What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

ttiger72 said:
Wonder how much Cisco will win in their trademark lawsuit?
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :goodposting:
Actually I think that they are calling it the iPhone and that they are going to buy the rights from Cisco

Engadget is reporting that the price tag shown is WITH a new 2 year Cingular agreement. Wonder what the price tag is without the new 2 year agreement? Does that also mean that anyone in the middle of their current contract would have to either wait or shell out full price? I'm also wondering about fingerprints on that screen. That looks like a gorgeous and shiny screen. I would think that using your fingers to input stuff would leave it covered in smeared prints. My wife's Nano is awful about picking up greasy fingerprints. It really is an awesome product and I'd love one if I could afford dropping that kind of money on something like that, but I'm not sure that it's as much of a slam dunk as some may think.
this gives Palm and Sandisk an opportunity to unite.. maybe sony on the nameplate for style...600 is steep, and i am a cingular customer...i would bet they would be willing to start a new contract for existing customers who have been around since before this announcement... all though, they kinda got you by the short n curlies eh??

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of other amazing things I just overheard (I'm in meetings in San Francisco, and folks who stopped by MacWorld came by (IT nerds) and explained these things to me):

It's entirely touch screen. No buttons. No stylus. The touchscreen is supposedly easier/better than any we've seen before.

It runs a complete Mac OS10 client. It's a Mac. It can run just about any software as though you were sitting at a computer.

Built in GPS.

Sounds insane. I'd be all over this if I had the option of using it to replace my work-issued Treo.

Their goal is to sell 10MM of these in a year. That seems a little high given that they've sold 40MM ipods since their intro.
Actually they are over 70MM now. At at the pace they are on should break 100MM next year.

A couple of other amazing things I just overheard (I'm in meetings in San Francisco, and folks who stopped by MacWorld came by (IT nerds) and explained these things to me):

It's entirely touch screen. No buttons. No stylus. The touchscreen is supposedly easier/better than any we've seen before.

It runs a complete Mac OS10 client. It's a Mac. It can run just about any software as though you were sitting at a computer.

Built in GPS.

Sounds insane. I'd be all over this if I had the option of using it to replace my work-issued Treo.
With integrated google maps it instantly knows exactly where you are and automatically pulls up the appropriate map. Also has satellite photos. Full search allows you to find a location, map pulls up the location and one click phones! Amazing.

I don't know that Jobs will care. They lost a lawsuit a long time ago against the Beatles and their Apple company. The agreement was that Apple could continue to use the name and logo for their products but couldn't ever enter the music business in any way. And look at them now. Apple would be half the size that they are now without the iPod and iTunes. The Beatles' Apple sued Jobs's Apple but I never heard that anything became of it.
Looks like an agreement between Apple and Cisco over the name is all but done. From CNN:
There was some question as to whether Apple would be able to use the iPhone name for the device. But Cisco Systems (down $0.02 to $28.61, Charts), which owns the rights to the iPhone name, said Tuesday it expects to reach agreement with Apple later Tuesday on using the name for its device."Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today Apple intends to agree to the final documents and public statement that were distributed to them last night and addressed a few remaining items," Cisco said in a statement obtained by CNN. "We expect to receive a signed agreement today."

Memphis Foundry said:
goonsquad said:
Apple iPhone sounds amazing. It's a widescreen video iPod, mobile phone and internet communicator wrapped into one device! Completely touch screen, no keyboard.

iPhone pic
Interesting -- it looks almost like a PSP in form factor. I hope Cingular is available as a carrier.
"Cingular" is prominently at the top of the display - that may be your only choice.
It is. From the Cingular site:Apple Chooses Cingular as Exclusive U.S. Carrier for Its Revolutionary iPhone

Memphis Foundry said:
goonsquad said:
Apple iPhone sounds amazing. It's a widescreen video iPod, mobile phone and internet communicator wrapped into one device! Completely touch screen, no keyboard.

iPhone pic
Interesting -- it looks almost like a PSP in form factor. I hope Cingular is available as a carrier.
"Cingular" is prominently at the top of the display - that may be your only choice.
It is. From the Cingular site:Apple Chooses Cingular as Exclusive U.S. Carrier for Its Revolutionary iPhone
Rumor sites are claiming it's a Cingular exclusive for 6-months then will be made available to other carriers. Like the RAZR was. No idea if this is true or not.

I'm really curious about what's under the hood. Nobody seems to know what sort of processor it's running, though I wouldn't doubt that it's a previously unannounced Intel ultra low voltage proc. That would be sexier than a standard PDA ARM processor. And it would make it easier to port over OS X. There's no way it's running a full-on kernel, but if it's functional enough to run Safari, you should be able to get a VPN client and a solid terminal emulator running on there.

I'm really curious about what's under the hood. Nobody seems to know what sort of processor it's running, though I wouldn't doubt that it's a previously unannounced Intel ultra low voltage proc. That would be sexier than a standard PDA ARM processor. And it would make it easier to port over OS X. There's no way it's running a full-on kernel, but if it's functional enough to run Safari, you should be able to get a VPN client and a solid terminal emulator running on there.
:rolleyes:

I don't like the touch screen idea.
I've got a treo and it works fine -- altough, I'll bet Apple's design is a billion times better (as they are with most things).
I had a touch screen phone and hated that I couldn't put it in my pocket.
I put mine in my pocket all the time :rolleyes:
That whole thing is touch screen. Every time the screen touches anything it will back light and drain the batteries.

I've got a treo and it works fine -- altough, I'll bet Apple's design is a billion times better (as they are with most things).
That whole thing is touch screen. Every time the screen touches anything it will back light and drain the batteries.
If Apple's other products are any indication, I'd be certain they've come up with a much more elegant way of handling this issue. My money is on it being a non-issue.

I thought I saw a photo of the iPhone with a big ol' "lock" slider on the touch screenthat leads me to believe that you'd have to specifically touch and slide to the right to unlock it.That should solve the pocket problem, I'd think.

I put mine in my pocket all the time :loco:
I thought I saw a photo of the iPhone with a big ol' "lock" slider on the touch screenthat leads me to believe that you'd have to specifically touch and slide to the right to unlock it.That should solve the pocket problem, I'd think.
That doesn't seem like it will take care of the issue if you need to use the touch screen to disable the lock. That lock is probably so that touching the screen wont press any virtual buttons. My whole point is that when you touch the screen it needs to back light so that you can see what you're doing. You need the back light in order to "see" the virtual lock on the screen and manipulate it. The screen doesn't know when you hit it accidentally.Otis may be right, Apple may come up with a nice way to get around this, but until I hear it it seems like a problem.

They haven't explained it yet, but one of the things being touted was the fact that it won't respond to "false touches".

ETA Also the Apple TV looks like a pretty cool product.
At $299 it's about $100 more than a similar concept from NetGear. Of course, it's automatic synching and the ease of the Itunes interface certainly adds value. And it certainly looks A LOT less clunky than the competing models (which get really shaky reviews right now).Certainly looks like the entire way we use television is changing though. I could practically get rid of cable right now.

They haven't explained it yet, but one of the things being touted was the fact that it won't respond to "false touches".
It's probably going to be the best touchscreen we've ever seen.This sort of makes me think of the way the touchpad on my new MacBook works. You can operate it with a single hand, and it becomes incredibly intuitive and easy to operate after you figure it out. It's a seriously amazing advance in computing but so subtle it goes unnoticed.Basically, it senses two fingers versus 1. To scroll you don't have to drag on the side or top of the touchpad -- you just drag two fingers instead of one. Also, to right click you tap with one finger. To left click and get the submenu, you tap with two. It's an absolute joy to use, and things like that are what separate Apple from everyone else. I have no doubt that same ingenuitiy and creative thinking will find it's way into this iPhone.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what kind of contact management software will the iphone handle? My treo 700 is perfect for basically allowing me to have all my contacts and calenders and appointments and info from MS Outlook available anywhere. Synchs smoothly and works great.

I use treo instead of blackberry as it gives me a much more robust version of outlook on the phone.

What will iphone have?

J

This device is going to rule. Don't know when I'll pick it up as I just got a new cell phone, but I WILL get one at some point

I put mine in my pocket all the time :goodposting:
That doesn't seem like it will take care of the issue if you need to use the touch screen to disable the lock. That lock is probably so that touching the screen wont press any virtual buttons. My whole point is that when you touch the screen it needs to back light so that you can see what you're doing. You need the back light in order to "see" the virtual lock on the screen and manipulate it. The screen doesn't know when you hit it accidentally.Otis may be right, Apple may come up with a nice way to get around this, but until I hear it it seems like a problem.
It has a sensor built in that will turn off the screen and audio when the phone is close to a large surface. So when it's up to your face as a phone or in your pocket the screen will be off and locked.

I put mine in my pocket all the time :goodposting:
It has a sensor built in that will turn off the screen and audio when the phone is close to a large surface. So when it's up to your face as a phone or in your pocket the screen will be off and locked.
Genius. Seriously. My Treo is a pain in the ### in that sense -- my face hitting the screen and turning it off or accidentally hitting buttons. :goodposting:

I put mine in my pocket all the time :hifive:
Genius. Seriously. My Treo is a pain in the ### in that sense -- my face hitting the screen and turning it off or accidentally hitting buttons. :goodposting:
:popcorn: How does your "face hit the screen and turning it off" happen with the treo? Mine has the little "end call" button. Do you mean you press that with your face somehow? I'm not sure I could do that if I tried. I don't think I've ever ended a call without meaning to. J

Genius. Seriously. My Treo is a pain in the ### in that sense -- my face hitting the screen and turning it off or accidentally hitting buttons. :popcorn:
:hifive: How does your "face hit the screen and turning it off" happen with the treo? Mine has the little "end call" button. Do you mean you press that with your face somehow? I'm not sure I could do that if I tried. I don't think I've ever ended a call without meaning to. J
:goodposting:

I'm not an Apple jihadist, but I have to admit that phone is light years away from anything I could have even imagined in terms of form factor and interface.

I put mine in my pocket all the time :shrug:
Genius. Seriously. My Treo is a pain in the ### in that sense -- my face hitting the screen and turning it off or accidentally hitting buttons. :own3d:
:lmao: How does your "face hit the screen and turning it off" happen with the treo? Mine has the little "end call" button. Do you mean you press that with your face somehow? I'm not sure I could do that if I tried. I don't think I've ever ended a call without meaning to. J
:shrug:I guess it could just be bad cell service dropping calls, but I'm pretty sure I've accidentally had it end calls by pressing it against my cheekbone while talking on it.Perhaps you're just fortunate.

One said:
One said:
I was at Macworld all day and that iPhone is freakin' amazing. I'll post some video and pics after dinner.
:own3d:
here's a couple of my iPhone pics though.floor pic

another floor pic
engadget.com has a video of the phone up close that is a bit sharper than these pics - but obviously the same display...thanks for sharing...
here's some good ones. much better than my snap shots :lmao:

One said:
One said:
I was at Macworld all day and that iPhone is freakin' amazing. I'll post some video and pics after dinner.
:own3d:

another floor pic
engadget.com has a video of the phone up close that is a bit sharper than these pics - but obviously the same display...thanks for sharing...
here's some good ones. much better than my snap shots :lmao:
Any rumors around Macworld about potential 2nd generation features that they couldn't get into the first generation in time for the '07 release?

One said:
One said:
:P

another floor pic
here's some good ones. much better than my snap shots :shrug:
Any rumors around Macworld about potential 2nd generation features that they couldn't get into the first generation in time for the '07 release?
11 hours after announcement? i doubt it.

I put mine in my pocket all the time :banned:
That certainly sounds pretty sweet.

I put mine in my pocket all the time :thumbup:
That certainly sounds pretty sweet.
The phone's even got an equilibrium. When it is turned sideways it goes into landscape view.

Gotta wonder about the battery life too? If anything like the IPOD, you will be charging this sucker quite a bit.
I think I read 5 hours talk time.The concern I would have is the screen getting "greasy". If anyone has a Treo, you know what I mean. It appears to be an entirely flat surface which would be easier to clean...but it could look pretty crusty after a 20 minute call pressed up against the side of your face....
Apple went through numerous iterations of the glass surface, trying to find one that’s not too slick or too rough, or that shows grease and fingerprints too much. You still get finger streaks, but they’re relatively subtle and a quick wipe on your sleeve takes care of them.
LINKThe virtual QWERTY keys and the slow EDGE network are the only consistent gripes of the device. I noticed Apple people giving demos yesterday would hit the wrong key a lot.

Gotta wonder about the battery life too? If anything like the IPOD, you will be charging this sucker quite a bit.
I think I read 5 hours talk time.The concern I would have is the screen getting "greasy". If anyone has a Treo, you know what I mean. It appears to be an entirely flat surface which would be easier to clean...but it could look pretty crusty after a 20 minute call pressed up against the side of your face....
Apple went through numerous iterations of the glass surface, trying to find one that’s not too slick or too rough, or that shows grease and fingerprints too much. You still get finger streaks, but they’re relatively subtle and a quick wipe on your sleeve takes care of them.
LINKThe virtual QWERTY keys and the slow EDGE network are the only consistent gripes of the device. I noticed Apple people giving demos yesterday would hit the wrong key a lot.
Suprised these are not UMTS capable. Its is the newer faster network.

The more I look over the feature list of this phone the more I realize I'm gonna have to get one. Absolutely amazing device. Once they up it to 12-16GB and incorporate a 2+ Megapizel video/cam (likely in next iteration) this wil be the first TRUE convergence device.

As it is now.... unreal. The more I show/tell people about this the more they are blown away by it.... The pricepoint will be a barrier to mass acceptance ($299-349 would be the sweet spot IMHO) they will still sell a ####load of these things.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 09:15 AM' post='6181341']

The phone's even got an equilibrium. When it is turned sideways it goes into landscape view.
My brother's digital camera (Digital ELPH) has this feature....it's a VERY cool feature.
My watch has a similar feature -- the backlight comes on automatically if there's no ambient light and you tilt the watch face toward your line of sight (say, about 40 degrees off parallel to the ground). It works reliably.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:15 AM' post='6181337']The more I look over the feature list of this phone the more I realize I'm gonna have to get one. Absolutely amazing device. Once they up it to 12-16GB and incorporate a 2+ Megapizel video/cam (likely in next iteration) this wil be the first TRUE convergence device. As it is now.... unreal. The more I show/tell people about this the more they are blown away by it.... The pricepoint will be a barrier to mass acceptance ($299-349 would be the sweet spot IMHO) they will still sell a ####load of these things.
This is a great point. Put a decent resolution phone into this thing and that's just awesome how many things it can do.

The price to get one is steep but how much will it cost on a monthly basis once you add in the internet connectivity and any other charges for additional services. Any one have all the gadgets on their phone now that can tell me what it costs? All I do is make phone calls on mine and I already pay $60 a month.

' date='Jan 10 2007, 09:15 AM' post='6181337'] The more I look over the feature list of this phone the more I realize I'm gonna have to get one. Absolutely amazing device. Once they up it to 12-16GB and incorporate a 2+ Megapizel video/cam (likely in next iteration) this wil be the first TRUE convergence device.

As it is now.... unreal. The more I show/tell people about this the more they are blown away by it.... The pricepoint will be a barrier to mass acceptance ($299-349 would be the sweet spot IMHO) they will still sell a ####load of these things.
The iPhone does have a 2MP camera integrated into it. Not sure if it has any video cam modes, though.http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/

My top 5 favorite features in this phone that nobody seems to be talking about:

1) Conference Calls - Merge/break calls down extremely easily.

2) Visual Voicemail - See all voicemails listed... no more having to listen through all VM to get to the one you want. Treated like email... but with voice.

3) SMS Conversations : Tracks SMS convesations with one person on a single screen, much less clutter

4) 2 Megapixel Camera - Just realized it had a 2MP Digital camera built in..... sweet! Video would be nice?

5) Widgets - Anyone who's used OSX likely has grown to love em - Having access to them on a phone is :confused: -Weather, Scores, Stock Quotes, News, etc... at your fingertips

' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:15 AM' post='6181337']The more I look over the feature list of this phone the more I realize I'm gonna have to get one. Absolutely amazing device. Once they up it to 12-16GB and incorporate a 2+ Megapizel video/cam (likely in next iteration) this wil be the first TRUE convergence device. As it is now.... unreal. The more I show/tell people about this the more they are blown away by it.... The pricepoint will be a barrier to mass acceptance ($299-349 would be the sweet spot IMHO) they will still sell a ####load of these things.
FWIW, Sandisk released a 32 GB flash hard drive the other day for $650. This device does have a 2 MP camera...though the way I understand it, the problem is the focal point/length as opposed to the actual lens (i.e. they could put a higher MP camera in the thing, but it wouldn't be any better). They also need to improve the battery. In any case, this device is pretty clearly the future...when they get the HD up to that 32GB, a battery that can last for 2 days, 3G, and come up with the technology to make the keyboard "feelable" (which is the other big grip from the Blackberry users).

Users who are viewing this thread