What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Jetsons are coming to the NFL. (1 Viewer)

The interactive touchscreen TV's the analysts and announcers use are annoying too. Seems like most of the guys can barely figure out how to use them.

And what was up with the extra hash marks on the field? Is that a new NFL thing, or just something on that particular jv field?

Last edited by a moderator:
And what was up with the extra hash marks on the field? Is that a new NFL thing, or just something on that particular jv field?
High School (outside marks), college marks (middle marks) and NFL marks (inside marks) as that is a multi-level artificial-turf field.

That is basically the only field you will see all 3 sets of hash marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bucs were one of the first teams to go electronic when Raheem Morris was the coach. The playbook was an iPad. Then Schiano got here, and he "didn't do computers" so back to a huge playbook. Now they are back on tablets, but the MS Surface.

Why are they using the MS Surface all of a sudden? Did MS sign a deal with the league? Maybe better security?

The Bucs were one of the first teams to go electronic when Raheem Morris was the coach. The playbook was an iPad. Then Schiano got here, and he "didn't do computers" so back to a huge playbook. Now they are back on tablets, but the MS Surface.

Why are they using the MS Surface all of a sudden? Did MS sign a deal with the league? Maybe better security?
Probably didn't want to share their playbook with iTunes...

As much sense as it makes, they REALLY need to do some training. It was painful to watch some of those old schoolers with busted up knobby lineman hands trying to manipulate that tablet.

Also interesting that the paper option was still available.. You KNOW there are some teams out there (looking at you Niners, Giants, Ravens, etc) that are going to wear that paper like a badge of honor...doing it the "old school" way.

They also mentioned that the league office head of officiating will have HD access to the same 3-5 screens that the ref has access to under the hood and can help interpret plays under review. Now that makes sense but I only like it if it's consistent; meaning that every game (not just TNF, MNF) has access. Which I guess would make the officiating guy pretty busy. But still, its a great idea. Go to the source. Get it right out of the horse's mouth and get it right as best you can.

Which brings me to this question: Why on Earth have they not put chips in these balls that can determine precisely the location of the ball in short yardage situations, goal line situations, and out of bound type close calls?

Which brings me to this question: Why on Earth have they not put chips in these balls that can determine precisely the location of the ball in short yardage situations, goal line situations, and out of bound type close calls?
I've been saying this for years. Sync up the data and time on the chip with the video feed and check for knees being down if necessary, etc. Seems so easy.

I've been saying this for years. Sync up the data and time on the chip with the video feed and check for knees being down if necessary, etc. Seems so easy.
Even soccer, which is so far behind the times they don't even stop the clock when play stops, has put chips in the ball.

FreeBaGeL said:
Even soccer, which is so far behind the times they don't even stop the clock when play stops, has put chips in the ball.
Kind of makes you wonder if there is conspiracy here to save face on the refs. I bet you would find a good number of things that are inconsistent if you used that technology.

Admittedly, it would have to be used in specific situations or it would bog the game down (can't be spotting the ball with it after every play...I guess).

It's all about $$$, has nothing to do with enhancing the game or making it better or keeping up with the times. Do people understand there are lots of places in the world where the internet is not even common? Let alone surface tablets. How did they ever survive back in the 50s and 60s?

I only bring it up because you need to recognize the NFL for what it truly is and that's one big marketing machine. $400M multi-year deal is what I heard. This wasn't thought of by the rules committee and they weren't racking their brains at the owner's meetings trying to figure out a better way to communicate on the field. This is something that is deigned to look cool on TV and sell surface tablets, plain and simple.

So the NFL aligned themselves with MS instead of Apple on this deal. Meanwhile they have a terrific package thru Apple for the NFL Ticket this season. So the NFL needed to extend the olive branch to Microsoft and allow them to be their GO TO for this over the next few years, terrific.

The NFL is making money on Apple and Microsoft this year by the truckload, good for the shield.

It's all about $$$, has nothing to do with enhancing the game or making it better or keeping up with the times. Do people understand there are lots of places in the world where the internet is not even common? Let alone surface tablets. How did they ever survive back in the 50s and 60s?

I only bring it up because you need to recognize the NFL for what it truly is and that's one big marketing machine. $400M multi-year deal is what I heard. This wasn't thought of by the rules committee and they weren't racking their brains at the owner's meetings trying to figure out a better way to communicate on the field. This is something that is deigned to look cool on TV and sell surface tablets, plain and simple.

So the NFL aligned themselves with MS instead of Apple on this deal. Meanwhile they have a terrific package thru Apple for the NFL Ticket this season. So the NFL needed to extend the olive branch to Microsoft and allow them to be their GO TO for this over the next few years, terrific.

The NFL is making money on Apple and Microsoft this year by the truckload, good for the shield.
So what you are saying, in not so difficult terms, is that Mr. Spacely is competing with Mr. Cogswell? I think Uniblab is going to have something to say about this. This game is just getting started.

Dude, the files are inside the computer.

Hmm the NFL is big biz? Where'd you get that impression, Mr. Commish? Wipe that look off your face.

Users who are viewing this thread