What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1972. #1. All The Young Dudes (1 Viewer)

Thin Lizzy is a band that the critics say you are supposed to like.  Good thing I don’t listen to them.  I never heard of Whiskey in the Jar until Metallica covered it.  I’m good if I never heard another Thin Lizzy song outside of Jeepster.  

is it possible to be more influential than good?  If so, I present to you these guys.
This is really wrong. I mean just a terrible post. 

Also, “Jeepster” is a T Rex tune. 

Thin Lizzy is a band that the critics say you are supposed to like.  Good thing I don’t listen to them.  I never heard of Whiskey in the Jar until Metallica covered it.  I’m good if I never heard another Thin Lizzy song outside of Jeepster.  

is it possible to be more influential than good?  If so, I present to you these guys.
All subjective - there are certainly plenty of bands I feel the same way about. I have indicated my love for Lizzy before, but they do have some weakish material, no doubt. When they were on, which was much of the time, they’re great, but when they were off, not so much. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you listened to Hollywood (Down On Your Luck) before? Great tune IMO.

definitely an "on brand" posting FW ... :hifive:

A couple of years ago I listened to the Jailbreak album in full because everyone says it’s great. 

It’s ok. The two radio songs from it are excellent, but I already knew that. The rest, I was … whelmed.

Thin Lizzy has ear worms galore. Just a great band when they're on. 

I’ll have to give them another listen (T-Rex also).  I guess it gets compared to one Aerosmith to me.
T. Rex is understandably tough to dig if you're coming at him from a pure rock n' roll perspective. T. Rex can be awfully ballad-like and folk rock-ish, which is how Marc Bolan started out as T. Rex. He wasn't really a rocker until Electric Warrior. Then he followed that up with the even-more stomping The Slider. Don't forget, you're juxtaposing these guys (Rex and Lizzy) against the soft rock of '72, so they seem even harder. 

Thin Lizzy has ear worms galore. Just a great band when they're on. 
I’ll have to give them another listen (T-Rex also).  I guess it gets compared to one Aerosmith to me.
As mentioned, Lizzy can be very hit or miss at times, but great when they're on. Fantastic musicianship and Phil Lynott (RIP) was quite the front man.

I don't typically recommend live stuff at first, but they were always a terrific live band and their 1977 album Live and Dangerous is often cited as one of the best live rock albums in history. Even features Huey Lewis 👍

A couple of years ago I listened to the Jailbreak album in full because everyone says it’s great. 

It’s ok. The two radio songs from it are excellent, but I already knew that. The rest, I was … whelmed.

put me in the MEH camp with the Lizzys, as well ... nothing earth shattering enough for me to ever reach for.  

not hearing any of their stuff ever again would be an amoeba on a pimple on my ### - i'd survive. 

I can understand the love - just don't share the same view. :shrug:
I’m more commenting on the “critics have convinced the masses” part - kind of insulting to people who can actually see the greatness and appreciate it and not because the critics told them to.

34. David Bowie “Suffragette City” (from The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

https://youtu.be/rq1bcVOmyjw

A lot of people consider this song to be THE great song from Ziggy; I have a couple others ranked even higher. Nonetheless this is easily one of the great rock and roll tunes of all time. Wham bam thank you ma’am. 

Legend has it that Bowie offered this song to Mott the Hoople, as he admired them and wanted to talk them out of breaking up. That band rejected it and chose another Bowie song to record instead. We’ll get to it later. 

I’m more commenting on the “critics have convinced the masses” part - kind of insulting to people who can actually see the greatness and appreciate it and not because the critics told them to.
That’s ok it’s just my opinion.  Three others I don’t get the love for - Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Velvet Underground.  Free thinkers and critics can like them all.  There are a lot of people who buy them based on a critic also. 

back to the countdown.  

That’s ok Tim, it’s just my opinion.  Three others I don’t get the love for - Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Velvet Underground.  Free thinkers and critics can like them all.  There are a lot of people who buy them based on a critic also. 

back to the countdown.  
I find that you & I don't align very often with opinions about music, but will you marry me? 

I DO understand the love for those 3 acts, but they do absolutely nothing for me. 

That’s ok Tim, it’s just my opinion.  Three others I don’t get the love for - Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Velvet Underground.  Free thinkers and critics can like them all.  There are a lot of people who buy them based on a critic also. 

back to the countdown.  
I'm not tim.

Yes, I'm sure some people buy records based on positive reviews, just like people go see movies that are reviewed well - but I assure you people that like the Grateful Dead don't care what critics say, and for the most part critics didn't really like them. 

It's ok if you don't like a band, but it's such an odd stance to say people that do are only following what the critics want them to listen to.

34. David Bowie “Suffragette City” (from The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

A lot of people consider this song to be THE great song from Ziggy; I have a couple others ranked even higher. Nonetheless this is easily one of the great rock and roll tunes of all time. Wham bam thank you ma’am. 

Legend has it that Bowie offered this song to Mott the Hoople, as he admired them and wanted to talk them out of breaking up. That band rejected it and chose another Bowie song to record instead. We’ll get to it later. 

How many songs do you have in this countdown from Exile & Ziggy combined?

I don't denigrate anyone who thinks Exile is a great album. I like every song on it, but don't especially care for the album as a whole. I know that makes no sense, but that's the way it goes with most of my opinions. I like Goats Head better.

I don't denigrate anyone who thinks Exile is a great album. I like every song on it, but don't especially care for the album as a whole. I know that makes no sense, but that's the way it goes with most of my opinions. I like Goats Head better.
Music is subjective so it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like a band/album. I just think it's an odd form of mental gymnastics to try and make up reasons why someone else would love that band/album just because one doesn't "get it".

I can understand the love - just don't share the same view. :shrug:
Not talking about anyone here obviously, but I know plenty less savant-like folks that are affected by what the masses/critics think. That's OK though. 

Awwww...on a slim whim thank you tim. 

Critics absolutely loathed the Velvet Underground. They might have set a record for negative reviews for their first recording and live shows. They garnered a reception along the way that completely demolished the aspirations of the band itself. They disintegrated, slowly but surely, with members leaving after realizing they wouldn't live the rock n' roll dream. 

It's only the modern-day hagiography the band receives from critics that would lead anyone to believe that anyone listened to them because they were critical darlings. Even in the nineties, I was under no critical spell when I first heard the Andy Warhol album. It just sounded so great, so of-the-moment back then. Wasn't until later I knew how much they were revered. That came from other artists, actually. Artists that were influenced by and incorporated the use of the Velvet Underground's "innovations" into their music were what caused the historical tide to turn towards acceptance and lionization of the Velvet Underground. They were a musician's band before they were critical darlings. 

rockaction said:
Critics absolutely loathed the Velvet Underground. They might have set a record for negative reviews and garnered a reception that completely demolished the aspirations of the band itself. They disintegrated, slowly but surely, with members leaving after realizing they wouldn't live the rock n' roll dream. 

It's only the modern-day hagiography the band receives from critics that would lead anyone to believe that anyone listened to them because they were critical darlings. Even in the nineties, I was under no critical spell when I first heard the Andy Warhol album. It just sounded so great, so of-the-moment back then. Wasn't until later I knew how much they were revered. That came from other artists, actually. Artists that were influenced by and incorporated the use of the Velvet Underground's "innovations" into their music were what caused the historical tide to turn towards acceptance and lionization of the Velvet Underground. They were a musician's band before they were critical darlings. 
Someone once wrote that only about a hundred people ever listened to the Velvet Underground, but they all started bands. 

The main talent behind the Velvet Underground went on to an up and down but sometimes brilliant solo career; we will be getting to some of the best highlights of that career coming up. 

Uruk-Hai said:
I find that you & I don't align very often with opinions about music, but will you marry me? 

I DO understand the love for those 3 acts, but they do absolutely nothing for me. 
Haha.   I do get the future of the Dead fan.  I give them all the space they need.

yeah, hopefully the "host" will pay some COTdamn respect to Mick Ronson - citing "SC" and not mentioning the geetar god is pretty lame. 

:unsure:

what other song from the 70s that allows ...nay ...requires EVERYONE to scream "Suck a big t****!!"  at every refrain.  

ETA: self-edit required ...

I'm not tim.

Yes, I'm sure some people buy records based on positive reviews, just like people go see movies that are reviewed well - but I assure you people that like the Grateful Dead don't care what critics say, and for the most part critics didn't really like them. 

It's ok if you don't like a band, but it's such an odd stance to say people that do are only following what the critics want them to listen to.
Sorry, my bad for calling you Tim, and to Tim.  

Back then, a lot of the airplay was because of influential people in the industry.  

I'm not nearly as big of a fan of Exile as many - I think it's really good, but seems like one of those albums that critics have convinced the masses that they are supposed to love because the critics do.

praised for it's grit and grime and sleaze ... but it was recorded by tax exiles living in a villa in the south of France. 

kinda smooths that "edge" off. 

fine platter, but ... it's the Paul Castellano of "critics darling" albums. 

yeah, hopefully the "host" will pay some COTdamn respect to Mick Ronson - citing "SC" and not mentioning the geetar god is pretty lame. 

:unsure:
Ronson is a key figure on several songs coming up, not just from Ziggy Stardust- (did I mention the main talent from Velvet Underground?) 

And yes his work on Suffragette was phenomenal. 

Users who are viewing this thread