What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

teams that are done (1 Viewer)

jb1020

Footballguy
what do you think about it? obviously 4 teams in the playoffs now, 6 teams are done. why would a team thats done want to make wire pickups other than to be an ###. does that happen in your league? is there anything that can be done.

and let me state his pick ups by no means affected my team, i just think its a really low class thing to do.

no dynasty, i guess i should have made that clear. no side bets either. you get absolutely nothing for finishing 5th

no dynasty, i guess i should have made that clear. no side bets either. you get absolutely nothing for finishing 5th
If you get nothing for winning-- no money, no nothing-- waivers should be turned off. You should consider giving owners a reason to care the last couple of weeks. But in your system there's no reason for it.

I think its great. It shows you have owners that stay involved even when they are not playing for any prize. I would quit complaining and appreciate that you have owners that continue to participate.

Sounds like sour grapes from you right now.

im pretty sure i stated no sour grapes here, just curious as to why owners would want to "be involved" when their season is over.

I think its great. It shows you have owners that stay involved even when they are not playing for any prize. I would quit complaining and appreciate that you have owners that continue to participate.Sounds like sour grapes from you right now.
even if other teams are done?...meaning not playing any more games? Waivers should be locked for those out of the play-offs once play-offs start..I'm not talking while the regular season is still going on.

in a redraft league there really is no point in allowing them since the team in question has already been eliminated and has nothing to play for and there is no team to improve since that team is officially done forever

some additional reasons to disallow it include:

* good players who shouldn't be cut might enter the waiver pool

* the owner making the pickup could be playing "waiver wire" defense to help out another team still playing (i.e. possible collusion)

jb1020 said:
what do you think about it? obviously 4 teams in the playoffs now, 6 teams are done. why would a team thats done want to make wire pickups other than to be an ###. does that happen in your league? is there anything that can be done.and let me state his pick ups by no means affected my team, i just think its a really low class thing to do.
My redraft gives first pick next season to consolation playoff winner. They have the same rights to waivers / FA as those still playing for the championship. Our idea for giving them something to play for after being out for a few weeks now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its great. It shows you have owners that stay involved even when they are not playing for any prize. I would quit complaining and appreciate that you have owners that continue to participate.Sounds like sour grapes from you right now.
even if other teams are done?...meaning not playing any more games? Waivers should be locked for those out of the play-offs once play-offs start..I'm not talking while the regular season is still going on.
neither is he ... he is just saying that he's nothing wrong with trying to screw over a playoff team by stealing their potential free agent pickup

im pretty sure i stated no sour grapes here, just curious as to why owners would want to "be involved" when their season is over.
Maybe some owners know their seasons are over but would still like to have some enjoyment in the final weeks so they grab players of the WW they think will do well.

I have done it for two reasons. Either I was still in the hunt for the points total prize. Or just plain denial and separation anxiety/issues. Many of us obsess over this for months....it's hard to just turn it off after you take a disappointing loss. I can't say that it's right if you're not going for points and probably should be turned off by the commissioner, but I admit I have done it just because I didn't want to stop playing the game. :lmao:

If I've got NOTHING left to play for, I like to make a mega-star team out of all the great players that wound up on IR or got suspended for the year or whatever.

So when your post said he was done, it wasn't accurate and instead he's not done and has a game to decide 5th/6th place?I'd rather have in my league the owner who cares enough to try to win his consolation game, than I would someone who thinks he should throw in the towel when he still has games left.Pretty simple solution. If you want teams to stop being active the moment they are out of playoff contention, then don't schedule more games for them. If you do schedule games for him, he should be able to pick up players from waivers the same as anyone else

i run a dynasty league. a guy who is out of the playoffs this week pick up foster of the WW, I have gore. He is in his right to do so since it is a dynasty league but I was playing a buddy of his and he did it to screw me. I told him it was a BS move.

Is pride still out of the question? Sometimes people may not be in the money but in the consolation bracket you still have the desire to win. In groups of friends there will still be bragging rights on the line. Teams making the playoffs in our leagues tend to do so because they have solid depth throughout the season and usually players who are WW fodder at this stage of the game will not make/break those teams.

i run a dynasty league. a guy who is out of the playoffs this week pick up foster of the WW, I have gore. He is in his right to do so since it is a dynasty league but I was playing a buddy of his and he did it to screw me. I told him it was a BS move.
:yucky: Maybe you should have rosted Foster....

Either ALL of the teams in the league can pick up players or NONE of the teams can - fix your rules and eliminate the problems

:wolf: Maybe you should have rosted Foster....
no doubt. but this guy had foster and dropped him at one time. clearly a move for his buddy

You need help.

$5 per transaction solves this.
Or a rule saying once your season is done you can't pick any players up off waivers. I don't have a problem with owners picking up players if their season is done, if there is no rule prohibiting them from doing so. It is their team so they can do what they want.

Ahhh the waiver wire C-Block...ain't it beautiful. Got blocked by some toolbag who is out of it this week. I'm probably playing his buddy this week. Either way its pretty ####.

Maybe some owners know their seasons are over but would still like to have some enjoyment in the final weeks so they grab players of the WW they think will do well.
yea its really not hard to figure out. I got the boot from the playoffs last week in one league and the commish still sets games for us losers, I am playing my buddy and I want to kick his ### this week, I picked up rhodes to do so, I could care less that someone dropped him a couple weeks ago and some playoff team didnt grab him :unsure:

I agree it's somewhat unethical if there is nothing left to play for. Many leagues I'm in have a total pts prize through 16 wks so anyone should feel free to make whatever moves they want in wk15 and 16 even if they are 200+ pts out of the points race.

Freezing rosters the end of wk13 or 14 solves this problem but also can bite you in the xxx if too many injuries add up.

If it's not set in the rules theres nothing to complain about. Personally I wouldn't prevent teams from making pick ups. If you are "in" the playoffs and you let some guy not "in" be more up on the waivers than you are, you're sleeping and deserve to lose your guy. Its the playoffs man! You better be the first one on top of things!

That being said, our league has consolation brackets up the wazoo so everyone stays involved to the last day. Battle of the toilet is usually the most fun to follow, loser drinks a 40.

jb1020 said:
what do you think about it? obviously 4 teams in the playoffs now, 6 teams are done. why would a team thats done want to make wire pickups other than to be an ###. does that happen in your league? is there anything that can be done.and let me state his pick ups by no means affected my team, i just think its a really low class thing to do.
We charge a buck per transaction with proceeds going to the champion. So if consolation teams still want to make waiver moves they are giving money away.The only thing we prohibit is adds/drops that explicitly appear to be used to circumvent the trade deadline. So someonedropping Drew Brees to pick up Brad Johnson would not be allowed....commisioner's/rules committee discretion. Fortunately no one has pulled any of that.

Some people play for love of the game. They don't give up just because they already know they won't finish in First.

You need help.
you do not know these guys. they all are life long friends and will cut your balls off

I think it's lame when some teams do it just to be a tool, but there's plenty of circumstances where it's warranted. For instance, if eliminated teams are still in contention for total points prizes, etc., then they are completely entitled to still work the wire. And also, if a league has rules that demand an owner submit a legal lineup every single week (no bye/injured players, empty slots, etc.), then you really can't deny them the right to work the wire if they're eliminated (assuming we're talking about weeks prior to the fantasy playoffs)

You need help.
you do not know these guys. they all are life long friends and will cut your balls off
I consider it a favor to me if somene picks up Foster. How is that a bad thing? Anyone who needs to start Foster at this time of the year, injury to Gore or not, is screwed anyway. It's not like Foster will help you win a championship.

I think some are confusing the issue. If a team is done.,meaning they have no games left...then they shouldn't be allowed to use waivers. As commish, I lock waivers add/drops for those that are eliminated. IF a team is eliminated from the play-offs, yet they still play consolation games, then I see no problem with the use of waivers.

Bottom line, if your team is still playing, then you should be able to use waivers, if your team is done..no waivers.

You need help.
I consider it a favor to me if somene picks up Foster. How is that a bad thing? Anyone who needs to start Foster at this time of the year, injury to Gore or not, is screwed anyway. It's not like Foster will help you win a championship.
i agree. the point is my playoff opponent got his buddy to pick him up to block me from getting him. not that big of a deal

I think some are confusing the issue. If a team is done.,meaning they have no games left...then they shouldn't be allowed to use waivers. As commish, I lock waivers add/drops for those that are eliminated. IF a team is eliminated from the play-offs, yet they still play consolation games, then I see no problem with the use of waivers.

Bottom line, if your team is still playing, then you should be able to use waivers, if your team is done..no waivers.
Unless it is a dynasty or a keeper league, where everyone should always have equal access to waiver players since the moment their season ends, the next one is starting.

jb1020 said:
Why are you bringing this up now for at playoff time? You joined the league months ago, didn't you read the rules?If no rules why join it.

jb1020 said:
in a redraft there should be a WW deadline and a trade deadline, imo. these should be right before playoff time for your league. problem solved.

fsufan said:
Hoss_Cartwright said:
fsufan said:
You need help.
i agree. the point is my playoff opponent got his buddy to pick him up to block me from getting him. not that big of a deal
You know this for a fact?

:excited:In the past, placed side bets and even just trash-talk and pride bets after being out of it.After playoff elimination, I've called opponents to play "exhibition" games.

As a commish in 2 leagues, as per our rules, we lock waivers for all teams from kickoff of our playoff week, until after our draft. Both Dynasty formats. It works very well, as I struggled with the same problems as others have experienced here.

jb1020 said:
Why does the league allow these teams to pick up FA's?

jb1020 said:
Why does the league allow these teams to pick up FA's?
Maybe they still have matchups they want to win despite not being in the playoffs.

jb1020 said:
in a redraft there should be a WW deadline and a trade deadline, imo. these should be right before playoff time for your league. problem solved.
what if you lose your kicker or TE? Doesn't make sense not to be able to use waivers

Users who are viewing this thread