What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell how the shutdown is affecting you. (1 Viewer)

This might go on for a while.  Buckle up.
Planning on it.

The normal expenditures I can handle for a while. The thing I'm worried about is the health insurance - I have no idea what happens there. Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning on it.

The normal expenditures I can handle for a while. The thing I'm worried about is the health insurance - I have no idea what happens there. Anyone know?
This was a question I too asked some friends today ....if you aren’t receiving a paycheck is your health insurance getting paid? 

Well not me but they closed the building cafeteria which is an outside company.

Few store owners/local lunch spots here are starting to feel it too

This was a question I too asked some friends today ....if you aren’t receiving a paycheck is your health insurance getting paid? 
So not sure validity but read after 2 pay periods you have to start paying the premiums yourself.

So not sure validity but read after 2 pay periods you have to start paying the premiums yourself.
Here's what my agency distributed:

- For HEALTH BENEFITS, the government contribution to the health benefits enrollment premium continues while employees are in a non-pay status. However, the employees must elect between continuing their coverage and agreeing to pay the premium or incur a debt; or terminating the health benefits enrollment.

If an employee chooses to continue the health benefits enrollment, payment of the employee’s share of the premium may be made either on a current basis, or when the employee returns to work. If an employee chooses to terminate the enrollment and avoid indebtedness for the premium:

the termination is subject to the 31-day temporary extension of coverage;

• the employee and any covered family members may convert to a non-group contract; and

• the employee may re-enroll upon returning to work, without having to wait for an open season, or other enrollment event.

Can't see this being good for the economy, short term at least. We're already ratcheting down our spending to just the essentials.

In addition to FAA inspectors not inspecting aircraft, FDA inspectors are not conducting regular inspections of food.   

Seems safe.

Curious if the FDA inspections will have a big impact. Seems like a lot of things still slip through even with the inspections. 

Ted Lieu‏Verified account @tedlieu

Ted Lieu Retweeted Taylor Dolven

Dear @FAANews: 5 more days have passed since the below article appeared with no additional FAA inspections of airplanes due to the #TrumpShutdown. So here is a very simple question for you: Is it safe for the American public to be flying right now?

Ted Lieu added,

Taylor DolvenVerified account @taydolven

Holding signs saying, “Was your airplane properly repaired and inspected today? The FAA does not know!” at MIA Thurs, inspectors spoke w/ departing airline passengers about what they say is a heightened risk of aviation accidents bc of their absence https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article223864750.html …
3:50 PM - 9 Jan 2019

Ok. This is starting to suck.

Personally likely fine for awhile, but a good number of co-workers , particularly gs-5 & 7 as well as a few with family health issues, are calling creditors with hat in hand. Can’t do a 2nd job as we’re essential.

My wife is on furlough but luckily my income is enough that we have no issues economically.  The main reason my wife works is she loves her job and it keeps her active.  Now she is starting other projects around the house, etc. given all the free time.  This is starting to drive me crazy so we need to have this thing wrapped up soon for my own sanity and our marriage.  

All contractors were just told to not come back their funding is out.  

It's getting super serious.   Some may not be replaced if it goes a couple more weeks.

Some of the younger staff have left for other jobs.   Usually you are on a track from contractor to government and they said no thanks.  Not dealing with this anymore.

So this will sting on hiring young people for awhile imo

Some of the younger staff have left for other jobs.   Usually you are on a track from contractor to government and they said no thanks.  Not dealing with this anymore.

"Twenty years ago 75% of the graduates from the Kennedy School of Government took jobs in public service, last year it was a third.  We need these people."

- Donna Moss, The West Wing

I get it, but I still find it misguided to not want government employment because of this. Sure, it's a pain, but even with an occasional shutdown, a government job is far more stable than any other job. This is a small blip on the radar of your working life.

I get it, but I still find it misguided to not want government employment because of this. Sure, it's a pain, but even with an occasional shutdown, a government job is far more stable than any other job. This is a small blip on the radar of your working life.
Not if it ruins your credit or gets you evicted.  Then it's a pretty freaking major event.

So the USDA has a loan program where you take a low interest loan out on corn (other commodities as well) for a little over 1/2 what it is worth. When you decide to sell the grain on the market you pay the loan back plus interest. Since the USDA offices are not open farmers are not able to buy the grain back to sell it on the open market.

So the USDA has a loan program where you take a low interest loan out on corn (other commodities as well) for a little over 1/2 what it is worth. When you decide to sell the grain on the market you pay the loan back plus interest. Since the USDA offices are not open farmers are not able to buy the grain back to sell it on the open market.
Damn. Farmers have been taking it in the keister the past year. The last thing they need is another problem. Best of luck.

Not if it ruins your credit or gets you evicted.  Then it's a pretty freaking major event.
My point is those things are more likely to happen working for someone else. Sure, it helps you immediately in the short run, but there’s so much more risk in non-government work. 

My wife is on furlough but luckily my income is enough that we have no issues economically.  The main reason my wife works is she loves her job and it keeps her active.  Now she is starting other projects around the house, etc. given all the free time.  This is starting to drive me crazy so we need to have this thing wrapped up soon for my own sanity and our marriage.  
I’m feeling the same. My wife is doing her best to keep the economy humming on her furlough through online shopping. She bought about $1,000 worth of rugs the other day. She was also talking about buying new furniture for the living room. God help me.

The government is shut down???  I don't pay attention to this stuff, but I am impacted 0%.

I am in a particularly screwed situation.  I retired on 31 December 2018 after 37 years of USG service. I was a U.S Senior Foreign Service Officer - served in 13 different countries over my career including 2 years in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Because of the shutdown my paperwork is not being processed, sitting in someones inbox.  Even when the government is at work there is a normal 60 day period between when the paperwork is processed and a pension check is received. So I have zero income and it looks likely that it will be this way for the next two of three months.  Mortgage payments, car payments, utilities, gas, food, etc, etc.....this sucks big time.  I have some savings that I am burning through but will last maybe another month.  Banks and creditors don't really give a damn, I don't know what I'm going to do... :kicksrock:

I am in a particularly screwed situation.  I retired on 31 December 2018 after 37 years of USG service. I was a U.S Senior Foreign Service Officer - served in 13 different countries over my career including 2 years in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Because of the shutdown my paperwork is not being processed, sitting in someones inbox.  Even when the government is at work there is a normal 60 day period between when the paperwork is processed and a pension check is received. So I have zero income and it looks likely that it will be this way for the next two of three months.  Mortgage payments, car payments, utilities, gas, food, etc, etc.....this sucks big time.  I have some savings that I am burning through but will last maybe another month.  Banks and creditors don't really give a damn, I don't know what I'm going to do... :kicksrock:
Damn man. Really sorry to hear this.

I had to rectify my Cal Fresh benefits this month. I probably will not get Food Stamps in February 

Good luck all

sorry GB.  Thanks for your service.

You are a great patriot, I’m sorry to hear this.

2 hour + lines at Minneapolis/Saint Paul airport this morning. Got myself signed up for the Clear thing and breezed through security though. 

Write your congress person and tell them this exact thing. When they start getting enough heat from folks like you is when they'll actually start making stuff happen. Doesn't matter what party they're in or you're in - once they get the feel that their job is on the line because they're not making progress on this issue, they'll get interested in solving it.

I wasn't kidding earlier when I wrote that it'll be whoevers' constituents that complain the loudest about missing their mortgage payments that will be the ones who will finally force a resolution. That's the side that will have to capitulate.

2 hour + lines at Minneapolis/Saint Paul airport this morning. Got myself signed up for the Clear thing and breezed through security though. 
Based on the jump in delays last Sat/Sun (followed by a reduction during the subsequent work week), I wouldn't be surprised if today and tomorrow suck at the airport.

Write your congress person and tell them this exact thing. When they start getting enough heat from folks like you is when they'll actually start making stuff happen. Doesn't matter what party they're in or you're in - once they get the feel that their job is on the line because they're not making progress on this issue, they'll get interested in solving it.

I wasn't kidding earlier when I wrote that it'll be whoevers' constituents that complain the loudest about missing their mortgage payments that will be the ones who will finally force a resolution. That's the side that will have to capitulate.
Thanks, good idea and I just did that - to both my Representative (Vern Buchanan) and Senators (Rubio). Sorta like spitting into the wind but can't hurt.  Please, everyone join me. Thanks.

Given the likelihood of a shutdown, did you consider delaying your retirement until a resolution was found? If so, why not delay?

Given the likelihood of a shutdown, did you consider delaying your retirement until a resolution was found? If so, why not delay?
Two problems with that. First we are required to submit retirement papers/application at least 120 days before the retirement date. I submitted mine on 15 August 2018.  Second, I might could have postponed my date at the last minute, but if I retired in 2019 I would have lost over 140 hours of unused accrued vacation leave (in 2018)  - which works out to over $12,000. Financially it made sense to retire before calendar year 2019.  Ugh...

Two problems with that. First we are required to submit retirement papers/application at least 120 days before the retirement date. I submitted mine on 15 August 2018.  Second, I might could have postponed my date at the last minute, but if I retired in 2019 I would have lost over 140 hours of unused accrued vacation leave (in 2018)  - which works out to over $12,000. Financially it made sense to retire before calendar year 2019.  Ugh...
Man.. just seems like a star crossed retirement.

So the USDA are going to open up and offer most services for farmers on January 24 for a few days. Going to feel strange applying for USDA government program payments as  employees who are not receiving a paycheck do my paperwork. I plan on giving a small tip with condolences for our President using them as pawns🙁

A new airport was opening north of Seattle. It's now been delayed because of FAA approvals that cannot be completed. 

Mild inconvenience to me. I'm guessing a bigger deal to all the people that were going to work there.

Users who are viewing this thread