What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Eagles will win the Super Bowl this year (1 Viewer)

TheWick said:
jurb26 said:
The Skins are going to be much better than people are giving them credit for.

I do like the Eagles on paper but this teams success is going to be tied to McNabb's health IMO and that is a slippery slope anymore.
What makes you say this? This Zorn guy has lose the team written all over him
Haynesworth

Likely. :goodposting:But for what it's worth, Brown is the only guy out of the three to even appear on either redraft or dynasty staff rankings for top 87 WRs. (He is only ranked at all by one staffer and that's in redraft). So apparently I'm not the only one with low opinions of those guys.
What do fantasy rankings have to do with true life NFL value, especially when discussing non-starters? If anything, the fantasy values can help substantiate the claim of depth because they can (and do) use the different players in different roles.

travdogg said:
Gopher State said:
I personally don't see the Eagles making the playoffs:

Johnson is what made the Eagles D, without him they slip in this area(by a lot)

Westbrook is a big ????, some say the rookie will fill in, I don't know about that, Westy makes the Eagles go

The Eagles WR's are ???, will Jackson have a 2nd year slump, will the rookie meet the hype, not as good at wr as people think imo.

The G-men flat out have the best D and running game, two things that win games when you need them, they remind me of the Ravens when they won the superbowl. People are not giving much credit to WR's Hixon, Smith, and Nicks, they be fine for a power running team. Manning has won a SB, McNabb has not, experience at QB, the edge goes to the G-men.

If Westy comes out blazing, I change my opinion, but I think he misses to much time for the Eagles to contend.

Eagles will put a lot of FF points up, but when it comes to NFL football, I think they come up short.
I can't really agree with that at all.Manning has experience but McNabb doesn't? I think the majority of NFL teams would rather have McNabb than Eli and McNabb has proven far more in his career than Manning has.

Also, you think the Eagles WR's have question marks, but the Giants WR's are fine? I think Jackson(by a wide margin) and Curtis are both better than any WR on the Giants roster. Obviously they are in different offenses, but that fact is the Eagles can beat teams through the air, I don't see any reason to believe the Giants can.

You may very well be right about the Giants running game(I disagree about the defense) but still, where did that get them last year? They lost to Philly twice and barely won when they played early in the year when the Eagles were floundering and the Giants were apparently peaking.

I guess what I'm getting at is right now I don't think there is a more overrated team in the NFL than the New York Giants.
The Giants receivers are better than people think. They are all solid and ALL better than Toomer. Toomer leaving is a big plus for this team as he was blanketed with a safety. Hixon is better than people think as well. He dropped the wide open pass against the Eagles that was terrible, but outside of that he played very well.The Giants defense is FAR better talent wise this year, but I agree losing Spags could hurt.

The way the teams are put together, I would much rather have the Giants squad over the Eagles because power running and defense should win that division and the Giants are much better in both areas compared to the Eagles. The Eagles can throw the ball better, but that is their only advantage and they better hope that the weather makes that conducive to have a chance. Let's also understand that Westy is an elite back that makes the first guy miss all the time, but he is showing signs of slowing down and that slide will hurt the offense a lot.

This team is absolutely loaded. They had a nice draft nabbing Maclin and McCoy. Add in the key acquisitions of Jason Peters and Ellis Hobbs, a healthy Kevin Curtis, the Andrews brothers on the right side of the O-line, and a year of experience under DeSean Jackson's belt. All the pieces are in place for Philly.The team does need to overcome Jim Johnson's absence as he battles cancer. That's a huge blow to the defense.But the division looks down to me. The Skins aren't likely to contend. The Giants will have struggles in their receiving corps which could hurt their chances. The Cowboys are the wild card in the equation. Nobody can predict how the offense will fare without Owens. All in all, I expect the Eagles to win the East rather handily, and they could have home field advantage if everything breaks right. Philly's offense should be a total nightmare for opposing teams, and that unit will carry them to the championship this year.Andy Reid finally gets the Iggle fans off his rather large back by winning Super Bowl XLIV in Miami. :lmao:
Living in Philly I hear this every single year from a lot of Iggles fans. Then the annual rollercoaster ride starts. Lose a game or two they were supposed to win and 'We Suk!", "_____ has to go!". Then they win a few games and look really good and it's Super Bowl bound again. Then we all know what happens in January. I think the ups & downs of the team & fans are why sports radio is so big in this city. Perhaps its the same in other cities too? I dunno.The question marks other teams have (losing TO and canty, losing spagnola, burress & ward, can jason campbell be a big time qb) etc are so much bigger than the ones their team has (two new offensive tackles who despite their great reputations gave up over 20 sacks combined last season compared to 2 given up by the OTs they lost, loss of team's spiritual leader, injury to their most important player, jim johnson's health, etc) and they have selective amnesia (Giants and Redskins have both added a game-changing defensive lineman that didn't play for them last season, most iggles fans will admit they were 'lucky' to even make the playoffs, were in an incredibly close game vs minny that they were supposed to win hands down until one big incredible play by westbrook, washington with nothing to play for BEAT them in a must win game last december, the defense lost the NFC championship game but they dont seem to have addressed that in the offseason, maclin is now in an incredibly more complex offense than the one he had in college yet they assume he'll just show up and play like jackson did last season, how will defense fair without jim johnson's genius brewing up defensive game plans each week, an unhappy starting cb whose probably pis$ed they gave mcnabb more $ but not him, who knows which akers will show up, mcccoy won't see the field much if he can't read nfl blitz packages etc). Remember how awesome Winston Justice was going to be? I'm not saying the Iggles have no chance, because they have a greally good shot - it's just not the slam dunk some of their fans present it to be. It's every fans right to be enthusiastic, but acting as if it's a guaranteed thing (and forgetting how they say basically the same things every season only to be proven wrong) is amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ripleys said:
Not sure how anyone can say the Skins, or anyone else in this division, is out of the running. Look at how close these teams played each other in the division last year-Giants 4-2 (beat Skins, Skins, Cowboys, Eagles)Skins 3-3 (beat Eagles, Eagles, Cowboys)Cowboys 3-3 (beat Giants, Skins, Eagles)Eagles 2-4 (beat Giants, Cowboys)And when you look at off-season improvements, I think most would have to admit the Eagles and Redskins made the most improvements (and suffered the fewest losses)
The Giants only player loss is Plax and he was out at the end of the year. But the Giants get Osi back which is huge when you add in all the defensive additions. They also will have Hixon (24) as a starter for the first time going into teh year, Steve Smith (24) is very solid and reliable, they added Nicks (21) and Barden (for the end zone). Let's also not forget that Manningham (23) lost his year to injury and Moss (25) while playing sparingly didn't drop a pass all year and showed some of the flash they were hopeful for when they drafted him. Finally, SB hero Tyree is back. While he may not be that helpful to the passing game, he is a ST standout.They also added a pass catching TE in Travis beckum. This has nothing to do with being a Giant fan, but if the Giants stay healthy, they will win the division even with the additions the Eagles made. People are looking for flaws in the Giants team, but they are stacked. They have one Achilles heal and that is the depth on the OL and backup QB.I would be the first to say that Giants would struggle if I thought that...this is not a homer write-up, it is what I believe. My 2nd favorite team in the Dolphins and I beleive they may be slightly better this year, but their record most assuredly won't be.I also believe that Haynesworth will help the Skins a lot. Having a healthy Romo makes the Cowboys better and the good additions for the Eagles make them better, but Westbrook is critical to them.This division is without question, the best in football.

This team is absolutely loaded. They had a nice draft nabbing Maclin and McCoy. Add in the key acquisitions of Jason Peters and Ellis Hobbs, a healthy Kevin Curtis, the Andrews brothers on the right side of the O-line, and a year of experience under DeSean Jackson's belt. All the pieces are in place for Philly.The team does need to overcome Jim Johnson's absence as he battles cancer. That's a huge blow to the defense.But the division looks down to me. The Skins aren't likely to contend. The Giants will have struggles in their receiving corps which could hurt their chances. The Cowboys are the wild card in the equation. Nobody can predict how the offense will fare without Owens. All in all, I expect the Eagles to win the East rather handily, and they could have home field advantage if everything breaks right. Philly's offense should be a total nightmare for opposing teams, and that unit will carry them to the championship this year.Andy Reid finally gets the Iggle fans off his rather large back by winning Super Bowl XLIV in Miami. :shrug:
Living in Philly I hear this every single year from a lot of Iggles fans. Then the annual rollercoaster ride starts. Lose a game or two they were supposed to win and 'We Suk!", "_____ has to go!". Then they win a few games and look really good and it's Super Bowl bound again. Then we all know what happens in January. I think the ups & downs of the team & fans are why sports radio is so big in this city. Perhaps its the same in other cities too? I dunno.The question marks other teams have (losing TO and canty, losing spagnola, burress & ward, can jason campbell be a big time qb) etc are so much bigger than the ones their team has (two new offensive tackles who despite their great reputations gave up over 20 sacks combined last season compared to 2 given up by the OTs they lost, loss of team's spiritual leader, injury to their most important player, jim johnson's health, etc) and they have selective amnesia (Giants and Redskins have both added a game-changing defensive lineman that didn't play for them last season, most iggles fans will admit they were 'lucky' to even make the playoffs, were in an incredibly close game vs minny that they were supposed to win hands down until one big incredible play by westbrook, washington with nothing to play for BEAT them in a must win game last december, the defense lost the NFC championship game but they dont seem to have addressed that in the offseason, maclin is now in an incredibly more complex offense than the one he had in college yet they assume he'll just show up and play like jackson did last season, how will defense fair without jim johnson's genius brewing up defensive game plans each week, an unhappy starting cb whose probably pis$ed they gave mcnabb more $ but not him, who knows which akers will show up, mcccoy won't see the field much if he can't read nfl blitz packages etc). Remember how awesome Winston Justice was going to be? I'm not saying the Iggles have no chance, because they have a greally good shot - it's just not the slam dunk some of their fans present it to be. It's every fans right to be enthusiastic, but acting as if it's a guaranteed thing (and forgetting how they say basically the same things every season only to be proven wrong) is amusing.
There were some good points made in this post :thumbup:

This division is without question, the best in football.
The most over-used and flawed statement on this board!I can think of 2 divisions I rank higher, with a 3rd that is a possibility. It's a debatable subject, but there is no concrete evidence that supports your argument. Only 2 teams made the playoffs in that division this past year. There were a few others that did the same.

No doubt that the NFC east is going to be a beast. I am a Giants fan so I am a bit biased but I understand why Philly is getting a lot of love. The loss of Spags will hurt the Giants defense but I think that beefing up the defensive line will overcome his loss. I know the WR’s are a question mark for the Giants but I think this could be a blessing in disguise. I expect Eli to spread the ball around in the passing game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Panthers make a run at the Superbowl this year. I know Jake had a horrible game against the Cardinals but I think he will bounce back and be efficient (not great). The have a good offensive line, great running game and a big time threat at WR. The defense needs to improve but has the potential to do so

I know the WR’s are a question mark for the Giants but I think this could be a blessing in disguise. I expect Eli to spread the ball around in the passing game.
If Eli looked even close to mediocre without Plaxico, I probably would have agreed with you.

The Giants only player loss is Plax and he was out at the end of the year. But the Giants get Osi back which is huge when you add in all the defensive additions. They also will have Hixon (24) as a starter for the first time going into teh year, Steve Smith (24) is very solid and reliable, they added Nicks (21) and Barden (for the end zone). Let's also not forget that Manningham (23) lost his year to injury and Moss (25) while playing sparingly didn't drop a pass all year and showed some of the flash they were hopeful for when they drafted him. Finally, SB hero Tyree is back. While he may not be that helpful to the passing game, he is a ST standout.They also added a pass catching TE in Travis beckum. This has nothing to do with being a Giant fan, but if the Giants stay healthy, they will win the division even with the additions the Eagles made. People are looking for flaws in the Giants team, but they are stacked. They have one Achilles heal and that is the depth on the OL and backup QB.I would be the first to say that Giants would struggle if I thought that...this is not a homer write-up, it is what I believe. My 2nd favorite team in the Dolphins and I beleive they may be slightly better this year, but their record most assuredly won't be.I also believe that Haynesworth will help the Skins a lot. Having a healthy Romo makes the Cowboys better and the good additions for the Eagles make them better, but Westbrook is critical to them.This division is without question, the best in football.
The Eagles added Olinemen that gave up more sacks than the guys they had last year. Maclin has to learn an incredibly complicated offense. They lost one of the best safeties in football. Their CB is unhappy with contract. The Giants have a WR corps that would be in contention for the worst in the league (among teams like the Rams, Jax) and really didn;t add much. They get Osi back and lose Spags. I agree that the Giants win the division handily, but lets take off the homer glasses for a second, step back, and notice that it isn't as easily done as you say. You act like they have this season;s Super Bowl won already. Many teams out there are just as good/better.The Dallas Cowboys are easily the single most overrated team in all of football. Their Oline is huge, but they cant play together and get penalized among the most in the league, IIRC. Romo is way overrated as he tends to fold up in the clutch and Roy Williams has had one decent season in the NFL. The RBs are a bright spot, but the D is not good. Ratliff, Ware, James are all very good players, but the CBs on this team get burned more often than not.The Skins are a bit underrated, IMO, the Portic Problems are being blown a bit out of proportion and Campbell actually gets to sepnd a second year with the same playbook. Unfortuntaely, being underrated means they are seen as a bottom 8 team when they are a bottom 16 team that can't win games outside of the division.Teams that have a better shot, IMO, than any of the NFC East teams: ATL, CAR, PIT, BAL, NE, MIN (teams do win with Def and running see BAL2000) IND, TEN. Heck, I would take Houston over WAS/DAL and maybe even Philly. Overall, that division gets wayyyyy too much media coverage for their actual talent. Dallas + Philly + New York + DC +all the history = overhyped

I know the WR’s are a question mark for the Giants but I think this could be a blessing in disguise. I expect Eli to spread the ball around in the passing game.
If Eli looked even close to mediocre without Plaxico, I probably would have agreed with you.
Can’t really argue with you, however I expect Eli to perform better having an entire offseason (plus a few games) to adjust to life without Plax.

The Giants only player loss is Plax and he was out at the end of the year. But the Giants get Osi back which is huge when you add in all the defensive additions. They also will have Hixon (24) as a starter for the first time going into teh year, Steve Smith (24) is very solid and reliable, they added Nicks (21) and Barden (for the end zone). Let's also not forget that Manningham (23) lost his year to injury and Moss (25) while playing sparingly didn't drop a pass all year and showed some of the flash they were hopeful for when they drafted him. Finally, SB hero Tyree is back. While he may not be that helpful to the passing game, he is a ST standout.

They also added a pass catching TE in Travis beckum.

This has nothing to do with being a Giant fan, but if the Giants stay healthy, they will win the division even with the additions the Eagles made. People are looking for flaws in the Giants team, but they are stacked. They have one Achilles heal and that is the depth on the OL and backup QB.

I would be the first to say that Giants would struggle if I thought that...this is not a homer write-up, it is what I believe. My 2nd favorite team in the Dolphins and I beleive they may be slightly better this year, but their record most assuredly won't be.

I also believe that Haynesworth will help the Skins a lot. Having a healthy Romo makes the Cowboys better and the good additions for the Eagles make them better, but Westbrook is critical to them.

The Eagles added Olinemen that gave up more sacks than the guys they had last year. Maclin has to learn an incredibly complicated offense. They lost one of the best safeties in football. Their CB is unhappy with contract. The Giants have a WR corps that would be in contention for the worst in the league (among teams like the Rams, Jax) and really didn;t add much. They get Osi back and lose Spags. I agree that the Giants win the division handily, but lets take off the homer glasses for a second, step back, and notice that it isn't as easily done as you say. You act like they have this season;s Super Bowl won already. Many teams out there are just as good/better.

The Dallas Cowboys are easily the single most overrated team in all of football. Their Oline is huge, but they cant play together and get penalized among the most in the league, IIRC. Romo is way overrated as he tends to fold up in the clutch and Roy Williams has had one decent season in the NFL. The RBs are a bright spot, but the D is not good. Ratliff, Ware, James are all very good players, but the CBs on this team get burned more often than not.

The Skins are a bit underrated, IMO, the Portic Problems are being blown a bit out of proportion and Campbell actually gets to sepnd a second year with the same playbook. Unfortuntaely, being underrated means they are seen as a bottom 8 team when they are a bottom 16 team that can't win games outside of the division.

Teams that have a better shot, IMO, than any of the NFC East teams: ATL, CAR, PIT, BAL, NE, MIN (teams do win with Def and running see BAL2000) IND, TEN. Heck, I would take Houston over WAS/DAL and maybe even Philly.

Overall, that division gets wayyyyy too much media coverage for their actual talent. Dallas + Philly + New York + DC +all the history = overhyped
Not sure where your getting information at but Dallas was #8 in total team defense last year. In addition Dallas led the league in sacks with 59 the next closest team had 51 sacks. On the defense the problem last year was the safeties not the CB's. Pairing Gerald Sensabaugh with Ken Hamlin should shore up the safety position something that has not happened since Darren Woodson. I realize Sensabaugh is not an elite safety but he is 10x better then Roy Williams, Pat Watkins, or Keith Davis. This defense was dominant at times last year but again the weakeness at the safety position and Zach Thomas caused this defense to falter (especially evident late in the season against Baltimore). Zach Thomas was undersized and said on numerous occasions he was not comfortable at that position. Keith Brooking should fill in nicely at ILB on 1st and 2nd downs as a run stuffer and then have a speedier LB such as Jason Williams or Bobby Carp on 3rd down. Dallas is severly underrated on these boards. Obviously im a homer and maybe a bit jaded but I really think that Dallas has the potential to be the best defense in the entire NFL. Another major issue last year with Dallas was their special teams. Dallas addressed this issue through the draft and pretty much drafted 10 rookies to play on special teams and added Joe DeCamilis to lead the special teams unit. If the special teams are only average it is a huge upgrade. Leaving only the offense to discuss. Unlike years past I dont believe that the offense will lead this team rather that will fall on the defense. The offense will be able to score points with the talent they have at the skill positions (Witten, M. Bennett, F. Jones, R. Williams, Romo). Not having to carry the team or feed the ball to TO should ease stress and cut down on mistakes for Romo. Jason Garrett is also under the microscope last year every Cowboy fan knew what the offense going to do. On first down pass, on second down rush for 2 yards, on 3rd down pass. It was ridiculous and predictable. In his third year im hoping for better results. Garrett is a smart man (ivy league graduate) so I have faith, he is the biggest factor not Romo, Roy Williams in my opinion of whether or not this offense will be succesful.

Overall, that division gets wayyyyy too much media coverage for their actual talent. Dallas + Philly + New York + DC +all the history = overhyped
When I think of "best", I think Super Bowl. Whether these teams lost the game or actually won the Championship, the NFC East has been represented in the Super Bowl more times than any other division in the NFL. In fact, 19 times a team from the NFC East has been in the Super Bowl. Of those 19 SB appearances, the NFCE teams have won the championship 11 times. Again, more than any other division in the NFL. So much so, it's not even close.I think the teams in the division have earned the media coverage.

Teams that have a better shot, IMO, than any of the NFC East teams: ATL, CAR, PIT, BAL, NE, MIN (teams do win with Def and running see BAL2000) IND, TEN. Heck, I would take Houston over WAS/DAL and maybe even Philly.

Nothing against the Vikings but what is it about them that makes you say they have a [b[better shot than any team in the NFC East?Their defense and running game aren't any better than the Giants. And they seem to have the similar questions at WR, and dare I say Eli is a better QB than anyone the Vikings have (including Favre)

The Eagles, Redskins and Giants all had better defenses last seaon than the Vikings (total defense)

Likely. :rolleyes:

But for what it's worth, Brown is the only guy out of the three to even appear on either redraft or dynasty staff rankings for top 87 WRs. (He is only ranked at all by one staffer and that's in redraft). So apparently I'm not the only one with low opinions of those guys.
What do fantasy rankings have to do with true life NFL value, especially when discussing non-starters? If anything, the fantasy values can help substantiate the claim of depth because they can (and do) use the different players in different roles.
I like to rationalize too!While true that there is not a 1:1 equation for fantasy ranking in comparison to true life NFL value for all players, there is a correlation between fantasy value and real life NFL value for skill position players. To go further and say that their low/non-existent ranking makes the argument that they are valuable depth is somewhat ludicrous.

The Giants have a WR corps that would be in contention for the worst in the league (among teams like the Rams, Jax) and really didn;t add much. They get Osi back and lose Spags.
CantyBernard

Boley (although he's out for most/all of camp :rolleyes: )

+ three first day picks

I'd say that's adding quick a lot.

The Giants only player loss is Plax and he was out at the end of the year. But the Giants get Osi back which is huge when you add in all the defensive additions. They also will have Hixon (24) as a starter for the first time going into teh year, Steve Smith (24) is very solid and reliable, they added Nicks (21) and Barden (for the end zone). Let's also not forget that Manningham (23) lost his year to injury and Moss (25) while playing sparingly didn't drop a pass all year and showed some of the flash they were hopeful for when they drafted him. Finally, SB hero Tyree is back. While he may not be that helpful to the passing game, he is a ST standout.

They also added a pass catching TE in Travis beckum.

This has nothing to do with being a Giant fan, but if the Giants stay healthy, they will win the division even with the additions the Eagles made. People are looking for flaws in the Giants team, but they are stacked. They have one Achilles heal and that is the depth on the OL and backup QB.

I would be the first to say that Giants would struggle if I thought that...this is not a homer write-up, it is what I believe. My 2nd favorite team in the Dolphins and I beleive they may be slightly better this year, but their record most assuredly won't be.

I also believe that Haynesworth will help the Skins a lot. Having a healthy Romo makes the Cowboys better and the good additions for the Eagles make them better, but Westbrook is critical to them.

The Eagles added Olinemen that gave up more sacks than the guys they had last year. Maclin has to learn an incredibly complicated offense. They lost one of the best safeties in football. Their CB is unhappy with contract. The Giants have a WR corps that would be in contention for the worst in the league (among teams like the Rams, Jax) and really didn;t add much. They get Osi back and lose Spags. I agree that the Giants win the division handily, but lets take off the homer glasses for a second, step back, and notice that it isn't as easily done as you say. You act like they have this season;s Super Bowl won already. Many teams out there are just as good/better.

The Dallas Cowboys are easily the single most overrated team in all of football. Their Oline is huge, but they cant play together and get penalized among the most in the league, IIRC. Romo is way overrated as he tends to fold up in the clutch and Roy Williams has had one decent season in the NFL. The RBs are a bright spot, but the D is not good. Ratliff, Ware, James are all very good players, but the CBs on this team get burned more often than not.

The Skins are a bit underrated, IMO, the Portic Problems are being blown a bit out of proportion and Campbell actually gets to sepnd a second year with the same playbook. Unfortuntaely, being underrated means they are seen as a bottom 8 team when they are a bottom 16 team that can't win games outside of the division.

Not sure where your getting information at but Dallas was #8 in total team defense last year. In addition Dallas led the league in sacks with 59 the next closest team had 51 sacks. On the defense the problem last year was the safeties not the CB's. Pairing Gerald Sensabaugh with Ken Hamlin should shore up the safety position something that has not happened since Darren Woodson. I realize Sensabaugh is not an elite safety but he is 10x better then Roy Williams, Pat Watkins, or Keith Davis. This defense was dominant at times last year but again the weakeness at the safety position and Zach Thomas caused this defense to falter (especially evident late in the season against Baltimore). Zach Thomas was undersized and said on numerous occasions he was not comfortable at that position. Keith Brooking should fill in nicely at ILB on 1st and 2nd downs as a run stuffer and then have a speedier LB such as Jason Williams or Bobby Carp on 3rd down. Dallas is severly underrated on these boards. Obviously im a homer and maybe a bit jaded but I really think that Dallas has the potential to be the best defense in the entire NFL. Another major issue last year with Dallas was their special teams. Dallas addressed this issue through the draft and pretty much drafted 10 rookies to play on special teams and added Joe DeCamilis to lead the special teams unit. If the special teams are only average it is a huge upgrade. Leaving only the offense to discuss. Unlike years past I dont believe that the offense will lead this team rather that will fall on the defense. The offense will be able to score points with the talent they have at the skill positions (Witten, M. Bennett, F. Jones, R. Williams, Romo). Not having to carry the team or feed the ball to TO should ease stress and cut down on mistakes for Romo. Jason Garrett is also under the microscope last year every Cowboy fan knew what the offense going to do. On first down pass, on second down rush for 2 yards, on 3rd down pass. It was ridiculous and predictable. In his third year im hoping for better results. Garrett is a smart man (ivy league graduate) so I have faith, he is the biggest factor not Romo, Roy Williams in my opinion of whether or not this offense will be succesful.
strong analysis. to say their "D is not good" means nothing. Dallas' D has had some weaknesses that are being addressed.

IF the changes in the secondary pay off, this D could be among the elite in the league. if they dont pay off, they will have a lot of sacks and continue to give up big plays and 3rd and longs.

Nothing against the Vikings but what is it about them that makes you say they have a [b[better shot than any team in the NFC East?Their defense and running game aren't any better than the Giants. And they seem to have the similar questions at WR, and dare I say Eli is a better QB than anyone the Vikings have (including Favre)

The Eagles, Redskins and Giants all had better defenses last seaon than the Vikings (total defense)
Huh.  Vikings have the same WR core they had last season.  Berrian might not qualify as a #1 in some people eyes but at least he is still there.  Giants went 1 - 4 without Plaxico.  Maybe Berrian is not a fantasy stud but he helps the Vikings win.  Vikings are 6-1 when Berrian has scored a TD.  

The Giants have a WR corps that would be in contention for the worst in the league (among teams like the Rams, Jax) and really didn;t add much. They get Osi back and lose Spags.
CantyBernard

Boley (although he's out for most/all of camp :lol: )

+ three first day picks

I'd say that's adding quick a lot.
Dont forget about Osi since he was out all of last season.

The Eagles added Olinemen that gave up more sacks than the guys they had last year. Maclin has to learn an incredibly complicated offense. They lost one of the best safeties in football. Their CB is unhappy with contract.
those OL had awful surrounding. Andrews is going to shift down to RG while his brother moves out to RT. I think the Eagles OL is much more talented at this moment. They also have some serious depth. Sean Jones has pro bowl type talent to replace Dawkins and Sheldon Brown is irrelevant as the Eagles acquired Ellis Hobbs as leverage. Brown really doesn't have much of a choice, but to shut up and work on not losing his job. The secondary is as good as I can remember with Joselio developing well. Not to mention Macho Harris acquired via the draft, Jack Ike finally healthy, signing of Rashad Baker. Plenty of quality competition for all the S & CB spotsMaclin also doesn't really 'have' to learn all that much right away. They can bring him along like they did Desean before inserting him into the starting line-up. Plenty of depth at WR to have to depend on him to digest the entire playbook for the week 1 gameplan.

They were 12-1 odds to win the Super Bowl in Vegas when I went in May. I thought that was way to high, so I put some $$$ on them.

The NFC is wide open, a number of teams can win. If Westbrook stays healthy, and the receivers can produce, they can make it to the SB. and once you get there, anything can happen.

Huh.  Vikings have the same WR core they had last season.  Berrian might not qualify as a #1 in some people eyes but at least he is still there.  Giants went 1 - 4 without Plaxico.  Maybe Berrian is not a fantasy stud but he helps the Vikings win.  Vikings are 6-1 when Berrian has scored a TD.  
Thus the use of the word similar, everyone says that the Giants don’t have any one that would qualify as a #1 WR Berrian only caught 48 balls last year

Thus the use of the word similar, everyone says that the Giants don't have any one that would qualify as a #1 WR Berrian only caught 48 balls last year
Who cares how many balls he caught?  This is not some fantasy PPR league where catching balls for minimal gains gets you points.  I don't care if Berrian does not qualify as a #1 or a #2 or whatever. Bottom line is the Vikings WR core is better than the Giants.BTW: I wish the Vikings played the Giants again this season so they could beat them for the third time in a row.  

Thus the use of the word similar, everyone says that the Giants don't have any one that would qualify as a #1 WR Berrian only caught 48 balls last year
Who cares how many balls he caught?  This not some fantasy PPR league where catching balls for minimal gains gets you points.  I don't care if Berrian does not qualify as a #1 or a #2 or whatever. Bottom line is the Vikings WR core is better than the Giants.BTW: I wish the Vikings played the Giants again this season so they could beat them for the third time in a row.  
Appearantly you don't understand the use of the word 'similar'. Not once did I say that the Giants WR's were better than the Vikings. I was just pointing out that the Vikings (as you pointed out) like the Giants don't have what many people consider a #1 WROh and you will get your wish and a chance at another hollow victory against the Giants because they play again this season in week 17.

Last season the Vikings beat the Giants in week 17 after the Giants had clinced the #1 seed by 1 point as David Carr and the rest of the backups led the way

In 2007 the Vikings did beat the Giants pretty bad, however they were able to bounce back from that drubbing and win a little something that the Vikings are unfamiliar with winning....it's called The Super Bowl

Oh and you will get your wish and a chance at another hollow victory against the Giants because they play again this season in week 17.
Good. Childress should chalk up his forth win against the team you believe is better in almost ever facet of the game. 

The only team that could keep the Eagles from winning the super bowl is the patriots. Considering that multiple starters get injured every single year, I love the eagles depth. Outside of QB, the team has players that can play. The offensive line has amazing depth (I could see 4 of the 5 backups as starters in the future). Every year Westy is the supposed key and then he misses half the games. The key is McNabb especially because Kolb sucks--if the Eagles do anything without McNabb it will be because of AJ Feeley. He managed the team well enough to warrant a fourth rounder the last time he started for the Eagles. Also, expect if McNabb or Westy (and another back) goes down for this offense to be the WCO on crack.

In terms of Warrick Dunn, I just don't get it. They have three players on the roster already that are the same style player as Dunn and they are all much younger. I just don't see them getting another back. Even without Westbrook, Weaver, McCoy, and Booker (maybe?) could keep defenses honest (assuming that Reid actually runs the ball to begin with). Also, Zack Crockett reminds me of the possiblilties of Weaver. I am pretty sure he was on the team when Reid was coach.

The Eagles WR's will surprise. Jackson will be a disappointment (compared to last year) but Maclin has the ability to be special. Jackson and Maclin are the future of this offense.

In terms of defense, I don't see Johnson coming back. He is both old and pretty sick. I am not too familiar with his replacement (Secondary coach right?) but either way, the Eagles have had a great track record with their assistant coaches, so I'm not too worried about that.

The redskins are going nowhere--Dan Snyder pretty much undermines their season ASAP.

The Cowboys could surprise...until Romo starts playing meaningful games.

The Giants are a toss-up--if they do anything it will be due to a completely healthy Jacobs (if possible) and defensive dominance (and I mean dominance; I'm talking best defense of all-time for them to be Super Bowl Contenders).

The only team that could keep the Eagles from winning the super bowl is the patriots. Considering that multiple starters get injured every single year, I love the eagles depth. Outside of QB, the team has players that can play. The offensive line has amazing depth (I could see 4 of the 5 backups as starters in the future). Every year Westy is the supposed key and then he misses half the games. The key is McNabb especially because Kolb sucks--if the Eagles do anything without McNabb it will be because of AJ Feeley. He managed the team well enough to warrant a fourth rounder the last time he started for the Eagles. Also, expect if McNabb or Westy (and another back) goes down for this offense to be the WCO on crack.

In terms of Warrick Dunn, I just don't get it. They have three players on the roster already that are the same style player as Dunn and they are all much younger. I just don't see them getting another back. Even without Westbrook, Weaver, McCoy, and Booker (maybe?) could keep defenses honest (assuming that Reid actually runs the ball to begin with). Also, Zack Crockett reminds me of the possiblilties of Weaver. I am pretty sure he was on the team when Reid was coach.

The Eagles WR's will surprise. Jackson will be a disappointment (compared to last year) but Maclin has the ability to be special. Jackson and Maclin are the future of this offense.

In terms of defense, I don't see Johnson coming back. He is both old and pretty sick. I am not too familiar with his replacement (Secondary coach right?) but either way, the Eagles have had a great track record with their assistant coaches, so I'm not too worried about that.

The redskins are going nowhere--Dan Snyder pretty much undermines their season ASAP.

The Cowboys could surprise...until Romo starts playing meaningful games.

The Giants are a toss-up--if they do anything it will be due to a completely healthy Jacobs (if possible) and defensive dominance (and I mean dominance; I'm talking best defense of all-time for them to be Super Bowl Contenders).
Westbrook hasn't missed more than 4 games since 2004

The Giants only player loss is Plax and he was out at the end of the year. But the Giants get Osi back which is huge when you add in all the defensive additions. They also will have Hixon (24) as a starter for the first time going into teh year, Steve Smith (24) is very solid and reliable, they added Nicks (21) and Barden (for the end zone). Let's also not forget that Manningham (23) lost his year to injury and Moss (25) while playing sparingly didn't drop a pass all year and showed some of the flash they were hopeful for when they drafted him. Finally, SB hero Tyree is back. While he may not be that helpful to the passing game, he is a ST standout.They also added a pass catching TE in Travis beckum.
I see no sure things there except Smith, and it is unclear what he is capable of (and I like Smith). There are serious questions about what the passing game will do without Plax. They have added Nicks, Barden, and Beckum? Well, new faces are nice, but we have no idea if they can contribute to a division winning team. Same can be said about Moss and Manningham. They have made a lot of additions, but I don't know if we can call that improvement. I think it is unknown.

Not sure I'd anoint a team that tied cinci last year as a super bowl favorite. The offense needs to show a lot more consistency. Sure, they've made some nice additions, but until they show it on the field it doesn't amount to much.

Not sure I'd anoint a team that tied cinci last year as a super bowl favorite. The offense needs to show a lot more consistency. Sure, they've made some nice additions, but until they show it on the field it doesn't amount to much.
Yeah, destroying the Giants on their home turf during the playoffs and making it to the '08 Championship game & having the best off-season of any NFL team doesn't lead anyone to think this team could make a title run this year.

Likely. ;)

But for what it's worth, Brown is the only guy out of the three to even appear on either redraft or dynasty staff rankings for top 87 WRs. (He is only ranked at all by one staffer and that's in redraft). So apparently I'm not the only one with low opinions of those guys.
I like to rationalize too!While true that there is not a 1:1 equation for fantasy ranking in comparison to true life NFL value for all players, there is a correlation between fantasy value and real life NFL value for skill position players. To go further and say that their low/non-existent ranking makes the argument that they are valuable depth is somewhat ludicrous.
Call it whatevere you want, but to grade an NFL WR corps based on the respective fantasy rankings of the individual players is just plain dumb, especially when you're focused on the backups in your discussion!

Donovan McNabb is destined to be this generations Fran Tarkington.

Hall of Fame quarterback but never getting the championship ring.

Yeah, destroying the Giants on their home turf during the playoffs and making it to the '08 Championship game & having the best off-season of any NFL team doesn't lead anyone to think this team could make a title run this year.
I think their defense is suspect especially without Dawkins and what he brings as a leader. McNabb must play the entire season at 100% or they fall apart again.

I think their defense is suspect especially without Dawkins and what he brings as a leader. McNabb must play the entire season at 100% or they fall apart again.
:lmao: :lmao:Let's say this one more time just to be clear: DAWKINS WAS THE WEAK LINK ON THIS TOP RANKED UNIT LAST YEAR. Talk about losing the spiritual leader is waaaaay over-rated. This was one of the best defenses in the NFL last year, and lost nobody but Dawk. On top of that, the majority of the players are very young and on the UPSWING of their careers. While everyone focuses on the offensive additions/upgrades Philly has made, the defense is a virtual lock to be top five....and is the real reason Philly should be considered an NFC favorite.ETA: There are good reasons why somone might prefer the G-men, Carolina, or even Dallas :gag: to Philly this year, but to latch onto Dawkins as a reason shows nothing but ignorance about the Eagles.

...In terms of Warrick Dunn, I just don't get it. They have three players on the roster already that are the same style player as Dunn and they are all much younger. I just don't see them getting another back. Even without Westbrook, Weaver, McCoy, and Booker (maybe?) could keep defenses honest (assuming that Reid actually runs the ball to begin with). Also, Zack Crockett reminds me of the possiblilties of Weaver. I am pretty sure he was on the team when Reid was coach. ...
Regarding Dunn - when you are a team that could be on the cusp of a playoff push (as the Eagles should be), you look to minimize the risk of having a key player go down and take the team with him.If Westbrook was lost for the year in say September, would you rather (A) have 3 unproven backs with various degrees of NFL experience and performance (Booker, Weaver and McCoy) and rely on that group, or (B) add someone that put up 1,000 yards last year and has a track record of performing well when called upon in the NFL to step it up and deliver like a savvy veteran?Choice (B) seems like a logical plan to me. I'd rather see Philly add Dunn now than wait until something worse might happen and possibly lose Dunn to another franchise and also lose time that Dunn can come in and learn the backup role.As for his age, well - we're talking about Dunn lasting 7 more months and be a backup / spot starter if need be, not a feature back. That's a great way for a veteran to wind down his career.

:lmao:

Never said they COULDN'T make a run. Sure they beat the Giants. A few weeks prior they lost to Washington. they're a good team - but an inconsistent team....which was my point. Lots of team can make a run, but I need to see more consistency from the Eagles before I make them the favorite over other teams.

babydemon90 said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
babydemon90 said:
Never said they COULDN'T make a run. Sure they beat the Giants. A few weeks prior they lost to Washington. they're a good team - but an inconsistent team....which was my point. Lots of team can make a run, but I need to see more consistency from the Eagles before I make them the favorite over other teams.
And you're ignoring all of the changes in the offseason? When you look at teams going into next year, why do you care what happened week 17 the year before? That was a long time ago; games were played after that where they showed promise and they had an entire offseason since.

Sebowski said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
babydemon90 said:
Explain this one? I'm going to guess you'll talk about some team that picked up an overpaid/overweight free agent, although that team always seems to do as such and never really improves.

1st, just because westbrook suited up for at least 12 games each season doesn't mean he was healthy for 12 games

2nd, if you are going to go out and get a runningback, why would you get skills your team has an over abundance of? Let's just assume that they got Dunn. Would he even play? No matter how you look at it, the Eagles would still have McCoy in front of Dunn. If the Eagles get a runningback, it should be Edge. He offers the change of pace they haven't had since duce staley and he could have an actual impact on the team. Let's just say that Dunn would be a good third string back on this team--anything more and you're fooling yourself.

I don't see how anyone can think the Eagles had the best offseason. Maclin and Mccoy are rookies, and from what I've seen on these boards, even Bills fans say Peters is overrated. As much as I hate to say it, the Patriots had a much better offseason. And yes, I will say it, the addition of Haynesworth has a much larger impact than anything Philly did.

A couple of thoughts on this thread:

As an Eagles fan, I feel real confident about this team going into this season. A lot of that has to do with the fact that even though the Eagles have a high injury concern at key positions (McNabb, Westbrook, Jim Johnson) since the season hasn't started yet, I can discount the possibility that those injuries will occur. It doesn't mean they won't occur, it just means that I can choose to ignore it for now.

So, yes, the Eagles could very well suffer key injuries and not make the playoffs. If healthly, though, I think they have a very strong, deep, all around team.

I think the Giants are also a very strong team and could easily win the division and should make the playoffs. The one thing that helps the Eagles is thus far, without Plax, the Giants do not have a go to receiver. This helped out the Eagles immensely in their last two games with the Giants last year as they were able to key on the run. Eli looked a lot weaker without the threat of Plax in the game. Time will tell if Nicks or one of the other wide receivers will step up and be that go to guy.

I think ultimately, the Cowboys are hampered by Wade Phillips as head coach. He is not a big game coach, and this team has yet to show that they have enough on the field leaders to overcome the deficiencies of their coach. Tony Romo could develop into that leader, but I don't see that happening under Wade's tenure. The Cowboys have enough talent to make the playoffs but I just don't see them going very far if they do.

The Redskins are easy to discount because they played so bad in winnable games last year. This will be a big year for them to determine if Zorn is a good coach, and if they have some leaders on that team that can make them play good 16 games in a season.

Bottom line, The Eagles need to get off to a good start. Their first game is in Carolina, so if they come up with a win there, it will be huge. I will be very surprised if the Eagles stay healthy this year, if they do not make a deep run in the playoffs.

Sebowski said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
babydemon90 said:
Explain this one? I'm going to guess you'll talk about some team that picked up an overpaid/overweight free agent, although that team always seems to do as such and never really improves.
You mean the guy that some other "actual NFL players" consider to be the best player in the league, regardless of position?And they didn't overpay. Tampa offered more $$$.

Sebowski said:
Ruffrodys05 said:
babydemon90 said:
yeah um ruffroddy...Take a look at Chicago, Washington, and the Jets (I count Rex Ryan as part of the offseason additions which is by far worth more than a rookie WR and overrated OLinemen) off the top of my head.

Just put my money where my mouth is. $200 on Philly to win the Super Bowl at +1215. That returns $2,430 plus my $200 wager.

Odds on every team, from TheGreek.com

801 New England Patriots +425

802 Pittsburgh Steelers +625

803 Indianapolis Colts +1415

804 San Diego Chargers +1415

805 New York Giants +1015

806 Philadelphia Eagles +1215

807 Dallas Cowboys +1650

808 Washington Redskins +2550

809 Atlanta Falcons +2050

810 Carolina Panthers +2550

811 New Orleans Saints +2050

812 Tampa Bay Buccaneers +5250

813 Chicago Bears +2850

814 Green Bay Packers +4050

815 Minnesota Vikings +1650

816 Arizona Cardinals +2550

817 Tennessee Titans +2550

818 Baltimore Ravens +2550

819 Jacksonville Jaguars +5250

820 Houston Texans +2850

821 Buffalo Bills +4550

822 New York Jets +4550

823 Miami Dolphins +5250

824 Denver Broncos +4550

825 San Francisco 49ers +5250

826 Seattle Seahawks +5250

827 Oakland Raiders +7550

828 Cincinnati Bengals +6500

829 Kansas City Chiefs +8050

Every figure is based on a $100 wager.

$100 on the Patriots returns $425 (plus your original $100 wager) if they win the Super Bowl.

$100 on the Chiefs returns $8,050 (plus you original $100 wager) if they win the Super Bowl.

EDIT: There are only 29 teams listed above. I don't know why they left out 3 teams.

To me all 4 teams have HUGE question marks at Offense, and I'd rate them pretty similarly but ...

DAL - QB [1], RB [4], WR [2], TE [1]

NYG - QB [3], RB [1], WR [4], TE [3]

PHI - QB [2], RB [3], WR [3], TE [4]

WAS - QB [4], RB [2], WR [1], TE [2]

To me all 4 teams have very strong Defenses, and I'd rate them similarly but ...

DAL - Run Defense [3], Pass Defense [4], Scoring [4]

NYG - Run Defense [2], Pass Defense [1], Scoring [2]

PHI - Run Defense [4], Pass Defense [3], Scoring [3]

WAS - Run Defense [1], Pass Defense [2], Scoring [1]

If all the key players on each team start and finish the season healthy, then this could be a real fun division to watch, but I don't see any of the 4 of these teams representing the NFC or winning the Super Bowl.

To me all 4 teams have HUGE question marks at Offense, and I'd rate them pretty similarly but ...DAL - QB [1], RB [4], WR [2], TE [1]NYG - QB [3], RB [1], WR [4], TE [3]PHI - QB [2], RB [3], WR [3], TE [4]WAS - QB [4], RB [2], WR [1], TE [2]To me all 4 teams have very strong Defenses, and I'd rate them similarly but ...DAL - Run Defense [3], Pass Defense [4], Scoring [4]NYG - Run Defense [2], Pass Defense [1], Scoring [2]PHI - Run Defense [4], Pass Defense [3], Scoring [3]WAS - Run Defense [1], Pass Defense [2], Scoring [1]If all the key players on each team start and finish the season healthy, then this could be a real fun division to watch, but I don't see any of the 4 of these teams representing the NFC or winning the Super Bowl.
So based on your rankings, you think the Redskins are the strongest team in the division? I just don't see that, mainly because a team is made up of more than the rankings at individual positions. I also have a hard time seeing how you rank the Cowboys with the worst group of Running Backs in the division.Just my two cents.

Ruffrodys05 said:
babydemon90 said:
:lmao: :lmao:Let's say this one more time just to be clear: DAWKINS WAS THE WEAK LINK ON THIS TOP RANKED UNIT LAST YEAR. Talk about losing the spiritual leader is waaaaay over-rated. This was one of the best defenses in the NFL last year, and lost nobody but Dawk. On top of that, the majority of the players are very young and on the UPSWING of their careers. While everyone focuses on the offensive additions/upgrades Philly has made, the defense is a virtual lock to be top five....and is the real reason Philly should be considered an NFC favorite.ETA: There are good reasons why somone might prefer the G-men, Carolina, or even Dallas :gag: to Philly this year, but to latch onto Dawkins as a reason shows nothing but ignorance about the Eagles.
:goodposting: I'm glad someone pointed this out. People keep pointing to the fact that the Eagles lost Dawk, and that is supposed to be the downfall of the defense. Dawk was amazing and was everything you want a player to be while he was an Eagle, but it was clear to everyone he had lost a step. Quentin Mikell is going to be a beast, Quentin Demps looked good as a backup last year and they signed Sean Jones, so they have players to replace Dawk. Can they replace the emotion and what he brought to the team? Probably not, but that's where guys like Samuel, Bradley, Cole, and Mikell step in and assume that leadership.The defense does not concern me one bit, even with JJ out. I hope he comes back, but Sean McDermitt has learned the D and how to be a coach, just like John Harbaugh did and Spags did, maybe it's his time now. What concerns me more is the health of Westbrook, who doesn't have a proven backup behind him.

To me all 4 teams have HUGE question marks at Offense, and I'd rate them pretty similarly but ...DAL - QB [1], RB [4], WR [2], TE [1]NYG - QB [3], RB [1], WR [4], TE [3]PHI - QB [2], RB [3], WR [3], TE [4]WAS - QB [4], RB [2], WR [1], TE [2]To me all 4 teams have very strong Defenses, and I'd rate them similarly but ...DAL - Run Defense [3], Pass Defense [4], Scoring [4]NYG - Run Defense [2], Pass Defense [1], Scoring [2]PHI - Run Defense [4], Pass Defense [3], Scoring [3]WAS - Run Defense [1], Pass Defense [2], Scoring [1]If all the key players on each team start and finish the season healthy, then this could be a real fun division to watch, but I don't see any of the 4 of these teams representing the NFC or winning the Super Bowl.
So based on your rankings, you think the Redskins are the strongest team in the division? I just don't see that, mainly because a team is made up of more than the rankings at individual positions. I also have a hard time seeing how you rank the Cowboys with the worst group of Running Backs in the division.Just my two cents.
:goodposting: I hate the Cowboys, but MBIII, Jones and Choice are the best RB group in the division. Jacobs and Bradshaw are good, but losing Ward will hurt. Westbrook is great, but if he can't stay on the field for 16 games and they have little backup behind him, and Portis is getting old, and only has Betts behind him.

Users who are viewing this thread