What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sweetheart Roller Skating Rink in Florida - photos from 1972 (1 Viewer)

Das Boot

Footballguy
These photos are great!... I fondly remember the classic early 70's hair and clothes.

The pics remind me of Dazed and Confused... (close enough, 1972 vs 1976) - for maximum enjoyment, put on the soundtrack from the movie while perusing them.

Dazed and Confused soundtrack on youtube

Link to pictures

In September 1972, photographer Bill Yates was wandering the back roads of Florida when he stumbled across the Sweetheart Roller Skating Rink in Hillsborough County.Every weekend, for the next 7 months, Yates documented the skaters, the go-go girls, the booze, the humidity, everything. He shot over 600 photographs, but the negatives were packed away and forgotten when Yates moved to Providence to go to school at the Rhode Island School of Design. 40 years later, the photographer unearthed this amazing time capsule.The traveling exhibit, entitled Sweetheart Roller Skating Rink, was selected in the Photolucida Critical Mass as a top 50 portfolio of 2013 and will be on display at the Ogden Museum in New Orleans from October 3 through January 17.All photos by Bill Yates, courtesy of the Ogden Museum.

I'll bet most of the youngins in those pics are dead by now thanks to all them cigs they were munchin back then.

Looks like #11 is straight out of the movie Freaks.

:gooblegobbleoneofusweaccepther:

Last edited by a moderator:
Binky The Doormat said:
dutch said:
I'll bet most of the youngins in those pics are dead by now thanks to all them cigs they were munchin back then.
Whoa, those pictures aren't from the '30s dust bowl ...most of those people are younger than me and I'm not 60.
Everyone that was 18 in 1972 is dead. This is well known.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Dazed and Confused meets Deliverance
This is in the Six Mile Creek Area in Eastern Hillsborough county about 20-30min outside of Tampa. It's still a crappy area. This looked nothing like Tampa at the time. *fun fact*

The comedian Gallagher's parents owned a skating rink in Tampa. He grew up there and was a great skater.

Binky The Doormat said:
dutch said:
Whoa, those pictures aren't from the '30s dust bowl ...most of those people are younger than me and I'm not 60.
I was commenting on the amount of cigs the young kids were smoking and all I could think of was cancer cluster. Reminded me of Don Draper and friends.

Binky The Doormat said:
dutch said:
I was commenting on the amount of cigs the young kids were smoking and all I could think of was cancer cluster. Reminded me of Don Draper and friends.
When I went to high school we had a smoking area for students. Was actually something our class raised money for. My how times have changed.In 72 I was 9 and I had friends who smoked.

Does this place still exist? Looks like some place that would be reconfigured a bunch of times then abandoned. Cool stuff.

Though taken in 1972, a lot of the elements of those photos look pulled forward in time from, say, the late-40s/early-50s. I think it's the architecture and décor of the place, the image of the shelved skates and paper tickets, the clothes on the older folks, the "who cares?" about smoking, etc.

Might have been less than a half-hour from Tampa, but those folks are very, very rural in mindset. I wonder if that area is more suburban and forward-facing today?

This is in the Six Mile Creek Area in Eastern Hillsborough county about 20-30min outside of Tampa. It's still a crappy area. This looked nothing like Tampa at the time.*fun fact*

The comedian Gallagher's parents owned a skating rink in Tampa. He grew up there and was a great skater.
Maybe its just me, but he just looks like he would be into roller skating.

This is in the Six Mile Creek Area in Eastern Hillsborough county about 20-30min outside of Tampa. It's still a crappy area. This looked nothing like Tampa at the time.*fun fact*

Maybe its just me, but he just looks like he would be into roller skating.
I just picture him skating around with a sledgehammer, terrified adolescents skating like hell away from him, and a watermelon rolling around on the floor of the rink.

Though taken in 1972, a lot of the elements of those photos look pulled forward in time from, say, the late-40s/early-50s. I think it's the architecture and décor of the place, the image of the shelved skates and paper tickets, the clothes on the older folks, the "who cares?" about smoking, etc.

Might have been less than a half-hour from Tampa, but those folks are very, very rural in mindset. I wonder if that area is more suburban and forward-facing today?
This is kind of by where I-4 & I75 intersect. Tampa grew out that way when most of the development in FL happened in the 50's & 60's. Most of the area is still older homes & industrial. Brandon exploded in the 80's and now all of these old areas are essentially the outskirts of Brandon. Brandon has a mall, Bass Pro, and every other type of store imaginable.

So, it's safe to say the area is nothing like it was back then.

Tampa metro is pretty sprawled.

*fun fact*

Not surprising - I can totally see the people in these photos thinking someone smashing fruit is the funniest thing in the world.

*fun fact*

Not surprising - I can totally see the people in these photos thinking someone smashing fruit is the funniest thing in the world.
I never cared for the fruit smashing, but at the time, I thought his actual material was pretty good.

Binky%20The%20Doormat said:
dutch said:
Everyone that was 18 in 1972 is dead. This is well known.
Some of those smokers looked under 10.
And you can't blame Joe Camel this time.

I touched my first (over the shirt) boob after walking a girl home from the skating rink. Ah, I still remember those bags of sand.

here is a little trick of the internet i leaned if you hit ctrl and the minus sign it makes the picture small and if you do that about fifty times after you open these they almost go away completely which is sweet and then you do not have to look at a bunch of floridas finest at all or you could turn off your computer which also works man those are just a few tips of the internet from the old swcer take that to the bank brohans

cstu said:
2 looks like what Hilary Swank was going for in "Boys Don't Cry". Nice rack though.

3 has amazing hips. She'd easily squat out a healthy brood. Nice rack but man she's a wooly little thing. A little lapfro never scared me.

1 looks very sweet. Little thicker but she'd make her man happy.

I think I'll lean 1...but 3 could easily sway me.

Users who are viewing this thread