What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (5 Viewers)

Eight Miles High - Leo Kottke (The Byrds)

Leo Kottke is a guitar player known for his fingerpicking style of guitar. I was made aware of him through a different forum because somebody had recommended this cover as worthy of a listen. I listened and agreed and thought the source material and interpretation were so strong as to deserve mention here. That’s about it. Love his baritone and love the soaring guitar that goes along with this. The original happens to be one of my favorite songs ever, and the cover is a cool thing to hear.
A very young Kottke appears in this episode of The Midnight Special which was recently uploaded to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQ1FpW2MyY
And this episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlJTLsc1ofs is hosted by Jim Croce. I think it's @Mrs. Rannous who's a huge fan of his.

Leo Kottke is a guitar player known for his fingerpicking style of guitar. I was made aware of him through a different forum because somebody had recommended this cover as worthy of a listen. I listened and agreed and thought the source material and interpretation were so strong as to deserve mention here. That’s about it. Love his baritone and love the soaring guitar that goes along with this. The original happens to be one of my favorite songs ever, and the cover is a cool thing to hear.
A very young Kottke appears in this episode of The Midnight Special which was recently uploaded to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQ1FpW2MyY
And this episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlJTLsc1ofs is hosted by Jim Croce. I think it's @Mrs. Rannous who's a huge fan of his.
On this episode we learn that Little Anthony and the Imperials covered Dance to the Music and Everyday People. 🤔

I think Simey is a fan, too.

Went out to a show tonight, bonus points for v-day but mostly because we both love the band. It was billed as The Veils but it was just Finn Andrews playing solo switching off between acoustic guitar and piano. I know @Dr. Octopus is a fan and I've drafted them a bunch of times on here. I'd pick them for MAD 31s but Time Stays, We Go isn't on Spotify.

Anyhow, great show as expected. Finn/The Veils has a mesmerizing stage presence who can switch from charming banter to blazing intensity in an instant. But apropos to the thread, he/they played two covers: "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson and "Lullaby of London" by The Pogues.

Not sure if you've seen, but Jim's son A.J. is on tour playing his dad's material as "Croce Plays Croce". Doesn't look like he's near either of you two (Mrs. R and simey) though.

Last edited:
Went out to a show tonight, bonus points for v-day but mostly because we both love the band. It was billed as The Veils but it was just Finn Andrews playing solo switching off between acoustic guitar and piano. I know @Dr. Octopus is a fan and I've drafted them a bunch of times on here. I'd pick them for MAD 31s but Time Stays, We Go isn't on Spotify.

Anyhow, great show as expected. Finn/The Veils has a mesmerizing stage presence who can switch from charming banter to blazing intensity in an instant. But apropos to the thread, he/they played two covers: "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson and "Lullaby of London" by The Pogues.
Big Veils fan. I’ve drafted a few songs over the years as well. I’ve never seen them/him live though.

Please, please, please

Not sure if you've seen, but Jim's son A.J. is on tour playing his dad's material as "Croce Plays Croce". Doesn't look like he's near either of you two (Mrs. R and simey) though.

AJ's really good. His own material is strong.

Always loved his dad. One of the best (if not THE best) of the singer-songwriter bunch in the 70s. Of course, he never gets mentioned among Joni, the Simons, and the rest in any musical history tomes. Because he didn't write 7th grade poetry like the others, I guess?

Please, please, please

AJ's really good. His own material is strong.

Always loved his dad. One of the best (if not THE best) of the singer-songwriter bunch in the 70s. Of course, he never gets mentioned among Joni, the Simons, and the rest in any musical history tomes. Because he didn't write 7th grade poetry like the others, I guess?
I had no idea for a long time that Croce was a Philly guy. Born in South Philly, mainly grew up in nearby Upper Darby, PA (which is also the home of Todd Rundgren and Tina Fey). Philly media never says anything about him being one of the city's own.

I saw AJ about 15 months ago. Very good show. I still have some very good recordings on my phone from that show... He's coming back to Boise later this year and already have my tickets.

Eight-Point Selections:

Uruk-Hai:

Spanish Harlem - Aretha Franklin (Ben E. King)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote

titusbramble:

Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (Gwen McCrae)
Song: two votes – Pet Shop Boys (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Always on My Mind (2)
Original artist: two votes – Always on My Mind (2)

Pip’s Invitation:

Rockin' in the Free World – Pearl Jam (Neil Young)
Cover artist: three votes – Rockin’ in the Free World (1); Baba O’Riley (1); It’s O.K. (1)

Dr. Octopus:

Hurricane – Ani DiFranco (Robert Zimmerman)
Original artist: 12 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

St. James Infirmary – Bobby “Blue” Bland (Louis Armstrong)

Just Win Baby:

Purple Rain - Adam Levine and Train (Prince) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Cover artist: first vote for each

Galileo:

Not Fade Away - Grateful Dead (Buddy Holly)
Cover artist: four votes – Not Fade Away (1); Mama Tried (1); Big River (1); Monkey and the Engineer (1)

Don Quixote:

We Must Be in Love - The Impressions (The Five Stairsteps & Cubie)
Original artist: first vote each

simsarge:

Gimme Three Steps - Disco Biscuits (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Charlie Steiner:

Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) - Us3 (Herbie Hancock)

JMLs secret identity:

Rock Me - Brendon (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Original artist: seven votes – Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place/Don't Bring Me Down/It's My Life - David Johansen (The Animals)
Song: first vote each

John Maddens Lunchbox:

I Don’t Want to Talk About it - Rod Stewart (Crazy Horse)

Ilov80s:

Style - Ryan Adams (Taylor Swift)

Eephus:

Every 1's a Winner - Ty Segall (Hot Chocolate)

The Dreaded Marco:

Farewell Transmission - Kevin Morby, Waxahatchee (Songs:Ohia)
Cover artist: first vote each

New Binky the Doormat:

Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - Todd Rundgren (The Yardbirds)

Andy Dufresne:

Get It On, Bang A Gong – Power Station (T-Rex)

Hawks64:

Super Freak - Dave Matthews Band (Rick James)
Cover artist: five votes – Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)

rockaction:

New York Groove – Ace Frehley (Hello)

Scoresman:

Oops I Did It Again - Children of Bodom (Britney Spears)

Raging weasel:

Drive My Car – The Donnas (The Beatles)
Original artist: 10 votes – Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); We Can Work It Out (1); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (1); Yesterday (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1); In My Life (1)

scorchy:

Epic - Shovels & Rope and Lera Lynn (Faith No More)
Song: two votes (Shovels & Rope and Lera Lynn)
Cover artist: two votes each – Epic (2)
Original artist: two votes – Epic (2)

Mrs. Rannous:

Personal Jesus - Def Leppard (Depeche Mode)

Mt. Man:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Dream Theater (Elton John)
Original artist: three votes – Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (1); Bennie & The Jets (1); Border Song (1)

Mister CIA:

Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt (Rolling Stones)

Val Rannous:

I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival (Gladys Night and the Pips)
Song: two votes – Creedence Clearwater Revival (1); Marvin Gaye (1)
Cover artist: two votes – I Heard It Through the Grapevine (1); Susie Q (1)
Original artist: two votes – I Heard It Through the Grapevine (2)

landrys hat:

Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees (The Beatles)
Original artist: 10 votes – Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); We Can Work It Out (1); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (1); Yesterday (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1); In My Life (1)

shuke:

Gin and Juice - The Gourds (Snoop Dogg)

Doug B:

We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder (The Beatles)
Cover artist: two votes – We Can Work It Out (1); Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (1)

DrIanMalcolm:

Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Roberta Flack)

Chaos34:

Blue Monday - Orgy (Joy Division)
Original artist: two votes – Blue Monday (1); Dead Souls (1)

higgins:

Mercy Street - Al DiMeola (Peter Gabriel)
Original artist: two votes – Mercy Street (1); Games without Frontiers (1)

Oliver Humanzee:

I've Got You Under My Skin - Jawbox (Frank Sinatra)

krista4:

Georgia on my Mind – Ray Charles (Hoagy Carmichael)

Scoresman:

I'll never get enough of metal bands doing covers, and this one well... yeah. I love how it samples the original song and just makes it so you can bang your head to some Britney. Good stuff if a little tongue in cheek.

Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt (Rolling Stones)

I like this one much better than the original, which might not be a surprise. Didn't make my list but was a late cut.

I didn't choose this here because I was not doubling up from prior countdowns, but if I had included, it would have been in my top two.

Don Quixote:

We Must Be in Love - The Impressions (The Five Stairsteps & Cubie)
Well, in case you were wondering where someone goes after a months-long obsession with the socially conscious 60s soul of Nina Simone, it is to Curtis Mayfield, including The Impressions.

This is a bit of a technical cover. This song was written by Curtis Mayfield, and then first recorded by The Five Stairsteps, who he had signed to his record label. Mayfield then recorded it with The Impressions. Per the YouTube comments, this song recently got renewed life in the Adam Sandler vehicle “Murder Mystery” by being featured in that, but I’ll have to take the word of YouTube commenters on that. (Also sampled in the J Dilla song, “Love”.)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Uruk-Hai:

Spanish Harlem - Aretha Franklin (Ben E. King)
A couple of gimmicks I was thinking of were Brill Building/Philles/Lieber-Stoller original songs, or - all covers by Aretha. I gave up on both for various reasons, but mainly because I wanted one song on my list that didn't fit either category and will make everyone here hate me.

King's records with both the Drifters and as a solo artist are timeless - if there were recording studios in the year 1599, his records sound like they could have excited the hip Elizabethan folks; if recorded today, they'd still sound the same. He's one of the great singers in rock history.

So is Franklin. And she "Arethas" this one, as she was wont to do. Gospel organ and background singers. Flying off into notes unheard of. Never loses the groove, though.

Scoresman:

I'll never get enough of metal bands doing covers, and this one well... yeah. I love how it samples the original song and just makes it so you can bang your head to some Britney. Good stuff if a little tongue in cheek.
One of the first albums I went to when looking for some metal covers. This made my top 40 and may or not be in my 31

A friend of mine saw AJ recently on that tour, said it was quite good.

24. Cantaoop (Flip Fantasia) - Us3 (Herbie Hancock)

I knew the 'cover' version long before I even knew the existence of the original. I won't pretend that I'm a hop-hop aficionado, though I will say I've liked this song since it came out.

I discovered the original in a way that only I could have...

One night while bored and scrolling through Amazon Prime's movie catalog, either last year or this past Spring/Summer, I found a long-forgotten movie from my youth: American Pop.

Released in February of '81, a few months before my high school career began, it recalls for me an all too brief period of my life, a time that saw my last years of boys club sports (including slow-pitch softball, where I won the All-Star Game's MVP award), having the trust of my parents to attend midnight movies on my own (the rotation of movies I'd watch included The Warriors, Heavy Metal, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Flesh Gordon when the ushers didn't check ID), and with the video game arcade scene in its ascendancy, there was no end of places in the 'real world' where I could venture.

Anyway, for those familiar with Ralph Bakshi, you probably remember his version of Lord of the Rings or even Wizards more than this, but I was just the right age and maturity level to enjoy it; for those unfamiliar, it's fair to say he was a bit of a hack but was almost the only one to employ rotoscoping in his time.

It had been countless years since I had seen it on cable, so I clicked Play and became 14 again, until I noticed the background music in one of the scenes was a familiar tune I couldn't place. I forwarded to the end credits and found one of the songs was called Cantaloupe Island by Herby Hancock. That ended up being as big of an 'aha!' movie moment as I've ever had.

As for the cover, in addition to adding lyrics, the horns featured are new, so while I don't normally think of songs that sample previous songs as 'covers', I think this one fits our general definition, as the new artists put their fingerprints on this version while also letting the original shine in their new light.

P.S.-for those who don't have Amazon Prime, I discovered it's existence on Youtube.

My great 8's:

Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys
Not Fade Away - Grateful Dead ☠️
Cantaloupe - Us3
Every 1's A Winner - Ty Segall
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - Todd Rundgren
Get It On, Bang A Gong - Power Station ⚡
New York Groove - Ace Frehley
Blue Monday - Orgy
Mercy Street - Al DiMeola
Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles

Song: The Man In Me

Artist: The Band of Heathens and Hayes Carll

Original Artist: Bob Dylan

Original song facts:

The song is most notably featured in the soundtrack to the 1998 Coen Brothers film The Big Lebowski. It plays during the stylized opening title sequence and during the hallucination sequence after the Dude is punched and his rug stolen.

Interesting facts about the cover:

No one reads this so let’s keep it simple: I love this song. I love The Band of Heathens and Hayes Carll.
Hayes Carll and Band of Heathens are touring together this spring. I'm going to see them end of April.

Song: Hurricane

Artist: Ani DiFranco

Original song facts:

"Hurricane" is a protest song by Bob Dylan co-written with Jacques Levy and released as a single in November 1975. It was also included on Dylan's 1976 album Desire. The song is about the imprisonment of boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter (1937–2014). It compiles acts of racism and profiling against Carter, which Dylan describes as leading to a false trial and conviction.

All of Rubin's cards were marked in advance
The trial was a pig-circus, he never had a chance
The judge made Rubin's witnesses drunkards from the slums
To the white folks who watched, he was a revolutionary bum

And for the black folks he was just a crazy ******
No one doubted that he pulled the trigger
And though they could not produce the gun
The D.A. said he was the one who did the deed
And the all-white jury agreed

Ani puts her own stamp on this powerful and important song with her breathy vocals mixed with sparse drumming, a wah wah guitar and funky keyboards.

Song: The Man In Me

Artist: The Band of Heathens and Hayes Carll

Original song facts:

The song is most notably featured in the soundtrack to the 1998 Coen Brothers film The Big Lebowski. It plays during the stylized opening title sequence and during the hallucination sequence after the Dude is punched and his rug stolen.

No one reads this so let’s keep it simple: I love this song. I love The Band of Heathens and Hayes Carll.
Hayes Carll and Band of Heathens are touring together this spring. I'm going to see them end of April.
Nice, I've seen Hayes Carll before and it was a really good show - I'm going to look into this tour. Thanks for heads up.

Covers from #24 that I know and like and haven't mentioned before (Last 5 Out mentions included):

Spanish Harlem - Aretha Franklin (Ben E. King) -- Among the many striking things about Aretha is the interplay she has with her backup singers. This is a very good track to illustrate, as is another that I wouldn't be surprised to see later.
Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) - Us3 (Herbie Hancock)
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place/Don't Bring Me Down/It's My Life - David Johansen (The Animals) -- In that period between the New York Dolls and Buster Poindexter, I remember Johansen having this Animals medley show up on MTV. It was the first I'd heard of him.
I Don’t Want to Talk About it - Rod Stewart (Crazy Horse) -- Rod does a nice job with this, as do Indigo Girls. But the original is still the best version. Danny Whitten was a significant loss to the music world. He could have gotten out from Neil Young's shadow had he been able to keep himself clean.
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - Todd Rundgren (The Yardbirds) -- The first side of Todd's 1976 album Faithful is, you guessed it, faithful covers of songs from 10 years before. Not sure why he did this, nor why he paired the side with a side of originals, some of which are among his very best. But this cover, which kicks off the album, is probably the best of the bunch.
Get It On, Bang A Gong – Power Station (T-Rex) -- It's not as cool as T. Rex because nothing is. But for an '80s jam it slams pretty hard. Filling in for Robert Palmer as frontman of Power Station at Live Aid, Michael Des Barres shouted this to end their set.
New York Groove – Ace Frehley (Hello) -- I knew this was a cover, but forgot about it when putting together my list. It's all good, I've drafted this in other threads.
I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival (Gladys Night and the Pips) -- Unlike Marvin's version, I DO think of this as a cover, probably because it's in a completely different genre. John Fogerty's singing and guitar playing on this track are glorious.
Gin and Juice - The Gourds (Snoop Dogg) -- In the early years of the internet, a file circulated claiming to be Phish covering Gin and Juice. It was actually this version by the Gourds. Drove the people in rec.music.phish crazy.
We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder (The Beatles)
Georgia on my Mind – Ray Charles (Hoagy Carmichael) -- This is so identified with Ray that I never think of it as a cover even though I know it is. I guess I'm the same way with Marvin's version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine. I have seen this performed live by Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton -- and yes, Winwood nailed the vocal.

Gin and Juice - The Gourds (Snoop Dogg) -- In the early years of the internet, a file circulated claiming to be Phish covering Gin and Juice. It was actually this version by the Gourds. Drove the people in rec.music.phish crazy.

Yes - the first time I heard it was from Napster and it credited the song as by Phish. It was a few years later I finally learned otherwise.

This cover cracks me up. I love the cowboy take on hip hop slang.

Users who are viewing this thread