What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrible fantasy football analysis from experts depository (1 Viewer)

maf005

Footballguy
Last week on Grantland's NFL podcast with Bill Barnwell and Robert Mays (as an aside, I think Barnwell's statistics based analysis and dry writing style makes him unreadable. His preseason prediction that the Colts would win 6 games, based solely on overperforming their Pythagorean expectation, was as laughable then as it is now. The only reason I click his artilcle links or listen to his awful voice on podcasts is so I can hear him explain his terrible predictions of the week before. But alas, he refuses to eat his own ####) the did a segment where they give a ff roster for the week. Sorta like FanDuel I guess but there's really no indication of a salary so maybe it's closer to a list. Anyway, below is the team Barnwell suggested:

Cam "he won't punt on 4th down again...real statement game for the panthers"

Rice "i hope he has a big week against the Browns...i think it could be a big bounce back week"

McFadden "the eagles defense isn't good"

Dez Bryant "I don't think the Vikings have anyone who can cover Dez Bryant"

Jeffery "packers, it seems like let guys go for big plays..have some holes in that defense"

Nate Washington "i feel like nate washington is one of the most underrated players in the nfl. consistently produces year after year

Fleener "if reggie wayne isn't there someone has to catch those intermediate passes"

Ravens "because I've seen Jason Campbell and I know better than to trust Jason Cambell"

Hartley "the saints can't run the ball well"

The only reason I click his artilcle links or listen to his awful voice on podcasts is so I can hear him explain his terrible predictions of the week before. But alas, he refuses to eat his own ####
You should hunt him down and punch him in the face.

The only reason I click his artilcle links or listen to his awful voice on podcasts is so I can hear him explain his terrible predictions of the week before. But alas, he refuses to eat his own ####
Heh

This is meant to point out the analysts who give out terrible advice. Not terrible because their predictions didn't come true, but because their analysis is lazy, or lacking nuance, or whatever. The OP was meant to be an example of this. Any serious FF player should avoid Barnwell when seeking ff guidance.

HehThis is meant to point out the analysts who give out terrible advice. Not terrible because their predictions didn't come true, but because their analysis is lazy, or lacking nuance, or whatever. The OP was meant to be an example of this. Any serious FF player should avoid Barnwell when seeking ff guidance.
Well then damn we'd be here all day listing names and articles.

Heh

This is meant to point out the analysts who give out terrible advice. Not terrible because their predictions didn't come true, but because their analysis is lazy, or lacking nuance, or whatever. The OP was meant to be an example of this. Any serious FF player should avoid Barnwell when seeking ff guidance.
I'd say the op is an example of terrible analysis, but maybe not in the way you intended.

Heh

I'd say the op is an example of terrible analysis, but maybe not in the way you intended.
I didn't give any analysis other than to say that Barnwell is terrible

Just listened to CBS's fantasy football for the first (and last) time. I could only get through about 15 mins of it before giving up.

The host asked the analysts how worried they were about different situations and to rate their worry level on a scale from one (benching) to ten (no issue). Dez with his back injury and getting shut down last week, Fitz's lack of production, Cruz, etc

One guy (I couldn't tell them apart after only like 10 mins of listening) said that his level of worry of Dez was a zero because, and this may not be an exact quote but I think it capures the effect, "the Saints made a concerted effort to take away Dez" ie they gameplanned to double him. This is actually the reason he gave for not being concerned about Dez.

As if other teams won't notice how bad the Cowboys' offense was when Dez was blanketed and won't do the same. Horrible

Just listened to CBS's fantasy football for the first (and last) time. I could only get through about 15 mins of it before giving up.

The host asked the analysts how worried they were about different situations and to rate their worry level on a scale from one (benching) to ten (no issue). Dez with his back injury and getting shut down last week, Fitz's lack of production, Cruz, etc

One guy (I couldn't tell them apart after only like 10 mins of listening) said that his level of worry of Dez was a zero because, and this may not be an exact quote but I think it capures the effect, "the Saints made a concerted effort to take away Dez" ie they gameplanned to double him. This is actually the reason he gave for not being concerned about Dez.

As if other teams won't notice how bad the Cowboys' offense was when Dez was blanketed and won't do the same. Horrible
LOL, you're talking about the Dave Richard / Jamey Eisenberg/ Nando trio. Yes, they are horrific. Its amazing that people actually listen to their advice. Jamey while arrogant actually has some decent knowledge. Dave and Nando know as much as the guy next to you, if not less.

Not having listened to the podcast I am going to assume it was Nando who is the most clueless individual to ever give fantasy information. He is awful and from an entertainment perspective completely ruins the show. I have no idea how he has a job. He makes everyone more dumb by listening to him. He gets no points. And May god have mercy on his soul.

Haha not to mention Nando might have the worst 'radio' voice of all time. Who on earth heard this guy speak and said 'hey he might be good on the air!' He sounds like he's congested 24 hrs a day

The bolded would indicate this person is apparently so concerned about Dez that simply benching him doesn't sufficiently capture it. Guess he's dropping him.

The bolded would indicate this person is apparently so concerned about Dez that simply benching him doesn't sufficiently capture it. Guess he's dropping him.
No kidding. Maybe the Dez owner in my league feels like maf005 does--I'm going to make him an offer!

whoops..i mixed up the scale or the answer somewhere. The CBS analyst wasn't concerned with Dez's bad game..which is fine. He can think whatever he wants. But the logic he used to support that belief was horrible

LOL, you're talking about the Dave Richard / Jamey Eisenberg/ Nando trio. Yes, they are horrific. Its amazing that people actually listen to their advice. Jamey while arrogant actually has some decent knowledge. Dave and Nando know as much as the guy next to you, if not less.
The CBS guys have always come off to me as kids with journalism degrees that cajoled their way to fantasy football "analysis" b/c nobody else was around at CBS to do it.

Their instincts to get into fantasy football when they did has been their strength; definitely not their analytic qualifications as players/front office types in the actual game of football.

Of course that can be said for nearly the entire industry. For instance industry pioneer Ian Allen started in 1987 (or something like that) with the same credentials and the same instinct that FF was going to be big; but somehow I respect Ian a lot more than the CBS clowns...

Last week on Grantland's NFL podcast with Bill Barnwell and Robert Mays (as an aside, I think Barnwell's statistics based analysis and dry writing style makes him unreadable. His preseason prediction that the Colts would win 6 games, based solely on overperforming their Pythagorean expectation, was as laughable then as it is now. The only reason I click his artilcle links or listen to his awful voice on podcasts is so I can hear him explain his terrible predictions of the week before. But alas, he refuses to eat his own ####) the did a segment where they give a ff roster for the week. Sorta like FanDuel I guess but there's really no indication of a salary so maybe it's closer to a list. Anyway, below is the team Barnwell suggested:

Rice "i hope he has a big week against the Browns...i think it could be a big bounce back week"

Jeffery "packers, it seems like let guys go for big plays..have some holes in that defense"

Nate Washington "i feel like nate washington is one of the most underrated players in the nfl. consistently produces year after year

Fleener "if reggie wayne isn't there someone has to catch those intermediate passes"

Ravens "because I've seen Jason Campbell and I know better than to trust Jason Cambell"

Aren't you the guy who went on and on in the "coaching mistakes" thread about his hatred of Barnwell? Maybe you shouldn't be listening to every word he says to the point where you're dictating his opinions on a message board.

What's funny is I remember your criticism being how he doesn't have "fun" on that site like some of the other writers, so he shouldn't be there. His podcast with Robert Mays is pretty informative, and when they're not discussing more detailed things that you don't get elsewhere, like offensive line play, they're doing things like this when they're randomly making up teams to pit against each other. They also constantly make fun of each other and themselves for dumb predictions/opinions. Barnwell would probably punch you in the face for thinking he was trying to be a FF "expert".

Aren't you the guy who went on and on in the "coaching mistakes" thread about his hatred of Barnwell? Maybe you shouldn't be listening to every word he says to the point where you're dictating his opinions on a message board.

What's funny is I remember your criticism being how he doesn't have "fun" on that site like some of the other writers, so he shouldn't be there. His podcast with Robert Mays is pretty informative, and when they're not discussing more detailed things that you don't get elsewhere, like offensive line play, they're doing things like this when they're randomly making up teams to pit against each other. They also constantly make fun of each other and themselves for dumb predictions/opinions. Barnwell would probably punch you in the face for thinking he was trying to be a FF "expert".
Yes that was me. And I'm a huge NFL fan so if there is a podcast put out by one of my favorite Sports/Entertainment website, I'm at least going to give it a listen. I expected it to be a complete fail and was correct.

Barnwell absolutely shouldn't be classified as a NFL analyst either. He's a statistician. The application he chose just happens to be football.

Just like Nate Silver is a statistician and not a pundit. <_<

I'm not going to defend everything Barnwell says, but rather, any consumer needs to listen to a wide variety of opinions and make decisions from there. Every analyst picks wrong from time to time, just as they all have good calls. For example, the Grantland guys were one of the first podcasts I heard to not only declare TRich a RoS bust but also explain why ("inability to change directions and accelerate quickly"). Grantland wasn't the only place to hear this - I think the Fantasy Underground on ESPN also came to this conclusion pretty early - but they are still a useful tool in the shed.

I'll agree that Nando's FF advice is suspect at best (though he was dead right about Cutler during the preseason, injuries aside). He does add different stylistic elements to the CBS podcast, though, and when there are a lot of FFB podcasts out there, there's nothing wrong with differentiating in style. If only they could get rid of the whiny Aizer...

Interesting.

Last season I used my own brain and the only outside information I used was the CBS podcast. I went 41-7 and won all 3 leagues and profited over 16,000 dollars.

Yeah, they suck.

Interesting.

Last season I used my own brain and the only outside information I used was the CBS podcast. I went 41-7 and won all 3 leagues and profited over 16,000 dollars.

Yeah, they suck.
You got lucky.

Interesting.

Yeah, they suck.
Wow you play in high stakes leagues and listen to that CBS podcast with those clowns? Dooooood, yea u got lucky. They're terrible!

I'm not going to defend everything Barnwell says, but rather, any consumer needs to listen to a wide variety of opinions and make decisions from there. Every analyst picks wrong from time to time, just as they all have good calls. For example, the Grantland guys were one of the first podcasts I heard to not only declare TRich a RoS bust but also explain why ("inability to change directions and accelerate quickly"). Grantland wasn't the only place to hear this - I think the Fantasy Underground on ESPN also came to this conclusion pretty early - but they are still a useful tool in the shed.
I just started listening to FU this year, and think it's pretty good (Harris much more than Yates), but they were absolutely wrong on TRich. The day after the trade, Harris went on a rant about how dumb it was of the Browns, and he kept defending TRich for weeks until finally jumping off the bandwagon last week.

That's not to condemn him for liking TRich -- everyone makes mistakes -- but they definitely don't deserve any credit for foresight. (On the other hand, Yates did mention Zac Stacy a month ago as his ROS sleeper.)

As for Barnwell, honestly, I don't get the hate. I think he brings a perspective to the NFL that few others do, and while he's not a great writer by any means, I find him readable enough.

Christopher Harris just compared Aaron Dobson to Keenan Allen saying they're both "team's No. 3 or 4 preferred aerial weapon" in the latest Hard Count

Harris' biggest flaw is he is very VERY slow to trust someone. He still is down on Allen. Last week when Allen had a bad game he basically did an I told you so . completely ignoring the fact that he was dead wrong on him for weeks prior. He still has no faith in Foles too. He has a lot of knowledge and he is intelligent and puts together a good show but he needs to take some chances. Fantasy leagues are won that way and I picture his listeners as missing out and losing championships while hiding in a corner , scared to own or start a player because of his advice.

Harris' biggest flaw is he is very VERY slow to trust someone. He still is down on Allen. Last week when Allen had a bad game he basically did an I told you so . completely ignoring the fact that he was dead wrong on him for weeks prior. He still has no faith in Foles too. He has a lot of knowledge and he is intelligent and puts together a good show but he needs to take some chances. Fantasy leagues are won that way and I picture his listeners as missing out and losing championships while hiding in a corner , scared to own or start a player because of his advice.
This is the perception I have of some of the guys at ESPN and CBS (the most "mainstream" experts I guess) - tend to be slow to warm up to newer contributors, and can cling too long to fading guys. By contrast, I feel like some of the less known internet guys can do the exact opposite.

This is the perception I have of some of the guys at ESPN and CBS (the most "mainstream" experts I guess) - tend to be slow to warm up to newer contributors, and can cling too long to fading guys. By contrast, I feel like some of the less known internet guys can do the exact opposite.
You basically described how the mainstream *anything* handles everything vs how the little guy handles everything. Play it safe to stay on top, take chances to climb.

Anyone watch "NFL Fantasy Live" on NFLN?

Akbar Gbaja-Biamila is PAINFUL to listen to. He knows absolutely nothing about fantasy football, but at least he talks about it at the top of his voice.

:wall:

I actually think its hilarious...They do a "Bold predictions" segment at the end of every show right before the 1oclock games...He literally had Tom brady in his at least for a month..."I predict tom brady will be outscored by ryan fitzpatrick....i predict tom brady will get under 15 fantasy points..."

Did you see their "Fantasy court"?? they debated issues like churning rosters before a fantasy week starts... it was kind of annoying but funny to see how they communicated their opinions.

the sites that rate experts have the CBS guys way down on the list. They are probably sbetter that than the random casual ff guy in an office league, but worse than most who follow FF closely (like the people on this board)

\

Everyone here recognizes the irony in mocking one source for predicting the future versus another right?

Everyone here recognizes the irony in mocking one source for predicting the future versus another right?
Heh

Barnwell is not a fantasy writer. He's an NFL writer. There's a difference. I don't read Peter King or Adam Schefter for fantasy analysis either.

Barnwell is not a fantasy writer. He's an NFL writer. There's a difference. I don't read Peter King or Adam Schefter for fantasy analysis either.
Except that he rarely writes about the Xs and Os of the game. Instead he focuses on ridiculous stats like fumble recovery rates and Pythagorean expectations

Users who are viewing this thread