What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superflex Leagues (1 Viewer)

butcher boy

Footballguy
I play in a superflex league where you can start a second QB in the flex spot in addition to WR/RB/TE. I'm beginning to treat these as 2 QB leagues because of the huge advantage I'm seeing in using a QB flex whenever you can.

Last year I started the draft QB/QB, got Brady and Romo and won the league. This year I went QB/QB again and got Brady/Ryan.

My reasoning for this is that it seems to me that if you can start a decent QB in a flex spot you absolutely should whenever possible and are at a huge advantage over guys starting middling rb/wr there. Matt Ryan, for example, is currently projected to score as many fantasy points as the elite RBs.

The main question here is is doing this worth missing out on RBs in the first 2 rounds? I think it is but my reasoning might be skewed because last year I guessed correctly on late round RBs McGahee and Bush.

Thoughts?

Question is too broad/general.

Will I pass on Chris Johnson to take Aaron Rodgers? Sure.

Will I pass on Arian Foster to take Drew Brees? No chance.

As always, it depends on the situation and who you're passing on to draft someone else.

I'm in a league much like this and all positions get 6pts for TD's.

I landed Rodgers at #5 last year and got Newton real late. I won it easily on their arms alone. Yet year after year these guys I draft with keep taking Rb's & Wr's early. More power to them, I took home nearly $800 from it last year!

If you have the option of starting 2 QB's especially if it's a 6 pt TD scoring, you draft and start 2 QB's all year long.

You should absolutely treat it as a 2QB league - aside from bye weeks even a middle of the pact starting QB should be your Flex

As always, it depends on the situation and who you're passing on to draft someone else.
In a superflex league, I absolutely would.

'solorca said:
'Warrior said:

In a superflex league, I absolutely would.
X2. Some people just refuse to adapt to the settings.

i do not know what a superflex league is can you explian because right now i am just picturing a bunch of panty waste dudes on draft night having a flex competition and making muscles and frankly when i think about the wussflabahans i play ff with that scares me a lot so fill me in thanks brohan

i do not know what a superflex league is can you explian because right now i am just picturing a bunch of panty waste dudes on draft night having a flex competition and making muscles and frankly when i think about the wussflabahans i play ff with that scares me a lot so fill me in thanks brohan
I really like how unforced and non-awkward this shtick is.

I always make sure to get a top-5 QB if I can. After that, I go by tiers. So I grabbed Brees without hesitation at 1.6, and then waited until round 6 to grab Flacco. I think if you get a top QB then you can wait on your backup. If you pass on a top QB then your QB2 becomes more important. If I had Eli as my QB1 I probably would have grabbed a guy like Cutler or Roeth in the next couple rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always make sure to get a top-5 QB if I can. After that, I go by tiers. So I grabbed Brees without hesitation at 3.6, and then waited until round 6 to grab Flacco. I think if you get a top QB then you can wait on your backup. If you pass on a top QB then your QB2 becomes more important. If I had Eli as my QB1 I probably would have grabbed a guy like Cutler or Roeth in the next couple rounds.
Did you read the OP?

When my local league switched to the superflex format, I went QB-QB in the first two rounds, dominated the whole season and won the championship. The next year, one other guy drafted QBs earlier than usual but for the most part the rest of the league kept doing the traditional RB-WR thing. I dominated again, though lost in the championship (I think after one of my QBs got injured late in the year). The next year one or two other guys started noticing what was happening, and now several years later pretty much everyone understands what I was doing all those years ago. It's still an advantage to get two top QBs but it's now harder to do so since other owners draft QBs early as well, and it's not as much of an advantage as it used to be when people were starting RB3s as their flex player week in and week out.

The moral of the story is that if most of the owners are new to superflex and/or stupid, go QB early and often, and destroy them. If the other owners also recognize the value of QBs in this format, think a little more carefully about passing up on top players at other positions, but you should still probably be grabbing two QBs pretty early unless the value just isn't there at all. There's always the chance that your league goes overboard on QBs and just leaves ridiculous RB, WR, and TE value on the board or something.

When my local league switched to the superflex format, I went QB-QB in the first two rounds, dominated the whole season and won the championship. The next year, one other guy drafted QBs earlier than usual but for the most part the rest of the league kept doing the traditional RB-WR thing. I dominated again, though lost in the championship (I think after one of my QBs got injured late in the year). The next year one or two other guys started noticing what was happening, and now several years later pretty much everyone understands what I was doing all those years ago. It's still an advantage to get two top QBs but it's now harder to do so since other owners draft QBs early as well, and it's not as much of an advantage as it used to be when people were starting RB3s as their flex player week in and week out. The moral of the story is that if most of the owners are new to superflex and/or stupid, go QB early and often, and destroy them. If the other owners also recognize the value of QBs in this format, think a little more carefully about passing up on top players at other positions, but you should still probably be grabbing two QBs pretty early unless the value just isn't there at all. There's always the chance that your league goes overboard on QBs and just leaves ridiculous RB, WR, and TE value on the board or something.
This is very true. My league is catching on too. I barely got away with Matt Ryan as my second QB in round two. Roethlisberger, Vick, Eli, and Rivers all went before him. If somebody had taken Ryan, I might not have gone QB/QB.I do my best to discourage people from learning the strategy though. People asked me what my secret was to winning last year, and I told them I got lucky with Reggie Bush having a good year. :lmao:

Depending on the scoring system, but in my most cases yes I would treat it as a 2 QB league. But it gives a lot of value for players that do not if more than a couple people do.

I always make sure to get a top-5 QB if I can. After that, I go by tiers. So I grabbed Brees without hesitation at 3.6, and then waited until round 6 to grab Flacco. I think if you get a top QB then you can wait on your backup. If you pass on a top QB then your QB2 becomes more important. If I had Eli as my QB1 I probably would have grabbed a guy like Cutler or Roeth in the next couple rounds.
Did you read the OP?
Yes. :confused:

In my first superflex league this year, also 6pts all tds. I'm the new guy in the league and have no idea how they draft. I will be treating it as a start 2qb league.

I am going on my 7th or 8th year in such a league. There was a point (and this was before the ridiculous QB scoring of the past few years) where QBs did not dominate the first two rounds. At those times, going QB-QB WAS the way to go.

Since everyone has wised up, I no longer see this as a winning strategy. Since we can only carry two QBs total, once the first QB run drys up it stays dry for a while. For instance, in rounds 1-2 10 QBs were taken. Last one taken was Cutler. In round 3 5 more went off the board, last one taken Dalton. In rounds 4&5 only one QB was taken, Jake Locker. Then in rounds 6-7 there was a mini-run that saw 6 more QBs drafted, Schaub being the first and Russel Wilson being the last.

I took Flacco in the sixth, and had I grabbed another QB in the second, I would have taken Cutler. Instead I grabbed Jimmy Graham who I know will give me appreciable advantage over all the other TEs in the league except for maybe one. I don't think Cutler or Vick represents that amount of upside over Flacco.

So it depends on where your league is at. If can get Rogers in round 1 and Brady in round 2 do that all day. However if you are looking at second-tier QBs in round 2 vs tier 1 at other positions, I'd say go away from QB in round 2.

I am in a 16 team league that has 2 flex positions in the starting line-up (any position can be used-QB, RB, WR, TE, D, K). Plus we are keeper league so I already have Foster for a 3rd round and Demarco Murray for a 12th round. I am looking at picking 2 QBs in the first two picks. I seem to end up just missing out on the playoffs in our league and in all cases I made QB my least important position to draft. This year I want to make sure I am covered at the QB position.

Did you read the OP?
If you are waiting to grab your 2nd QB that long in a superflex/2QB league something is wrong

Did you read the OP?
If you are waiting to grab your 2nd QB that long in a superflex/2QB league something is wrong
My bad, just noticed this. I grabbed him at 1.6. Typo. My bad.Still, my latest post stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
A superflex league is a 2 QB league where you are slightly less screwed if your QBs get injured/benched/on bye. You're still giving up a bunch of points to everyone if you have a week with only 1 starting QB, but at least you don't have to take a zero.

Users who are viewing this thread