What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

T Jones as a #RB sleeper? (1 Viewer)

chachmaster

Footballguy
I have the feeling for a strong bounce back year for Thomas Jones and think he may be a steal in the early 4th round this year.

- Faneca + Fergueson + Mangold

- overlooked because of poor TD total (rushing yards wasnt bad)

- Clemens should open up the offense w/ a big arm

I know Leon Washington is a solid 3rd down back but T Jones proved he's a workhorse and can run and catch as seen in Chicago.

Thoughts?

:bye:

How much value would Jones have if the Jets drafted DMac?
Not very much. The question is, what would the Jets do with Jones, DMac and Washignton on their roster?Washignton is a very explosive home run threat with deceptive inside running ability. See his 2005 rookie campaign where he put up close to 1000 combined yards in a very average offense. Would Jones become expendable or is it in the Jets best interest to address other needs of concern on their team as opposed to drafting DMac. DMac behind that line could be really scary for sometime to come but is it their best move at this point?

David Yudkin said:
that's what I was thinking. There's a good chance IMO that he won't even be the starter next year.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
David Yudkin said:
Not very much. The question is, what would the Jets do with Jones, DMac and Washignton on their roster?Washignton is a very explosive home run threat with deceptive inside running ability. See his 2005 rookie campaign where he put up close to 1000 combined yards in a very average offense. Would Jones become expendable or is it in the Jets best interest to address other needs of concern on their team as opposed to drafting DMac. DMac behind that line could be really scary for sometime to come but is it their best move at this point?
What did Minn do with Taylor, MeMo and AP? Best guy plays...

David Yudkin said:
that's what I was thinking. There's a good chance IMO that he won't even be the starter next year.
I once thought Chester Taylor was a great buy low (for TJ actually), I mean they spent a ton of cash on Hutch to run block him, right?Then they drafted that bum who got injured against lousy Iowa State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
David Yudkin said:
What did Minn do with Taylor, MeMo and AP? Best guy plays...
You beat me to that answer. If the Jets believe in DMac, they sure aren't going to pass on him just because they have an old journeyman and a younger role player already on the roster. Their only question at pick #6 is if they see a bigger difference maker at another position on the board.

even if they don't Draft DMac... then their drafting which ever one falls in the 2nd rd... I see TJ having a similar C Taylor yr. Come out strong but fade away at the end of the season when the rook takes the ball.

Count me in as one of those who thinks it is highly likely that the Jets will take a RB in the first 3 rounds. This would kill Jones' value.

even if they don't Draft DMac... then their drafting which ever one falls in the 2nd rd... I see TJ having a similar C Taylor yr. Come out strong but fade away at the end of the season when the rook takes the ball.
everyone seems to be of the opinion that what AP did last year was the norm & that the top 3 guys from this year are all going to do the same thing. that aint gonna happen folks. AP is a freak of nature. he was the exception, not the rule. i love the potential but it's just that, potential.

if the falcons pass on ryan and go DT would the jets take ryan?
There are others who follow the Jets closer than I do, but my impression is that the team still sees itself in rebuilding mode and wants to give Clemons a shot. There are also elite prospects at other positions that I could see them picking instead.

everyone seems to be of the opinion that what AP did last year was the norm & that the top 3 guys from this year are all going to do the same thing. that aint gonna happen folks. AP is a freak of nature. he was the exception, not the rule. i love the potential but it's just that, potential.
In any other year people would be freaking out about a 211 lb. RB who ran a 4.33 at the combine. But after AP everyone looks pedestrian and of course DMcLovin has skinny legs.

In any other year people would be freaking out about a 211 lb. RB who ran a 4.33 at the combine. But after AP everyone looks pedestrian and of course DMcLovin has skinny legs.
i'm not talking about his measurable skills, i'm talking his actual game skills. not every combine freak translates to the field.

I think the opinions I'm reading in this thread are what make T Jones a good "buy low" sleeper candidate. Most seem down on him, but he has the potential to produce nicely if things fall into place for him.

low perception + potential = value

I think he's someone worth taking a chance on if the price is right. I'll be keeping an eye on this situation.

i'm not talking about his measurable skills, i'm talking his actual game skills. not every combine freak translates to the field.
He proved it on the field for 3 straight years and proved it at the combine.

I think if DMac falls to the Jets at #6 they probably would take him just like AP falling to the Vikes last year. I personally think the Raiders will take him at #4. I think most people arent giving TJ and Leon enough credit. I think with the O Line upgrades they would do just fine next year.

I think if DMac falls to the Jets at #6 they probably would take him just like AP falling to the Vikes last year. I personally think the Raiders will take him at #4.
The more I look at it, I don't see it happening. Oakland will almost certainly grab a lineman. Which side of the ball depends on the first three picks.

I think if DMac falls to the Jets at #6 they probably would take him just like AP falling to the Vikes last year. I personally think the Raiders will take him at #4.
The more I look at it, I don't see it happening. Oakland will almost certainly grab a lineman. Which side of the ball depends on the first three picks.
Wouldnt that just screw up some rookie drafts if KC drafted DMAC lol

Speaking of LJ, I want to know why Bryant Johnson hasn't visited KC. It would be a perfect fit. The Chiefs need someone opposite Bowe, and he gets to play with his brother to boot. BJ took a visit somewhere today -- I forget where though.

Chiefs GM Peterson said he would think long and hard about taking McFadden. It's not as if the Chiefs haven't taken a RB highly even with a great starter in his late 20s.

Speaking of LJ, I want to know why Bryant Johnson hasn't visited KC. It would be a perfect fit. The Chiefs need someone opposite Bowe, and he gets to play with his brother to boot. BJ took a visit somewhere today -- I forget where though.
Bryant Johnson was supposed to have visited Washington. I haven't heard anything.Bryant and Larry Johnson are not brothers. They both attended PSU together, and Larry's brother Tony was also a WR there at the time. They are the sons of Larry Johnson Sr, who also played for Penn St. and then became a coach there.

From a 2001 article:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2001/...4-20-01cm-7.asp

Penn State brothers Larry and Tony Johnson made the same choice as several other State College natives, including David Kimball and recently signed recruit Chris Ganter, by staying at home and playing in front of their hometown crowd.
One of the Penn State coaches who has been familiar with several of the area kids is defensive line coach Larry Johnson, Sr. Johnson, who has been on staff at Penn State for the last six years, has seen several of the area's kids grow up because his two sons, Tony and Larry, have played with most of them.

Bryant Johnson was supposed to have visited Washington. I haven't heard anything.Bryant and Larry Johnson are not brothers. They both attended PSU together, and Larry's brother Tony was also a WR there at the time. They are the sons of Larry Johnson Sr, who also played for Penn St. and then became a coach there.
Ahhhh, thanks. I must have been thinking of Tony.

Riffraff said:
Brutis said:
Raider Nation said:
Brutis said:
Chiefs GM Peterson said he would think long and hard about taking McFadden. It's not as if the Chiefs haven't taken a RB highly even with a great starter in his late 20s.
He may think long and hard but he'll definitely pick someone else. He's posturing. They don't need another RB, they need about everything else though.

redman said:
There are others who follow the Jets closer than I do, but my impression is that the team still sees itself in rebuilding mode and wants to give Clemons a shot. There are also elite prospects at other positions that I could see them picking instead.
A month a go I'd say NO shot with all the holes on this team.But, Man, my thinking is that you can't pass up the top QB in the draft without doing extreme due diligence..... They should work that guy out assuming he's their guy even just to drum up interest...When all the work is done, if they think he's a franchise QB how the hell can you pass him by?Chad is due some decent money - So, You let Ryan And Clemens battle and maybe sign a vet.

redman said:
A month a go I'd say NO shot with all the holes on this team.But, Man, my thinking is that you can't pass up the top QB in the draft without doing extreme due diligence..... They should work that guy out assuming he's their guy even just to drum up interest...When all the work is done, if they think he's a franchise QB how the hell can you pass him by?Chad is due some decent money - So, You let Ryan And Clemens battle and maybe sign a vet.
:hophead: With the recent additions the Jets have added they would have to strongly consider taking Ryan if he falls to them. That is if they think he is a franchise QB.Back to the topic, TJ is worth a look and a good "buy low" for a RB 3-4 with some upside if the draft works in his favor.

you're right, 3 years at arkansas is just like the NFL. :confused:i think he'll be good, maybe really good. but lets hold off on putting him the HOF just yet.

so with the signing of jesse chatman, do you all still think mcfadden is a lock?

you're right, 3 years at arkansas is just like the NFL. :oi think he'll be good, maybe really good. but lets hold off on putting him the HOF just yet.
Not sure where I'm putting in the HOF, just not getting the irrational attitude toward the guy. IMO, AP is a once-in-a-generation talent and for all intents and purposes it's meaningless to compare rookies to him. The top 3 RB's in this class do compare favorably to everyone except AP and are 'potential' top-10 backs (not really a stretch considering half the top-10 rushers will be 29+ next year).

Why speculate? How much value would he have if they drafted Long? We could do this all day? Pointless.As to the OP, I think you might be onto something there. Until something changes, I could see him bouncing back some. I think Mangini like him. Leon is a threat but I just don't see him being more than the 3rd down back.

I have the feeling for a strong bounce back year for Thomas Jones.- Faneca + Fergueson + Mangold
And if Woody can return to form... look out.
Has a player or coach ever been anything after leaving the Lions? Seriously, I can't think of one Lions HC that ever went on to anything but retirement. Wait, I think Morninghweg is still coaching somewhere. That's about it. As for players....hmmmm...A lineman here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread