What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tampa RBs - Rest of Year (1 Viewer)

Hoss Style

Footballguy
Sorry, I got tired of the "Pole" thread. I think many were skipping over it.

On a serious note - there's value to be had here. Leonard and Rainy (and/or Hill?) are going to get carries. I posted a blurb in the other thread that brought up the point that Tampa Bay is 15th in the League in rushing - getting just over 111 YPG.

It seems Leonard is the better pass catcher and blocker and Rainy has more burst and "big play" ability? I haven't seen them play - maybe some TB homers can help here.

Either way - a lot of us are hurting at the RB position this year. I think the opportunity exists to fill a need on some teams. Just glancing at one of my FF League pages here... Leonard is owned in 45% and Rainy in 61%.

Thoughts?

ETA: Michael Hill got signed. I know nothing about him except this blurb someone else posted:

rotoworld:Bucs signed RB Michael Hill off the Packers' practice squad.

Hill was the 2012 Player of the Year in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association, and rushed for 4,969 yards with 35 touchdowns while at Missouri Western State. He'll slide in behind Brian Leonard and Bobby Rainey in Tampa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone has seen what Leonard has to offer, which isn't much. Yes he's a Rutgers guy and has the coach's trust, but he's not spectacular. Rainey is that unknown commodity that has shown some spark. I liked him in Cleveland, but Oby already filled that role with the team. The need for a KR/PR guy came, so Rainey was shipped out of town. The limited time I saw Rainey, I saw the spark he brought. If I was looking long-term, dynasty type of pickup, I'd get Rainey. If I'm a regular league looking for a solid 5-10 pts, I'd grab Leonard.

Leonard will get the majority of touches on the ground, where Rainey will get more of the pitches and tosses from the backfield. Rainey could find a good opening and tear one off for 50yds. Then his next few touches will provide 6yds. Meanwhile, Leonard will continue to pound it out in the trenches.

Whoa...

Just looked at the box score. Rainy just had a 43 yard TD run. Already has 88 yards and the 2nd Qtr is not even over yet.

Rainey's the man here, it seems.

It was a pretty fantastic run, too. Great moves. Leonard has looked quite solid on his opportunities too, but certainly not as explosive.

What's kind of amazing is how good James, Rainey, and even Leonard have looked versus how execrable Martin was this year.

It was a pretty fantastic run, too. Great moves. Leonard has looked quite solid on his opportunities too, but certainly not as explosive.

What's kind of amazing is how good James, Rainey, and even Leonard have looked versus how execrable Martin was this year.
Yeah, I haven't had time to watch many games this year. Didn't get to see Martin a lot. Is he the Buc's version of Trent Richardson? Will one of the guys playing now hold the job even when Martin comes back? I'm thinking Dynasty/Keeper here.

Jesus christ. I didn't order Ticket this year because I'm so busy. I wish I had it now to watch the Tampa game. Are we seeing a late season stud appear?

Is he really looking this good?

Is/Was Martin crap? Or has the OLine inmproved since he's been gone?

I haven't seen their games.
my belief is that Freeman wasn't doing much of anything for his first 3 games and teams were not worried about him, and were stacking the box against Martin. Then it was Glennon time, whom Martin played 2 full games with before his injury in the 3rd game, and he was just getting his feet wet and teams were still stacking the box against Martin.

With injuries to Martin, then Mike James, you can make an assumption that defenses aren't really focusing on game-planning against Rainey or Leonard.

I would say that switching from Freeman to Glennon and then Glennon's swift improvement is the greatest contributing factor to the RB success post-Martin. Buy Martin low if possible in dynasty.

pipedream said:
I would say that switching from Freeman to Glennon and then Glennon's swift improvement is the greatest contributing factor to the RB success post-Martin. Buy Martin low if possible in dynasty.
You bring up a good point I haven't heard yet. I'm interested to see how Martin does when he comes back (if he still has the job).

It sure looks like the o-line is creating room to run. I honestly believe that both Mike James and now Bobby Rainey are borderline NFL running backs. That really isn't a knock, just my observations.

I have confidence in Rainey, largely because James was beginning to look like a difference maker to my fantasy team. Rainey has a burst and some ability, and there are gaping holes plus good playcalling going on for the Bucs. I think he is a valuable player to own for the rest of your run.

pipedream said:
You bring up a good point I haven't heard yet. I'm interested to see how Martin does when he comes back (if he still has the job).
If he still has the job? Don't overthink this people.

If he still has the job? Don't overthink this people.
The job as the everydown back, I mean. If Rainey turns out to be a stud then Martin might not come back and get as many carries as he did before. We see RBs change every month in the NFL. Martin hasn't shown me he's head and shoulders above anyone so far in his career.

Users who are viewing this thread