What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (4 Viewers)

Mods have repeatedly stated that they would lock the thread if the slap fights continued. They finally did it.

Let's keep this thread slap free :mellow:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-1...g-update1-.html

I agree that they will likely use their 4G rollout as an excuse to add tiers to their data plans. This will allow them to hedge against their worst-case utilization scenarios in much the same way that AT&T tied iPhone tethering directly to the tiered plans.
Nice. So this would probably mean that Sprint will not be to far behind or is the extra $10 for the 4g devices their way of covering the costs of using more data?
I think all the mobile providers will move in this direction in the short term because they're scared of the explosive growth rate of mobile internet. My hope is that one of the providers will see an unlimited plan as a competitive advantage and will continue to offer it.Eventually, I feel like these caps will go away but it will take several years to build/redeploy enough infrastructure to properly support mobile data at the rate it is growing.

I have a BS in computer engineering, master's level work in electrical engineering, and worked in industry as a software engineer programming and field testing cellular radios.
I would have never guessed that you worked as a software engineer....good to know. Nor the cell radio part after you laughed at me for the comments I made about sony and the semi-conductors a few threads back.

I have a BS in computer engineering, master's level work in electrical engineering, and worked in industry as a software engineer programming and field testing cellular radios.
I would have never guessed that you worked as a software engineer....good to know. Nor the cell radio part after you laughed at me for the comments I made about sony and the semi-conductors a few threads back.
He's also a big time lawyer, doctor, etc.

He's also a big time lawyer, doctor, etc.
Fixed :mellow:

I don't know what Sony comment you're referring to. :mellow: (You don't need to hyphenate "semiconductor").I don't normally try to be smart guy on these boards. Plenty of other folks here have that shtick nailed and do it much better than I do. :lmao:

I don't know what Sony comment you're referring to. :cry: (You don't need to hyphenate "semiconductor").I don't normally try to be smart guy on these boards. Plenty of other folks here have that shtick nailed and do it much better than I do. :shrug:
You were asking me what innovations were if I didn't think Apple's multitouch was. I listed Sony's work...you laughed :shrug:

I think tiered data plans is going to be a way of life. A Verizon CEO already went on the record saying it's only a matter of time (I'll try to find a link). Verizon will try to hold out as long as they can to look like the good guys in all this.

Sprint says they have no plans to go tiered, but they did add a $10 4G tax on the EVO. Even after the Sprint CEO flat out said 4G wouldn't cost more during the EVO announcement.

I think if anyone goes unlimited at no extra cost for the foreseeable future, it will be Tmobile, being in last place.

Regarding the iphone antenna issue, I really wish Apple would be more clear on this. In my strong (non RF engineer) opinion, this is a hardware issue (design issue, not a defect). My beef with Apple is their shifting stance on this tho.

-Software issue

-Maybe a hardware issue, don't hold it that way

-Not an issue, because all phones have this problem to some extent

-Software issue, patch upcoming

Huh?

This Fake Steve article is funny because it's true :cry:

Funny thing I noticed, my 3GS actually has the same reception issue when I hold it in the way that causes the issues on the iPhone 4.Leads me to believe it's more to do with os4 than the hardware itself.
Same here, just recreated the whole thing. Lost all bars when holding the bottom part of the phone with my palm, then gained all bars back as soon as I let go.

FWIW Verizon will eventually offer data tiers as well. They delayed going to the tiers in order to capitalize on AT&T's new policy change and to lure people to the droid X but it will happen sooner or later.
Link?
Verizon Wireless is holding onto to its unlimited data plan for smartphones just a little longer as it dukes it out with AT&T for more wireless smartphone subscribers.

Verizon on Wednesday introduced the updated Motorola Droid X, the latest version of the Google Android phone that Verizon has pitted against AT&T's iPhone. The new phone will go on sale starting July 15 for $200 with a $100 rebate.

During the press conference to introduce the new device, Executive Senior Vice President John Stratton emphasized the new device will come with a $30 unlimited data plan. While this plan is nothing new for Verizon, it comes a week after a Verizon executive said publicly the company will move toward usage-based billing on wireless data services.

The fact that Verizon is keeping this data plan is significant because AT&T, which tomorrow will begin selling the new iPhone 4, has eliminated its unlimited plan in lieu of a new two-tiered offer that caps monthly data usage. Now it looks like, Verizon is using AT&T's pricing shift as an opportunity to pick off consumers, who may be interested in the iPhone 4 but are scared off by AT&T's change in data plan.

Stratton tried to downplay the unlimited data pricing as simply business as usual.

"We have indicated that we will move to usage-based pricing eventually," he said in an interview after the press conference. "But we are still working out what that pricing will look like and what the levels should be. We haven't announced anything yet. For the meantime we are continuing to offer unlimited data plans."

He admitted that competition in the wireless market is fierce. And Verizon is always competing aggressively against all of its rivals, most notably AT&T.

"It's always crunch time for us in this industry," he said. "We are always competing aggressively. And we're always looking to raise the bar. With the Droid X we have the device to compete, and we have the network."

The Droid X launch comes on the eve of the much-anticipated iPhone 4. Apple and AT&T will begin selling the new iPhone 4, the fourth generation of iPhone, starting Thursday. Apple has said that it has taken more than 600,000 preorders for the device, and AT&T says that the latest version of the phone has gotten 10 times the response that last year's model got before it went on sale. Experts say the iPhone 4 could be the fastest selling iPhone yet.

'The iPhone effect'

This is great news for AT&T, the exclusive wireless operator for the iPhone. But it's bad news for every other wireless operator in the U.S. According to Sprint Nextel's chief financial officer, every wireless carrier in the U.S. except AT&T has--since 2007 when the iPhone first launched--seen a lag in sales at the end of June and in early July due to the "iPhone effect."

To combat this blip in sales, Verizon appears to be pulling out all the stops. Not only did Verizon launch the Droid X the day before the iPhone 4 goes on sale, but the company also announced it will keep its unlimited data plan and even alter its upgrade policy to allow any Verizon Wireless customers to upgrade to the new Droid X if their contract expires any time in 2010.

"That means that even if someone's contract expires at the end of December, they will still be able to upgrade to the Droid X immediately," Stratton said during the press conference launching the device on Wednesday.

Verizon's upgrade policy is similar to the one AT&T has put in place for its current iPhone subscribers. But unlike AT&T, Verizon is allowing any Verizon customer whose contract will end in 2010 to upgrade to the Droid. AT&T has limited this new upgrade policy only to iPhone customers.

But Verizon appears to be taking direct aim at AT&T by keeping its unlimited data plan for smartphone customers. As mentioned earlier, in late May, just before Apple unveiled the new iPhone 4, AT&T eliminated its smartphone data plans. Instead, new iPhone subscribers on AT&T will have will have a choice between two tiers of service that cap data usage at 200MB for $15 a month and 2GB for $25 a month. Existing iPhone and other smartphone customers can keep their unlimited data plans, even if they upgrade to the iPhone 4.

Last week, a Verizon executive said that Verizon Wireless would also eventually move toward usage-based billing. In an interview with Bloomberg's BusinessWeek, Verizon's CFO John Killian said, "We will probably need to change the design of our pricing where it will not be totally unlimited, flat rate."

Until recently, unlimited data plans for smartphones were standard practice in the wireless market. All the major wireless operators offered flat-rate, unlimited pricing for smartphones. AT&T and Verizon Wireless offered identically priced plans at $30 a month.

So far AT&T is the only carrier to change its pricing plan. And when it announced the change, there was a tremendous backlash from customers who were angry the company was capping usage. AT&T said that 97 percent of its customers use less than the 2GB cap each month. But experts say that data usage on wireless networks is increasing. And it's likely that in the future, many customers will exceed AT&T's caps.

"Most people won't have to worry about their usage much under current usage levels," Schwark Satyavolu, CEO of the Web site BillShrink, said in a recent interview about AT&T's data caps. "But you have to remember that the average usage has gone up 3.5 times in the past year and a half. So if things continue on that path, then these limits could be an issue in the future."

Droid v. iPhone

For now it looks like Verizon is happy to take advantage of a small window of opportunity to lure potential new iPhone 4 customers to the Droid X with a data plan that won't restrict their usage. Of course, Verizon executives say that it's not just price that will attract customers to the Droid X.

Verizon has always touted its network in attracting wireless customers. The company has a reputation for having a much more reliable network than AT&T, for example. And traditionally, it has gotten higher marks in customer service than carriers, such as Sprint Nextel.

But until the first Motorola Droid, it was seen as lacking compelling new devices. When the first Motorola Droid launched on Verizon's network last year, Stratton admitted the company was spending more on marketing than it ever had to promote a single device.

From a hardware perspective, the Droid X has some impressive features that would likely appeal to many consumers also considering the new iPhone 4. The Droid X has a 4.3-inch touchscreen, which is about the same size as the HTC EVO 4G, another Google Android phone sold by Sprint Nextel. The screen is actually bigger than the 3.5-inch screen on the new iPhone 4.

It also includes a new faster 1 GHz processor from Texas Instruments and comes with 8GB of internal memory that can expand to 40GB with a memory card. The Droid X has an 8-megapixel camera, compared to the iPhone 4's 5 megapixel camera. It captures 720p video with high-definition playback via HDMI. The only thing that seems to be missing is the front-facing camera that is on the iPhone 4.

On the software side, the Droid X, which uses Google's Android operating system, doesn't have as many apps as the iPhone. But many of the most popular iPhone apps are also available on all Android device. Plus, the new Droid X will have the latest version of Adobe Flashplayer 10.1, something that Apple refuses to include on the iPhone.

But if consumers are interested in getting an unlimited data plan with their smartphone, they may want to act sooner rather than later. If Android usage patterns and volumes mimic those of the iPhone, then Verizon and potentially other wireless operators will also adopt tiered pricing. And for Verizon customers, the question is not if the company will move in that direction, but when.
LINKYWIA

I think tiered data plans is going to be a way of life. A Verizon CEO already went on the record saying it's only a matter of time (I'll try to find a link). Verizon will try to hold out as long as they can to look like the good guys in all this.

Sprint says they have no plans to go tiered, but they did add a $10 4G tax on the EVO. Even after the Sprint CEO flat out said 4G wouldn't cost more during the EVO announcement.

I think if anyone goes unlimited at no extra cost for the foreseeable future, it will be Tmobile, being in last place.

Regarding the iphone antenna issue, I really wish Apple would be more clear on this. In my strong (non RF engineer) opinion, this is a hardware issue (design issue, not a defect). My beef with Apple is their shifting stance on this tho.

-Software issue

-Maybe a hardware issue, don't hold it that way

-Not an issue, because all phones have this problem to some extent

-Software issue, patch upcoming

Huh?

This Fake Steve article is funny because it's true :thumbup:
I agree with you wholeheartedly.Also, I wanted to apologize for earlier, as someone who used to speak in absolutes, and having been chided appropriately for I, I have become somewhat of a convert in that area, and have grown to dislike people who do the same as I used too.

Saying this (or any issue) is definitely one thing or another, without having props facts and all the info, is never a good idea. Speaking in a more hypothetical way as opposed to an absolute way tends to lead to more positive discussion.

With that said, my own anecdotal experience coupled with my naive optimism leads me to believe it is in fact a software issue.

My 3GS never had signal issues when I gripped it a certain way, but today of noticed myself going from 3-4 bars in 3G to going down to 1 bar if 3G, to 1 bar of E, to searching...

Then when I release my grip it slowly creeps back up. I finely difficult to believe this isn't related to the 4.0 software and it's failure to compensate properly for interference cause by human skin contacting th antenna.

Now it could certainly be a mix of hardware/software issues, by for my own sake as a future iPhone 4 owner, and for the sakes of everyone who just bought one, I hope not.

Also, I wanted to apologize for earlier, as someone who used to speak in absolutes, and having been chided appropriately for I, I have become somewhat of a convert in that area, and have grown to dislike people who do the same as I used too.Saying this (or any issue) is definitely one thing or another, without having props facts and all the info, is never a good idea. Speaking in a more hypothetical way as opposed to an absolute way tends to lead to more positive discussion.
:hot: No need to say sorry, I realize this is an internet message board, but I appreciate it. I've started to phrase things a bit differently also.

Funny thing I noticed, my 3GS actually has the same reception issue when I hold it in the way that causes the issues on the iPhone 4.Leads me to believe it's more to do with os4 than the hardware itself.
Same here, just recreated the whole thing. Lost all bars when holding the bottom part of the phone with my palm, then gained all bars back as soon as I let go.
Is this with no case? I'm not seeing this with mine, but I haven't tried removing the case.

Is anyone else having problems with the sound when using Facetime or video recorder? I tried Facetime with a friend of mine and he couldn't hear anything although during normal phone calls it was fine. I also tested a short video and the sound wasn't working either. I saw a few posts that mentioned the same thing on various message boards but wanted to see if any FBG's had the same issue.
Went to the Apple store yesterday and was told it was a software issue as a result of restoring from a backup rather than as a new phone. I was pretty sure that I did restore from a backup as I wanted to make sure all of my apps, contacts, settings were added so I went home and restored as a new phone, essentially wiping everything off completely. The Apple dude told me that my e-mail settings, contacts, etc. would be restored okay after I synced. :shrug: I checked the video after restoring as a new phone and am still having the same problem with the video not being able to pick up any sound. The sound recorder, making phone calls or anything else that uses the microphone works fine. I'm going back to the Apple store today to try and get them to replace the phone.

Is this with no case? I'm not seeing this with mine, but I haven't tried removing the case.
Caseless for me.I'm definitely surprised too, didn't expectto see such fluctuation.Would lime to test it on a 3GS without the 4.0 software as well.

What about those who went from the 3Gs and downloaded OS4? Is it worth the upgrade?
I've been debating this even before the rollout if IP4, and after playing around with the Mrs new IP4, I'm pretty sure I don't need to upgrade. The only thing I'm missing is the improved cameras and a faster chip. But I'm not a big camera use and I think my 3GS is plenty fast, so I'm struggling to find a reason to spend $200 for the upgrade. If I do decide to upgrade to IP4, it will certainly be after they do something about antenna/reception issue.
:cry: Both the Missus and I have the 3GS and think it's fine with os4. No plan to upgrade at all. Maybe next year if there is another one.

My phone still hasn't shipped. Site says it will ship by July 2nd. and that I should have it next week sometime. Cant wait to dump this 3G, it feels so slow and sluggish now.

I'll never understand why people clamor for the newest software upgrades.

I get that it might be resolving some issue from the past, but it's my belief that most new upgrades just bring more issues in the beginning.

I rarely will leap at anything until a few months after it's been released (software-wise, that is). I usually stay one version behind on all Windows releases and I won't upgrade my iphone OS until almost forced to...I just see no reason for it.

I'll never understand why people clamor for the newest software upgrades.I get that it might be resolving some issue from the past, but it's my belief that most new upgrades just bring more issues in the beginning.I rarely will leap at anything until a few months after it's been released (software-wise, that is). I usually stay one version behind on all Windows releases and I won't upgrade my iphone OS until almost forced to...I just see no reason for it.
:thumbup:

I'll never understand why people clamor for the newest software upgrades.I get that it might be resolving some issue from the past, but it's my belief that most new upgrades just bring more issues in the beginning.I rarely will leap at anything until a few months after it's been released (software-wise, that is). I usually stay one version behind on all Windows releases and I won't upgrade my iphone OS until almost forced to...I just see no reason for it.
So you have 3gs without the 4.0 software?Care to perform a test for me?Hold the phone in the same manner that problems have been arising for the iPhone 4, and let me know if you see a signal drop.It seems with my 3GS it's more when you touch he back/sides of the phone, but it's definitely there and I'm very curious to see if all 3GS are like that, or only those with the update

Caseless for me.I'm definitely surprised too, didn't expectto see such fluctuation.Would lime to test it on a 3GS without the 4.0 software as well.
OK, tried it without the case. No drop. And I do have OS4 on the 3GS.

Disco Stu said:
Harry Manback said:
Disco Stu said:
4x champ said:
Harry Manback said:
Yes it only happens without a case. That's good news for you. If you're looking at the phone, I had the lower left hand corner in the palm of my hand with my bottom three fingers wrapped around the lower right hand corner and I watched my bars disappear! I never noticed it prior to this announced issue so who's to say it wasn't happening to me before, but it doesn't just seem to be the new antenna on IP4. Maybe it is OS4? :lmao:

Disco Stu said:
Yes it only happens without a case. That's good news for you. If you're looking at the phone, I had the lower left hand corner in the palm of my hand with my bottom three fingers wrapped around the lower right hand corner and I watched my bars disappear! I never noticed it prior to this announced issue so who's to say it wasn't happening to me before, but it doesn't just seem to be the new antenna on IP4. Maybe it is OS4? :goodposting:
Yeah, I don't remember any such issues either, then again I never was looking for them.A little disappointed Stu didn't have a drop without his case though. :tinfoil:

Lehigh98 said:
Was going to post this in the other thread but looks like it was locked for some reason...I stopped into my local ATT store over lunch today and here’s what they told me:The ATT store will be opening its doors at 7:00am tomorrow and will have about 50 iPhones available on a first come, first served basis. Both 16GB and 32GB available but not sure how many of each. They will only sell one phone per person in line. I may drive by a little before 7:00 and I’ll just keep going if the line is already long. Looks like my next option is the preorders that reopen tomorrow but they’re not sure when the phones would be available and shipping.
Stopped by the store around 5-10 minutes before they opened and was 42nd in line, but turns out that they only had 37 phones. They said they may get more later in the day but wouldn't commit to numbers or how they would distribute. I'm going to stop by around lunchtime and see if they got more in and if not I'll just preorder.

Lehigh98 said:
Was going to post this in the other thread but looks like it was locked for some reason...I stopped into my local ATT store over lunch today and here’s what they told me:The ATT store will be opening its doors at 7:00am tomorrow and will have about 50 iPhones available on a first come, first served basis. Both 16GB and 32GB available but not sure how many of each. They will only sell one phone per person in line. I may drive by a little before 7:00 and I’ll just keep going if the line is already long. Looks like my next option is the preorders that reopen tomorrow but they’re not sure when the phones would be available and shipping.
Stopped by the store around 5-10 minutes before they opened and was 42nd in line, but turns out that they only had 37 phones. They said they may get more later in the day but wouldn't commit to numbers or how they would distribute. I'm going to stop by around lunchtime and see if they got more in and if not I'll just preorder.
Oof. I would've been hot.Why waste your time with those games? Just preorder it and sit back.

Probably because a pre-order takes 3 weeks (at least now it does) and you can potentially get it instantly.

Som people (myself especially) are real big on instant gratification.

Lehigh98 said:
Oof. I would've been hot.Why waste your time with those games? Just preorder it and sit back.
I preordered this morning, couldn't get it the first time.Was no skin off my back to do a drive by and hope to get lucky on my way to work this morning though.

Probably because a pre-order takes 3 weeks (at least now it does) and you can potentially get it instantly.Som people (myself especially) are real big on instant gratification.
A few more weeks doesn't matter much to me, that's why I just stopped by and didn't wait around.The physical store and website ordering are as of now both quoting orders will ship in 7-10 days.

Lehigh98 said:
I got to the store around 6 and there were about 40 people in front of me. They had 60 phones and were saying that there would be a shipment today with an unspecified number more. I'm pretty sure that everyone in line before the store opened got one.It might be worth a call to the store around the time FedEx normally delivers to ask if the shipment came in. They should have given you a raincheck or something.

Lehigh98 said:
I got to the store around 6 and there were about 40 people in front of me. They had 60 phones and were saying that there would be a shipment today with an unspecified number more. I'm pretty sure that everyone in line before the store opened got one.It might be worth a call to the store around the time FedEx normally delivers to ask if the shipment came in. They should have given you a raincheck or something.
They did say they would hand out the rainchecks for the phones arriving later after they processed all the available phone sales but I wasn't going to hang around that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry Manback said:
So, is the antennae issue limited to those using their left hands or not?I can see that almost unanimously those who upgraded from the 3G to the 4 are pleased. What about those who went from the 3Gs and downloaded OS4? Is it worth the upgrade?
I assume you are talking about upgrading a 3GS from a hardware stand point, not simply upgrading to the software, and if so my answer would be "it depends".I'm tempted to keep my 3GS and wait for next years model to come out, however I am upgrading mainly because I want the extra hard drive space. It's definitely faster and has a better camera/display etc, but from a software standpoint a 3GS with the 4.0 software is a huge improvement in an of itself (assuming they fix this antenna issue).Had anyone else tried reproducing the drop in bars on their 3GS running 4.0 software?
Yea, I have the 3Gs and already updated the software to OS4, so I am asking about how/if the iPhone4 is a significant enough upgrade over that. I guess if Radio Shack will give me $200 for the 3Gs it's probably worth it. Plus, being that they wont have enough phones in for a while, maybe Apple works out these issues in the mean time.

Harry Manback said:
So, is the antennae issue limited to those using their left hands or not?I can see that almost unanimously those who upgraded from the 3G to the 4 are pleased. What about those who went from the 3Gs and downloaded OS4? Is it worth the upgrade?
I assume you are talking about upgrading a 3GS from a hardware stand point, not simply upgrading to the software, and if so my answer would be "it depends".I'm tempted to keep my 3GS and wait for next years model to come out, however I am upgrading mainly because I want the extra hard drive space. It's definitely faster and has a better camera/display etc, but from a software standpoint a 3GS with the 4.0 software is a huge improvement in an of itself (assuming they fix this antenna issue).Had anyone else tried reproducing the drop in bars on their 3GS running 4.0 software?
Yea, I have the 3Gs and already updated the software to OS4, so I am asking about how/if the iPhone4 is a significant enough upgrade over that. I guess if Radio Shack will give me $200 for the 3Gs it's probably worth it. Plus, being that they wont have enough phones in for a while, maybe Apple works out these issues in the mean time.
Will they give you the $200 even if you don't buy an iPhone from them?

Harry Manback said:
Will they give you the $200 even if you don't buy an iPhone from them?
It's an exchange program, but I believe I can buy another product. They just wont give you cash.

Users who are viewing this thread