What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (2 Viewers)

sounds like Ren might be a rave kid.

eta: casual friday outfit
More of an internet ####lord really.  No kids or corporate job, don't really dabble in the bar scene anymore.  A lot of stuff in here looks like fashion I would consider in my 40's moreso than early 30's.  Soft and preppy, like a verified twitter journalist or something.  Not that I'm the ultimate authority on what's cool or whatever, I just prefer colorful edgier stuff.  It is interesting to see other people's personal taste.  

Don't be so sensitive. There's plenty of different opinions in here. I think everything Major suggests is ridiculous looking.  I don't really think he believes half of the stuff he suggests.   I also don't see things like Wilked.  But I think both of those guys are from the Northeast. I'm from the South.  Fashion is very regional.  But clothes that fit well and match isn't.  
I agree.  I didn't realize that one person is a shtick account and everyone else is being honest.  In any case if someone knows of a good sale going on I would appreciate them posting it here in the future.  

Demographics definitely plays a role too.  I imagine living in Manhattan vs. Brooklyn vs. metropolitan Louisville will have a huge bearing on how you dress.  

Demographics definitely plays a role too.  I imagine living in Manhattan vs. Brooklyn vs. metropolitan Louisville will have a huge bearing on how you dress.  
Very much so. I currently live in Nashville and was in Florida for a few years before this. 

I still don't know the answer to this one.
It all depends on shirt style and length really

- majority of casual shirts should be untucked (t-shirts, no collared long sleeve)

- collared shirts are best to be untucked in casual setting but only if the length of them falls to mid-crotch/mid-butt.  If they are longer than that, than tuck them in cuz it looks ridiculously sloppy untucked.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on shirt style and length really

- majority of casual shirts should be untucked (t-shirts, no collared long sleeve)

- collared shirts are best to be untucked in casual setting but only if the length of them falls to mid-crotch/mid-butt.  If they are longer than that, than tuck them in cuz it looks ridiculously sloppy untucked.
I'm strictly talking about collared shirts.  I think untucked looks sloppy and tucked looks dweebish.  

I'm strictly talking about collared shirts.  I think untucked looks sloppy and tucked looks dweebish.  
Really depends on the environment for me...

If Im in jeans I will more often than not be untucked as it's a more casual environment. Definitely can't be too long though.  IMO Jeans are tough to pull off with a tucked button down... requires the right combo or you can end up looking like Jerry Seinfeld. 

If I'm in slacks/pants I'll pretty much always be tucked in.  

Shorts are a bit more of a grey area and depend on the evironment/shorts/shoes. 

Really the only time I tuck in my shirt is in a business environment, with dress slacks or when I'm wearing a blazer or some sort of formal jacket.  

If Im in jeans I will more often than not be untucked as it's a more casual environment. Definitely can't be too long though.  IMO Jeans are tough to pull off with a tucked button down... requires the right combo or you can end up looking like Jerry Seinfeld. 

If I'm in slacks/pants I'll pretty much always be tucked in.  

Shorts are a bit more of a grey area and depend on the evironment/shorts/shoes. 

Agree with your first two but I refuse to tuck any shirt in if I'm wearing shorts...ever.

Agree with your first two but I refuse to tuck any shirt in if I'm wearing shorts...ever.
I've been at nicer outings (golf course, etc) that called for nice khahki shorts where I've tucked in. But GENERALLY speaking, if the situation is casual enough to allow shorts, then it's generally casual enough to handle an untucked shirt. 

There are a few easy ways to split this crowd I would say:

1. The 'fad' of untucked shirts is generally a terrible one - true/false

2. Wearing shorts after the sun has gone down is generally a bad idea - true/false

3. Wearing a jersey / sports gear when not attending a sports event should be avoided - true/false

4. The most expensive clothing you are wearing at any given time should generally be your shoes  - true/false

5. If forced to choose one, it's better to have clothes a little too tight then a little too loose - true/false
What about tucked in jerseys @MarvinTScamper

1. The 'fad' of untucked shirts is generally a terrible one - true/false. I guess I'd go true in general. My style has changed a lot, no doubt for the better, over time. This is a main area of evolution. Throughout my 20s, I pretty much went untucked in anything but a suit. And I very rarely wore suits. In first half of my 30s, I moved to tucked in business situations. In the second half of my 30s, I prefer tucked on button downs with chinos. I still like untucked with jeans with the shirt acceptable in length as Icon mentioned (and my jeans are really too tight to tuck). I still always untuck with t-shirts, henleys and polos (which can go either way).

2. Wearing shorts after the sun has gone down is generally a bad idea - true/false. True. Unless you're around water or doing something athletic, I think shorts are always a bad idea for a guy. No one wants to see my hairy pale legs.

3. Wearing a jersey / sports gear when not attending a sports event should be avoided - true/false. True. I don't even like the look of wearing a jersey while at a sporting event.

4. The most expensive clothing you are wearing at any given time should generally be your shoes  - true/false. Often true. I'd say except when wearing a suit or a nice jacket or possibly sweater.

5. If forced to choose one, it's better to have clothes a little too tight then a little too loose - true/false. True.

we can all give our "rules" but they only apply to us.  Here are a few examples:

1. If you wear a sport coat/blazer/suit jacket without a pocket square, you look like an amateur

2. If you wear a button down shirt with a SUIT, you look like a schlub 

3. If you wear black dress shoes with everything, you've blown it.

4. If your belt doesn't match your shoes (dress belts/shoes) just quit 

like that

2. Wearing shorts after the sun has gone down is generally a bad idea - true/false

3. Wearing a jersey / sports gear when not attending a sports event should be avoided - true/false

4. The most expensive clothing you are wearing at any given time should generally be your shoes  - true/false

5. If forced to choose one, it's better to have clothes a little too tight then a little too loose - true/false
Split what crowd? 

Fit matters.

Untucked is fine if it's a trim cut shirt, narrowly tailored, over well fitting trim jeans and smart stylish shoes. If the shirt is loose and blousy, more mumu-circus tent than shirt, and it looks like it would be worn by Steven Bannon on a Sunday afternoon over black sweatpants, then it's a no-go. Best you can hope for is to look like a second grader in a finger-painting smock.

Of course, key to this is to be able to fit inside a trim cut shirt. If you're 40 pounds of coney dogs overweight all sagging in the middle, and your neck fat is hanging over the collar, the shirt is going to be how people judge your looks. Might as well wear whatever, no one is going to care.
Great advice here. If you're overweight, wear anything.  You're a fat loser who no one cares about.  No chance at looking neat. :yawn:

I'm glad I don't place my entire self-worth in how I look.  Has to be a pretty unhappy life going around judging others on how they look. Carry on

wilked said:

Time to flip to the answer page

I'll take them one at a time.

1. True

Reading the responses above I can see people are still fairly uncertain at best, and in some cases headed off in the wrong direction.  Shirts tucked into jeans look fine, so long as it's nice jeans and a nice shirt.  Untucked can work fine as well given the right shirt.  Untucked often looks bad as most shirts are not the right shirt.  

Good visual here http://ummybc37801t5svh193x86sb.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Dress-shirt-untucked.jpg

And an example of doing it correctly https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55bd8090e4b002b451c33600/t/56f85b12b6aa60a67ed01754/1459116835934/

Tucked in shows you give a damn about your looks, are not sloppy, and also gives the chance to show off a nice belt.  I go either way depending on the shirt, but generally prefer the tucked in look.

That said, the above images might not be enough for you, so here's a simple rule of thumb:

1. Tuck shirt in.

2. Reach up and touch the sky, high as you can

3. Can you see your belly?  Shirt is too short

4. Still tucked in?  Best to leave it tucked in

5. Did most of the shirt come untucked?  Let it stay untucked

I think in reality tucked gets a bad rep mainly due to badly dressed men who tuck in the wrong shirt in the wrong pants (I saw Seinfeld mentioned earlier.  Another example here http://46fjj12eeht73lsxezcqpvlt-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/romneydadjeans.jpg ).  Those look bad tucked or untucked - it doesn't matter.  

Bottom line, stick to the rules above and you'll be fine, so long as you aren't rocking dad jeans or dad shirts.  

Those look like blue slacks, not jeans. That's essentially business casual, not casual.
It's not just about jeans, really about any pants/shirt combination

That said, that photo works just as well with jeans.  Makes no difference

Here are some brown suede saddle shoes I got 10 years ago for $150 from Sherman Bros.  These are my main work shoes but I wear them for casual outings here and there.  Fossil watch, AE flex slim khakis and a Vans DK backpack that I use for gym stuff.  

https://imgur.com/a/RsYko

Walking Boot said:
Fit matters.

Untucked is fine if it's a trim cut shirt, narrowly tailored, over well fitting trim jeans and smart stylish shoes. If the shirt is loose and blousy, more mumu-circus tent than shirt, and it looks like it would be worn by Steven Bannon on a Sunday afternoon over black sweatpants, then it's a no-go. Best you can hope for is to look like a second grader in a finger-painting smock.

Of course, key to this is to be able to fit inside a trim cut shirt. If you're 40 pounds of coney dogs overweight all sagging in the middle, and your neck fat is hanging over the collar, the shirt is going to be how people judge your looks. Might as well wear whatever, no one is going to care.
No need to get personal, ###hole.

It's not just about jeans, really about any pants/shirt combination

That said, that photo works just as well with jeans.  Makes no difference
I work in Beverly Hills where it's swimming with vain rich dooshes who's sole goal in life is to spend however much it takes to look as cool as (they think) possible. I have yet to see a guy wearing jeans with a tucked in button up shirt not look like a dork or hipster turd.

Commmon Projects and Lanvin?  You remind me of a Yung Major circa 2009.  You should also check for Givenchy and YSL.  They're making some nice sneakers nowadays.  Big fan of these:  http://www.barneys.com/product/givenchy-new-urban-street-leather-sneakers-504882054.html

If you lads are on a budget, the Adidas Stan Smith Boosts are gold.  Prime knit and comfortable af:  http://www.adidas.com/us/stan-smith-boost-primeknit-shoes/BB0012.html 
These Stan Smiths are solid. Still a little pricey at 140 but within reason. 

You guys are posting some truly awful sneakers on the pages leading up to this, at double or more the price.  Eesh. 

Shrugs said:
Epaulet, my favorite clothing store, is closing its NY store and moving to LA. It's got a big sale going to clear NY inventory. Everything 40 percent off, including some Aldens. Their sneakers are very well made and are a great deal right now running between $117 and $147. Use code CLOSING40-FINAL-SALE:  https://epauletnewyork.com/collections/orchard-closing-sale
Bought a pair of the sneakers.  Thanks for the heads up!

wilked said:

I want to be in front of #4 for SURE.  FALSE, FALSE, FALSE.

and for the record

1. not a fad.  I don't like untucked shirts, but it's been a "fad" since the 30s

2. false

3. true, but I only own a few jerseys, and rarely wear them at all

5. false

wilked said:
1. The 'fad' of untucked shirts is generally a terrible one - true/false - I am more of a jean with t-shirt and hoodie/sweater guy, but if I do have to wear a nice button down, of course that gets tucked

2. Wearing shorts after the sun has gone down is generally a bad idea - true/false - just don't wear cargo shorts with giant pockets and it is fine to wear shorts whenever the #### you want

3. Wearing a jersey / sports gear when not attending a sports event should be avoided - true/false - should avoid a sports jersey regradless of the situation

4. The most expensive clothing you are wearing at any given time should generally be your shoes  - true/false - i have some super cheap saucony sneakers that were on sale that cost far less than some of my sweaters/shorts/jeans/etc.

5. If forced to choose one, it's better to have clothes a little too tight then a little too loose - true/false - clothes shouldn't be too tight or too loose. buy new clothes if either is the case. they shoul dbe slim or skinny fitting, but not too tight.

Shrugs said:
Epaulet, my favorite clothing store, is closing its NY store and moving to LA. It's got a big sale going to clear NY inventory. Everything 40 percent off, including some Aldens. Their sneakers are very well made and are a great deal right now running between $117 and $147. Use code CLOSING40-FINAL-SALE:  https://epauletnewyork.com/collections/orchard-closing-sale
It doesn't look like the Alden's are 40% off.  Bummer.  Would have been an amazing deal.

edit:  Apparently some were, but they sold fast  Not the Indys though  :)

wilked said:

We are making some progress here.  I expected some holdouts, and not necessarily surprised by who also

Let's keep moving forward though

3. It's more than just jerseys, which seems to have good agreement on.  If your typical weekend attire involved sports-labeled clothes - that is completely fine, just not generally in line with the focus of this thread.  

4. This one seemed to cause a bit of controversy...unclear why.  Of course there are examples where you have stylish inexpensive shoes, and likewise are wearing an expensive suit.  That's why I use the word 'generally'.  It's not just about style either but also about comfort.  Spend the money, get good quality shoes, take care of them (often overlooked), and you will benefit in many ways

I will finish this up later

4. seemed to cause a bit of controversy...unclear why.  Of course there are examples where you have stylish inexpensive shoes, and likewise are wearing an expensive suit.  That's why I use the word 'generally'.  It's not just about style either but also about comfort.  Spend the money, get good quality shoes, take care of them (often overlooked), and you will benefit in many ways
If you are trying to say "buy some decent shoes" that's one thing.    Here's the thing.  Shoes, like clothes, and watches, and cars....are all relative.  You can talk about "construction" of shoes, or the type of leather, or whether they are custom shoes, etc.   There ARE differences between shoes, including construction, materials, design, and how much advertising and profit the company makes.   I would say it should be more about what you're wearing with it.

$50 khakis?  Who gives a ####, you could wear anything.

$100 cheap dress pants?  $100 shoe is plenty

$2500 jacket, $600 pants...probalby should have $400 shoes on, lest you look like you don't know what you're doing.

it's all relative.  If you don't worry about the label on your clothes, wear shoes that make your feet happy.

Users who are viewing this thread