What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Decade’s WORST NFL Mock Draft — Pick by Pick (1 Viewer)

certificate

Footballguy
Offshoot of the decade's best thread, I decided to have a crack at the worst first round draft picks of the past decade.

1. Jamarcus Russel (Raiders). Some good options here, David Carr, Alex Smith, Courtney Brown... but Russel seems poised to outbust them.

2. Charles Rogers (Lions). Definition of a bust. Currently "Blowin ey'ey day."

3. Joey Harrington (Lions). Old Joey Blue Skies with his 69.4 career QB rating is a shoe in for the 3 slot.

4. Peter Warrick (Bengals). Not horrible, had injuries, nowhere near worth a 4th overall pick.

5. A.J. Hawk (Packers). Like the #4 pick, not horrible, but nowhere near worth the 5th overall pick. Quentin Jammer could have just as easily filled this spot.

6. Adam "PacMan" Jones (Titans). Flashes of talent, but overshadowed by horrible character. Out of the league in 4 years. Most recently passed on by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

7. Troy Williamson (Vikings). Too early to put Heyward-Bey in this slot. Williamson is a WR who can't catch.

8. David Terrell (Bears). 128 total catches and basically out of the league in 4 years...

9. Reggie Williams (Jaguars). 189 total catches and out of the league in 5 years....

10. Mike Williams (Lions). Gotta be one of the biggest busts ever. 44 career catches and 2 tds at the 10th overall pick. Ouch.

11. Ron Dayne (Giants). Never topped the 770 yard mark, 3.8 career average.

12. Wendell Bryant (Cards). 3 year career, 39 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

13. Donte Stallworth (Saints). Never cracked 1000 yards, constantly injured, legal troubles. Not the worst on the list, but definitely a bust at 13.

14. Kenyatta Walker (Bucs). Mr Penalties, managed a 5 year NFL career before being signed in the CFL.

15. Jerome McDougle (Eagles). 37 tackles, 3 sacks in his not very distinguished career. The Eagles traded up to scoop him while the Giants had to settle for Osi Umenyoira.

16. William Green (Browns). Willie Green, flashes of brilliance followed by injuries and legal problems. Classic case of wasted talent...

17. David Pollack (Bengals). A freak neck injury cut short Pollack's career, so not a bust in the traditional sense, but a bust nevertheless.

18. T.J. Duckett (Falcons). A very Ron Dayne-esque career. 3.9 per carry, 779 yards in his best season....

19. Kyle Boller (Ravens). 70.9 Career QB rating and a < 1 TD/INT ratio, but he can throw a ball 70 yards from his knees, so there's that....

20. George Foster (Broncos). Bust of a tackle, managed to work his way out of the league in 5 years.

21. Sylvester Morris (Chiefs). Who? As a rookie, 38 catches for 678 yards. After his rookie season he never caught another pass in the NFL.

22. J.P. Losman (Bills). 75 career QB rating, < 1 TD/INT ratio, star of the Las Vegas Outlaws.

23. Rashard Anderson (Panthers). 1 year career before a substance abuse suspension caught up to him.

24. Willie Middlebrooks (Denver). Only managed 2 career starts, currently playing in the CFL. Another off-the-field issues guy.

25. Freddie Mitchell (Eagles). The Sultan of Slot, First Down Freddie, Fourth Down Freddie, Hollywood, 4th and 26 Freddie, Puppetmaster, and FredEx. etc. 90 career receptions, out of the league.

26. Erik Flowers (Bills). 6 Career starts, 37 career tackles, 5 sacks.

27. Mike Rumph (49ers). Managed a season's worth of starts, bounced around the league a few years. Got burned. A lot.

28. Andre Woolfolk (Titans). 4 year career, 11 starts. Not what you hope for at #28.

29. R. Jay Soward (Jaguars). 1 year career, 14 catches. Played 2 more in the CFL.

30. Sammy Davis (Chargers). Bounced around the league for 5 years, had a couple seasons worth of starts. Not the worst player on the list, but #30 was surprisingly strong.

31. Rashaun Woods (49ers). Trung Canidate was saved by this bust's 1 year 7 reception career.

32. Patrick Ramsey (Redskins). Very similar stats to Losman. 74.9 career rating, 35tds 30INTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very qb and wr heavy.

One of the biggest busts ever was Demetrius Underwood. Never played a down with the Vikings due to his mental state.

I also thought Ryan Leaf was a bigger bust than Charles Rogers.

I tend to prefer Matt Jones for the 21 slot. He wasted talent. Morris realized it...until he was cut down by knee injuries not of his doing. Jones has put up more than 3 times the stats of Morris, though. I guess it's what you're going for here -- pure statistical non-performance or squandering of talent.

I tend to prefer Matt Jones for the 21 slot. He wasted talent. Morris realized it...until he was cut down by knee injuries not of his doing. Jones has put up more than 3 times the stats of Morris, though. I guess it's what you're going for here -- pure statistical non-performance or squandering of talent.
Yeah that's pretty much it... the value of the draft pick vs. the return on investment in terms of performance. Obviously guys like Pollack and Morris aren't at fault, but they still turned out to be a massive waste of a pick.

Yeah that's pretty much it... the value of the draft pick vs. the return on investment in terms of performance. Obviously guys like Pollack and Morris aren't at fault, but they still turned out to be a massive waste of a pick.
That kind of undermines your Mike Williams argument, though. If we're looking at it that way, only performance with the team drafting the player should really count unless the player was subsequently traded. Even then, only the value of the trade should be considered.

Where's OT Mike Williams? I think he is easily worse then Peter Warrick.
I seriously considered him, but he's started 8 games for the Redskins this year, so maybe the jury is still a little bit out.
Yea but the guy was a colossal bust, was out of the league for 3 years and now is starting on a team that has half there oline hurt. I don't know, i obviously can't stand the guy.

While Duckett certainly wasn't great, how is he a bigger bust than Erasmus James, Minnesota, 2005 draft? At least Duckett was part of Dunn-Vick-Duckett that lead the league in team rushing for 2-3 years.

That kind of undermines your Mike Williams argument, though. If we're looking at it that way, only performance with the team drafting the player should really count unless the player was subsequently traded. Even then, only the value of the trade should be considered.
I guess... I wasn't really looking at it too deeply from the individual team's viewpoint, just an overall how high was he drafted vs. what did he do in the league thing. Williams might be a better pick there though, come to think of it.

I'm not sure who was a worse pick at 26 for the Bills, John Mcargo or Erik Flowers. I think i give the edge to Mccargo because he shouldn't have been a first round pick and we traded up to get him.

Minny also picked Erasmus James in the 1st of the same draft they took Troy Williamson.

The other candidates for No. 5 include Quentin Jammer as the OP mentioned and Cadillac Williams.

Cadillac had that really nice rookie year, but has been mediocre and/or hurt since.

The other candidates for No. 5 include Quentin Jammer as the OP mentioned and Cadillac Williams.Cadillac had that really nice rookie year, but has been mediocre and/or hurt since.
Just a few:Curtis Enis, Penn State, RBMatt Leinart, Southern California, QBChris Perry, Michigan, RBCourtney Brown, Penn State, DEWilliam Green, Boston College, RBMike Williams, Southern California, WR Kenechi Udeze, Southern California, DEDewayne Robertson, Kentucky, DTHell, I would even put Hawk's teammates, Gholston and Bobby Carpenter down as bigger disappointments than Hawk.

The other candidates for No. 5 include Quentin Jammer as the OP mentioned and Cadillac Williams.Cadillac had that really nice rookie year, but has been mediocre and/or hurt since.
Just a few:Curtis Enis, Penn State, RBMatt Leinart, Southern California, QBChris Perry, Michigan, RBCourtney Brown, Penn State, DEWilliam Green, Boston College, RBMike Williams, Southern California, WR Kenechi Udeze, Southern California, DEDewayne Robertson, Kentucky, DTHell, I would even put Hawk's teammates, Gholston and Booby Carpenter down as bigger disappointments than Hawk.
I don't think any of those guys are #5 picks.

The other candidates for No. 5 include Quentin Jammer as the OP mentioned and Cadillac Williams.

Cadillac had that really nice rookie year, but has been mediocre and/or hurt since.
Just a few:Curtis Enis, Penn State, RB - 5th

Matt Leinart, Southern California, QB - 10th

Chris Perry, Michigan, RB - 14th

Courtney Brown, Penn State, DE - 1st

William Green, Boston College, RB - 16th

Mike Williams, Southern California, WR - 10th

Kenechi Udeze, Southern California, DE - 20th

Dewayne Robertson, Kentucky, DT - 4th

Hell, I would even put Hawk's teammates, Gholston(6th) and Booby Carpenter(18th) down as bigger disappointments than Hawk.
wrong.

Hell, I would even put Hawk's teammates, Gholston(6th) and Booby Carpenter(18th) down as bigger disappointments than Hawk.
wrong.
Maybe you missed it.It is pick by pick this decade so someone has to worse than Hawk, picked 5th in the draft this decade.

Which of your guys fit that paradigm?

wrong.
Maybe you missed it.It is pick by pick this decade so someone has to worse than Hawk, picked 5th in the draft this decade.

Which of your guys fit that paradigm?
Yeah, maybe I did miss it. :excited: :no:

I figured that I'd take some heat for the Hawk pick. Here are the other options:

5 Kansas City Chiefs Glenn Dorsey Defensive tackle LSU

5 Arizona Cardinals Brown, Levi Brown Offensive Tackle Penn State

5 Green Bay Packers A. J. Hawk Linebacker Ohio State

5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams Running back Auburn

5 Washington Redskins Sean Taylor Free safety Miami (FL)

5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman Cornerback Kansas State

5 San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer Cornerback Texas

5 San Diego Chargers (from Atlanta)[5] Tomlinson, LaDainianLaDainian Tomlinson† Running Back Texas Christian

5 Baltimore Ravens (from Atlanta) Jamal Lewis Running Back Tennessee

Hawk/Jammer look like the picks to me. IMO Jammer has done more though, perhaps only because he's been in the league longer.

Alright, let me reset this.

2000: Jamal Lewis

2001: Ladanian Tomlinson

2002: Quentin Jammer

2003: Terrence Newman

2004: Sean Taylor

2005: Cadillac Williams

2006: A.J. Hawk

2007: Levi Brown

2008: Glenn Dorsey

2009: Mark Sanchez

So, that's pretty tough company. I don't include Seam Taylor. He was a great player while he was alive, but who knows what could have happened. Brown and Dorsey are both solid and the book's still out on Sanchez. I would still put him above Caddy, but that's one hell of a list.

I figured that I'd take some heat for the Hawk pick. Here are the other options:5 Kansas City Chiefs Glenn Dorsey Defensive tackle LSU5 Arizona Cardinals Brown, Levi Brown Offensive Tackle Penn State5 Green Bay Packers A. J. Hawk Linebacker Ohio State5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams Running back Auburn5 Washington Redskins Sean Taylor Free safety Miami (FL)5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman Cornerback Kansas State5 San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer Cornerback Texas5 San Diego Chargers (from Atlanta)[5] Tomlinson, LaDainianLaDainian Tomlinson† Running Back Texas Christian5 Baltimore Ravens (from Atlanta) Jamal Lewis Running Back TennesseeHawk/Jammer look like the picks to me. IMO Jammer has done more though, perhaps only because he's been in the league longer.
It is a pretty good group.I hate to penalize a guy for injury, and he has come back strong, but based solely on production on the field for how long he's been in the league, Cadillac has been a disappointment.

I think Williams and Hawk have done more than Jammer. I think he's the guy at 5. The 5 pick is a pretty solid one the last decade, though.

I figured that I'd take some heat for the Hawk pick. Here are the other options:5 Kansas City Chiefs Glenn Dorsey Defensive tackle LSU5 Arizona Cardinals Brown, Levi Brown Offensive Tackle Penn State5 Green Bay Packers A. J. Hawk Linebacker Ohio State5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams Running back Auburn5 Washington Redskins Sean Taylor Free safety Miami (FL)5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman Cornerback Kansas State5 San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer Cornerback Texas5 San Diego Chargers (from Atlanta)[5] Tomlinson, LaDainianLaDainian Tomlinson† Running Back Texas Christian5 Baltimore Ravens (from Atlanta) Jamal Lewis Running Back TennesseeHawk/Jammer look like the picks to me. IMO Jammer has done more though, perhaps only because he's been in the league longer.
It is a pretty good group.I hate to penalize a guy for injury, and he has come back strong, but based solely on production on the field for how long he's been in the league, Cadillac has been a disappointment.
You can certainly make the argument for Caddy based on my critera (value alone). Cadillac had a year of excellence, a year of mediocrity, and two years where he might as well not have showed up. Hawk has had multiple years of consistent mediocrity.

Donte Stallworth is not a bust.

Then I looked through all the pick #13s. Man, each one is a pro bowler or potentially so (Stewart, Orakpo) except for Stallworth.

Crazy. Pick 13 is the luckiest pick.

Donte Stallworth is not a bust.Then I looked through all the pick #13s. Man, each one is a pro bowler or potentially so (Stewart, Orakpo) except for Stallworth.Crazy. Pick 13 is the luckiest pick.
Yup, #30 aint bad either:30 Tennessee Titans Kenny Britt Wide receiver 30 New York Jets Dustin Keller Tight end 30 San Diego Chargers Davis, Craig Wide Receiver 30 Indianapolis Colts Joseph Addai Running back 30 Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller Tight End 30 Detroit Lions Kevin Jones Running back 30 San Diego Chargers Sammy Davis Cornerback 30 Pittsburgh Steelers Kendall Simmons Guard 30 Indianapolis Colts ] Wayne, Reggie Wide Receiver 30 Tennessee Titans Keith Bulluck Linebacker Craig "Bust"er Davis is certainly headed in the bust direction, but it's a little early to say for sure.

"6. Adam "PacMan" Jones (Titans). Flashes of talent, but overshadowed by horrible character. Out of the league in 4 years. Most recently passed on by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers." --->>> No way, now how. At least you can say this guy scored some TD's and made some plays in his short time. He had an impact, albeit a very brief and troublesome one.

The Saints' DT Johnathan Sullivan, who went at #6 in the 2003 1st round, and was the result of a trade of picks that went for Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace, surely belongs on this list.

He got 1.5 sacks in 3 years.

He was caught eating a hamburger on the sidelines one time. Seriously.

Offshoot of the decade's best thread, I decided to have a crack at the worst first round draft picks of the past decade.

23. Rashard Anderson (Jaguars). 1 year career before a substance abuse suspension caught up to him.
Rashard Anderson was drafted by the Panthers, not the Jags. The Jags have enough busts on this list.

I would go with Jammer over Hawk at No. 5. He had a very good rookie year, and though his tackle numbers have gone down each season (though this year will be higher than last year), he has been solid. Not great, maybe not worthy of No. 5, but certainly not the worst No. 5 of the decade.

I would put Caddy ahead of him -- even with the injury problems. Averages less than 4 ypc for career and just over three TDs per season -- not stellar.

Jammer hasn't been bad, really ... has started pretty much his entire career and put up decent numbers, but he's not as good as teammate Antonio Cromartie, and when you're a DB selected in the top five you need to have it all. He hasn't.

I would probably put Caddy atop this group, followed by Jammer then Hawk.

The 5 pick has been pretty solid for the decade, though.

Cool list, but another vote against Warrick. He was arguably the Bengals best player for a little while. That sets him apart from just about everybody else on this list. As others have said, Mike Williams should be it and honestly I would take Warrick about others as well.

Angus82 said:
Avery said:
Angus82 said:
I haven't done the research but have to imagine there is someone worse than Hawk at 5.
In 2004, the 'skins drafted Safety Sean Taylor. From what I understand he was worthless against the shotgun.
:thumbdown:"Tasteless" isn't strong enough a word. That's just reprehensible and that's coming from a Giants fan.
You can't be for real. Football is ruled by thugs but it is offensive to comment on the lifestyle. I know, he was a nice guy and was just misunderstood. Reminds of an Eagles QB that I've heard about.
He was shot to death protecting his wife and daughter in a home robbery. Nothing to do with Vick or being a "thug."

What a shame, Patrick Ramsey. Shell-shocked after that year with that idiot Spurrier, but he could chuck it man.

I thought Rashaun Woods would be real good

Users who are viewing this thread