What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE - SD - Antonio Gates - ACTIVE (1 Viewer)

Andy Hicks

Footballguy
If you hear about the status of Antonio Gates, please post only news in here.

Lineup decisions and conjecture, please go to the Assistant Coach forum and an unpinned thread respectively

Last edited by a moderator:
identikit said:
Tiger Fan said:
Do they typically announce the status of players in the late games before the early games begin?
Not typically. Usually 90 minutes before kickoff of player's game.
Per twitter yesterday, Laconfora expects him to play

shadyridr said:
PizzaDeliveryGuy said:
Adam_Schefter Adam SchefterTE Antonio Gates' toe, the same toe he once had surgery on, is bothering him. Knows he shouldn't play, but still will try. Very iffy.
Didnt they say it wasnt the same toe?
From what I saw earlier in the week, I believe on fanball, it was his opposite foo in which he hurt he toe opposed to the foot/toe he had surgery on before.

vandyt said:
MarshallRob said:
BUTTER said:
southeastjerome said:
MarshallRob said:
John Clayton just said it was unlikely Gates would play.
Where? I have ESPN countdown on and I did not hear this.
I looked on twitter and nothing?
He said it on the ESPN2 Sportscenter shortly before FF Now started.
Can anyone else confirm this? Not doubting the OP, but its weird that no other news source has picked up on this.
There was some chatter I had also seen earlier in the week that they expect Gates to play since the Bolts are going to be without Floyd and Naanee today.

Tango said:
All signs point to him being active (Laconfora, Shefter, Gates himself). Case closed. The real question is how many snaps Gates gets. Will this be a "Rice situation" from a few weeks ago where he'll be active but the backup will get the start and most of the snaps. That will be the news that matters. We need to find that out somehow this morning.
Of all of the "experts" Schefter is by far the most pessimistic indicating that he is going to "try to play". He just said the same thing he did on Twitter on ESPN tv.

Fantaholic said:
Tango said:
All signs point to him being active (Laconfora, Shefter, Gates himself). Case closed. The real question is how many snaps Gates gets. Will this be a "Rice situation" from a few weeks ago where he'll be active but the backup will get the start and most of the snaps. That will be the news that matters. We need to find that out somehow this morning.
Of all of the "experts" Schefter is by far the most pessimistic indicating that he is going to "try to play". He just said the same thing he did on Twitter on ESPN tv.
I was sort of half listening at the time, but I believe he said the injury is the same one that hindered him last season. I thought the early reports this week were that it was an unrelated injury. If it's the same, that sucks!
I find Schefter to be the guy with the most to prove among Laconfora/Glazer/Mort, etc. and therefore he tends to be sensationalist. His comments re Gates this morning, namely 1. the location of the injury and 2. his overall pessimism on Gates ability to play well, have had no direct attriubtions to Gates or anyone else. Therefore, Im not too confident about his thoughts this morning.

Blutarsky said:
I have Gates in two big money leagues and my approach this weak is to sit him. Even if he plays he is not 100%, and I doubt he is even 70%. Those starting Gates this week are gambling that he is going to produce at, or near the same level he has in the first 5 weeks. I think it is a bad prop. If he goes off I will be very pleased for his near future but I do not want to risk getting a zero at his spot
Not sure I understand this. Right now, hes about 50% more productive than every other TE, and likely 100% more productive than anything on a typical FF waiver wire. Why would you have to gamble on him being his normal self, to start him over, say Ben Watson or Bo Scaife?

ESPN FFN. says they think he will try to play. Game time decision.

And it is the same toe he had surgery on.

I'm benching him in both my leagues. since i dont have any other 4pm TEs to wait around to see if hes starting.

Clayton was real wishy-washy, if that is a term we can use, on ESPN Radio. He said he didn't think he would push it, BUT they are without guys so you don't really know...

That is how I heard it anyway.

The News

Antonio Gates (toe) is active for New England's Week 7 tilt with the Patriots.

Our View

As was expected. However, after sitting out of practice all week, Gates cannot be expected to have his usual monster game in Week 7, especially with Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee both out, freeing up Pats defenders to blanket San Diego's elite tight end.

Gates to play

BY KEVIN ACEE

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2010 AT 11:59 A.M.

Antonio Gates will at least give Philip Rivers his favorite target to work with today against the New England Patriots. How healthy (effective) Gates will be isn't known, but he looked good in pregame warmups, testing his injured left toe extensively.

Gates injured his toe in the first quarter last week at St. Louis. He did not practice all week.

The two previous times Gates has played in a game without practicing, he wasn't very effective. This injury does not appear to be as severe as the toe injury that bothered him during the 2007 postseason.

Rivers is short on receivers. The Chargers will be without Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee today. Floyd is second on the team with 24 receptions (behind Gates' 31) and leads the Chargers with 513 yards.

Also inactive are kicker Nate Kaeding, linebackers Larry English and Cyril Obiozor, nose tackle Cam Thomas, offensive tackle Adam Terry and safety Darrell Stuckey.

Naanee is listed as the third quarterback. The Chargers released quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan this week to make room for kicker Kris Brown.

If there is a surprise today, it is that defensive end Vaughn Martin is active for the first time this season. Thomas had been active the past two weeks but struggled last week. The Chargers will give Martin a chance to show what he's learned.

This hurts badly...he was giving us Gates owners a major advantage. Big reason why I am 5-1. If he doesn't heal up we all could be in big trouble.

it just seems stupid to not throw to him. if you are goin to have him running all over the field at least throw it to him. just as good a chance a hurting yourself either way.

wish he was inactive
:hot:After benching Calvin last week in one of my leagues, I told myself that if my stud is active, he's starting... :no:
What was your other option though? The other late game TEs who might have been available really aren't doing much either. I started Gates over Carlson and that hasn't cost me much so far. I guess him not being active would be better though so he could rest. I still would not be shocked if he caught a TD.

Gates is a man. Admirable performance with an injury despite the dropped TD pass. Glad I didn't get too cute and bench him for someone else. If Gates suits up, you have to play him.

Gates is a man. Admirable performance with an injury despite the dropped TD pass. Glad I didn't get too cute and bench him for someone else. If Gates suits up, you have to play him.
I had BMW in there for him but when I saw he was active I went with Gates. Cost me about 10 points, but I gotta agree with you you have to ride him always.

I find Schefter to be the guy with the most to prove among Laconfora/Glazer/Mort, etc. and therefore he tends to be sensationalist. His comments re Gates this morning, namely 1. the location of the injury and 2. his overall pessimism on Gates ability to play well, have had no direct attriubtions to Gates or anyone else. Therefore, Im not too confident about his thoughts this morning.
Hopefully Schefter didnt scare too many people off. I went with Gates. I could have used that 2nd TD big-time; it will likely cost me the win this week, but I cant regret starting him.

Users who are viewing this thread