What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin - Upside (1 Viewer)

Sproles is actually pretty heavy for his height. About the same height/weight ratio as Ray Rice or Brian Westbrook. He is built like a typical RB. Just happens to be 3-4 inches shorter than usual.

On the other hand, Austin has a typical speed WR height/weight ratio. In terms of height/weight ratio, he's like a 5'8" version of AJ Green or a slightly thinner Jeremy Maclin. Probably not a guy you want getting whacked 15 times per game, but we'll see.
Yes, but the new non-violent flag football rules being implemented is very much in favor of the offense and mitigates some of the advantage of big, strong DBs and certainly favors the quick and fast WRs.
I agree with you for the most part but its not as if violence had been removed from the league. You're just more likely to get 15 yards for plastering some little guy now then you were a few years ago. And it only takes one big shot.

Austin had some of his best games against his toughest opponents in college. My hunch is he will rise to the level of competition in this league as well.

I have pick 1.01 and am pretty sure I'm taking Austin. I don't understand the "injury risk" because he is small. To me, injuries are much more player specific - I mean Aaron Hernandez, Beanie Wells and Darren McFadden are all essentially prototype size and yet are always hurt, whereas I'm not sure Warrick Dunn, Steve Smith (broken leg aside), or Marvin harrison (all of whom would be consider very undersized) ever missed any significant time - Harrison played nearly every game for years and he was th same weight as Austin and 4 inches taller.

I know the idea that someone is "injury prone" is not statistically proven. I also know there's players I always worry about being hurt and others that I feel pretty safe with.

I have pick 1.01 and am pretty sure I'm taking Austin. I don't understand the "injury risk" because he is small. To me, injuries are much more player specific - I mean Aaron Hernandez, Beanie Wells and Darren McFadden are all essentially prototype size and yet are always hurt, whereas I'm not sure Warrick Dunn, Steve Smith (broken leg aside), or Marvin harrison (all of whom would be consider very undersized) ever missed any significant time - Harrison played nearly every game for years and he was th same weight as Austin and 4 inches taller.I know the idea that someone is "injury prone" is not statistically proven. I also know there's players I always worry about being hurt and others that I feel pretty safe with.
I wouldn't consider there to be any "injury concerns" with Austin, but anyone out there who thinks his size doesn't raise the "risk" of injury above the average (6'0, ~190) WR or your proto-build WRs (6'3, 220) isn't being realistic.

The NFL is filled with the top 1-2% of college players. These are the biggest, strongest, fastest guys from the talent pool.

Austin will be facing defensive backs in the NFL every week on par with maybe the 2-3 best he saw in his college career. This is where I am concerned about Austin. We're all hoping he's going to be so electric, he can use his atleticism to seperate from defenders and get open. In the event the NFL defender is able to nuetralize (to a degree) that dynamic speed/agility he relied on in college, a guy who is 5'8, 175 is going to have a difficult time using his frame, toughness or route running to offset any other shortcomings.

I have pick 1.01 and am pretty sure I'm taking Austin. I don't understand the "injury risk" because he is small. To me, injuries are much more player specific - I mean Aaron Hernandez, Beanie Wells and Darren McFadden are all essentially prototype size and yet are always hurt, whereas I'm not sure Warrick Dunn, Steve Smith (broken leg aside), or Marvin harrison (all of whom would be consider very undersized) ever missed any significant time - Harrison played nearly every game for years and he was th same weight as Austin and 4 inches taller.I know the idea that someone is "injury prone" is not statistically proven. I also know there's players I always worry about being hurt and others that I feel pretty safe with.
I wouldn't consider there to be any "injury concerns" with Austin, but anyone out there who thinks his size doesn't raise the "risk" of injury above the average (6'0, ~190) WR or your proto-build WRs (6'3, 220) isn't being realistic.

The NFL is filled with the top 1-2% of college players. These are the biggest, strongest, fastest guys from the talent pool.

Austin will be facing defensive backs in the NFL every week on par with maybe the 2-3 best he saw in his college career. This is where I am concerned about Austin. We're all hoping he's going to be so electric, he can use his atleticism to seperate from defenders and get open. In the event the NFL defender is able to nuetralize (to a degree) that dynamic speed/agility he relied on in college, a guy who is 5'8, 175 is going to have a difficult time using his frame, toughness or route running to offset any other shortcomings.
:goodposting:

Sproles is actually pretty heavy for his height. About the same height/weight ratio as Ray Rice or Brian Westbrook. He is built like a typical RB. Just happens to be 3-4 inches shorter than usual.

On the other hand, Austin has a typical speed WR height/weight ratio. In terms of height/weight ratio, he's like a 5'8" version of AJ Green or a slightly thinner Jeremy Maclin. Probably not a guy you want getting whacked 15 times per game, but we'll see.
Austin's BMI is just about as close to Brandon Marshall's as it is to AJ Green's. If Austin puts on just 5 pounds, his BMI will be nearly identical to Wes Welker's, so from a height/weight point of view Austin isn't all that bad imo.

Austin being 1st WR drafted shows how incredibly weak this class of WR's is. IMO
Yeah, I hate prospects that average over 7YPC, have 4.26 speed and quicks to go with it. ;)

As opposed to Blackmon, Floyd, Wright? The only one even in Austin's league is Blackmon talent-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin being 1st WR drafted shows how incredibly weak this class of WR's is. IMO
Yeah, I hate prospects that average over 7YPC, have 4.26 speed and quicks to go with it. ;)

As opposed to Blackmon, Floyd, Wright? The only one even in Austin's league is Blackmon talent-wise.
Interesting comparisons because for all this talk of a weak class, I think its better than even money that the top 3-4 Wrs from this class outperform the top 3-4 sophomores this year.

Interesting comparisons because for all this talk of a weak class, I think its better than even money that the top 3-4 Wrs from this class outperform the top 3-4 sophomores this year.
Blackmon is going to dominate Austin in FF scoring for the next few years.

If Austin is used much in the rushing game, and I'm talking like maybe 400 yards in a season, I doubt that very much.

I have a question. How many grossly undersized players have been successful at their positions? I'm talking like 280 lb lineman, or under 6' quarterbacks, or 190 lb running backs, or 5'8" 175 lb top-10 selection WRs.

I'm assuming very, very few. Sure, there's an occasional Wilson or Brees, but there have to be thousands at each of those positions over the last 50 years that didn't come close to making an impact on the pro game. I don't get what is so special about this kid that he's going to break the mold. DeSean is wicked fast and of a similar frame but he does little more run go routes all game and do punt returns. How is that worth a top-10 franchise-caliber-player selection? I don't get it.

Other than their size (although Austin is built shorter and thicker) and straight-line speed, what exactly are the similarities between Desean and Tavon? They have completely different games.

Moving up in the draft AND picking him in the top ten?......Yeah...he might be the wave of the future.....but with that high of an investment, I'm looking for a tried and true skillset/bodytype/player. There's no shame in passing on him and him blowing up....but if he fizzles; then they got a lot of egg on their faces.
Yes there is.
Why?...Because his supporters say he's the future of the game?.....

I wish the kid all the luck in the world. I hope he succeeds. But there's no way that the Chiefs, Jags, Dolphins, Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Browns,Cards and Bills are regretting the moves they made that didn't get them him. If the guy blows up for a couple of years....they aren't going to regret it. If the guys a HOFer......then yeah they probably will.

Moving up in the draft AND picking him in the top ten?......Yeah...he might be the wave of the future.....but with that high of an investment, I'm looking for a tried and true skillset/bodytype/player. There's no shame in passing on him and him blowing up....but if he fizzles; then they got a lot of egg on their faces.
Yes there is.
Why?...Because his supporters say he's the future of the game?.....

I wish the kid all the luck in the world. I hope he succeeds. But there's no way that the Chiefs, Jags, Dolphins, Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Browns,Cards and Bills are regretting the moves they made that didn't get them him. If the guy blows up for a couple of years....they aren't going to regret it. If the guys a HOFer......then yeah they probably will.
Who are nine teams that have not won a Super Bowl in the past 30 years, Alex?

LarryAllen said:

Isn't this a given for every single rookie, ever?

meyerj31 said:
I have a question. How many grossly undersized players have been successful at their positions? I'm talking like 280 lb lineman, or under 6' quarterbacks, or 190 lb running backs, or 5'8" 175 lb top-10 selection WRs.

I'm assuming very, very few. Sure, there's an occasional Wilson or Brees, but there have to be thousands at each of those positions over the last 50 years that didn't come close to making an impact on the pro game. I don't get what is so special about this kid that he's going to break the mold. DeSean is wicked fast and of a similar frame but he does little more run go routes all game and do punt returns. How is that worth a top-10 franchise-caliber-player selection? I don't get it.
Because he's a slot-receiver like Wes Welker that you can also line-up at Wide Receiver. Have you watched his highlights? He gobbles up yards in space and is very agile.

He's the kind of guy, similar to Harvin who manufactures yards on his own.

He can make those ridiculous players similar to Jahvid Best where takes a handoff breaks into the secondary and accelerates past defensive backs for a Touchdown.

Do you think he's as good as an athlete as Danny Amendola? Because Amendola's production was pretty decent in PPR and Tavon Austin is going to replace Amendola in this offense; which includes getting Austin the ball on short patterns, in space.

Some early comments I saw from others are worried about his size and getting manhandled from CB's. This is easily fixed if the St. Louis OC has anything to say about it. Line him up in the backfield, put him in motion to free him up. If he is quick off the line while in motion or in the backfield, he will get the ball without any problems.

WR1 upside, with potential to be top 5 through 8 depending on scoring method. That's his upside, and his floor is probably around WR3/flex material. Maybe he gets hurt, any player can get hurt. Thought we usually factored out injury potential in this type of discussion, other than to note the obvious which is his slight frame. Tavon represents the most broad fantasy appeal from the 2013 draft, because of his value in dynasty and redraft formats as well as PPR scoring.

meyerj31 said:

Because he's a slot-receiver like Wes Welker that you can also line-up at Wide Receiver. Have you watched his highlights? He gobbles up yards in space and is very agile.

He can make those ridiculous players similar to Jahvid Best where takes a handoff breaks into the secondary and accelerates past defensive backs for a Touchdown.

Do you think he's as good as an athlete as Danny Amendola? Because Amendola's production was pretty decent in PPR and Tavon Austin is going to replace Amendola in this offense; which includes getting Austin the ball on short patterns, in space.
How can you be certain that Austin's old/new teamate Stedman Bailey isn't the replacement for Amendola - he's more in the Amendola/slot mold. IMO, Bailey is a prototypical slot receiver with great hands and a solid route runner. While not as flashy as Austin, he is a play maker in his own right and was a solid redzone option for WVU too.

I think people are jumping to conclusions when they say that Austin takes over that role. Austin will be used everywhere IMO - return game, slot, out wide, RB, wildcat QB.. who knows. Automatically pegging him as Amendola's replacement seems like jumping the gun a bit here.

meyerj31 said:

How can you be certain that Austin's old/new teamate Stedman Bailey isn't the replacement for Amendola - he's more in the Amendola/slot mold. IMO, Bailey is a prototypical slot receiver with great hands and a solid route runner. While not as flashy as Austin, he is a play maker in his own right and was a solid redzone option for WVU too.

I think people are jumping to conclusions when they say that Austin takes over that role. Austin will be used everywhere IMO - return game, slot, out wide, RB, wildcat QB.. who knows. Automatically pegging him as Amendola's replacement seems like jumping the gun a bit here.
The Bears are what we thought they were. They're what we thought they were. We played them in preseason — who the hell takes a third game of the preseason like it's bull####? Bull####!

Yes there is.
Why?...Because his supporters say he's the future of the game?..... I wish the kid all the luck in the world. I hope he succeeds. But there's no way that the Chiefs, Jags, Dolphins, Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Browns,Cards and Bills are regretting the moves they made that didn't get them him. If the guy blows up for a couple of years....they aren't going to regret it. If the guys a HOFer......then yeah they probably will.
Who are nine teams that have not won a Super Bowl in the past 30 years, Alex?
What's that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Goodell says not so fast.

Whole lotta stink coming from people thinking Austin is anything less than stellar. This guy is going to light up the NFL in 2013. :CaptainObvious:

Whole lotta stink coming from people thinking Austin is anything less than stellar. This guy is going to light up the NFL in 2013. :CaptainObvious:
I starting to think a lot of us will look back at the end of the season and wonder how we didn't see it coming.

ConnSKINS26 said:
I starting to think a lot of us will look back at the end of the season and wonder how we didn't see it coming.
I can't tell if this thread is a giant level or if you guys are being serious.

Harvin ran the same 40 time, was crazy good in college, and has a bigger build to be able to absorb hits and run the ball well. He didn't exactly light up his rookie season. 60 for 800? And maybe one kickoff return? The hype machine is getting out of control here.

ConnSKINS26 said:
I can't tell if this thread is a giant level or if you guys are being serious. Harvin ran the same 40 time, was crazy good in college, and has a bigger build to be able to absorb hits and run the ball well. He didn't exactly light up his rookie season. 60 for 800? And maybe one kickoff return? The hype machine is getting out of control here.
He also had headache issues that hindered his season. Harvin is great but doesn't posses tavons open field moves. He also didn't much rb snaps due to Peterson. I can't see Richardson, pead keeping tavon off the field.You clearly are wait till they do it, at that point your too late.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it, but in case they haven't:

I know people are saying he's too small or there's been others like him. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never seen anyone with the kind of quicks and moves this guy has on the football field. I know the NFL defenders at the next level are bigger, faster, and stronger, but there's only so fast they can move.

And when you watch him play, he plays "smart" in that he doesn't take many hits, even if it means heading out of bounds or getting down. People used to knock Marvin Harrison for not wanting to take hits and always going down, but there's something to that. Austin isn't like some other small guys like Steve Smith or Welker who aren't afraid to take big hits. There's something to be said for that, but at his size, I think it's actually a good thing that Austin tries to avoid that contact. I'm not saying he's never going to get hit, but it's going to be few and far between and it's rarely going to be a straight on, solid hit.

I didn't like them moving up to get Austin, but have softened a bit. The whole not taking a hit is a big bonus to me. The guy can't go toe to toe with DB's and LB's. Play smart and be around for another year and another and another...

ConnSKINS26 said:
I can't tell if this thread is a giant level or if you guys are being serious.

Harvin ran the same 40 time, was crazy good in college, and has a bigger build to be able to absorb hits and run the ball well. He didn't exactly light up his rookie season. 60 for 800? And maybe one kickoff return? The hype machine is getting out of control here.
Tavon Austin ran a faster 40 than Percy Harvin or DeSean Jackson. Harvin is bigger and stronger, but not even close to Austin in terms of agility and how quick he is. Percy Harvin also took/takes more shots and straight up tackles than Austin.

They're similar only in the roles they'll be utilized in. Tavon Austin is part Desean Jackson in terms of speed, part CJ Spiller in terms of quickness. My hype for him grew from watching all of his cut ups from WVU. Not his highlights. I'd also say he's walking into a healthier organization that has a clear idea on what to do with Austin, where as Harvin walked into the Childress era of confusion and misuse.

If Dante Hall was a tad more agile, a step faster, and was drafted in the 1st round as a WR...
So in other words, if Dante Hall were a completely different player.
Not completely... but if the "Human Joystick" were a better football player, and a much better receiver, and slightly more talented. I just see extremely high possibilities for Tavon in a PPR league and off the charts in return yardage leagues.

If you think Austin has the best moves in this class, I suggest reading my article.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/04/the-elusiveness-factor-patterson-austin-woods-by-nick-whalen/

Austin rarely breaks tackles when defenders grab him and that's in college.

Sam Bradford isn't exactly a great QB situation and he's the QB for at least a good portion of his career.

I think people have FF confused with NFL. Austin will be lineup up all over the place, return kicks, some reverses, some catches, etc. But he could just as easily be a huge decoy, like Reggie Bush in New Orleans, and help the entire team out that way. He will be a big boost to that offense, it just might not be in the form of FF points.

I kind of agree with this, though I would point out Amendola did perfectly well in St. Louis, and I think Austin is significantly more talented than him. Also, I think Bradford is actually a decent situation - not perfect by any stretch, but good enough to excel.

Why is it that Austin automatically is pegged into the Amendola role? Stedman Bailey is a much more complete receiver and perfect for that role. Austin may see time in the slot but a bona fide slot receiver he is not.

Austin is more talented than Amendola, but I think Amendola is very overrated. He had two huge games last year(15/11 receptions each, both over 100 yards), then had only 1 other game at 7 or more receptions(7 actually) and only 1 other game at 70 yards or more(70 actually). That's very inconsistent production out of 11 games.

The more I look at the Rams situation, the more I want to avoid it. Brian Quick could emerge, Givens, Austin, Bailey, they gave a bunch of money to Jared Cook, Kendricks could get motivated, 3 young RBs, and an underwhelming QB.

Bradford had rookie season on par with some of the greats fo the game. Then he lost his OC, had no QB coach, got a new coaching staff entirely and on top of that, the best WR's he's thrown to is Amendola and Danario Alexander.

Stability in the offensive scheme, a QB coach, and some weapons could do wonders for a guy. Another guy in a similar boat was Alex Smith. After looking like a huge bust, he takes the team to within a drive of the SB two years ago.

Bradford had a 76.5 QB rating and 5.95 YPA, i'm sorry that's not good. Just because he threw the ball 590 times and some good things happened doesn't=great.

Every QB wants a better OL, better weapons, coaching, etc. But after awhile, they are what they are. At this point, I haven't seen anything that's shown me Bradford is even an average starting QB in the NFL, much less a good situation.

tdmills said:

You need to go compare those numbers to the guys that started at QB their rookie season like Peyton and Aikman. Guys thrown to the wolves as a rookie. He is right there with them. He lost his OC, never has had an Irvin or Harrison to throw to.

Stability and weapons under the new regime will prove you wrong...

I don't think comparing that long ago is fair. Lets look at recent rookie QBs, Bradford had 76.5 QB rating and 5.95 YPA.

Luck had the same QB rating(76.5), but averaged more than 1 YPA more than Bradford.

RGIII 102.4 QB rating and 8.14 YPA(over 2 yards better).

Cam Newton 84.5 rating and almost 2 YPA.

Ryan Tannehill 76.1 rating and almost 1 more YPA.

Brandon Weeden 72.6 rating and 6.55 YPA(.6 more than Bradford).

Russell Wilson 100 rating and almost 2 more YPA.

Andy Dalton 80 QB rating and .6 more YPA.

Christian Ponder 70.1 QB rating and 6.37 YPA(almost .5 more than Bradford).

None of those QBs had a worse YPA(meaning they threw downfield more/higher chance of INT) and he beat only beat Ponder/Weeden/Tannehill(don't think anyone is banging the dream for them having an ideal QB situation for a WR) in QB rating.

And how many of those guys had a worse supporting staff than Bradford? You're talking about guys throwing to Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, and AJ Green. Three of those guys are major running threats giving more one on one coverage to their WR's.

I don't think it's fair to make that comparison either.

We'll see what happens this season with another year in the system, another full offseason, a bolstered O line and weapons on offense. They added Jake Long, a nice interior lineman in the middle rounds, added the first WR off the board, a TE with a ton of potential, and another WR. It would seem that bashing this guy at this point is not a good idea. He has shown flashes and this year has everything in place to take that next step. The timing of the bashing this guy is going to come back with a bumpity bump during the season...

Please go back and read what I said

"Not a great situation" Great is top 5-8 in the NFL. Then I said Bradford hasn't shown me he's even an average(16th or better) QB at this point. In 2012 he was 18th in QB rating, 26th in YPA, 18th in TD, yards 15th. Average that out and it's a below average NFL starting QB, hence the point is Tavon Austin isn't jumping into a great QB situation.

Users who are viewing this thread