What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (2 Viewers)

Where is a good place for a 40 something to go shopping? I am looking for a casual dress look for going out with the wife & her co workers. (She is a catering manager for a private college where we live, so there are some gatherings with management, president of the college, etc). I am a Service manager at a car dealership so my every day clothes are pretty simple. I go look in Gap, Old Navy or other stores and everything looks so young or way to old. I am looking for casual with jeans or maybe a little dressier for some occasions but not suit dressy.
Kohl's, Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillard's are a huge step up from Old Navy and probably not much more expensive. But they have a lot of crap, too. You just have to pick through it.
Nordstrom > Macys = Dillards > Kohls > Old Navy
Nordstrom >>> Macys = Dillards > Kohls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Old Navy
Nordstrom is so far ahead of all of those.
Nordstrom in the same park as Saks and Neimans. They get points off for some crap brands but great customer service. I like the fact you can buy something there, wear it for a month and return it without questions.
I've really never even considered buying any of their high end stuff, but their house brand dress shirts are very nice and $40 when on sale. I can't see myself buying any shoes from there either. Cole Haan runs good specials online on a regular basis that I've seen a lot.

Where is a good place for a 40 something to go shopping? I am looking for a casual dress look for going out with the wife & her co workers. (She is a catering manager for a private college where we live, so there are some gatherings with management, president of the college, etc). I am a Service manager at a car dealership so my every day clothes are pretty simple. I go look in Gap, Old Navy or other stores and everything looks so young or way to old. I am looking for casual with jeans or maybe a little dressier for some occasions but not suit dressy.
Kohl's, Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillard's are a huge step up from Old Navy and probably not much more expensive. But they have a lot of crap, too. You just have to pick through it.
Nordstrom >>> Macys = Dillards > Kohls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Old Navy
Nordstrom in the same park as Saks and Neimans. They get points off for some crap brands but great customer service. I like the fact you can buy something there, wear it for a month and return it without questions.
I've really never even considered buying any of their high end stuff, but their house brand dress shirts are very nice and $40 when on sale. I can't see myself buying any shoes from there either. Cole Haan runs good specials online on a regular basis that I've seen a lot.
CH looks good but I find them to be almost disposable in terms of quality. A step up from Kenneth Cole brand(s) maybe but they also fall about in about a year of regular use. The difference is KC stuff looks like it is falling apart. CH, on the other hand, just does one day almost out of the blue.

CH looks good but I find them to be almost disposable in terms of quality. A step up from Kenneth Cole brand(s) maybe but they also fall about in about a year of regular use. The difference is KC stuff looks like it is falling apart. CH, on the other hand, just does one day almost out of the blue.
Yeah, I tend to agree. CH has some nice higher end shoes that normally won't be on sale. You can tell by the quality in person but tough online. Stick to Allen Edmonds for dress if you don't feel like shopping around.

Interesting, I've never had that.problem with CH. KC are ugly.

What's the FBG go-to brand for reasonably-priced simple yet generally-presentable t-shirts? I have a few H&M v-necks that I picked up awhile back that I do like, but as people accurately pointed out a few pages back, the quality is kinda crappy and they're a bit threadbare after a few washes. I like the fit and the feel of them, but worry about the quality and I don't think these are going to hold up. Not looking to break the bank here...I think I paid like $6/shirt for the H&M ones a few months back....but it'd be nice to pick up a decent looking shirt or two that won't fall apart in 6 months. Ideas?
H&M is rubbish. If you're cheap, go with Uniqlo (if you have one nearby. not sure if they're online yet) or Merona from your local Target.
I bought some of the Merona ones and found them boxy. The width and length were basically identical (size L). And the v doesn't dip far enough unless you're rolling with the top button fastened. :shrug:

Edit: or maybe it was Mossimo. :oldunsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for some new casual sneaks. Retro is OK (think Vans), cool textiles are a plus. Show me what you workin wit...
used to be hard (10 yrs ago) to find cool kicks at a reasonable price....now, all sorts of casual sneaks for a reasonable price. I'm partial to Common Projects (http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=502707118&cgid=mens-shoes&index=0 ) but you can find some more affordable options from the likes of Fred Perry and ALIFE on zappos and amazon.
450?!? :lmao: Jeebus...
Wouldn't be caught wearing those if they paid me 450.

What's the FBG go-to brand for reasonably-priced simple yet generally-presentable t-shirts? I have a few H&M v-necks that I picked up awhile back that I do like, but as people accurately pointed out a few pages back, the quality is kinda crappy and they're a bit threadbare after a few washes. I like the fit and the feel of them, but worry about the quality and I don't think these are going to hold up. Not looking to break the bank here...I think I paid like $6/shirt for the H&M ones a few months back....but it'd be nice to pick up a decent looking shirt or two that won't fall apart in 6 months. Ideas?
H&M is rubbish. If you're cheap, go with Uniqlo (if you have one nearby. not sure if they're online yet) or Merona from your local Target.
I bought some of the Merona ones and found them boxy. The width and length were basically identical (size L). And the v doesn't dip far enough unless you're rolling with the top button fastened. :shrug: Edit: or maybe it was Mossimo. :oldunsure:
Not a fan of the Merona tees, too boxy as you said. Mossimo has some decent slimmer fitting ones. Target used to carry a great Mossimo athletic fit polo a while back, but they jacked that up and quit making them. Loved those!

I'm looking for some new casual sneaks. Retro is OK (think Vans), cool textiles are a plus. Show me what you workin wit...
used to be hard (10 yrs ago) to find cool kicks at a reasonable price....now, all sorts of casual sneaks for a reasonable price. I'm partial to Common Projects (http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=502707118&cgid=mens-shoes&index=0 ) but you can find some more affordable options from the likes of Fred Perry and ALIFE on zappos and amazon.
They're ridiculous looking.

Yeah, those are pretty awful.

Yeah, those are pretty awful.
dude, TI was wearing a similar pair in Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines video. That's :style:

These look pretty good for a fairly casual leather laced shoe... Armani Collezioni
Those sold out quickly, but how about these Doucal's? Or these Ciro Lendini?

Also, any experience with yoox.com? Prices seem pretty good.

yoox.com offers an edited range of end-of-season clothing and accessories from the world’s most prestigious designers. The YOOX price is equivalent to approximately half the designer's original suggested price. The savings may be further increased in the event of promotions and sales: in this case, the initial YOOX price will be crossed out and may be reduced by up to 90% off the original price.

Disco Stu said:
Disco Stu said:
These look pretty good for a fairly casual leather laced shoe... Armani Collezioni

yoox.com offers an edited range of end-of-season clothing and accessories from the world’s most prestigious designers. The YOOX price is equivalent to approximately half the designer's original suggested price. The savings may be further increased in the event of promotions and sales: in this case, the initial YOOX price will be crossed out and may be reduced by up to 90% off the original price.
def not the second....first looks good just haven't worn that brand before.

edit: I'd pay $50 more for these...watch them, they'll prob discount them if you're patient: http://www.zappos.com/john-varvatos-dress-oxford-black-calf-skin?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

Disco Stu said:
Disco Stu said:

edit: I'd pay $50 more for these...watch them, they'll prob discount them if you're patient: http://www.zappos.com/john-varvatos-dress-oxford-black-calf-skin?zfcTest=fcl%3A0
China > Italy ?

And now that I think about it more, I should probably avoid that plain style. My feet are big, so it's generally helpful to break it up with at least a cap-toe.

Disco Stu said:
Disco Stu said:

China > Italy ?

And now that I think about it more, I should probably avoid that plain style. My feet are big, so it's generally helpful to break it up with at least a cap-toe.
not a big deal anymore...China is on point with right direction on design and quality material. These shoes in Italy would run you $500+

Have a family wedding this Saturday. What color shirt should I go with for my navy suit if I don't want to go white? Light blue is the safe choice but I was thinking with a light pink shirt with a navy tie. Have pale skin tones with blue eyes so I'm not really into yellows or darker colors.

Have a family wedding this Saturday. What color shirt should I go with for my navy suit if I don't want to go white? Light blue is the safe choice but I was thinking with a light pink shirt with a navy tie. Have pale skin tones with blue eyes so I'm not really into yellows or darker colors.
Just so I have it straight, you are asking for color that is not white, not yellow, not light blue, and not a darker color?

the nice thing about navy blue suit is it goes with most everything. Light pink would be fine. I personally like mixing in striped shirts with solid suits, so would go with a white striped shirt for variety, and solid tie, chosen to match.

Just so I have it straight, you are asking for color that is not white, not yellow, not light blue, and not a darker color?

the nice thing about navy blue suit is it goes with most everything. Light pink would be fine. I personally like mixing in striped shirts with solid suits, so would go with a white striped shirt for variety, and solid tie, chosen to match.
Thanks... Basically asking whether I should go Light Blue shirt or Light Pink.

I need some new shoes. Before I shoot the lock off the wallet and pay $300 or $400... any thoughts on any of the brands/styles mentioned here? The Best Looking Men's Dress Shoes Under $200
Too Boot and Billy Reid for the win. Shame those white Billy Reid wingtips aren't for sale anymore. Major wants to buy :kicksrock:

These are timeless shoes here if you lads looking for a classic black dress shoe: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XUTH4W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005XUTH4W&linkCode=as2&tag=dappered-20

Where can I get heather gray v-necks for cheap; like a 2-3 pack for ~$12? My local Macy's only has white and black undershirts.
I have no idea where to buy undershirts but sure Target or Walmart has them for super cheap.
Target has some decent and cheap undershirts with their Merona brand.Also, for anybody that has an H&M nearby check them out....got a number of different colored plain v-necks from there last summer for cheap.

Outside of undershirts, H&M is a solid place for :style: on the cheap. The clothes there aren't the greatest of quality, but it's a great place to try out some stuff that you wouldn't normally get because it's a bit outside of your comfort zone to drop the coin on with the same look from top designers.
I'll take your H&M and raise you Uniqlo - A great store in NYC that was recently brought from Japan.
Agree, Uniqlo is solid and in the same mold as H&M....believe I visited one last summer on an NYC trip. Unfortunately if you don't live in NYC you're out of luck. H&M isn't everywhere, but if we have one in Milwaukee I'm assuming many large cities have one as well.
Looks like Uniqlo is coming to North Jersey and Cali in early October: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/new-stores/

This place has always intrigued me since I've first seen it/heard about it. I live in Central NJ, so the North NJ locations are a bit more palatable of a drive for me than going into the City location.

I'm in just to try out the non-iron dress shirts. Normally roll Brooks Brothers, but willing to try any out when I need new shirts and it's not a BB sale time. Anyways, looking around the site they have quite a few items I'd be interested in for a Fall/Winter re-fresh. Casual long sleeve shirts look solid, like the faux shearing-lined hoodie's at the price point of $40, which I like for casual wear. Where I'm really going nuts is the 100% Cashmere sweaters for $90.

I am going to pretty much re-fresh my sweater collection, as well as any other Fall/Winter shirts I might want, if these are of decent or better quality/make. Can anybody speak to this from past experience? Going to hit the store in October to get a feel for sizing of their brand, etc.

Thanks in advance.

What's the official ruling on straight leg cords or jeans with the hems cutoff (though proper length), flannel or cotton snap plaid shirt or a snug, but not tight tshirt; nose ring, a few regular rings (so the sun can glint off my middle finger), with brown 3/4 boot or skate shoes?

What's the official ruling on straight leg cords or jeans with the hems cutoff (though proper length), flannel or cotton snap plaid shirt or a snug, but not tight tshirt; nose ring, a few regular rings (so the sun can glint off my middle finger), with brown 3/4 boot or skate shoes?
Beat it, hoodlum!

I've been getting a lot of compliments from teh wimmenz on mi Cole Haan grey wingtip dress/sneaks...they got an ill neon green base. Just saying fellas, time to step it up and stop dressing like slobs. Women notice and that's why most of you are racist.

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-lunargrand-wingtip-charcoal-grey-suede?ef_id=UV3h1gAABCqO0TDr:20130920073723:s&zfcTest=fcl%3A0
I'm going to pass on the sartorial equivalent of a rice roller with neon underlights.

How about a guy wearing argyle socks with a pair of toms "slippers" in a casual office? The pink argyle socks matched a pink polo, if that helps.

I've been getting a lot of compliments from teh wimmenz on mi Cole Haan grey wingtip dress/sneaks...they got an ill neon green base. Just saying fellas, time to step it up and stop dressing like slobs. Women notice and that's why most of you are racist.

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-lunargrand-wingtip-charcoal-grey-suede?ef_id=UV3h1gAABCqO0TDr:20130920073723:s&zfcTest=fcl%3A0
I'm going to pass on the sartorial equivalent of a rice roller with neon underlights.
that's cool...have fun in those Vibrams you fat slob

Those soles are freaking ugly, otherwise nice shoes. I wouldn't pay over $100 for them, though.

How about a guy wearing argyle socks with a pair of toms "slippers" in a casual office? The pink argyle socks matched a pink polo, if that helps.
What color are the pants and shoes? I can't say I own any pink socks. Pink argyle sounds like it would be too loud for socks IMO. I don't like my socks to jump out and take over the entire outfit.

I've got these (similar idea)

http://www.jackthreads.com/jd-fisk/footwear/shoes/cam/products/124908?vc=180&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=criteo_activeplus

Users who are viewing this thread