What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The importance of a good front office (1 Viewer)

Steelers4Life

Footballguy
I definitely value a coach's ability to get the most out of his players, but the front office has to give him the right players. I actually think that's been the key to the Steelers' successes.In Pittsburgh, Kevin Colbert took over for Tom Donahoe for the 2000 draft. Since then, the draft has yielded the following starters on this year's Super Bowl team:2000 - Marvel Smith (2), Clark Haggans (5)2001 - Casey Hampton (1)2002 - Kendall Simmons (1), Antwaan Randle-El (2), Chris Hope (3), Larry Foote (4)2003 - Troy Polamalu (1), Ike Taylor (4)2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (1), Max Starks (3)That's 11 of the 22 starters drafted in the past 6 years, and Willie Parker was brought in undrafted. Add to that Verron Haynes (2002, 5), Brett Keisel (2002, 7), Ricardo Colclough (2004, 2), Heath Miller (2005, 1), and Bryant McFadden (2005, 2), and those are a lot of impact players drafted by Kevin Colbert in assembling this teamTom Donahoe's taken some flack, but his last 2 drafts were spectacular too.1998 - Alan Faneca (1), Hines Ward (4), Deshea Townsend (5)1999 - Joey Porter (3), Aaron Smith (4), Jerame Tuman (5)That's 17 drafted starters and 1 undrafted starter on a Super Bowl team. Kimo, Hartings, Farrior, and Kreider are the only other starters.Any other teams have recent draft success comparable to this?

I definitely value a coach's ability to get the most out of his players, but the front office has to give him the right players. I actually think that's been the key to the Steelers' successes.

In Pittsburgh, Kevin Colbert took over for Tom Donahoe for the 2000 draft. Since then, the draft has yielded the following starters on this year's Super Bowl team:

2000 - Marvel Smith (2), Clark Haggans (5)

2001 - Casey Hampton (1)

2002 - Kendall Simmons (1), Antwaan Randle-El (2), Chris Hope (3), Larry Foote (4)

2003 - Troy Polamalu (1), Ike Taylor (4)

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (1), Max Starks (3)

That's 11 of the 22 starters drafted in the past 6 years, and Willie Parker was brought in undrafted. Add to that Verron Haynes (2002, 5), Brett Keisel (2002, 7), Ricardo Colclough (2004, 2), Heath Miller (2005, 1), and Bryant McFadden (2005, 2), and those are a lot of impact players drafted by Kevin Colbert in assembling this team

Tom Donahoe's taken some flack, but his last 2 drafts were spectacular too.

1998 - Alan Faneca (1), Hines Ward (4), Deshea Townsend (5)

1999 - Joey Porter (3), Aaron Smith (4), Jerame Tuman (5)

That's 17 drafted starters and 1 undrafted starter on a Super Bowl team. Kimo, Hartings, Farrior, and Kreider are the only other starters.

Any other teams have recent draft success comparable to this?
So what happened to Donahoe in Buffalo? And didn't Colbert come out of the Lion's front office?I don't think its any one person in Pittsburgh, but the entire organization.

I think part of what happened to Donahoe in Buffalo is they somewhat lacked an identitiy.Every football fan knows what the Steelers identity is: Run the ball & play strong defense against the run. It's not that they can't do other things, like pass or run gadget plays, or defend the pass. But the key to the team is to have certain players who fit your system.Steelers have an edge because they've had the same m.o. since the last coach, and that's been conistent for decades. So you don't worry about having guys ont he roster who don't fit the system - nobody's drafted those guys since the system is unchanged.The best coach or GM for a team is not always the guy who is simply the best coach or GM. Soem guys are better with young talent, or old talent, or a particular type of scheme, and the players they have don't necessarily fit what they are best at.

I think part of what happened to Donahoe in Buffalo is they somewhat lacked an identitiy.
Well, he also hired two bad head coaches. We had three candidates to replace Wade Phillips: Marvin Lewis, John Fox, and Gregg Williams. Ouch. And he never passed on an opportunity to draft a sexy skill position player (especially WRs) when we had burning needs on both lines. Ever notice how McGahee consistently gets stuffed 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage every time we have 3rd and 1? That's the product of years of neglect.

A lot of the criticism that came Donahoe's way was undeserved (the McGahee pick, trading for Bledsoe, cutting Bledsoe, trading Henry), but he still made a mess of the organization.

I definitely value a coach's ability to get the most out of his players, but the front office has to give him the right players.  I actually think that's been the key to the Steelers' successes.

In Pittsburgh, Kevin Colbert took over for Tom Donahoe for the 2000 draft.  Since then, the draft has yielded the following starters on this year's Super Bowl team:

2000 - Marvel Smith (2), Clark Haggans (5)

2001 - Casey Hampton (1)

2002 - Kendall Simmons (1), Antwaan Randle-El (2), Chris Hope (3), Larry Foote (4)

2003 - Troy Polamalu (1), Ike Taylor (4)

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (1), Max Starks (3)

That's 11 of the 22 starters drafted in the past 6 years, and Willie Parker was brought in undrafted.  Add to that Verron Haynes (2002, 5), Brett Keisel (2002, 7), Ricardo Colclough (2004, 2), Heath Miller (2005, 1), and Bryant McFadden (2005, 2), and those are a lot of impact players drafted by Kevin Colbert in assembling this team

Tom Donahoe's taken some flack, but his last 2 drafts were spectacular too.

1998 - Alan Faneca (1), Hines Ward (4), Deshea Townsend (5)

1999 - Joey Porter (3), Aaron Smith (4), Jerame Tuman (5)

That's 17 drafted starters and 1 undrafted starter on a Super Bowl team.  Kimo, Hartings, Farrior, and Kreider are the only other starters.

So what happened to Donahoe in Buffalo? And didn't Colbert come out of the Lion's front office?I don't think its any one person in Pittsburgh, but the entire organization.
Yes quite a few of the people in Pitts front office is from Detroit. :(

Like Pittsburgh the Pats have had draft success recently which is one of the reasons they are both top shelf franchises:05-Mankins, Kazcur, Hobbs

04-Wilfork, Watson

03-Warren, Wilson, Samuel, Koppen

02-Graham, Branch, J.Green, Givens

01-Seymour, Light

00-Brady

Paxton, Gay and Neal were also signed as undrafted free agents during this period. That means the Pats (if healthy which never happens) currently start 9 draft picks/undrafted free agents on offense in Givens, Branch, Watson, Graham, Brady, Light, Neal, Koppen and Mankins and 8 on defense in Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Bruschi, McGinest, Samuel, Hobbs and Wilson. Vinatieri was also an undrafted free agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread