What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mike Gesicki, CIN (1 Viewer)

not ideal
There were better landing spots, but at least in ppr formats, it could be worse. There are a lot of vacated targets available. I don't think Juju can soak those all up. Plus, we get the joy of doing this all over again next year.

If he gets consistent looks in a lesser offense, might increase his target numbers. Is it that great to be in a high flying offense, if you never get to fly?

He had three games with six or more targets, two of them in last two games of the season. He wasn't being used--all year long.

Patriots just lost their best WR, and I don't see a decent replacement within easy reach. Gesicki might get a year or two of big fish in small pond stats.

not ideal
There were better landing spots, but at least in ppr formats, it could be worse. There are a lot of vacated targets available. I don't think Juju can soak those all up. Plus, we get the joy of doing this all over again next year.
Fighting Juju instead of Hill/Waddle for targets.👍
He should get the ball more than in Miami. Hunter Henry will be doing who knows what.

1 year- $9 mill.

That's not super cheap, but it's not a long term investment, either.

Those one and done deals for the Pats are worth looking at, because maybe he gets fed targets for a year, while they are weak at WR, and it cranks up his value a bit. He moves on after the year, getting a better deal, and that's how you get comp picks.

1 year- $9 mill.

Those one and done deals for the Pats are worth looking at, because maybe he gets fed targets for a year, while they are weak at WR, and it cranks up his value a bit. He moves on after the year, getting a better deal, and that's how you get comp picks.
Can I dream that this is only a short stop until Kelce retires?

We have a bylaw in our league that each owner must spend a minimum of one hour a month daydreaming about what would happen if every single player they owned was on the Chiefs.

Owners are not required to send bro can you imagine if Player x was on the Chiefs? That would be sick text messages to everyone in the league, but that IS encouraged.

1 year- $9 mill.

What will Miami receive for him?
He played 5 years, 1 under the franchise tag and then signs with the Patriots
He was a Top 40 pick, Higher 2nd Rd

Patriots just lost their best WR, and I don't see a decent replacement within easy reach
JuJu Smith-Shuster is just as good as Meyers.
Let's hope not

:lmao:

Watched it live, never laughed that hard watching an NFL game

Good job Miami
Only good thing is the Patriots are not great at throwing the football
Good luck vs Miami's revamped Defense and Fangio running things
I cannot wait for Rodgers to sign with the Jets, and we get to watch the fans of two different AFC East teams that ain't done **** in 40 years walking around, telling smack.

Not mocking, I am here for it, should be the most fun division to watch this year.

1 year- $9 mill.

None of that matters. After any season, they look at who a team signed, who they lost, and what the average salary was of those players. It's a "secret" formula, but basically, if the Dolphins sign a guy for 9 mill/year, that will essentially cancel out Gesicki. They wouldn't expect a pick. Also, players who are cap cuts aren't entered into the formula.

If the Dolphins sign zero free agents, they would probably get a 4th for losing Gesicki, 5th at worst.

Prefect example was Revis. Patriots signed him to a one year deal, after the Bucs cut him. They got him for short money, one season, then got a comp pick when he signed monster deal somewhere else

JuJu Smith-Shuster is just as good as Meyers.
Maybe, I really don't know. But if Meyers was still there, we would know, for sure, that Meyers was getting his 100+ targets. Gesicki would have to find his targets elsewhere.

Now he's competing with another free agent, not an established Patriot performer. Sometimes free agents turn into Jonnu Smith.

Just to say, I would rather Gesicki be competing with Juju on his third team, than Meyers on his original team. Seems like a better chance of carving out a bigger role.

Maybe, I really don't know. But if Meyers was still there, we would know, for sure, that Meyers was getting his 100+ targets. Gesicki would have to find his targets elsewhere.
You said, "Patriots just lost their best WR, and I don't see a decent replacement within easy reach."

I simply replied to that. How targets get split up we do not know of course.

Patriots are reuniting that great 2019 Miami passing offense with Parker and Gesicki. Now they just need Fitzmagic.

But seriously, Gesicki is an upgrade from Jonnu or Henry, and probably should see 60+ catches, assuming he sees a good share of slot work.

Potentially a 3rd round pick. It depends on a formula of gains and losses. Players who are cut, like Berrios, don't count against Miami. David Long and LeShon Elliot could count on the gain side.

Gesicki and Parker had some of worst separation metrics when they were both with Miami in 2020 and 2021. Like bottom 5%. But both have size and Gesicki can jump. Gesicki might reach his peak in Miami of 700-800 yards, probably not.

1 year- $9 mill.

None of that matters. After any season, they look at who a team signed, who they lost, and what the average salary was of those players. It's a "secret" formula, but basically, if the Dolphins sign a guy for 9 mill/year, that will essentially cancel out Gesicki. They wouldn't expect a pick. Also, players who are cap cuts aren't entered into the formula.

If the Dolphins sign zero free agents, they would probably get a 4th for losing Gesicki, 5th at worst.

Prefect example was Revis. Patriots signed him to a one year deal, after the Bucs cut him. They got him for short money, one season, then got a comp pick when he signed monster deal somewhere else
Over the Cap has contracts at $9M assessed at the 5th round level for next year.

It’s also a contract worth UP TO $9M, which means there are incentives involved. Will have to see what the details are. Could be a lot less than $9M.

Good job Miami
Only good thing is the Patriots are not great at throwing the football
Good luck vs Miami's revamped Defense and Fangio running things
I cannot wait for Rodgers to sign with the Jets, and we get to watch the fans of two different AFC East teams that ain't done **** in 40 years walking around, telling smack.

Not mocking, I am here for it, should be the most fun division to watch this year.
You have Jets, Bills and Pats fans, can't speak for all Miami fans but I will share a story

-'91 home game vs the NY Jets (17 yrs old), I managed to get 2 tickets on the upper deck 45-50 yd line, took my father to the game God rest his soul, and we were sandwiched in between Jets fans. i actually made friends with most of them even as we won the game. They were as kind and complimentary of Dan Marino and it always had me put Jets fans in a slightly different light than the Bills and Pats. Maybe being a Miami born native and growing up around a lot of folks from New York but I get along well with most of that fan base, not always in here but in RL I meet a lot of nice Jets fans. Guy i spearhead a 12-man tennis group on Sat Morning is a huge Jets fan and we want to get tickets for whenever those 2 square off at Hard Rock

1 year- $9 mill.

lol I'm hunting Kelce-successors in deep dynasty, and Gesicki is someone on my consideration list. Even been holding Fortson in a couple very deep leagues.

I don't see how this isn't a value bump. Gesicki is ranked at TE 21 on KTC. I think this puts him in the fringe TE 1 range.
Or they use him as a blocker while Henry has a good year.

Or they split receiving duties in a middling passing offense and both become weekly dart throws at an already dart throwy position.

I’d give all 3 of these outcomes about equal chance. Never know with Hoodie.

I don't see how this isn't a value bump. Gesicki is ranked at TE 21 on KTC. I think this puts him in the fringe TE 1 range.
Or they use him as a blocker while Henry has a good year.

Or they split receiving duties in a middling passing offense and both become weekly dart throws at an already dart throwy position.

I’d give all 3 of these outcomes about equal chance. Never know with Hoodie.
I'd take away option 2 as one thing he can't do is block. So that leaves weekly dart throw and low end starter as his range of outcomes. I stand my premise that JuJu will not command the targets that Meyers received and there will be a bump in TE looks.

It’s also a contract worth UP TO $9M, which means there are incentives involved. Will have to see what the details are. Could be a lot less than $9M.
A lot less.

$3.5 guaranteed of which $2.4M is bonus and $1.15 is salary.

Picks up $50k every game he plays for another $850k max.

Can pick up another $4.5M with playtime, catch, receiving yards and TD incentives. I do not know what those incentives are at this time.

Looking at Schultz still unsigned, a guy like Irv Smith who frankly I forgot was even a FA, and this fairly paltry contract sure makes me think the market for the pass catching TE is soft. Unless Jonnu took a pay cut he had a lot more pay dude then this and Josh Oliver got a better contract. Rams wanted Hunter Long as part of Ramsey trade. Seems blocking TE's are more in demand right now.

And I like Evan Engram but that guy ought to thank his lucky stars he got tagged. Not to get off subject but maybe Tony Pollard and Jacobs as well when the best RB contract anyone got was Miles and it was really 2 year for $13m. Come to think of it the entire RB, WR and pass catching TE market was dry as could be.

A lot less.

$3.5 guaranteed of which $2.4M is bonus and $1.15 is salary.

Picks up $50k every game he plays for another $850k max.

Can pick up another $4.5M with playtime, catch, receiving yards and TD incentives. I do not know what those incentives are at this time.

Looking at Schultz still unsigned, a guy like Irv Smith who frankly I forgot was even a FA, and this fairly paltry contract sure makes me think the market for the pass catching TE is soft. Unless Jonnu took a pay cut he had a lot more pay dude then this and Josh Oliver got a better contract. Rams wanted Hunter Long as part of Ramsey trade. Seems blocking TE's are more in demand right now.

And I like Evan Engram but that guy ought to thank his lucky stars he got tagged. Not to get off subject but maybe Tony Pollard and Jacobs as well when the best RB contract anyone got was Miles and it was really 2 year for $13m. Come to think of it the entire RB, WR and pass catching TE market was dry as could be.
That contract says ‘don’t count on me this year, fellas’

I like this move for the Pats...they need to get more athletic and Henry was the only legit TE on their roster...much smarter contract than that debacle they gave Jonnu...Gesicki was a disappointment last year and you hate to call a guy this far into his career an unknown but he is at a point where you need to see what a change of scenery does for him before you write the book on him...if the Pats can also add Hopkins or a first round WR they will actually have the potential to have a quality offense this year (line still needs work as well)...and at the very least figure out whether Mac is your QB of the future of not.

Last edited:
Looking at Schultz still unsigned, a guy like Irv Smith who frankly I forgot was even a FA, and this fairly paltry contract sure makes me think the market for the pass catching TE is soft.
It’s a deep draft class at the position.

That said, IMO Schultz goes to Cowboys or Chargers. Chargers just cleared a bunch of cap space & their OC obviously loves him. Gives Herbert a reliable short-middle target, makes all the sense in the world.

Irv Smith was hyped up but he’s never delivered - he’s more physically gifted than Schultz but can’t stay healthy. He had that 5 TDs in 13 game season, but hadn’t built on it. Shultz has missed 6 games in his 3 seasons as a starter. Super reliable.

But overall I agree - the pass catching TE market is a bit soft. Again, probably because of this crazy deep TE draft class.

I had high hopes for a better landing spot. I'm trying to feel good about this but can't get there. Change of scenery and I think Bill understands he should be used as a receiver plus 2 revenge games this year.

But to me this feels like Bill just wants to mindprobe him for any and all Miami offensive info and then use him here and there until the year is over. It's gross. I know that sounds silly (and it is) but these coaches cover their mouths when they call plays. Presumably because someone is actually out there reading their lips and trying to leverage whatever info they might gain from it. I don't think these guys are above signing a player from a rival for no other reason than to interrogate them.

I had high hopes for a better landing spot. I'm trying to feel good about this but can't get there. Change of scenery and I think Bill understands he should be used as a receiver plus 2 revenge games this year.

But to me this feels like Bill just wants to mindprobe him for any and all Miami offensive info and then use him here and there until the year is over. It's gross. I know that sounds silly (and it is) but these coaches cover their mouths when they call plays. Presumably because someone is actually out there reading their lips and trying to leverage whatever info they might gain from it. I don't think these guys are above signing a player from a rival for no other reason than to interrogate them.
happens all the time.

during the regular season.

The book on him in college was more athlete than TE, he had upside, but didn't turn into Waller or Kelce.

Better off with one of these rookies coming out.

The book on him in college was more athlete than TE, he had upside, but didn't turn into Waller or Kelce.

In theory I see this but the Pats have a lot of holes and this gives them more draft flexibility and the reality is that this is a 1-year deal and Henry is on the last year of his deal so if they like a TE this will not stop them from drafting one.

happens all the time.

Agreed...that is a move you do when you grab someone from a practice squad during the season...not a potential 9 million contract signed in March.

In theory I see this but the Pats have a lot of holes and this gives them more draft flexibility and the reality is that this is a 1-year deal and Henry is on the last year of his deal so if they like a TE this will not stop them from drafting one.
Sorry, I mean fantasy.
Meaning I think the Gesicki story has been told, he's a JAG.

Fine for the Pats at that price for actual football.

Sorry, I mean fantasy.

Sorry, I mean fantasy.

I would not be in any rush to get him in fantasy...while the Pats weapons are nothing special (outside of Stevenson) it does look like they are building things to spread the ball around and by all accounts they should have one more move in them and hopefully that is to get an alpha.

NFL wise, it’s a $3.5M contract with a ton of incentives. That’s 1/3 the cost of Jonnu, and MG should be able to do better than 250 YFS and 0 TD that Smith produced last year. One would think that they will also draft a TE at some point in the draft.

NFL wise, it’s a $3.5M contract with a ton of incentives. That’s 1/3 the cost of Jonnu, and MG should be able to do better than 250 YFS and 0 TD that Smith produced last year. One would think that they will also draft a TE at some point in the draft.

Less penalties per dollar as well...

The TEs from 2018:
1.25: Hurst
2.10, 17: Gesicki, Goedert
3.22, 35: Andrews, Akins
4th: Thomas, Herndon, Dissly, Smythe, Schultz

Gesicki was worst blocker coming out and might still be. Straight-line speed and vertical were the best. His separation metrics have been poor. Maybe NE can scheme him open more than Miami did.

happens all the time.

Agreed...that is a move you do when you grab someone from a practice squad during the season...not a potential 9 million contract signed in March.
I was mostly kidding but I'm not sure what the regular season has to do with it since I'm sure they would love any and all info whenever they can get it. I also think $9 million is nothing if you get actual actionable intel that can be leveraged. Miami coaching staff hasn't changed and will likely run similar concepts to last year.

Aside from the "let's sign and interrogate this guy" stance there is the flip side which is players often volunteer whatever info they have when they get signed. I remember some FA signing for the Bears on the DL a few years back and as soon as he got into town he was like "hey we were stealing your signals last year and had your snap count down" because the player was from a rival.

Of course they're not going to sign someone for $9million just to mindprobe them - they need to be able to bring more than that to the field obviously. Gesicki can at least catch. Oh wait.

happens all the time.

I was mostly kidding but I'm not sure what the regular season has to do with it since I'm sure they would love any and all info whenever they can get it. I also think $9 million is nothing if you get actual actionable intel that can be leveraged. Miami coaching staff hasn't changed and will likely run similar concepts to last year.

Aside from the "let's sign and interrogate this guy" stance there is the flip side which is players often volunteer whatever info they have when they get signed. I remember some FA signing for the Bears on the DL a few years back and as soon as he got into town he was like "hey we were stealing your signals last year and had your snap count down" because the player was from a rival.

Of course they're not going to sign someone for $9million just to mindprobe them - they need to be able to bring more than that to the field obviously. Gesicki can at least catch. Oh wait.

I know BB likes his players to be very diverse in their skill set but I am pretty sure they are not making free agent signings based on their scouting acumen as well.

happens all the time.

I know BB likes his players to be very diverse in their skill set but I am pretty sure they are not making free agent signings based on their scouting acumen as well.
nobody said scouting acumen - that's a totally different thing that wasn't part of this

Users who are viewing this thread