints - 17

(So I am taking the under).

Manning will embarrass the Saints Defense. Brees is great, but the Colts Defense will have a chip on it's shoulder over no respect without Freeney at 100%. I'm laughing at the thought of Manning versus the Saints DBs playing man2man. Colts 44Saints 28
Has Manning been saving it all year? Because there's been very few defenses he's "embarrassed" this year, and most of those he didn't "embarrass" had worse pass defenses than the Saints. And if any defense should have a chip on its shoulder, I'd think it was the Saints and the fact that everyone says they will get destroyed by the potent Indy offense (that averages less offensively than the Saints). Most "experts" are saying the Indy defense should have no problem stopping the #1 offense in the NFL but the Saints defense is going to get torched. Take a look at all the predictions here with Indy scoring 40+ when they scored 40 pts all of once all year (against the Rams). Not to mention they were favored by over 6 pts at one point on a neutral field.But yeah, I can see why the Indy defense would have a chip on their shoulder and play great. Surely the Saints won't have a chip on their shoulder and shouldn't be able to step it up either. I'm not going to try and predict who will win because I'm honestly not sure, but I do find it a little humorous (and arrogant) how many Indy fans are predicting blowouts and will embarrass the Saints defense. There's one thing I'm quite confident and that's that Indy won't drop 40 on New Orleans on Sunday.

You may very well be right but I'm curious on your thinking about the Saints corners playing man when Greer and Porter have allowed 1 TD pass between them all season including playoffs? If anyone can tourch them I'm sure Manning is the #1 option but I'm not sure people who don't follow the Saints know just how good both of these guys are. Good luck Sunday!
Very interesting stat that I didn't know about. From some of the games I had seen from the Saints, Porter has looked verrrrry good. He grew up very fast after tearing up his knee last year. I'm always happy to see a Hoosier succeeding in the NFL

There is no disrespect intended towards the Saints corners. It is more that Manning is playing his best ball of his career. Scores of games in the regular season mean squat this Sunday. The Colts Defense is better than their stats show. They are fast and good tacklers!The offense did what it HAD to do in the regular season, not what it's capable of. I think the Colts know they will have to score to win, therefore we will see the fast break offense. As decent as the Saints DBs have played, they haven't played Manning and this offense. Does anyone honestly believe the Saints will stop the Colts if the Ravens (who shut down the Pats) and the Jets (who shut down the Chargers) couldn't stop them? Manning and the Colts showed what they're capable of 2 weeks ago. If the Saints can shut them down, I will be the first to applaud them. I also am fully aware of the potency of the Saints Offense. My thinking is that when it comes to game time, the Saints will get a dose of reality when they face a better team. I think a big factor in the game that isn't being discussed is Larry Coyer and his blitz schemes. If Freeney is limited, I believe that strengthens the Colts run Defense and then we'll see more blitzes to get pressure. There's no way they let Brees just sit back there and play toss with all of his weapons. I like the 13-0 Shockey stat! Here is one for you, the Colts won every game this season that their starters played all 4 quarters.I like the fun being poked at Indy's Mayor. By the way, it's not the shrimp that's famous, it's the coctail sauce. Try it at St. Elmos when you're in town. It will blow your mind!!! Should be a great game! Go Colts!!!

Colts 38-34.

Thoughts:

1. I'm a Colts fan, so I'm going to pick them to win, but not cover.

2. I can't pick the Saints anyway no matter what I actually think because I've alreadly been called "Mr. Glass Half-Empty" this week.

3. I think if the Saints play a lot of 3-4 it won't work. "Manning struggles against the 3-4" is a myth now - this isn't 2004/5. And I think you have to play 3-4 a lot to be good at playing the 3-4, not just dabble in it.

4. I think Freeney will play 20 snaps.

absolutely,positively , yes..and the contrary is true...

Manning can only score,max, 8 pts at a time ( 2-pt conversions) . Brees can easily match that..

Brees and Co can and will score on anyone..perhaps the worst thing that could happen for the Colts is they get out to a big lead, early. We've seen this movie before, the Saints are terrific at closing the scoring gap.see Dolphins,Redskins , Vikings games.

the Colts defense cannot stop the Saints...and let's play devils advocate here: Jets had a 17-6 lead with a rookie QB and the offense ground to a halt with the loss of Greene..but imagine that offense was N.O...they're going to keep the pedal down and never let up..

I'm not sure Manning can match Brees TD for TD...I just don't see the Colts' defense stopping Shockey,Thomas, Colston, Bush, Meachum et al..I really don't..

I think the Saints will dump 42+ on the Colts without a hitch..

Can the Colts play catch-up? they can't run the ball, so they're one-dimensional..N.O. will get after Manning, and of course, he's prone to a big-game choke at some point, he's likely to toss a couple of picks..Manning hasn't had his patented lousy playoff game yet, perhaps he's (over)due??

and I don't see the Colts stopping Bush as a WR , RB, or as a KR/PR..

There is no disrespect intended towards the Saints corners. It is more that Manning is playing his best ball of his career. Scores of games in the regular season mean squat this Sunday. The Colts Defense is better than their stats show. They are fast and good tacklers!The offense did what it HAD to do in the regular season, not what it's capable of. I think the Colts know they will have to score to win, therefore we will see the fast break offense. As decent as the Saints DBs have played, they haven't played Manning and this offense. Does anyone honestly believe the Saints will stop the Colts if the Ravens (who shut down the Pats) and the Jets (who shut down the Chargers) couldn't stop them? Manning and the Colts showed what they're capable of 2 weeks ago. If the Saints can shut them down, I will be the first to applaud them. I also am fully aware of the potency of the Saints Offense. My thinking is that when it comes to game time, the Saints will get a dose of reality when they face a better team. I think a big factor in the game that isn't being discussed is Larry Coyer and his blitz schemes. If Freeney is limited, I believe that strengthens the Colts run Defense and then we'll see more blitzes to get pressure. There's no way they let Brees just sit back there and play toss with all of his weapons. I like the 13-0 Shockey stat! Here is one for you, the Colts won every game this season that their starters played all 4 quarters.I like the fun being poked at Indy's Mayor. By the way, it's not the shrimp that's famous, it's the coctail sauce. Try it at St. Elmos when you're in town. It will blow your mind!!! Should be a great game! Go Colts!!!
Its all good but I think our corners are as capable as any in the league when healthy as they have allowed only passing 1 TD when both were in the game and that actually was a blown call on an offensive push off on Roddy White. Both offenses have respectable and similar weapons and can put up a lot of points The game will be decided in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I like the Saints chances there. Also Brees MVP post season

Colts win the toss. Thats about it.

35-24 Saints

No team can stop the Saints "A" game from what I have seen this year. I am certain we will see it on Sunday.

Either way....this has been the longest 2 weeks in the history of mankind. Please get on with the game.

I think that the Colts defense is much better than most are giving credit. I believe that there is also a likelihood that the Saints start slowly on offense because of the team's history of not being in the big game. I know that was other players, but the two week time period between the Conference Championship and the Super Bowl is a loooooooooooooong time for the players to wait and the pressure just keeps building.

I think that the Saints will NOT put a mad dog blitz every down defense and will play more drop back and cover allowing the Colts to slowly move down the field and then similar to the Jets, lock down tighter in the red zo0ne forcing field goal attempts.

I see a lower scoring game than most in this thread. I will go Saints 24, Colts 19. Drew Brees wins the MVP based on the fact that the Saint scores are spread around and otherwise they have no stand-out player.

Would love to be in New Orleans on Sunday night after the game just to partake in the celebration down in the Quarter.

Either way....this has been the longest 2 weeks in the history of mankind. Please get on with the game.
Ain't that the truth......
Feelin' you both. Been absolutely useless at work this week. I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime. And so I'm flying down to watch the game in teh Quarter. :goodposting: then :goodposting: Can't wait.And the Saints O really IS that good. I say: 34-28, the black-n-gold.

Keys IMO

1. Which team will have a respectable run game - Colts were tied for 2nd worst y/a in the league with Houston, Saints did much better

2. Turnovers - neither QB throws many INTs but the Saints have been better in getting INTs

3. Sacks / pressure - neither OL or QB give up many, the team that's able to force the QB to throw before he's set will benefit, Freeney will be the key here

4. Special teams - neither team does really well kicking or punting although I'd give Stover the leg up here, New Orleans seems to have an advantage in the return game

New Orleans has the advantage on 1, 2, and 4. Colts have 3, experience and Peyton.

I want to say the Colts win this, but I'm going to say:

New Orleans 33

Indianapolis 21

Users who are viewing this thread