What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (1 Viewer)

Todd in S15 is the only one I can think of that might have been better. And like Maryanne, he made the jury change their minds due to his FTC performance (most of that season's jurors were planning to vote Amanda). That rarely happens -- most of the time most jurors have already made up their minds and don't change them, such as last season with Erika. 
The only one that comes to mind with a better FTC performance is the 2016 season of Australian survivor (which some call season 1, some call season 3...). I think the winner there had the best FTC performance of all. 

Maryanne's a worthy winner and don't think she "coasted" through most of the season.  She was involved early on with the whole bunny rabbit thing and while she wasn't doing anything in challenges she was always talking with people and working on strategy.  She wasn't in your face about it like Mike was but that doesn't mean she wasn't doing it.  Maryanne clearly had a plan and it worked.  The fact she kept that idol secret when everyone else tells someone about theirs if they find one to me is a million dollar move in itself.  Noone can kept a secret anymore except for the goofy loudmouth that's a winning move to me.  Look at Romeo if you want to see coasting, though he had a great final few days so good for him.  

Two funny things about last nights show.   Romeo and his fake idol.  Noone cared lol and Maryanne watching those idiots trying to solve the riddle.  Like all those guys but 40 minutes to figure out a word search.  My god looked like Maryanne wanted to scream out it's sleeping you f*cking idiots!  Thought that was great.

Finals probably should have been Lindsay, Jonathon and Mike, but it never works out that way.

Romeo had zero chance to win but a weak link always gets carried to the end because there is no fear. Jonathon had a target on his back the whole time and Lindsay was pretty solid everywhere. Mike did what he had to do, but everytime he talked I closed my eyes and thought it was Mike Tyson.

The bottom line is that there were only 3 to vote for and out of those 3 Maryann was the winner.  I did not like her at first but I think much of that was editing to make her more annoying than she was.  If she deserves it or not is irrelevant as she is the winner.

I really liked her at the end and she seems like a great person so congrats!

Mike looked bitter after it ended and thought he was at an All-U-Can eat pizza buffet.

pretty meh on the winner.  mike was unable to sell himself.  she did a better job at TC.  he did a better game for 25 days.  romeo was such a waste of space.  painful to watch.  good for him that he won something. all of my favorites were on the jury.   :shrug:   this cast was refreshingly non bitter.  really good season IMHO

Mike was bizarre in the final episode. Promised everything to everyone. Promised Maryanne he'd save her, promised Lindsey he was going to save her, then walked it back. Promised everything to every one. Tried to play it off as a charming nice guy but just came off psycho. He'd insist you look into his eyes, promise not to "vote you out like that" and promised not to lie to someone that he would save them when he wouldn't. You can't do that. You can't do that and expect people to vote for you later. 

He was oblivious to how he was playing and how he came off. Sure, he was less annoying in the edited version we saw early on. But that's not what makes a winner. Playing a good game makes a winner. Mike didn't play a good game in the last 2-3 episodes. 

Yeah, often the "good" players go out at #5 and #4 and that's the game, to get past that point. That's on them. That's not on the game. 

Romeo was such a waste of space.  painful to watch.  good for him that he won something. 

Every year when I watch the show, there's at least one person like Romeo who does absolutely nothing all season. Terrible at challenges, zero social game, etc. It makes me wonder how those people even make the show. Like what was Romeos audition like? What did they see in him that they chose cast him? I'm sure he had to go thru a few interviews or screenings, and yet they still picked him. Surely there had to be hundreds if not thousands of better applicants.

Maybe the fact that he's a gay minority has something to do with it. Gotta stay woke and diverse.

Every year when I watch the show, there's at least one person like Romeo who does absolutely nothing all season. Terrible at challenges, zero social game, etc. It makes me wonder how those people even make the show. Like what was Romeos audition like? What did they see in him that they chose cast him? I'm sure he had to go thru a few interviews or screenings, and yet they still picked him. Surely there had to be hundreds if not thousands of better applicants.

Maybe the fact that he's a gay minority has something to do with it. Gotta stay woke and diverse.
he's on tv here in LA.  he's an on site reporter for stupid celebrity/fashion/gossip crap.  he's probably pretty charismatic when he's sleeping, eating and isn't freezing.  he does also check a lot of boxes for diversity.

He wasnt that bad.  I thought he was ok in the beginning but it seems his nerves got the best of him and most people said he get super paranoid which put him on the bottom.  After that he was blah. 

Not sure we've ever seen a bigger reaction from a jury then when Maryanne pulled out that idol. Kudos to her....she dominated that final TC. Now....did she actually have that whole strategy about locking in all the various top 4 options planned out? (Rather than just making it up prior to final TC?) Who knows. But the jury bought it....so congrats. 

Mike did an absolutely horrible job addressing questions and explaining his strategy. Didn't deserve to win based on that. If you can't sell it... it doesn't matter what you did in the game.

Hate that we got another winner that....let's be honest....coasted for 80% of the game.  Her defining characteristic was how annoying she was right up until the Omer vote. She made a good move late and sold her resume at the end, but I much prefer players that are grinding from day 1.  I thought Mike played an incredibly well rounded game. But the late vote outs got burned by him telling everyone what they wanted to hear and then he didn't own it/explain it enough at the end.

And yeah.....for the love of god....fewest twists PLEASE 
I agree completely. I was amazed that the jury loved the hidden idol so much. How is not using an idol somehow an amazing move? The funny thing is that I think Mike played the idol for her because he knew it didn’t matter because she wouldn’t get votes.

I knew she’d win because Mike was awful. Did he lie or play honorable? We still don’t know. All he had to say is yes, I did have to lie multiple times but I tried to keep my word with the people I was truly loyal to and that’s why I apologized to Rocksroy. He just kept hemming and hawing. I also think that Omar was a wee bit salty and probably sunk Mike a bit before the vote. It seemed like Hai knew Omar faked Mike out about him wanting Mike off.

It is the second straight winner who rode a good tribe to even get to the merge and literally did almost nothing other than have no resume Romeo and terrible answer Mike sit next to her. She can act like she did all this planning but she didn’t control anything at the end, Mike and Romeo did. Even Johnathan corrected her that she didn’t come up with blindsiding Omar. One could even say that Johnathan’s play in the team immunity challenges won her the money.

Romeo was not thinking well. He probably had no chance anyway but why wouldn’t he want Maryanne gone? Johnathan and Mike aren’t eloquent, would split votes and some people didn’t like Johnathan.

Funny that you can enjoy the season but dislike the winner. I guess it can be boring like Boston Rob if there’s no surprises.

What a ridiculous fake idol.   Hey guys, look they're making idols as Bracelets now!    Fancy.
Lol. Nobody even cared about it. Did Romeo think he would get voted off? I think once they were down to 7 or 8, I’m pretty sure everyone was wondering which person do I want in my final 3 with me and Romeo.

The best part was the way he played it at tribal and again no one cared. At least give it to Lindsay to make a show or something.

Man I dunno, some of you are hard to please. I'd say this cast was great, yeah the "best" player didn't win but that's the game. Last season's Shan-craziness was great too. Yeah, still don't like the hourglass and not the "best" player won. But still both were fun to watch. A lot less forgettable than many of those slogs through seasons, like, 10-30 where you can't place like 90% of the players. 

I'd say this cast was great, yeah the "best" player didn't win but that's the game. 
Exactly. Modern Survivor is all about who is the "most medium" -- if you suck you'll get voted out early, if you're too good you'll get voted out late. I find it fascinating. The days of people like Boston Rob, Tom Westman and Kim Spradlin winning by playing dominant games against a bunch of clueless people are over and aren't coming back.  

Man I dunno, some of you are hard to please. I'd say this cast was great, yeah the "best" player didn't win but that's the game. Last season's Shan-craziness was great too. Yeah, still don't like the hourglass and not the "best" player won. But still both were fun to watch. A lot less forgettable than many of those slogs through seasons, like, 10-30 where you can't place like 90% of the players. 
Not me. I hated the hourglass again and didn’t like who won but I definitely enjoyed the season. I liked it better than last season.

Exactly. Modern Survivor is all about who is the "most medium" -- if you suck you'll get voted out early, if you're too good you'll get voted out late. I find it fascinating. The days of people like Boston Rob, Tom Westman and Kim Spradlin winning by playing dominant games against a bunch of clueless people are over and aren't coming back.  
Well, I don’t know about that. Omar should have asked for Lindsay’s idol and Lindsay half assed finding that idol that Maryanne found. Both of them made crucial mistakes or they would have stayed a lot longer and Maryanne would have been a huge goat. Ugh, I’m sure Lindsay’s sick to her stomach when she watched how close she was to the idol guaranteeing her the final 4 and only needing to beat Romeo. Also, maybe Maryanne doesn’t beat Mike without showing the unused idol that really didn’t impact the game at all but got so many gasps at the final tribal. It’s funny that it had zero actual value but amazed the jury. Mike really did blow it big time. I think Romeo’s fake idol would have gotten more votes than Mike.

What a ridiculous fake idol.   Hey guys, look they're making idols as Bracelets now!    Fancy.
The other awesome thing about Romeo's fake idol is how he presented it to the jury and says "I don't need it now, so I'll just throw it in the fire".    Oh OK Romeo...as if every single person that ever played on Survivor wouldn't keep a real one as a trophy to take home.    :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
The other awesome thing about Romeo's fake idol is how he presented it to the jury and says "I don't need it now, so I'll just throw it in the fire".    Oh OK Romeo...as if every single person that ever played on Survivor wouldn't keep a real one as a trophy to take home.    :lmao:
He said it was fake. "This is a fake idol. I made it at camp. I'm gonna throw it in the fire."

Also, the 'real' idols also were just beads on strings that looked like bracelets. His was fine.

He said it was fake. "This is a fake idol. I made it at camp. I'm gonna throw it in the fire."

Also, the 'real' idols also were just beads on strings that looked like bracelets. His was fine.
Ah ok, I missed him saying it was fake part.   Oh come one the real ones were much bigger and actually necklaces.  Nobody would believe his little bracelet if he would've actually showed it at camp.

Real Idols vs Fake Idol...

It's close enough, someone who hasn't seen a real one and held onto it for a dozen days could be fooled. Someone who just sees a peek of it... wouldn't be sure enough either way to bet their entire game on day 25 that their hunch was right. 

It is hard for the best strategic players to win because the people playing realize they are the best strategic players and vote them out. Omar was really playing a great under the radar game; his problem was he did so much stuff under the radar, other players realized he was pulling the strings and got him out. Lindsey also played a good game, but like most good physical players, her game became dependent on winning challenges. When she didn't win late to protect herself, she was out.

Great season. I too wish for a solution to goats at final but people have been bringing a Romeo most seasons for like 15 years. 

Maryanne definitely won it…but I kind of feel more like Mike lost it at FTC. Reduced to incoherence really. 

I go back and forth on twists. Some of them totally suck (hourglass). Some of them I think make it so you can’t get a Pagong where the boot order is obvious and nothing shakes it up. I think the amulet was a good idea that could have played out differently. I’m uncertain on the shot in the dark - I like that it means it’s more obvious you’re the backup so it shakes things up a little since you can’t risk a 5–0 vote on somebody. But also if someone who sucks gets to skate a week and a great player gets booted as a result I’ll be sad. 

The Monty Hall challenge is stupid. But I like the do or die challenge idea where it’s like “Fine if you’re out first there’s a penalty.”

Corporation said:
the way she answered the strategic question that showed how many options she had to the final was brilliant. 
A+ work, and won her $1MM.

Love that the other players were good enough to recognize and reward her for it.  Correctly gaming out all the permutations from six down, and then never needing your idol is super play.

Mike didn't handle Final very well either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instinctive said:
Great season. I too wish for a solution to goats at final but people have been bringing a Romeo most seasons for like 15 years. 

Maryanne definitely won it…but I kind of feel more like Mike lost it at FTC. Reduced to incoherence really. 

I go back and forth on twists. Some of them totally suck (hourglass). Some of them I think make it so you can’t get a Pagong where the boot order is obvious and nothing shakes it up. I think the amulet was a good idea that could have played out differently. I’m uncertain on the shot in the dark - I like that it means it’s more obvious you’re the backup so it shakes things up a little since you can’t risk a 5–0 vote on somebody. But also if someone who sucks gets to skate a week and a great player gets booted as a result I’ll be sad. 

The Monty Hall challenge is stupid. But I like the do or die challenge idea where it’s like “Fine if you’re out first there’s a penalty.”
Agree with just about all of this. Though Maryanne walking through her final 6 strategy and surprising the jury with her extra immunity idol were great and blew away anything that the other two said during the finals. 

I like the idea of Do or Die, and would be fine if is was used more frequently, but the penalty should just be losing your vote at the next tribal. The potential eviction (which apparently never happens) is just too big of a game changer.

Agree with just about all of this. Though Maryanne walking through her final 6 strategy and surprising the jury with her extra immunity idol were great and blew away anything that the other two said during the finals. 

I like the idea of Do or Die, and would be fine if is was used more frequently, but the penalty should just be losing your vote at the next tribal. The potential eviction (which apparently never happens) is just too big of a game changer.

Well, the 'die' part is the final game changer, no?

I’m fine with do or die as it is now but not that late in the game.  Like right before merge or right after merge is the absolute latest it should occur.  

but if they do it that late then i agree penalty shouldn’t be eviction by a game of chance.  Lose a vote at that stage would make things very interesting without completely destroying one’s game.  

I’m fine with do or die as it is now but not that late in the game.  Like right before merge or right after merge is the absolute latest it should occur.  

but if they do it that late then i agree penalty shouldn’t be eviction by a game of chance.  Lose a vote at that stage would make things very interesting without completely destroying one’s game.  
Another possible penalty could be go to tribal with one vote against you already.

Mike deserved to lose after going out of the final IC during the warm up! 

Seriously, Mike or Maryanne would have been worthy winners. I would have given Maryanne the nod, too, and it's rare to see someone adapt their game in real-time and find a winning formula. Shows just as much as someone who comes in with a good plan they are able to execute during their run. 

Count me as another one who thought the most worthy winners were all on the jury, but I guess that's the nature of Survivor these days.  Gameplay has evolved and the lesser players are much more likely to band together and vote out the strong players earlier and earlier it seems.

Also, has there ever been someone at final tribal who claimed "I played a game of integrity" and the jury actually bought it?  Many people have tried to argue that and inevitably it pisses a bunch of the jury members off.  I think it's imperative that they say "Yes, I lied and deceived.  It's part of the game.  I did it better than you and that's why I'm at final tribal and you're not."  

Seriously, Mike or Maryanne would have been worthy winners. I would have given Maryanne the nod, too, and it's rare to see someone adapt their game in real-time and find a winning formula. Shows just as much as someone who comes in with a good plan they are able to execute during their run. 
Agreed. From the exit interviews that came out yesterday, it sounds like from the merge on Maryanne was always thinking about how to get to the final three and who to sit with -- it just didn't involve making any big moves until late, because she couldn't afford to since she wasn't a core member of the majority alliance. 

You might have to go back to the very earliest seasons, most of which I haven't watched. It certainly doesn't work now. 
The only people who might fall into that category are people who excelled at challenges and got to the end that way but that’s rare as well know. The first misstep in a challenge tends to send them home.

It’s really not that hard to formulate a good response, Mike just did an awful job of it. It’s one thing to say you were most disappointed in voting off Rocksroy because you wanted to be loyal to him and saying it was the only time you deceived anyone. He also was really dumb to not play his idol on Johnathan instead of Maryanne. He gave Maryanne more ammunition and to be honest he was dumb to promise it to her as he didn’t need to do that.

Count me as another one who thought the most worthy winners were all on the jury, but I guess that's the nature of Survivor these days.  Gameplay has evolved and the lesser players are much more likely to band together and vote out the strong players earlier and earlier it seems.

Also, has there ever been someone at final tribal who claimed "I played a game of integrity" and the jury actually bought it?  Many people have tried to argue that and inevitably it pisses a bunch of the jury members off.  I think it's imperative that they say "Yes, I lied and deceived.  It's part of the game.  I did it better than you and that's why I'm at final tribal and you're not."  
Honestly, I think Maryanne played the game the way that you have to play it these days to win. Sit back and lay low early on while other people are making their "big moves", and then pick them off late when everyone recognizes them as threats. Play a good social game early on, so you have good relationships with people and you won't be targeted early on (did she ever even receive a single vote at a tribal post-merge?). Be just non-threatening enough that even if you don't win the final immunity challenge, you have a chance of being brought along by the winner. Make a good case to the jury.

You can't win if you don't make it to the final four. And all these players that you think were playing a better game than her were making themselves viewed as a threat too early.

I’m curious what the thoughts are about Jonathan. If he doesn’t blink out on the final immunity challenge or wins the fire contest, did he have a chance to win? I can’t tell if he was liked or respected by his fellow competitors or not. I know Lindsay had a beef with him but he did towards her as well. That was like two alpha athletes that could not get along.

My wife and I liked him, maybe for different reasons. Physically dominating but awful with strategy stuff. Did he have a chance against Maryanne? 

I’m curious what the thoughts are about Jonathan. If he doesn’t blink out on the final immunity challenge or wins the fire contest, did he have a chance to win? I can’t tell if he was liked or respected by his fellow competitors or not. I know Lindsay had a beef with him but he did towards her as well. That was like two alpha athletes that could not get along.

My wife and I liked him, maybe for different reasons. Physically dominating but awful with strategy stuff. Did he have a chance against Maryanne? 
They continuously showed him getting in arguments with women, and cut to confessionals of women saying he didn’t listen to them. So my guess is it would not have gone well for him at FTC.

I think he did and he didn't. 

This group really respected gameplay. But Jonathan also was repeatedly shown to rub a bunch of the women the wrong way. Like...I can envision myself winning Indiv Immunity like he did and competing like Lindsay (I obviously wouldn't come close to the dominance level, but think I could have won the same ones against the same people), but I would have handled the relationship with Lindsay SOOOOOO much better. We'd have been Bird and Magic or something, not Isiah and MJ. 

Right.  Survivor 101 stuff, and Mike blew it.

"I came in intending to establish that I was a good ally and play as honest as possible, but you know that can only get you so far, and when I voted for A,B,C even though they trusted me I was playing the game.  If I hadn't been trustworthy at the start I wouldn't have been as able to vote off the people I needed to vote off later in the game, and if I'd been trustworthy at the end I'd be sitting where you are."

They continuously showed him getting in arguments with women, and cut to confessionals of women saying he didn’t listen to them. So my guess is it would not have gone well for him at FTC.
Yeah that dispute with LIndsey and his "you voted for me" was cringey. Because he used it like it excused his action, which it didn't. They both betrayed each other at the same time, and Lindsey was up front and acknowledged that she absolutely did betray him. However, he never acknowledged that he was in the wrong at the same time, and had betrayed her. He used post-facto evidence to excuse what he did prior to knowing the evidence, which isn't right.  All she wanted to hear from him was "yes, I betrayed our alliance as well, before I knew you had done the same," and admit he backstabbed her... which is perfectly fine gameplay in Survivor. But he refused to admit it. 

If he'd been the same to the rest of the jury, he wouldn't have fared any better than Mike did with them.

If he'd been the same to the rest of the jury, he wouldn't have fared any better than Mike did with them.
And the difference is that Mike was well-liked by the jury. They just wanted him to own his game, which he didn't do. I don't think Jonathan would have been given the chances that Mike got at FTC. He would have been dismissed like Romeo was. 

Yeah that dispute with LIndsey and his "you voted for me" was cringey. Because he used it like it excused his action, which it didn't. They both betrayed each other at the same time, and Lindsey was up front and acknowledged that she absolutely did betray him. However, he never acknowledged that he was in the wrong at the same time, and had betrayed her. He used post-facto evidence to excuse what he did prior to knowing the evidence, which isn't right.  All she wanted to hear from him was "yes, I betrayed our alliance as well, before I knew you had done the same," and admit he backstabbed her... which is perfectly fine gameplay in Survivor. But he refused to admit it. 

It kind of did excuse him, he just didn't do a good job. It was as simple as:

"Hey Lindsay, you're a great competitor. You've been gunning for me for a few days and I know that. I respect it. But let's not pretend "we're in an alliance" is why I should bring you in about Omar. You've been gunning for me. I got to him, and now I'm coming for you. You're most likely to beat me in any given challenge and that's how it goes. May the best of us win. Put yourself in my shoes - you just voted for me also. So you're upset with me for turning on you the same tribal you turned on me. Are you upset with me, or just upset it didn't work?"

He seemed to like to tell women they were being aggressive. 

On Yahoo News there was an interview with Lindsay on the front page after Survivor was over, and she was asked a couple questions about Jonathan.  Here there are:

You and Maryanne both made comments about the way Jonathan was talking to and treating women on the beach. What was the issue there?

To put it in a quick sentence, Jonathan's a misogynist. Or at least it felt that way on the island. I'm not someone who's going to be talked to that way in real life. In real life, I would never have accepted being spoken to that way for myself or anybody else that I would've seen that happen [to], but it's a social game so you really can't say that. In my mind, that was very infuriating internally for me. So I figure, "How else can I do this? You know what? I'm going to beat you at the one thing that you're good at, and I'll just beat you in challenges instead. So that was my little way to get back at you considering I can't voice myself in a social game that way."

The edit made it seem like at first you guys were close and then started to drift apart. Is that the case?

I would say up [until] day five we were close. And then me and Jonathan had a kind of bout together where I started noticing more of his true colors. At that point, I started noticing [things], but I was thinking, "Oh, maybe he is under fed. Maybe it's just because I'm a very outspoken person. He's very alpha. Maybe it's because I'm kind of alpha too."

And then as time went on, I started being able to gather like, "Okay, this is a trend that I notice." So no, that was under my skin for a while. He was part of my four of Taku, but he wasn't somebody I was really going back and forth with on strategy at all. I noticed that I couldn't tell Jonathan a strategy, Omar had to do it. So when Omar would pitch it, Jonathan would listen. If I pitched it, [it] would get neglected.

Users who are viewing this thread