What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The forgotten men (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
We see it every year-the rookie class gets so much hype and promise that it completely shoves developing players and aging vets into a closet. Maybe the developing players disappointed by failing to have instant impact and the vets just don't look as sexy with a "3" by their age when all these kids coming out are early 20's.

BUT...there is almost always extreme value in these guys and patience and smart shopping pays off.

Just like Gates was reported dead and Emmanuel Sanders was "kinda" overlooked despite falling into a good situation, there's good things to be found for the thrifty bargain hunter.

Who you guys got?

On the young side, I'm going to make a case for Marquise Lee in JAX. It wasn't all that long ago that this guy was a blue chip and now you never hear his name.

On the vet side, I'll offer Frank Gore. He's probably not as forgotten as Doug martin at this point but Seems like he could potentially have one of his best FF years in Indy.

What say you?

On the young side, I like Charles Sims... for some reason nobody is talking about him. But I'm not a fan of Martin's and I feel like the team likes Sims better as well. That said, I haven't heard much buzz surrounding him recently at all. With Winston, Evans, ASJ opening up the field, whoever stats for TB will see open field in front of them. Sims can do it all too as he's a great pass catcher. Remember, he was very hyped going into last year prior to his injury.

On the vet side, I'll go with Danny Woodhead. Part of this hinges on the Chargers keeping Rivers and also not landing Gurley or Gordon in the draft. But I can see Woodhead having another one of those amazing quiet seasons in FF we know him for.

CJ Spiller as well here, I think a lot of people are writing him off for some reason right now. While I feel like there's a good chance he posts 60-70 receptions on that Saints team.

Eventually Frank Gore's wheels fall off. So I like Dan Herron as the cheap & forgotten Indy RB.

Greg Jennings and Colston might have 1 more good year in them.

J Stewart finally drops Deangelo's competition and runs with the job.

Great topic Shutout.

A couple of guys on the radar:

• Andre Ellington - Injuries last year
  • Matt Cassel - Should outperform his draft position this year. Lots of weapons added
  • Cody Latimer - Should take a step forward this year
  • Josh Hill/Ben Watson - Watching NO carefully. They have a lot of players for their TE, who will be the guy getting the reps.
  • Latavius Murray - Injuries, but came on strong.
  • Josh Huff - Kelley likes him and he's from Oregon. With Maclin moving out, does this open the door for the kid who knows the system?
  • Ladarius Green - People drafted him over Gates last year. He slips in the draft and I'll take a flyer on him for upside.
  • Paul Richardson - I think he has great potential. Spent a year in the SEA system and I think he can surpass Kearse for the WR2 slot
My initial thoughts.. sure to change 1000 times before the start of preseason.

On the young side, I like Charles Sims... for some reason nobody is talking about him. But I'm not a fan of Martin's and I feel like the team likes Sims better as well. That said, I haven't heard much buzz surrounding him recently at all. With Winston, Evans, ASJ opening up the field, whoever stats for TB will see open field in front of them. Sims can do it all too as he's a great pass catcher. Remember, he was very hyped going into last year prior to his injury.

On the vet side, I'll go with Danny Woodhead. Part of this hinges on the Chargers keeping Rivers and also not landing Gurley or Gordon in the draft. But I can see Woodhead having another one of those amazing quiet seasons in FF we know him for.

CJ Spiller as well here, I think a lot of people are writing him off for some reason right now. While I feel like there's a good chance he posts 60-70 receptions on that Saints team.
In PPR leagues, he's been my bread and butter for years.

In regard to Woodhead, I can see 1 fairly good year - 2013.

[SIZE=medium]Att Yds TD Fum Lost Rec Yds TD Tgt [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]106 425 2 2 76 605 6 87[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Not getting the love for him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

Nice call on both. For as much hype as Spiller had always had, he is completely looked over now. Sims, wow. When I read your post I was like "oh yeah." Completely forgotten guy.

In regard to Woodhead, I can see 1 fairly good year - 2013.

[SIZE=medium]Att Yds TD Fum Lost Rec Yds TD Tgt [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]106 425 2 2 76 605 6 87[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Not getting the love for him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
Agree on Woodhead. I can remember some interest, in general about him, but outside that one year a few years ago, I think I actually picked him up off waivers as a desperation measure and he just kind of stuck that year.

Joique Bell. Bush gone. He's not a top 10 option most likely but he'll probably get drafted later than he produces.

Joique Bell. Bush gone. He's not a top 10 option most likely but he'll probably get drafted later than he produces.
Hearing a lot about the Lions drafting a Rb (one that might be able to play on all downs). I think that may be holding him back.

Hearing a lot about the Lions drafting a Rb (one that might be able to play on all downs). I think that may be holding him back.
I don't see a great change in Bell's situation, unless Riddick just can't put it together. This will be his third year now and should compliment Bell quiet well.

Great topic. I'll throw my guys out in a second, but I'll play wet blanket first...

Sims (RB45) - I forget where I saw it, but he was crap as a runner last year while decent as a receiver. Probably best suited for 3rd down duties while Martin (RB34) plods through his last year in TB or Rainey, who actually did the best of the three, takes over on 1st/2nd down. Rainey is truly the forgotten man here. Sims is still going too high for me.

Gore (RB16) - there have only been three RBs at age 32 to gain 1000 yards and two of them were special cases (Mike Anderson - was 32 in only his 5th NFL season and Ricky Williams - essentially missed 3 seasons). Maybe Gore can be the next Emmitt Smith, but even Emmitt's age 32 season was only 3.9 ypc so he did it largely on volume. At RB16, he's a high end RB2 which seems overpriced rather than forgotten.

Bell (RB18) - like others have said, Riddick will fill in the void left by Reggie. No real change here to get excited about.

Latimer (WR50) - possibly a good player, but just not enough passes to go around. Could be huge given an injury, though.

My list of forgotten players:

QB21 - Palmer - he's a great fit with Arians and people forget how well he was doing before injury.

WR31 - Floyd - he's a great post-hype steal. After being a popular breakout candidate last year, people feel burnt. The return of Palmer will be good for him.

WR39 - Fitzgerald - won't put up flashy numbers but he's still a good bet in the red zone.

WR42 - Decker - bad situation + injuries have led to bargain prices for a guy who was actually solid while semi-healthy last year. Chan Gailey + Fitzpatrick will be great for him.

WR70 - Britt - even as the WR2 to Quick, he should be better than 70. If Quick's injury actually keep him out, this is a steal.

WR71 - Stevie - only 28, he's almost totally forgotten despite three consecutive 1000 yard seasons in Buffalo not long ago. Actually looked really good last year, albeit in a limited role. Now he's playing with the best QB of his career and still in his prime.

WR73 - Randle - had a strong 2nd half of the season. Cruz no guarantee to be healthy.

WR?? - Miles Austin - a totally forgotten man. Turns 31 which is when WRs start to lose a little bit, but not enough to matter if he is able to grab the WR2 job in Philly. Chip knows how to cure the injury bug.

RB26 - Spiller - so much hype and then 2 years of Dud Marrone have made him a great post-hype pick, doubly so after being signed by Sean Payton who WILL use him more like Gailey and less like Marrone.

RB29 - Blount - currently sitting atop the Patriots depth chart.

RB44 - Riddick - he's inheriting the Reggie Bush role at a minimum and only 3.9 ypc Joique Bell stands in his way of carries between the 20s.

RB?? - Rainey - quietly the best runner on the team last year.

TE17 - Davis - SF will likely be a dumpster fire, but it would be criminal to ignore Davis again this year. So talented.

TE22 - Eifert - healthy and without Gresham, the former 21st overall pick is being totally overlooked in just his 3rd year

TE26 - V.Green - everyone is scared off by the Owen Daniels signing, but OD isn't really the picture of health. The well rounded Green will get his chance sometime this year.

TE28 - Heath - despite 66 rec and 761 yards, he's probably going undrafted due to only 3 TDs and another year of age. The dependable Miller shouldn't be forgotten already.

TE?? - L.Green - Gates' TD aberration made everyone forget about the most gifted receiver on the team. Will the staff finally be forced to utilize him?

Users who are viewing this thread