What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Supplemental Draft Players - Dynasty Solutions (1 Viewer)

Ron_Mexico

I Love Doggies
A number of leagues are grappling with the Supplemental Draft issue.

When a Supplemental player is added to the data base, ala Josh Gordon, should he be fair game right away,

even though he is not part of any NFL franchise, or should there be rules in place to deal with this sort of thing ?

One of my leagues has a solid solution imo, and here is an overview of how we handle

Supplemental players in this particular dynasty league.

**Whenever the NFL has a Supplemental Draft, We will also have our own Supplemental Draft approx. 1 week later.

Our Supplemental Draft will be setup in a thread with bids made publicly in an auction style format open for approx. two days.

Bids for a player can be made using the team's following season's draft picks still owned (any picks acquired/lost through trade are not eligible to be bid). Highest bid gets the player and loses the pick that was bid at end of said season.

Reverse order of final standings will be used to determined value of picks in the same round.

In my opinion, a fair solution for anyone in the market for Supplemental Draft problem solving.

Our league uses blind bidding to acquire free agents except during the rookie draft, or during a restricted free agent period each year. Our blind bidding process has been running Thurs PM until Wed PM for a few weeks. One of the owners bid and won Gordon last night. Now some owners feel that he should have been unavailable until he was actually drafted by a team.

My arguments are:

There are no rules that govern how to add supplemental players. They simple outline the time/conditions for blind bidding (which this applies to Gordon)

He was available on MFL, and every team in the league had the same opportunity to acquire him.

I think some owners wanted to see where he was going to go before investing in him. I believe, if an owner wants to take the risk, then he should reap the rewards.

Anyone having similar issues?

The only wrong answer is FCFS waivers.

The right answer will vary by league. For leagues with a blind bid/dollars system, you can use the existing waivers system with the caveat that his availability is announced such that everyone knows WHICH week's waiver wire includes him.

If using a more traditional waiver system...a bidding of future picks might work, but is open to ties...a tiebreaker is needed. One possibility is basing the tiebreaker on previous years finish. Another is setting up a draft order similar to the NFL's system which will settle tie bids.

Every one of my dynasty leagues has handled it a little differently...but there's no perfect answer...just one very wrong answer.

Our league uses blind bidding to acquire free agents except during the rookie draft, or during a restricted free agent period each year. Our blind bidding process has been running Thurs PM until Wed PM for a few weeks. One of the owners bid and won Gordon last night. Now some owners feel that he should have been unavailable until he was actually drafted by a team. My arguments are:There are no rules that govern how to add supplemental players. They simple outline the time/conditions for blind bidding (which this applies to Gordon)He was available on MFL, and every team in the league had the same opportunity to acquire him.I think some owners wanted to see where he was going to go before investing in him. I believe, if an owner wants to take the risk, then he should reap the rewards.Anyone having similar issues?
He wasn't actually IN the NFL before he was drafted. Does your league allow teams to pick up other rookies prior to a rookie draft? The system your league used isn't wrong per se, other than it should have been announced WHEN he was available. Other rookies are FIRST available at a rookie draft. TO be fair, Supplemental players should also have a CLEARLY DEFINED point where they become available....and when he appears on MFL is hardly clear...no better than FCFS IMHO.FCFS is a the only truly WRONG answer as to how to handle a supplemental draft player.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did the bidding of draft picks like the NFL does. The only problem is knowing that the pick is "spent," once you owned that player. Our donk Commish would safeguard the pick, but ended up trading it in another deal because he forget. MFL, for one, has no good solution for this problem.

So this year all Sup players go into the waiver wire a week after the supplemental draft. Seems to most fair and easiest way to handle.

We did the bidding of draft picks like the NFL does. The only problem is knowing that the pick is "spent," once you owned that player. Our donk Commish would safeguard the pick, but ended up trading it in another deal because he forget. MFL, for one, has no good solution for this problem. So this year all Sup players go into the waiver wire a week after the supplemental draft. Seems to most fair and easiest way to handle.
Poor excuse. If you happen to mistakenly trade away that pick, you lose the next highest. Simple.We hold a supplemental draft using 2013 picks based upon the 2012 order. Whoever uses the highest pick gets the player. If for some reason you "forget" and successfully trade away that pick the following year, you lose the next highest pick. It's the responsibility of the player making the pick. It shouldn't be that hard to police.

Our league uses blind bidding to acquire free agents except during the rookie draft, or during a restricted free agent period each year. Our blind bidding process has been running Thurs PM until Wed PM for a few weeks. One of the owners bid and won Gordon last night. Now some owners feel that he should have been unavailable until he was actually drafted by a team. My arguments are:There are no rules that govern how to add supplemental players. They simple outline the time/conditions for blind bidding (which this applies to Gordon)He was available on MFL, and every team in the league had the same opportunity to acquire him.I think some owners wanted to see where he was going to go before investing in him. I believe, if an owner wants to take the risk, then he should reap the rewards.Anyone having similar issues?
He wasn't actually IN the NFL before he was drafted. Does your league allow teams to pick up other rookies prior to a rookie draft? The system your league used isn't wrong per se, other than it should have been announced WHEN he was available. Other rookies are FIRST available at a rookie draft. TO be fair, Supplemental players should also have a CLEARLY DEFINED point where they become available....and when he appears on MFL is hardly clear...no better than FCFS IMHO.FCFS is a the only truly WRONG answer as to how to handle a supplemental draft player.
In the case of Gordon, he was in the system for everyone to place a Blind Bid on. I'm not sure I see it being a matter of me telling everyone he is available. Every owner had the same opportunity to bid. As far as other rookies, there is no Blind Bidding starting on April 15th and runs until after the NFL draft. So, if MFL decides to put a player in the system a week before the draft, it's a none issue. My other argument is the fact that there are Undrafted Rookies left over after every NFL draft. They have not signed with a team and are in effect "not in the league". Yet, they are available for acquisition. Because they were eligible for the NFL draft, they then have become eligible for acquisition in a fantasy league. As far as I am concerned, Gordon was eligible for the NFL supplemental draft and was available in our league under the rules that govern Free Agent Acquisitions. Because there are no specific supplemental draft rules, then Gordon must fall under whatever rules do apply to him.With that said, I pointed out to the league that there may have been an oversight by me in setting up specific rules for the supplemental players. However, I will not punish an owner that has already acquired a player (Gordon) under the rules set forth by rebidding on Gordon. (and No, I was not the owner that won Gordon) Any changes to a rule such as this will be put to a vote at the start of next off season. But, I also pointed out that it is each owners responsibilities to know the rules of their league. At no time did any owner contact me about specific rules pertaining to supplemental players or Gordon specifically. Some owners knew that Gordon was available and others just assumed that he was not be available until after the NFL supplemental draft. To me this is a case of some owners doing their homework and the rest complaining because they made a lazy mistake.

Zealots uses the auction system - and only players on NFL teams can be bid on, or players cut from NFL teams (meaning Gordon auctions opened all over as soon as he was drafted)

My other leagues are BB that process Wednesday mornings all offseason.

In the case of Gordon, he was in the system for everyone to place a Blind Bid on. I'm not sure I see it being a matter of me telling everyone he is available. Every owner had the same opportunity to bid. As far as other rookies, there is no Blind Bidding starting on April 15th and runs until after the NFL draft. So, if MFL decides to put a player in the system a week before the draft, it's a none issue. My other argument is the fact that there are Undrafted Rookies left over after every NFL draft. They have not signed with a team and are in effect "not in the league". Yet, they are available for acquisition. Because they were eligible for the NFL draft, they then have become eligible for acquisition in a fantasy league. As far as I am concerned, Gordon was eligible for the NFL supplemental draft and was available in our league under the rules that govern Free Agent Acquisitions. Because there are no specific supplemental draft rules, then Gordon must fall under whatever rules do apply to him.With that said, I pointed out to the league that there may have been an oversight by me in setting up specific rules for the supplemental players. However, I will not punish an owner that has already acquired a player (Gordon) under the rules set forth by rebidding on Gordon. (and No, I was not the owner that won Gordon) Any changes to a rule such as this will be put to a vote at the start of next off season. But, I also pointed out that it is each owners responsibilities to know the rules of their league. At no time did any owner contact me about specific rules pertaining to supplemental players or Gordon specifically. Some owners knew that Gordon was available and others just assumed that he was not be available until after the NFL supplemental draft. To me this is a case of some owners doing their homework and the rest complaining because they made a lazy mistake.
First of all....it's been over a decade since a supplemental player WORTHY of a relatively high rookie pick has happened, so I don't think it's realistic to expect every league's rules to adequately cover the issue. Second....NO ROOKIES are taken by any player in any dynasty league before some sort of rookie draft...a date and time known to all. MFL made no announcements regarding availability. There are worse ways to award a player than processed waivers for sure, but if there was no announcement of any kind that supp players were available in waivers for everyone...then it's only a tiny bit better than FCFS, and it's bogus IMO.We've all ignored this issue in years past because there's been no player worth worrying about! It was NOT covered by your rules. It's a hole in your rules that can not, and should not, wait until "next year". "Lazy owners" isn't the problem, nor is it a bad commish as this hasn't happened in forever...but shrugging your shoulders and saying it was covered is a lazy answer.

I don't think there's one right answer here. Just have consistency.
HOW???!!!Can't have consistancy on an issue that hasn't happened in many years. Most leagues have no precedent. (Calling the supp players from the last 20 years precedent is bogus as NONE of them were worthy of better than a 4th round rookie pick)

As it stands now...he was picked up on FCFS waivers in many leagues, and many leagues have NO STATED RULES on how to handle it. I agree there's no right answer on how to handle it, but consistent doesn't apply to what is essentially a NEW situation.

HOW???!!!Can't have consistancy on an issue that hasn't happened in many years. Most leagues have no precedent. (Calling the supp players from the last 20 years precedent is bogus as NONE of them were worthy of better than a 4th round rookie pick)

As it stands now...he was picked up on FCFS waivers in many leagues, and many leagues have NO STATED RULES on how to handle it. I agree there's no right answer on how to handle it, but consistent doesn't apply to what is essentially a NEW situation.
Cris Carter was a steal in your scenario I guess.

First of all....it's been over a decade since a supplemental player WORTHY of a relatively high rookie pick has happened, so I don't think it's realistic to expect every league's rules to adequately cover the issue. Second....NO ROOKIES are taken by any player in any dynasty league before some sort of rookie draft...a date and time known to all. MFL made no announcements regarding availability. There are worse ways to award a player than processed waivers for sure, but if there was no announcement of any kind that supp players were available in waivers for everyone...then it's only a tiny bit better than FCFS, and it's bogus IMO.We've all ignored this issue in years past because there's been no player worth worrying about! It was NOT covered by your rules. It's a hole in your rules that can not, and should not, wait until "next year". "Lazy owners" isn't the problem, nor is it a bad commish as this hasn't happened in forever...but shrugging your shoulders and saying it was covered is a lazy answer.
First of all.... ROOKIES ARE TAKEN IN SOME DYNASTY LEAGUES PRIOR TO THE NFL DRAFT. There are leagues that allow drafting players that are still in college. So, your argument there is invalid. Some start ups draft rookies and Veterans together, some hold two different drafts. Some dynasty rookie drafts also include available free agent vets. My point is, every league is unique. It comes down to whatever each league has for rules. Secondly, There is no hole in our rules, they just don't have specifics on supplemental players. We also don't have specifics on a lot of things that could happen. And why should anyone assume anything when it comes to individual league rules? Just because you played in a league two years ago where there were specific rules on how supplemental players were to be handled, why should you expect your new league to be the same? If you had any doubt at all, read your rules. If you still have doubt, then ask questions. Your suggestion of "fixing" it this year, is just adding to the problem. At least in my league, I feel the rules are there that address adding players through Blind Bidding. Every owner has funds to spend and every owner has the same deadline. This is FAIR. In it's simplest terms, there are rules that define supplemental players. (even though it does not use the word supplemental) But, it appears that some owners (and YOU) think they should be changed right now. Our league does have guidelines about changing rules. Especially when a rule change would change the outcome of a past event. In this case, I would have been open to establishing whatever rules owners wanted. But, I am against taking a player from a team that followed the guidelines for acquiring the player. How would this be FAIR to that owner? By changing the rule now, fairness would not be balanced.Lastly, I never shrugged my shoulders as if I didn't care. As a commish, I spent a lot of time putting rules together and trying to cover everything. The problem is, many owners don't even try to understand the rules or worse yet, read them at all. What I have done, is looked at this from every angle. Can I see some validity to establishing rules in the future? Sure. Then I looked at the benefit of stripping the new owner of Gordon. What would this accomplish? It would give a few teams a second chance at Blind Bidding, but would punish Gordon's current owner. An owner that read, understood and used the current rules to better his team.Changing the rule and changing the recent outcome from the situation are two different things.

Cris Carter was a steal in your scenario I guess.
Cris Carter was drafted in '87 (25 years ago)

Our league uses blind bidding to acquire free agents except during the rookie draft, or during a restricted free agent period each year. Our blind bidding process has been running Thurs PM until Wed PM for a few weeks. One of the owners bid and won Gordon last night. Now some owners feel that he should have been unavailable until he was actually drafted by a team.

My arguments are:

There are no rules that govern how to add supplemental players. They simple outline the time/conditions for blind bidding (which this applies to Gordon)

He was available on MFL, and every team in the league had the same opportunity to acquire him.

I think some owners wanted to see where he was going to go before investing in him. I believe, if an owner wants to take the risk, then he should reap the rewards.

Anyone having similar issues?
In the case of Gordon, he was in the system for everyone to place a Blind Bid on. I'm not sure I see it being a matter of me telling everyone he is available. Every owner had the same opportunity to bid. As far as other rookies, there is no Blind Bidding starting on April 15th and runs until after the NFL draft. So, if MFL decides to put a player in the system a week before the draft, it's a none issue.

My other argument is the fact that there are Undrafted Rookies left over after every NFL draft. They have not signed with a team and are in effect "not in the league". Yet, they are available for acquisition. Because they were eligible for the NFL draft, they then have become eligible for acquisition in a fantasy league. As far as I am concerned, Gordon was eligible for the NFL supplemental draft and was available in our league under the rules that govern Free Agent Acquisitions. Because there are no specific supplemental draft rules, then Gordon must fall under whatever rules do apply to him.

With that said, I pointed out to the league that there may have been an oversight by me in setting up specific rules for the supplemental players. However, I will not punish an owner that has already acquired a player (Gordon) under the rules set forth by rebidding on Gordon. (and No, I was not the owner that won Gordon) Any changes to a rule such as this will be put to a vote at the start of next off season.

But, I also pointed out that it is each owners responsibilities to know the rules of their league. At no time did any owner contact me about specific rules pertaining to supplemental players or Gordon specifically. Some owners knew that Gordon was available and others just assumed that he was not be available until after the NFL supplemental draft. To me this is a case of some owners doing their homework and the rest complaining because they made a lazy mistake.
First of all.... ROOKIES ARE TAKEN IN SOME DYNASTY LEAGUES PRIOR TO THE NFL DRAFT. There are leagues that allow drafting players that are still in college. So, your argument there is invalid. Some start ups draft rookies and Veterans together, some hold two different drafts. Some dynasty rookie drafts also include available free agent vets. My point is, every league is unique. It comes down to whatever each league has for rules.

Secondly, There is no hole in our rules, they just don't have specifics on supplemental players. We also don't have specifics on a lot of things that could happen. And why should anyone assume anything when it comes to individual league rules? Just because you played in a league two years ago where there were specific rules on how supplemental players were to be handled, why should you expect your new league to be the same? If you had any doubt at all, read your rules. If you still have doubt, then ask questions.

Your suggestion of "fixing" it this year, is just adding to the problem. At least in my league, I feel the rules are there that address adding players through Blind Bidding. Every owner has funds to spend and every owner has the same deadline. This is FAIR. In it's simplest terms, there are rules that define supplemental players. (even though it does not use the word supplemental) But, it appears that some owners (and YOU) think they should be changed right now.

Our league does have guidelines about changing rules. Especially when a rule change would change the outcome of a past event. In this case, I would have been open to establishing whatever rules owners wanted. But, I am against taking a player from a team that followed the guidelines for acquiring the player. How would this be FAIR to that owner? By changing the rule now, fairness would not be balanced.

Lastly, I never shrugged my shoulders as if I didn't care. As a commish, I spent a lot of time putting rules together and trying to cover everything. The problem is, many owners don't even try to understand the rules or worse yet, read them at all. What I have done, is looked at this from every angle. Can I see some validity to establishing rules in the future? Sure. Then I looked at the benefit of stripping the new owner of Gordon. What would this accomplish? It would give a few teams a second chance at Blind Bidding, but would punish Gordon's current owner. An owner that read, understood and used the current rules to better his team.

Changing the rule and changing the recent outcome from the situation are two different things.
Wasn't talking about NFL draft dude....no rookie in any dynasty league is taken before some sort of draft in the fantasy league. No player gets taken on waivers that wasn't available at some sort of draft...the date and time of which are known and announced. When did MFL add him and make him available? ONe hour before waiver submissions closed? 1 day? 5 days? THIS MATTERS!

IN one league...some guy tried to pick him up using a proxy player the day he announced he was making hinmself available for the supplemental draft. By your logic...that would be ok?

Rules don't always cover every scenario...that's what commissioners are for...making a decision that is both reasonable and FAIR to everyone in the league until the rules can be fixed to cover the hole. Your decision is no decision...it's unfair to members of your league who DID NOT have the opportunity to DRAFT this player at any point, and arguably may not have had a legitimate opportunity to place a waiver bid either.

There is NOTHING WRONG with using bidding dollars to aquire him...it's a fair method. What is wrong is to allow this to occur without some sort of announcement BEFOREHAND that this is how the league would handle supplemental players...with a starting date announced for such availability (whether when player announced, or the Supp draft occurred, or some other arbitrary date). My point is that your biding system covers players that were PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE VIA YOUR LEAGUE DRAFT...they are NOT adequate for this scenario. Your job as commissioner is to adjust and ensure fairness when the rules fall short.

When MFL added him, with no announcements at all...is patently unfair.

I can see some of your points. I agree rules need to be established. But, I think too many commissioners feel like they can screw over one owner to appease 3 or 4.

So, then what do you tell the owner that won Gordon? He could certainly argue that there were no rules against acquiring Gordon. That he followed the blind bidding process and yet is not allowed to keep Gordon?

I can see some of your points. I agree rules need to be established. But, I think too many commissioners feel like they can screw over one owner to appease 3 or 4. So, then what do you tell the owner that won Gordon? He could certainly argue that there were no rules against acquiring Gordon. That he followed the blind bidding process and yet is not allowed to keep Gordon?
The truth...it isn't fair to the league as a whole. Reverse the pickup and refund any cost, double check the waiver requests to make sure no other transactions were impacted (IE: a secondary request that would have gone through had Gordon not gone through). Announce the availability for everyone with at least a weeks lead time.The guy isn't screwed...he can still outbid everyone for the player. If interpretation of the rules wasn't needed at times to determine what is/is not against them, what is/is not covered by them...we wouldn't need commssioners. IN most of my leagues...someone tried to pick up Gordon. They were all reversed, and nobody got mad about it.Waivers works with a BB system as long as everyone is aware of it. Ordered waivers are more problematic...not a good substitute for a draft. Several of my leagues are doing a "draft" similar to the NFL...guys are bidding 2013 draft picks, with tiebreakers being previous years record (2012 rookie draft order).

I still find it funny that you think it needs to be announced to everyone. So, are you saying next year, I still need to tell everyone when the supplemental players are available? Even though the rules may clearly state, "supplemental players are available one week after the NFL supplemental draft" ???

Should I also announce each specific injury throughout the season, and let everyone know which possible sleeper could benefit from that injury?

Fantasy Football is about information and outmaneuvering your opponents.

I still find it funny that you think it needs to be announced to everyone. So, are you saying next year, I still need to tell everyone when the supplemental players are available? Even though the rules may clearly state, "supplemental players are available one week after the NFL supplemental draft" ???

Should I also announce each specific injury throughout the season, and let everyone know which possible sleeper could benefit from that injury?

Fantasy Football is about information and outmaneuvering your opponents.
If your rules say this...then no, you don't need to announce it. But the first availability should still be within the waiver system (assuming blind bidding waivers), not FCFS.My part about announcing applies if there wasn't something clear in the rules to explain it.

My bigger point is that a player like Gordon illustrates why leagues really should have an established method of dealing with the supplemental draft OTHER THAN normal waivers. Leagues that had rules STATING these players would be available via waivers (and said WHEN that availibility starts...at announcement or the actual draft)...there's nothing to argue about for this year, but still might consider adjusting that method for the future. Leagues that didn't have a clear method established beforehand are what I thought we were talking about.

Your argument about injuries doesn't fly...any owner not paying attention to injuries during camp/in season deserves to get screwed...but more importantly, those players still go through a waiver process Mon-Wed. Very few leagues use a FCFS waiver system 24/7 because most people agree it isn't fair.

I still find it funny that you think it needs to be announced to everyone. So, are you saying next year, I still need to tell everyone when the supplemental players are available? Even though the rules may clearly state, "supplemental players are available one week after the NFL supplemental draft" ??? Should I also announce each specific injury throughout the season, and let everyone know which possible sleeper could benefit from that injury?Fantasy Football is about information and outmaneuvering your opponents.
:goodposting:Some owners seem to need to have things handed to them, instead of making an effort.Usually the same ones that whine about the 'unfairness' of an outcome of a clearly defined rule when someone else makes the effort.

My bigger point is that a player like Gordon illustrates why leagues really should have an established method of dealing with the supplemental draft OTHER THAN normal waivers. Leagues that had rules STATING these players would be available via waivers (and said WHEN that availibility starts...at announcement or the actual draft)...there's nothing to argue about for this year, but still might consider adjusting that method for the future. Leagues that didn't have a clear method established beforehand are what I thought we were talking about.Your argument about injuries doesn't fly...any owner not paying attention to injuries during camp/in season deserves to get screwed...but more importantly, those players still go through a waiver process Mon-Wed. Very few leagues use a FCFS waiver system 24/7 because most people agree it isn't fair.
Yes, we are talking about leagues that had no specific rules. I was just pointing out how I felt it was unnecessary to spoon feed some owners. My point still remains. At least in my league, Gordon was available for everyone to pick up via Blind Bids. (this league never uses first come, first serve waivers) Our BB period runs from Thursday evening and is processed on Wednesday evening. So, everyone was playing by the same rules. As a commissioner, I feel it is our job to "fix" things when one owner or a combination of owners does something to circumvent the rules or create an unfair advantage. In this case, I don't think any of those things occurred.

I still find it funny that you think it needs to be announced to everyone. So, are you saying next year, I still need to tell everyone when the supplemental players are available? Even though the rules may clearly state, "supplemental players are available one week after the NFL supplemental draft" ??? Should I also announce each specific injury throughout the season, and let everyone know which possible sleeper could benefit from that injury?Fantasy Football is about information and outmaneuvering your opponents.
:goodposting:Some owners seem to need to have things handed to them, instead of making an effort.Usually the same ones that whine about the 'unfairness' of an outcome of a clearly defined rule when someone else makes the effort.
We aren't talking about "clearly defined rules" here.

My bigger point is that a player like Gordon illustrates why leagues really should have an established method of dealing with the supplemental draft OTHER THAN normal waivers. Leagues that had rules STATING these players would be available via waivers (and said WHEN that availibility starts...at announcement or the actual draft)...there's nothing to argue about for this year, but still might consider adjusting that method for the future. Leagues that didn't have a clear method established beforehand are what I thought we were talking about.

Your argument about injuries doesn't fly...any owner not paying attention to injuries during camp/in season deserves to get screwed...but more importantly, those players still go through a waiver process Mon-Wed. Very few leagues use a FCFS waiver system 24/7 because most people agree it isn't fair.
Yes, we are talking about leagues that had no specific rules. I was just pointing out how I felt it was unnecessary to spoon feed some owners.

My point still remains. At least in my league, Gordon was available for everyone to pick up via Blind Bids. (this league never uses first come, first serve waivers) Our BB period runs from Thursday evening and is processed on Wednesday evening. So, everyone was playing by the same rules. As a commissioner, I feel it is our job to "fix" things when one owner or a combination of owners does something to circumvent the rules or create an unfair advantage. In this case, I don't think any of those things occurred.
Do you allow the use of proxy players? If so...whenWHEN did MFL (or whatever site you use) make Gordon available? The timing of such really does matter. There's a REASON you don't use FCFS bidding, and it's a good one. The same exact reasoning applies to a situation like this.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get on board with the idea that supplemental players should be simply available whenever your league software adds them unless your rules specifically state such. EVERY PLAYER IN YOUR LEAGUE OTHER THAN SUPP PLAYERS HAD TO GO THROUGH A DRAFT PROCESS FIRST...those are your rules, aren't they? You don't pick up rookies via waivers in January, do you? (I'm not referring to the NFL draft here, but dynasty rookie drafts.) This is a general tenet of fairness implied if not stated in EVERY dynasty league I've ever seen. We all know we can pick up veterans or UNDRAFTED rookies in waivers. Unless you've clearly defined them in the rules, it's assinine to assume that supp players are automatically eligible at any specific given point. Lacking clarity in the rules, a fair-minded commissioner must hold up the aquisition of such players until such time as a suitable method is promulgated.

I vehemently disagree with the idea that no rules should = regular waiver process for Supplemental players, and would leave any league that decided such.

I snagged him in my 12 team dynasty league where we have no rules for this situation and our rookie draft was concluded. We have a first come f,irst serve, wide open free agent pool. He was not in out player pool but I claimed him by adding a similarly named player and clarified it as the Baylor wr in the supplemental draft via a note on the message board. I have no complaints from our league.

Yes, we are talking about leagues that had no specific rules. I was just pointing out how I felt it was unnecessary to spoon feed some owners.

My point still remains. At least in my league, Gordon was available for everyone to pick up via Blind Bids. (this league never uses first come, first serve waivers) Our BB period runs from Thursday evening and is processed on Wednesday evening. So, everyone was playing by the same rules. As a commissioner, I feel it is our job to "fix" things when one owner or a combination of owners does something to circumvent the rules or create an unfair advantage. In this case, I don't think any of those things occurred.
Do you allow the use of proxy players? If so...whenWHEN did MFL (or whatever site you use) make Gordon available? The timing of such really does matter. There's a REASON you don't use FCFS bidding, and it's a good one. The same exact reasoning applies to a situation like this.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get on board with the idea that supplemental players should be simply available whenever your league software adds them unless your rules specifically state such. EVERY PLAYER IN YOUR LEAGUE OTHER THAN SUPP PLAYERS HAD TO GO THROUGH A DRAFT PROCESS FIRST...those are your rules, aren't they? You don't pick up rookies via waivers in January, do you? (I'm not referring to the NFL draft here, but dynasty rookie drafts.) This is a general tenet of fairness implied if not stated in EVERY dynasty league I've ever seen. We all know we can pick up veterans or UNDRAFTED rookies in waivers. Unless you've clearly defined them in the rules, it's assinine to assume that supp players are automatically eligible at any specific given point. Lacking clarity in the rules, a fair-minded commissioner must hold up the aquisition of such players until such time as a suitable method is promulgated.

I vehemently disagree with the idea that no rules should = regular waiver process for Supplemental players, and would leave any league that decided such.
Then I guess I won't be sending you an invite any time soon. :)

All kidding aside, I have seen a plethora of rules in my 20+ years of playing fantasy football. The creation of every single rule (or interpretation of a rule) is at the sole discretion of a fantasy football commissioner. Often times, it is a matter of what the commish intended when he started the league. Because of that, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Only different interpretations of how "My" league is going to handle it.

In the case of my league, it's a matter of correcting a possible problem for the league going forward, with the least amount of impact on all owners. Changing rosters, after Bids have been processed, does not fall into this category.

We can agree to disagree on this. I see it as a two part problem. What to do now and what to do to correct it in the future. I think we see eye to eye for the latter.

'KCitons said:
'renesauz said:
'KCitons said:
'renesauz said:

All kidding aside, I have seen a plethora of rules in my 20+ years of playing fantasy football. The creation of every single rule (or interpretation of a rule) is at the sole discretion of a fantasy football commissioner. Often times, it is a matter of what the commish intended when he started the league. Because of that, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Only different interpretations of how "My" league is going to handle it.

In the case of my league, it's a matter of correcting a possible problem for the league going forward, with the least amount of impact on all owners. Changing rosters, after Bids have been processed, does not fall into this category.

We can agree to disagree on this. I see it as a two part problem. What to do now and what to do to correct it in the future. I think we see eye to eye for the latter.
:thumbup:

'KCitons said:
'renesauz said:
'KCitons said:
'renesauz said:

I'm in 100% agreement with Renesauz, view on this matter.

We did the bidding of draft picks like the NFL does. The only problem is knowing that the pick is "spent," once you owned that player. Our donk Commish would safeguard the pick, but ended up trading it in another deal because he forget. MFL, for one, has no good solution for this problem.

So this year all Sup players go into the waiver wire a week after the supplemental draft. Seems to most fair and easiest way to handle.
Poor excuse. If you happen to mistakenly trade away that pick, you lose the next highest. Simple.We hold a supplemental draft using 2013 picks based upon the 2012 order. Whoever uses the highest pick gets the player. If for some reason you "forget" and successfully trade away that pick the following year, you lose the next highest pick. It's the responsibility of the player making the pick. It shouldn't be that hard to police.
I'm guessing your not a commish then. Obxlegends is right, MFL don't have a good solution to this currently so until they do allow the removal of future draft picks then the bidding on a draft pick solution just becomes a turd sandwich for commissioners to monitor 24/7 for 7 months until MFL roll around to next season. The big issue would be in a worst case scenario having to roll back multiple trades if the invalid pick was traded before it was noticed. If they had a solution to it, I would like to use it in my own leagues. We successfully use BB waiver $ in a number of my leagues and it was quite exciting this year. The waivers period started before players declared for the supp draft and ended after the supp draft was completed. Teams have $1000 BB $ each season with balances carried over and $ can be traded. So we had quite a frenzy of trading activity with multiple teams getting in line to try and bid on Gordon. In all 4 leagues with BB $, Gordon went for close to $2000 in each league, I think the highest was $2600

I know this doesn't matter to some of those Commish's that have made up their mind. But, I figured I would post it anyway.

I contacted MFL to see exactly when Gordon was added to the system. According to their email, he was added sometime overnight on July 4th or 5th. Since our league allows bidding from Thurs night and then processes those bid on Wednesday night, Gordon was list/available to all owners for the entire Blind Bidding process.

Had MFL revealed that Gordon was placed in the system within 24-48 hours before Bids were processed, I could see and unfair advantage.

As it stands, this just strengthens my decision on not overturning the Gordon acquisition.

open bidding on league message board using next year's draft picks

you can bid multiple draft picks (if one of the picks is your first)

Users who are viewing this thread