What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (3 Viewers)

I think a lot of musical knowledge discrepancies have to do with age, class, and race, and that there's really no accounting for anybody's experience. Sometimes it just was.
Radio was different in different decades, too. In the late 60s and early 70s here, one AM radio station (WCOG) played a mix of pop, rock, soft rock, folk, r&b, & crossover country. Around the mid-70s, FM radio station (WKZL) played rock, pop, soft rock, funk/disco, r&b, some blues, and played deep cuts, did album hour, and played the King Biscuit Flour Hour. In the early 80s, mainstream new wave filled the airwaves mixed with rock, pop, and some r&b. MTV introduced some music too that wasn't played on mainstream radio. I never heard punk in the 70s or early 80s on mainstream radio. When I went to college in '84, you had to listen to college radio to hear college rock (indie rock) and punk. One of my college roommates did the reggae and jazz hours at WZMB, which was/is ECU's college radio station. There is a mainstream station in Wilmington, NC that I love called The Penguin, 98.3 FM. That Station 95.7 FM in Raleigh is really good, too. Alexa will play both of those stations. These days people can hear lots of genres with streaming.

I think a lot of musical knowledge discrepancies have to do with age, class, and race, and that there's really no accounting for anybody's experience. Sometimes it just was.
Radio was different in different decades, too. In the late 60s and early 70s here, one AM radio station (WCOG) played a mix of pop, rock, soft rock, folk, r&b, & crossover country. Around the mid-70s, FM radio station (WKZL) played rock, pop, soft rock, funk/disco, r&b, some blues, and played deep cuts, did album hour, and played the King Biscuit Flour Hour. In the early 80s, mainstream new wave filled the airwaves mixed with rock, pop, and some r&b. MTV introduced some music too that wasn't played on mainstream radio. I never heard punk in the 70s or early 80s on mainstream radio. When I went to college in '84, you had to listen to college radio to hear college rock (indie rock) and punk. One of my college roommates did the reggae and jazz hours at WZMB, which was/is ECU's college radio station. There is a mainstream station in Wilmington, NC that I love called The Penguin, 98.3 FM. That Station 95.7 FM in Raleigh is really good, too. Alexa will play both of those stations. These days people can hear lots of genres with streaming.
While commercial radio has largely gone the way of the dodo, I find myself listening to "Radio Garden" from time to time. May have mentioned it before, but it's a pretty cool app for anyone that doesn't know of it. Can hear just about any radio station anywhere in the world across any genre.

Last edited:
While commercial radio has largely gone the way of the dodo, I find myself listening to "Radio Garden" from time to time. May have mentioned it before, but it's a pretty cool app for anyone that doesn't know of it. Can hear just about any radio station anywhere in the world across any genre.
I have that app - I'm sure it was at your suggestion here a few years ago. It's really cool.

Uruk-Hai:

Autumn Leaves - Eva Cassidy (Jo Stafford)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote
I wanted an Eva song, but waffled on which to take. I almost pulled the trigger on "Over The Rainbow", but figured that might get picked in several versions and I wanted something a little different.

If "Yesterday" is the most-covered pop song of all time, "Autumn Leaves" has to be second. Pretty much every pop singer and bandleader did a version of it in the 1950s, and many of those were massive hits. It's easy to see why - it has a beautiful melody and melancholy lyrics (by Johnny Mercer) that beg to be sung.

Eva's version was recorded in the 1990s, shortly before her death at 33.

I hope the Wolfpack men and women win this weekend. I'm going to Raleigh later today for the weekend to hang with some friends who will be pulling for the Pack, too. My brother and his gf and someone else flew to Arizona yesterday to go to the Final 4. He does not have the best karma, so I hope he doesn't curse the team from the bleachers. There should be enough good energy there to override the opposite. I hope that Burns doesn't foul out (or Horne or Diarrhea, or any of the Pack). I was reading an article that mentioned the big dude from Purdue doesn't get a lot of fouls called against him, but he fouls out others trying to defend him. Hopefully it will be a fair game, and no matter what the results are at the end, it has been fun running with the Pack over the last few weeks. I do hope both the men and women get one more game. :wolf:
Go State!

I think that unless I'm missing a joke here the maybe real takeaway from this is that in middle-class suburbs around '88-'89 the Stones did not have a large footprint for people our age. They were known, for sure, but they were actually sort of bringing up the rear in the classic rock/local world I grew up in. The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and other acts were the ones I remember my older peers liking.

I had largely the same experience, except I remember hearing songs like "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Gimme Shelter" through cultural osmosis (movies, TV shows, etc.). I wouldn't learn the titles of those songs until college.

I wonder, in retrospect, if part of the Rolling Stones "back seat" role in the mid- to late-1980s was the fact that they never really went away. The Stones hadn't yet settled in as a legacy act. You could probably win a lot of bar bets asking people how many studio albums the Rolling Stones released during the 1980s (answer: five). They were on MTV plenty, as well, though they are not really associated with Music Television today (everyone thinks instead of new wave, hair metal, and Michael Jackson).

Around the mid-70s, FM radio station (WKZL) played rock, pop, soft rock, funk/disco, r&b, some blues, and played deep cuts, did album hour, and played the King Biscuit Flour Hour. In the early 80s, mainstream new wave filled the airwaves mixed with rock, pop, and some r&b. MTV introduced some music too that wasn't played on mainstream radio. I never heard punk in the 70s or early 80s on mainstream radio.

I had a very similar experience in the New Orleans market -- what you're describing is what some called "Top 40 radio".

One additional thing New Orleans had then due to local demographics -- and I'm sure some markets in NC were the same way -- was a major R&B radio station and deep cultural penetration of R&B/soul/dance/proto-hip-hop. There were a lot of songs that were ubiquitous in New Orleans that you'd never hear on Casey Casem -- but they were Top Ten on Billboard's R&B chart (I'd come to learn later in the Internet Era).

It's always a danger picking a cover this high up the ranking when I'm not even sure people will have heard the original, but hey, what the hell it's my list
I somehow have two Inspiral Carpets CD-singles - This Is How It Feels and Commercial Rain. The former was a bigger hit but the latter is straight fire. Carter USM's cover was surprisingly good. I spent a couple regrettable years sporting that Carter/PWEI grebo look. Were you a fellow traveler, titus?
I’ve got their first 3 albums from ‘90, ‘91 and ‘92.

The first song I remember hearing from them was Two Worlds Collide off their 3rd album. I liked it so much I went and bought the two previous albums.

Big fan of all 3. I haven’t listened to them in a long time. I’ll have to give them a spin this weekend.

You could probably win a lot of bar bets asking people how many studio albums the Rolling Stones released during the 1980s (answer: five).

We're counting those outside of Tattoo You as relevant Stones albums? If anything, those albums cemented the fact that they were a legacy act.

That's not to poop on your thesis. It's just an observation.

We're counting those outside of Tattoo You as relevant Stones albums? If anything, those albums cemented the fact that they were a legacy act.
Depends on what we mean by “relevant”. Artistically, maybe not. Representing the vanguard of popular music in the US at the time? No, pretty sure not.

But an act can hang around and maintain a constant profile without being relevant in those ways. In evidence: All five 1980s studio releases went Top 5 on the US album charts, plus each spawned a Top 10 single (eleven Top 40 singles overall throughout the 1980s). Plus they released a Top 5 live album, Still Life, in 1982.

And all that glossed over Mick Jagger’s personal promotion at the time — he was definitely a current figure in 1980s pop culture, if not an artistically relevant one.

In short, the Stones never went away.

Jim Morrison, John Bonham, and Keith Moon died. Roger Waters left and Pink Floyd was on life support. For whatever reason, the Stones — during the period in question — generally avoided placement into the same category as those contemporaries.

Last edited:
Depends on what we mean by “relevant”. Artistically, maybe not. Representing the vanguard of popular music in the US at the time? No, pretty sure not.

Yeah, I think defining "relevant" would mean that the albums were contemporaneously played with their release and that there was really one of three things: 1) a big hit or two from each record that either broke on the airwaves or 2) got press in the right magazines, or 3) was recommended by word of mouth by one's peers. The Stones probably flunked all three of those, with allowances that they might have had the hit records and I just missed it.

Yeah, I think defining "relevant" would mean that the albums were contemporaneously played with their release and that there was really one of three things: 1) a big hit or two from each record that either broke on the airwaves or 2) got press in the right magazines, or 3) was recommended by word of mouth by one's peers. The Stones probably flunked all three of those, with allowances that they might have had the hit records and I just missed it.
I had to add to my post above due to posting-by-phone errors. These points are addressed above.

Growing up in my podunk down, we had a country station, a Top 40 station, an R&B/Soul/Funk station, and an oldies station. By the time I got to HS in 1987, we finally got one that played classic rock, but even that was really the same 5-7 songs by the same 25-30 bands. MTV - especially 120 Minutes - was my lifeline.

We have the top two left, right?

My top two are actually covers I discovered while doing this. They pretty much blew me away. They are both top songs from two beloved artists of mine, but the cover artist is relatively unknown. At least to me. So I'm both surprised and not surprised they have not shown up yet. So many of these covers we've picked are great, but have a little fatigue associated with them. I think that's why these two new ones are so high on my list.

If you liked today's Carter cover, then they did a fair few others on their expanded edition of The Love Album - it includes covers of Panic, Another Brick In The Wall, Down In The Tube Station At Midnight amongst others, I primarily picked This Is How It Feels on account of it being a huge live favourite

edit - indeed, the original album included The Impossible Dream which was obviously also a cover

#3 Hurt - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
Original:
Spotify; Youtube

When starting the process of making the list, I wrote down Hurt as one of the songs I knew were covers. Most of them made it to the list, though I wondered if "Hurt" was more of a placeholder. After all, there's plenty of material to make a Top 31 just from songs Johnny Cash has covered. So was it my favorite? Heck, was it even the one I liked best from American IV: The Man Comes Around (which I feel I can name drop since the title track wasn't a cover)?

Well, I put it at #3, so you tell me. Seriously though, even while exploring other options, I kept coming back to it. Simply so pure, so raw, NIN is almost a young pain, that uncertainly of growing up, of a depression that if you didn't go through, feel thankful. Cash's is of a man barely surviving, the pain echoing through as his voice, his vision, and really his entire body struggled with making this recording. It's hard to say that this song in particular is him saying goodbye when a lot of the album feels that way (I mean, it finishes with a cover of "We'll Meet Again"). But Reznor was both wise and kind to call this song Cash's. Wait, does that mean it's not actually a cover? Eh, too late now.

At #2, a song (like this one) that jostled for #1. Even with the silver, I think I gave it plenty of fondness.

I hope the Wolfpack men and women win this weekend. I'm going to Raleigh later today for the weekend to hang with some friends who will be pulling for the Pack, too. My brother and his gf and someone else flew to Arizona yesterday to go to the Final 4. He does not have the best karma, so I hope he doesn't curse the team from the bleachers. There should be enough good energy there to override the opposite. I hope that Burns doesn't foul out (or Horne or Diarrhea, or any of the Pack). I was reading an article that mentioned the big dude from Purdue doesn't get a lot of fouls called against him, but he fouls out others trying to defend him. Hopefully it will be a fair game, and no matter what the results are at the end, it has been fun running with the Pack over the last few weeks. I do hope both the men and women get one more game. :wolf:
Go State!
I hope the three-point lines are in the right place.

If you liked today's Carter cover, then they did a fair few others on their expanded edition of The Love Album - it includes covers of Panic, Another Brick In The Wall, Down In The Tube Station At Midnight amongst others, I primarily picked This Is How It Feels on account of it being a huge live favourite

edit - indeed, the original album included The Impossible Dream which was obviously also a cover
Theres not a problem typing Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine is there?

Go State!
Sorry simey. Great run for NC St. Tough to beat one of the best teams ever.

Wes Moore seems like a great guy and an excellent coach.

He reminds me of a mix of Jack Klugman and Tom Bosley.

Growing up in my podunk down, we had a country station, a Top 40 station, an R&B/Soul/Funk station, and an oldies station. By the time I got to HS in 1987, we finally got one that played classic rock, but even that was really the same 5-7 songs by the same 25-30 bands. MTV - especially 120 Minutes - was my lifeline.
Small town radio, circa 1983, I called in and won a Who poster. To be exact, it was The Who and sponsor Miller Lite on the poster.

EDIT: Nope. I did not call in. We were cruising around and stopped by the station and knocked on the door. I guess I was caller #1.

After the wackiness of the #3s, tomorrow's 30-pointers settle back into familiar territory:

- We have four Deja Votes, all of them covers that we've seen before.
- One of the Deja Votes breaks a tie for the cover artist, one breaks a tie for the original artist, one causes a tie for the original artist, and the other one...well, it's just a Deja Vote.
- Two artists have triple-ups, one of them as a coverer and one as the original artist.
- One original artist has a quadruple-up! :shock: Only one of the covers is new, though.

After the wackiness of the #3s, tomorrow's 30-pointers settle back into familiar territory:

- One of the Deja Votes breaks a tie for the cover artist, one breaks a tie for the original artist, one causes a tie for the original artist, and the other one...well, it's just a Deja Vote.
- Two artists have triple-ups, one of them as a coverer and one as the original artist.
- One original artist has a quadruple-up! :shock: Only one of the covers is new, though.
This one's a puzzler. I have no idea if I'm any one of these things.

Weekly roundup of some I may or may not have missed, or are new to the countdown.

Pretty Lady - Canadian Cover Crew
Misirlou - Martin Denny
Theme For An Imaginary Western - Mountain 🏔️
Sloop John B - The Beach Boys
The Green Manalishi - Judas Priest
Dreams I'll Never See - Molly Hatchet 🪓
My Little Red Book - Love
Blue Skies - Willie Nelson
Gallows Pole - Led Zeppelin
Ceremony - Galaxy 500
Boys - The Beatles
Arrival - Mike Oldfield
I Don't Need No Doctor - Humble Pie 🥧
What A Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers

The #3s were unexpectedly unfamiliar territory, with if not the most unknown songs in the list, certainly up there. Some of that’s on me, for sure, but it certainly made for a (good) change of pace. Because of that, there were far more candidates for my second category than my first. In the end I decided to mix and match a little. You’ll have to guess which is which (hint: most are unknown)

Recognized by title alone: 17
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from M-AD Countdowns: 1
Didn’t Know: 11

Selected Songs I liked but haven’t spotlighted before
Autumn Leaves - Eva Cassidy
Catfish John - Grateful Dead
Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil
Don’t Look Back - Them, Van Morrison
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Al Green
My Body is a Cage - Peter Gabriel
Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell
Heart it Races - Dr. Dog
Dreams I’ll Never See - Molly Hatchet
Stop Your Sobbing - The Pretenders

My guess is that may be my selection

Thirty-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

A Perfect Day - Al Green (Lou Reed)
Cover artist: four votes – Funny How Time Slips Away (2); A Perfect Day (1); How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (1)

titusbramble:

Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Saint Etienne (Neil Young)
Original artist: 18 votes – Cortez the Killer (5); Down by the River (4); Heart of Gold (2); Only Love Can Break Your Heart (1); Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) (1); Like a Hurricane (1); Southern Man (1); Birds (1); Into the Black (1); Rockin’ in the Free World (1)

Pip’s Invitation:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? – Nirvana (Traditional)
Song: fourth and fifth votes today – Nirvana (5)
Cover artist: 10 votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (5); The Man Who Sold the World (3); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)
Original artist: N/A

Dr. Octopus:

If Not for You - George Harrison (Robert Zimmerman)
Song: two votes – George Harrison (2)
Cover artist: three votes – If Not for You (2); Got My Mind Set on You (1)
Original artist: 60 votes – All Along the Watchtower (11); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Mr. Tambourine Man (3); If Not for You (2); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (2); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight (1); Highway 61 Revisited (1); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

Down by the River – Buddy Miles (Neil Young)
Song: four votes – Buddy Miles (2); Low & Dirty Three (1); Dave Matthews (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Down by the River (2)
Original artist: 18 votes – Cortez the Killer (5); Down by the River (4); Heart of Gold (2); Only Love Can Break Your Heart (1); Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) (1); Like a Hurricane (1); Southern Man (1); Birds (1); Into the Black (1); Rockin’ in the Free World (1)

Just Win Baby:

When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin (Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie cover)
Song: three votes – Led Zeppelin (3)
Cover artist: seven votes – When the Levee Breaks (3); Gallows Pole (1); Traveling Riverside Blues (1); Dazed and Confused (1); Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (1)
Original artist: three votes – When the Levee Breaks (3)

Galileo:

Respect - Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding)
Song: fourth and fifth votes today – Aretha Franklin (5)
Cover artist: nine votes – Respect (5); Bridge over Troubled Water (1); Nessun Dorma (1); A Change Is Gonna Come (1); Spanish Harlem (1)
Original artist: eight votes – Respect (5); Hard to Handle (3);

Don Quixote:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (Judy Garland)
Song: three votes - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Over the Rainbow (3)
Original artist: three votes – Over the Rainbow (3)

simsarge:

Pinball Wizard - Elton John (The Who)
Original artist: two votes – Pinball Wizard (1); Baba O’Riley (1)

Charlie Steiner:

The Star-Spangled Banner - Whitney Houston (Traditional)
Song: two votes – Whitney Houston (1); Jimi Hendrix (1)
Cover artist: two votes – The Star-Spangled Banner (1); I Will Always Love You (1)

JMLs secret identity:

SOS - Portishead (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Original artist: 29 votes – SOS (1); Slipping Through My Fingers (1); Tropical Loveland (1); Arrival (1); Like an Angel Passing through My Room (1); Chiquitita (1); Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

Little Wing - Derek and the Dominos (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Song: three votes – Stevie Ray Vaughan (2); Derek and the Dominos (1)
Original artist: nine votes – Little Wing (3); Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (3); Machine Gun (1); The Wind Cries Mary (1); Purple Haze (1)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night (In the Pines) - Nirvana (Traditional)
Cover artist: 10 votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (5); The Man Who Sold the World (3); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)

Ilov80s:

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Them/Van Morrison (Bob Dylan)
Song: two votes – Them (2)
Cover artist: Morrison: two votes – It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (2)
Them: three votes – It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (2); Don’t Look Back (1);
Original artist: 60 votes – All Along the Watchtower (11); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Mr. Tambourine Man (3); If Not for You (2); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (2); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight (1); Highway 61 Revisited (1); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

Eephus:

Soul Kitchen – X (The Doors)
Original artist: three votes – Soul Kitchen (1); Light My Fire (1); People Are Strange (1)

The Dreaded Marco:

Tainted Love - Soft Cell (Gloria Jones)
Song: sixth and seventh votes today – Soft Cell (7)
Cover artist: seven votes – Tainted Love (7)
Original artist: seven votes – Tainted Love (7)

New Binky the Doormat:

Tin Soldier - Todd Rundgren (Small Faces)
Cover artist: two votes – Tin Soldier (1); Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (1)

Andy Dufresne:

Tainted Love – Soft Cell (Gloria Jones)

PART TWO:

Hawks64:

Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) - Dave Matthews Band (Neil Young)

Cover artist: 21 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) (1); A Pirate Looks at Forty (1); Sledgehammer (1); Rye Whiskey (1); Waste (1); Cortez the Killer (1); The Maker (1); Long Black Veil (1); Exodus (1); Down by the River (1); Take Me to Tomorrow (1); Time of the Season (1); Still Water (1); Melissa (1); Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)

rockaction:

Sweet Jane – Cowboy Junkies (Velvet Underground)
Song: three votes – Cowboy Junkies (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Sweet Jane (3)
Original artist: three votes – Sweet Jane (3)

Scoresman:

Hey You - Bobaflex (Pink Floyd)
Original artist: seven votes – Hey You (1); Time (1); Welcome to the Machine (1); Comfortably Numb (1); Another Brick in the Wall (1); See Emily Play (1); Have a Cigar (1)

Raging weasel:

All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
Song: 11 votes – Jimi Hendrix (5); Bear McCreary (2); Dave Matthews Band (2); U2 (1); Neil Young & Booker T. and the MGs (1)
Cover artist: 10 votes – All Along the Watchtower (5); Hey Joe (4); The Star Spangled Banner (1)

scorchy:

District Sleeps Alone Tonight - Frank Turner (The Postal Service)
Original artist: two votes – District Sleeps Alone Tonight (1); Such Great Heights (1)

Mrs. Rannous:

I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison (Cyndi Lauper)
Cover artist: two votes – I Drove All Night (1); Mean Woman Blues (1)
Original artist: two votes – I Drove All Night (1); Time after Time (1)

Mt. Man:

Respect - Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding)
Song: fourth and fifth votes today – Aretha Franklin (5)
Cover artist: nine votes – Respect (5); Bridge over Troubled Water (1); Nessun Dorma (1); A Change Is Gonna Come (1); Spanish Harlem (1)
Original artist: eight votes – Respect (5); Hard to Handle (3);

Mister CIA:

Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight - Chrissie Hynde (Bob Dylan) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTqxUV-sdt0

Val Rannous:

Black Betty - Ram Jam (Traditional)
Song: two votes – Ram Jam (1); Spiderbait (1)

landrys hat:

Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett w/ Duane Allman (Beatles)
Song: third and fourth votes today – Wilson Pickett (3); Grateful Dead (1)
Cover artist: three votes – Hey Jude (3)
Original artist: 36 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); Hey Jude (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Got to Get You into My Life (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

shuke:

Time - Poor Man's Whiskey (Pink Floyd)
Original artist: seven votes – Hey You (1); Time (1); Welcome to the Machine (1); Comfortably Numb (1); Another Brick in the Wall (1); See Emily Play (1); Have a Cigar (1)

Doug B:

The Saints Are Coming - Green Day & U2 (The Skids)
Cover artist: Green Day: two votes – The Saints Are Coming (1); The Simpsons Theme (1)
U2: two votes – The Saints Are Coming (1); All Along the Watchtower (1)

DrIanMalcolm:

Bridge over Troubled Water - Aretha Franklin (Simon & Garfunkel)
Original artist: 17 votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (6); The Sound of Silence (5); Mrs. Robinson (3); America (2); Bridge over Troubled Water (1)

Chaos34:

Can’t Get Used to Losing You - The English Beat (Andy Williams)
Cover artist: two votes – Can’t Get Used to Losing You (1); The Tears of a Clown (1)

higgins:

Everybody’s Talkin - Harry Nilsson (Fred Neil)
Song: four votes – Bill Withers (2); Harry Nilsson (1); The Seldom Scene (1)
Cover artist: three votes – Without You (2); Everybody’s Talkin’ (1)
Original artist: four votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (4)

Oliver Humanzee:

Twist and Shout - The Beatles (The Top Notes)
Song: three votes – The Beatles (3)
Cover artist: four votes – Twist and Shout (3); Boys (1)
Original artist: three votes – Twist and Shout (3)

krista4:

Hey Jude – Wilson Pickett (The Beatles)
Song: third and fourth votes today – Wilson Pickett (3); Grateful Dead (1)
Cover artist: three votes – Hey Jude (3)
Original artist: 36 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); Hey Jude (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Got to Get You into My Life (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Deja Votes:
Where Did You Sleep Last Night? by Nirvana - breaks the tie between this song and their cover of The Man Who Sold the World.
Respect by Aretha Franklin - breaks the tie between this song and Hard to Handle in terms of Otis Redding covers
Hey Jude by Wilson Pickett - causes a tie between this song and We Can Work It Out in terms of Beatles covers (though the Hey Jude votes are split between two coverers)
Tainted Love - just a regular ol' Deja Vote

Triple-up artists:
Neil Young as original artist
Aretha Franklin as cover artist

Quadruple-up original artist:
Bob Dylan, with the only new song being Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight

ALSO! I promised @Pip's Invitation that he and OH had one cover in common on their lists, and today it's revealed that that is The Beatles' version of Twist and Shout.

Thirty-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

The Dreaded Marco:

When I read the first post of this thread, two songs immediately came to mind----this one and my 31-pointer.

This was my 31 initially, and I went back and forth between the two for a bit. After listening to both songs a few times I went with the other but Tainted Love is really more my 31a-pointer.

A song from a great album (NOT a 1-hit wonder for me) that I consider the quintessential 80's song.... 💌

Deja Votes:
Where Did You Sleep Last Night? by Nirvana - breaks the tie between this song and their cover of The Man Who Sold the World.
Respect by Aretha Franklin - breaks the tie between this song and Hard to Handle in terms of Otis Redding covers
Hey Jude by Wilson Pickett - causes a tie between this song and We Can Work It Out in terms of Beatles covers (though the Hey Jude votes are split between two coverers)
Tainted Love - just a regular ol' Deja Vote

Triple-up artists:
Neil Young as original artist
Aretha Franklin as cover artist

Quadruple-up original artist:
Bob Dylan, with the only new song being Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight

ALSO! I promised @Pip's Invitation that he and OH had one cover in common on their lists, and today it's revealed that that is The Beatles' version of Twist and Shout.
Whoops, I didn't notice It's All Over Now Baby Blue got taken earlier. Someone has good taste :)

Also my rule was no double dipping on artists and I justify this as my number 3 selection was for Van Morrison and my number 2 selection was for Them.

Last edited:
Uruk-Hai:

A Perfect Day - Al Green (Lou Reed)
Cover artist: four votes – Funny How Time Slips Away (2); A Perfect Day (1); How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (1)
I've never been a big fan of the Underground or Reed. I understand their influence, etc...,etc....,etc..... They just never grabbed me.

In 2023, Al Green came out of nowhere with a cover of this Reed song. First, any sign of Al Green these days is a good thing. Second, he sings the snot out of "A Perfect Day". The guy is pushing 80 and can still sing circles around most people 1/3 his age.

New-to-me highlights from the #3s:

Autumn Leaves by Eva Cassidy - This was the first song I listened to, hours ago, and I think I still have chills.
Don't Look Back by Them/Van Morrison - I must have heard this before, right? I can't believe I would have forgotten it, but I just don't recall. Splendid.
A Pirate Looks at Forty by all of Hawks' favorite artists - So much fun.
Heart It Races - Purty. My personal preference is for this beautifully melodic version.

Congrats to the 18 drafters who will own at least a portion of their #1 cover! (Yes, there is one case where a cover has not been previously selected, but two people have it as their #1.)

Of those 18, nine are new covers of songs already selected, and nine are entirely new songs to the countdown.

Five people will hit the weirdo trifecta - their #1 cover is a song, cover artist, and original artist that are all new to the countdown.

titusbramble:

Damn. I totally forgot about this. Would definitely have made my list. Sarah Cracknell just oozes cool.
If i we had a songs that sound like Telstar covers, but arent, Youre in a Bad Way would be top,3.
Pip’s Invitation:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? – Nirvana (Traditional)
Me and Pips with a bingo. I will be looking for four horseman
Mrs. Rannous:

This was an amazing choice. Love the Big O. I was looking at Lauper cover somgs, not her being covered dammit.
Doug B:

The Saints Are Coming - Green Day & U2 (The Skids)
Cover artist: Green Day: two votes – The Saints Are Coming (1); The Simpsons Theme (1)
U2: two votes – The Saints Are Coming (1); All Along the Watchtower (1)
Glad somebody picked this. It got no love at all in the U2 rundown, except by me
Ok. Those four horsemen are somewhere around. Im the only other ****er to pick this
Thirty-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

The Dreaded Marco:

When I read the first post of this thread, two songs immediately came to mind----this one and my 31-pointer.

This was my 31 initially, and I went back and forth between the two for a bit. After listening to both songs a few times I went with the other but Tainted Love is really more my 31a-pointer.

A song from a great album (NOT a 1-hit wonder for me) that I consider the quintessential 80's song.... 💌
my only choice with this song was to specifically exclude the Where Did Our Love go add on from it.
Tainted Love was a guaranteed top 10 imho.
Funnily enough the rereleased version by Marc Almond/Soft Cell in 1991….what happened there? Its a poor imitation

titusbramble:

Damn. I totally forgot about this. Would definitely have made my list. Sarah Cracknell just oozes cool.
If i we had a songs that sound like Telstar covers, but arent, Youre in a Bad Way would be top,

If only Cracknell was in the band at the time :)

titusbramble:

If i we had a songs that sound like Telstar covers, but arent, Youre in a Bad Way would be top,

If only Cracknell was in the band at the time :)
Hey! Its Pips job around here to make me look stupid lol
Just add this onto the pile of mistakes ive made about music history.
I knew it wasnt Sarah, but i forgot i knew. Moira Lambert then.

Btw i didnt say Sarah sung on it, so theres my out.

Mrs. Rannous:

This was an amazing choice. Love the Big O. I was looking at Lauper cover somgs, not her being covered dammit.

This one is kind of a cheat, JML. The song was writen for Orbison. When he died, Lauper got her version out first. A win for me.

Last edited:
In 2023, Al Green came out of nowhere with a cover of this Reed song. First, any sign of Al Green these days is a good thing. Second, he sings the snot out of "A Perfect Day". The guy is pushing 80 and can still sing circles around most people 1/3 his age.

One of my life's greatest regrets, other than my '90s fashion/hair choices and every man I've ever dated, is that in 3-1/2 years in Memphis, I never made it to Rev. Al's church. I was always scared of the rumors that the services go on for hours, but I should have realized there's no such thing as too much Al Green.

Mrs. Rannous:

This one is kind of a cheat, JML. The song was writen for Oribison. When he died, Lauper got her version out first. A win for me.

Occasionally when one seems off to me, I look it up, and I've made a lot of behind-the-scenes corrections on that basis. I was shocked to look and see that this one really did belong to Lauper. Great pick!

Last edited:
Mrs. Rannous:

This one is kind of a cheat, JML. The song was writen for Oribison. When he died, Lauper got her version out first. A win for me.

Occasionally when one seems off to me, I look it up, and I've made a lot of behind-the-scenes corrections on that basis. I was shocked to look and see that this one really did belong to Lauper. Great pick!
You think I didn't check? And double check? I so did.

Users who are viewing this thread