What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Aaron Hernandez (1 Viewer)

Is it really a given that Hernandez will benefit with Gronk out? He was putting up very good numbers when they were both healthy last year and in the couple of games this year. Defenses might now be able to focus more on him since Lloyd isn't exactly lighting it up and I haven't seen Welker being doubled as a slot WR. I just hope that his ankle is fine and he'll be be able to stay on the field, it will definitely be interesting to see how he performs with Gronk out.

Is it really a given that Hernandez will benefit with Gronk out? He was putting up very good numbers when they were both healthy last year and in the couple of games this year. Defenses might now be able to focus more on him since Lloyd isn't exactly lighting it up and I haven't seen Welker being doubled as a slot WR. I just hope that his ankle is fine and he'll be be able to stay on the field, it will definitely be interesting to see how he performs with Gronk out.
He's a matchup nightmare. If he's healthy, he'll be fine.

The loss of gronkowski does not mean hernandez goes off. He probably had a worse injury than ne let on. Reports were that he had a setback and cannot cut effectively yet. Gronkowski is a big dude who plows thru defensive backs. Hernandez is a tall ballerina who still cannot get on them tippy toes. Without the open field cutting ability hernandez is a bigger slower version of brandon lloyd. He can probably run slants and crossing patterns and still get red zone looks.

He's a matchup nightmare. If he's healthy, he'll be fine.
Key word.Hopefully those of us patient owners will see dividends from here on out.

8 for 115 & a td vs the Jets. Put it in the book.
More like Inactive at the last minute.
While I know it's been really frustrating with all the positive news of him practicing and then not playing, hopefully they kept him out this past week because of the upcoming short week. The fact that Gronk went down proves even more that it was a good decision to rest him another week. Hopefully he was playable last week but they were being cautious.

FWIW, I heard a Patriot's beat writer this morning on 98.5 and she indicated that Hernandez was ticked that he didn't get a chance to play against Indy yesterday but that was all part of the plan to be able to get him in the line-up on Thursdat vs. the Jets. That is, the held him out against Indy because of the short week (they play NYJ on Thursday) and felt that they had rushed him back earlier this year so wanted to be extra cautious about not doing so again. Sounded like he would have played against Indy if the following game was not gonna be 4 days later...so expectations are that he'll be good to go against NYJ

According to the Boston Globe, Aaron Hernandez (ankle) is expected to return on Thanksgiving night against the Jets.

Per reliable beat reporter Greg Bedard, the Patriots held Hernandez out of Sunday's win over the Colts only because the recovery time (soreness, swelling) likely would have been too short with a Thursday night game next on the slate. Hernandez has practiced in "limited" fashion the past two weeks, so he's appeared close to playing. On Thanksgiving, the Pats could use Michael Hoomanawanui or Daniel Fells at Rob Gronkowski's (broken forearm) "Y" tight end position. Visanthe Shiancoe is Hernandez's backup at the "F" tight end spot
Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5674/aaron-hernandez

While I know it's been really frustrating with all the positive news of him practicing and then not playing, hopefully they kept him out this past week because of the upcoming short week. The fact that Gronk went down proves even more that it was a good decision to rest him another week. Hopefully he was playable last week but they were being cautious.
I sure hope you are right.

left the door open just enough to eff fantasy owners over thanksgiving night
With it being the Patriots, I could imagine anything from Hernandez being a decoy and seeing 1 target to him being huge and seeing double digit targets.If Gronk was still there, I would probably play Myers over Hernandez for another week to play it safe. However with Gronk out, I think it is worth the risk to throw Hernandez in there without seeing him.You have to think Hernandez gets a few redzone looks and a decent number of targets.At least it is a Thursday game, so if he somehow becomes a surprise inactive we can make a move.

Last edited by a moderator:
CBS' Jason La Canfora confirms Aaron Hernandez (ankle) is expected to be active for New England's Thanksgiving tilt with the Jets, but reports he'll be in for a limited role.

Nov 20 - 9:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Aaron Hernandez (ankle) was limited in Tuesday's practice.

Hernandez has been limited for a couple of weeks, so his practice participation alone tells us nothing. The Boston Globe has reportedly that Hernandez is expected to play on Thanksgiving, and the tight end has been talking as if he will help fill the void created by Rob Gronkowski's injury. Fantasy owners aren't likely to have a firm answer until just before game time.

Nov 20 - 6:45 PM

Source: CSN New England

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5674/aaron-hernandez

It sounds like he's suiting up only because Gronk is OUT...

Well we have also heard that he was just held out last week because of the short recovery time between Sunday and Thanksgiving. I'm shocked that the Patriots are keeping secrets!Nobody will know until the game starts and we see him out there....I'm hoping someone is tweeting how he looks in pregames.

CBS' Jason La Canfora confirms Aaron Hernandez (ankle) is expected to be active for New England's Thanksgiving tilt with the Jets, but reports he'll be in for a limited role.

Nov 20 - 9:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Aaron Hernandez (ankle) was limited in Tuesday's practice.

Hernandez has been limited for a couple of weeks, so his practice participation alone tells us nothing. The Boston Globe has reportedly that Hernandez is expected to play on Thanksgiving, and the tight end has been talking as if he will help fill the void created by Rob Gronkowski's injury. Fantasy owners aren't likely to have a firm answer until just before game time.

Nov 20 - 6:45 PM

Source: CSN New England

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5674/aaron-hernandez

he's actually just speculating. like reporters always do.

Is anyone else nervous about AH for tonight? Reports are that he'll play but be limited. If you had other options like a Keller, Olsen or someone like that do you sit AH. Seems like those guys would be on the field for most of the offensive snaps but Hernandez only playing in certain packages. Over-thinking it here?

Is anyone else nervous about AH for tonight? Reports are that he'll play but be limited. If you had other options like a Keller, Olsen or someone like that do you sit AH. Seems like those guys would be on the field for most of the offensive snaps but Hernandez only playing in certain packages. Over-thinking it here?
yes

Couldn't afford the late scratch or "limited" tag, so went with pettigrew over him. Playing safe and so far I'm ok with it

Well ####. Oh well. Hopefully weeks to come are better but 49 pts scored and AHern gets only 39 yards? Disconcerting.

He got a decent number of looks, though, and a TD negated by a ticky tack push off call on him. For the first game back after injury it wasn't too discouraging.

-QG

If it weren't for him unnecessarily pushing off, hernandez would have had a TD. Plus, the two defensive TDs kind of skews the perspective. I was also encouraged by the number of targets and that he was in there blocking with seemingly no limitation. I am hoping that the leg holds up well AFTER the game and there is no swelling that will keep him out going forward. Hopefully, stashing him this long will pay dividends in the weeks to come....

Well ####. Oh well. Hopefully weeks to come are better but 49 pts scored and AHern gets only 39 yards? Disconcerting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping that the leg holds up well AFTER the game and there is no swelling that will keep him out going forward
he does have 10 days to recover this time....if the Pats games had been on Sunday I think I would have started him, but as it was couldn't take the chance, went with D.Clark.

He got a decent number of looks, though, and a TD negated by a ticky tack push off call on him. For the first game back after injury it wasn't too discouraging.

-QG
I am showing him with 3 targets, the 4th on the TD was negated by the penalty. Either way, 3 or 4 targets is not a large amount.

-QG
I am showing him with 3 targets, the 4th on the TD was negated by the penalty. Either way, 3 or 4 targets is not a large amount.
While the game still mattered, he was in there.....a lot. That first catch for 28 yards told me all I need to know. He can cut and move. Made lot's of jukes on that run. Edelman is seeing canary's and Gronk is out. If the games remain competitive I feel very good about his scoring potential.Your right on the number of targets, but they didn't pass near as much as normal probably due to the very unusual second quarter. Being up 35 points tends to do that. Brady has averaged 42 passes per game prior to this game, but only had 28 last night.

Sure, I would have loved to see more from him last night but all things considered I'm ecstatic about the FFL playoff push for Hernandez. Looks healthy, team is scoring sick points, Gronk out, Edelman questionable. Everything is pointing to a strong playoff push for him.

'flranger said:
'Wadsworth said:
'QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
While the game still mattered, he was in there.....a lot. That first catch for 28 yards told me all I need to know. He can cut and move. Made lot's of jukes on that run. Edelman is seeing canary's and Gronk is out. If the games remain competitive I feel very good about his scoring potential.Your right on the number of targets, but they didn't pass near as much as normal probably due to the very unusual second quarter. Being up 35 points tends to do that. Brady has averaged 42 passes per game prior to this game, but only had 28 last night.

Sure, I would have loved to see more from him last night but all things considered I'm ecstatic about the FFL playoff push for Hernandez. Looks healthy, team is scoring sick points, Gronk out, Edelman questionable. Everything is pointing to a strong playoff push for him.
I agree with your take, I just did not think that the number of targets was support for that position.

The Jets are what screwed us last night. If they looked anything like a professional football team out there, the NE offense likely would have been operating as "normal" and we would have seen more chances for Hernandez. Instead they were up a million points and the game was effectively over.

That said, the ticky tack push off call on the TD was really, really annoying...

Time to start talking about Hernandez in week 13.

Finally, we get to see this guy play with a shot to win some fantasy titles. Hernandez will face a Dolphins defense ranked 27th against the pass this season and is permitting 266.3 yards per game through the air.

I will hope for 5 catches for 65 yards and a TD vs. Miami.

Time to start talking about Hernandez in week 13. Finally, we get to see this guy play with a shot to win some fantasy titles. Hernandez will face a Dolphins defense ranked 27th against the pass this season and is permitting 266.3 yards per game through the air. I will hope for 5 catches for 65 yards and a TD vs. Miami.
:popcorn:Really, really hoping for a coming out party in week 13. :popcorn:Looking forward to hearing the practice reports this week.

Time to start talking about Hernandez in week 13. Finally, we get to see this guy play with a shot to win some fantasy titles. Hernandez will face a Dolphins defense ranked 27th against the pass this season and is permitting 266.3 yards per game through the air. I will hope for 5 catches for 65 yards and a TD vs. Miami.
:popcorn:Really, really hoping for a coming out party in week 13. :popcorn:Looking forward to hearing the practice reports this week.
I don't think that NE is going to run the ball very well at Miami. I was impressed at Miami being able to really limit Marshawn Lynch yesterday. I think they can throw all day on the Dolphins, and at least three different receivers will finish with 90 yards and a TD.

I believe 7/87/2 is a realistic stat line for him if Edelman remains out. Nothing spectacular but enough to be involved, pick up a few small yardage plays, and maybe catch a short and mid-range TD. Two TDs sounds like a bold prediction I guess but the Pats are going to score 3-4 TDs most weeks and I don't think they will beat their head into a wall by running at the teeth of the Dolphins' defense so I'm guessing Aaron or Wes get a pair.

I believe 7/87/2 is a realistic stat line for him if Edelman remains out. Nothing spectacular but enough to be involved, pick up a few small yardage plays, and maybe catch a short and mid-range TD. Two TDs sounds like a bold prediction I guess but the Pats are going to score 3-4 TDs most weeks and I don't think they will beat their head into a wall by running at the teeth of the Dolphins' defense so I'm guessing Aaron or Wes get a pair.
New England's almost always good at attacking the weakness of the defense week to week. Chalk Brady up for 350 yards and three TDs in week 13.

I don't think that NE is going to run the ball very well at Miami. I was impressed at Miami being able to really limit Marshawn Lynch yesterday. I think they can throw all day on the Dolphins, and at least three different receivers will finish with 90 yards and a TD.
This is what I'm thinking too. Was really impressed with the Miami run defense as well. I think NE will be forced to throw (and will game plan to throw). Expecting/hoping for a big week...

Dividends starting to come in for those who have been waiting on this guy. 13 targets today. 8 catches for 97 yards. Just in time.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread