What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (4 Viewers)

With my top picks I didn't want to go with the beloved classic covers because frankly I've grown tired of them and don't listen to them anymore despite them being amazing original songs and covers. I went a little outside the box and picked relatively newer covers that I've grown to love. That's why most of my last few picks have had kind of a "one of these is not like the others" vibe going for it.

Uruk-Hai:

A Change Is Gonna Come - Otis Redding (Sam Cooke)
Song: second and third votes today – Otis Redding (2); Aretha Franklin (1)
Cover artist: four votes – A Change Is Gonna Come (2); Try a Little Tenderness (1); (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (1)
Original artist: three votes – A Change Is Gonna Come (3)
Otis had two singing idols.

One was Little Richard (also from Macon), so he tried to sing like that (good luck) when he was starting out and it didn't go so well.

The other was Sam Cooke. Otis couldn't sing like him, either (nor could anyone else). But, when Cooke got himself killed, Redding decided to cut some Cooke songs. By this time, he was already having hits and had some clout. He covered "Shake" in typical Otis/Memphis style and turned in one of the great party singles of the mid-60s.

He also chose to tackle "A Change Is Gonna Come". This one most decidedly did not contain the line "shake it like a bowl of soup" (I'm surprised Lennon didn't copy that on "I Am The Walrus"). The original - released shortly after Cooke's death - was monumental and was the first really popular record I can think of that got right to the meat of the Civil Rights struggle. Nina, of course, was - but commercial radio wouldn't touch her. Curtis Mayfield was listening, though, and tore off a string of hits dealing with the same issues.

Otis didn't have the vocal finesse of Cooke or the ability to change his style, so he turned the song into a Memphis eulogy for his fallen hero. Luckily, he had his buddies - some of the best musicians ever - there to hold him up.

1. Blue Monday - Orkestra Obsolete (New Order)

Apparently there is a version of this on Spotify after all, though I don't think it's the same as the one I first saw on youtube.

I was hoping to bring some background info on this 'band', but all I could find was that they all worked for the BBC and had some musical talent, and that the lead singer used to be in a Scottish rockabilly band. He's the one who was approached by the BBC for a film short about synthesizers but gave them this instead.

I don't know how it appeared on my youtube feed that day; I wasn't familiar with the song and wasn't particularly a fan of New Order anyway, yet I found it compelling nonetheless.

This is my #1 because it made me like a song I wasn't normally inclined to like, even if it is only this version.

Like I did in the my last draft, I want to file a formal protest ; I was led to believe that it was only going to be "dummies" participating in this, yet again there was a level of knowledge and even sophistication displayed that it appears I was the only actual dummy involved. Well, you know what they say: fool me once...

Thanks to @krista4 and @Hawks64 for all the time and effort in this undertaking.

Thanks to all the other 'honorary' dummies who participated. I'm truly awed and humbled by the depth and breadth of everyone's lists and the many write-ups. I used to think of myself as a bit of a music buff; not so much after tangling with you all.

:bag: :bye:

Songs:

Cortez the Killer (Neil Young) – 5, by three different artists
Just stating for the record that this is my #1 Neil song but I did not pick any covers of it. Because I deliberately excluded all but one guitar-based rock covers that sound like (or somewhat like) Neil's own versions. Built to Spill, Slint, Gov't Mule, Matthew Sweet, J Mascis and Indigo Girls(!) would have been considered if I didn't. In other words, it's really hard to perform this song without sounding like Neil. It may be the "most Neil" of Neil songs.

Final OH tally:

OH cover songs I have heard of: 7
OH original songs I have heard of: 16
OH cover artists I have heard of: 22
OH original artists I have heard of: 26

It's the same as the last update because I have never heard of the song or either artist. Which seems like an appropriate way for OH to wrap this up. I set the O/U at 7.5 and was as close as can be!

zamboni:

Superstar - The Carpenters (Delaney and Bonnie)
Song: three votes – Sonic Youth (2); The Carpenters (1)
Cover artist: three votes – Superstar (1); A Song for You (1); (They Long to Be) Close to You (1)
Original artist: three votes – Superstar (3)
Guess I'm not surprised no one took this one, although @simey did in her last 5 out and we chatted about it. I'm unashamedly one of the biggest Carpenters fans on this board - have always been engrossed by Karen's voice. To me, this the one song that stands above all for her in terms of range and emotion. So haunting.

The aforementioned Leonid & Friends does a great cover with the strikingly beautiful Ksenia Buzenia (@Uruk-Hai) doing a very credible job channeling Karen, in front of a magnificent arrangement that would make Richard blush.

And echoed thanks to @krista4 and @Hawks64 - it's a ton of work and we really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Pip’s Invitation:

All Along the Watchtower – The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Bob Dylan)

We end where we began. Partly for shtick purposes, I put the Hendrix AATW at the top and the Neil AATW at the bottom. But the Hendrix version has always been a favorite, and is my reflexive response whenever a "greatest covers of all time" discussion happens. Hendrix made this song so much his own that since the '70s Dylan has performed it live IN THE HENDRIX ARRANGEMENT. When he plays it, it occupies a spot toward the end of his shows along with Like a Rolling Stone and whatnot -- which is not a fate anyone expected when John Wesley Harding came out with this quiet, cryptic piece on it. As with many Dylan songs, it has an easily adaptable melody/arrangement and lyrics with multiple meanings, and is easy for covering artists to shape however they want to. Hendrix turned it into one of the greatest anthems of the "classic rock" era, spritzing up the melody and adding waves of orgasmically inspired lead guitar playing. It may also be his best vocal performance -- "and the WIND began to HOWL" still gives me chills after all these years.

In addition to the other versions already discussed, I am a fan of the version Dave Mason recorded for his 1975 self-titled solo album. Mason played acoustic guitar on the Hendrix version (the members of Traffic were hanging around a lot when Hendrix was recording Electric Ladyland), so he has a right to adapt Hendrix's version as much as anyone.

I'm just back from a business trip and I'll get to my takes on everyone else's selections for #s 1, 2 and 3 when I can. This was thoroughly enjoyable!

zamboni:

Cover artist: three votes – Superstar (1); A Song for You (1); (They Long to Be) Close to You (1)
Guess I'm not surprised no one took this one, although @simey did in her last 5 out and we chatted about it. I'm unashamedly one of the biggest Carpenters fans on this board - have always been engrossed by Karen's voice. To me, this the one song that stands above all for her in terms of range and emotion. So haunting.

The aforementioned Leonid & Friends does a great cover with the strikingly beautiful Ksenia Buzenia (@Uruk-Hai) doing a very credible job singing in front of a magnificent arrangement that would make Richard blush.

And echoed thanks to @krista4 and @Hawks64 - it's a ton of work and we really appreciate it.
It was on my list, but I had too many that started with an "S" :lol:

It's a gorgeous record.

Pip’s Invitation:

We end where we began. Partly for shtick purposes, I put the Hendrix AATW at the top and the Neil AATW at the bottom. But the Hendrix version has always been a favorite, and is my reflexive response whenever a "greatest covers of all time" discussion happens. Hendrix made this song so much his own that since the '70s Dylan has performed it live IN THE HENDRIX ARRANGEMENT. When he plays it, it occupies a spot toward the end of his shows along with Like a Rolling Stone and whatnot -- which is not a fate anyone expected when John Wesley Harding came out with this quiet, cryptic piece on it. As with many Dylan songs, it has an easily adaptable melody/arrangement and lyrics with multiple meanings, and is easy for covering artists to shape however they want to. Hendrix turned it into one of the greatest anthems of the "classic rock" era, spritzing up the melody and adding waves of orgasmically inspired lead guitar playing. It may also be his best vocal performance -- "and the WIND began to HOWL" still gives me chills after all these years.

In addition to the other versions already discussed, I am a fan of the version Dave Mason recorded for his 1975 self-titled solo album. Mason played acoustic guitar on the Hendrix version (the members of Traffic were hanging around a lot when Hendrix was recording Electric Ladyland), so he has a right to adapt Hendrix's version as much as anyone.

I'm just back from a business trip and I'll get to my takes on everyone else's selections for #s 1, 2 and 3 when I can. This was thoroughly enjoyable!
Didn't Mason record this on like 15 different albums? I think he's played more than Dylan has :lol:

Pip’s Invitation:

Didn't Mason record this on like 15 different albums? I think he's played more than Dylan has :lol:
In the '70s it only appeared twice: On the aforementioned studio album and on the Certified Live album. I haven't keep up with all his releases since then, but I know he tends to re-record stuff a lot, dating back to when he had disputes with his first label. It appears regularly in his live sets, and given that he tours relentlessly, he probably has played it more than Dylan by this point.

zamboni:

The aforementioned Leonid & Friends does a great cover with the strikingly beautiful Ksenia Buzenia (@Uruk-Hai) doing a very credible job singing in front of a magnificent arrangement that would make Richard blush.

It's a gorgeous record.
I had no idea until today that your picks were in alphabetical order. :laugh:

zamboni:

It's a gorgeous record.
I had no idea until today that your picks were in alphabetical order. :laugh:
I tried to rank them, but I was driving myself crazy - and my therapist already has her hands full with me. I flipped a coin as to whether go alphabetical by artist or song title :lol:

To Love Somebody (live) - Dusty Springfield

When the Bee Gee's song "To Love Somebody" meets up with the Queen of Blue-Eyed Soul, you know something great is gonna happen. Dusty recorded "To Love Somebody" in the studio during the Memphis sessions to be put on a follow up album, but the master recording was said to have burned in the fire at the Atlantic Records warehouse, but it was also said to have ended up in New York. Whatever happened to it, it has never surfaced. She recorded this version live during The Dave Lee Travis Show on BBC Radio in 1970. I dig the music, arrangement, and the backup singers, but the star of this live version is Dusty's sultry soulful vocals that sound dynamite 💥on this song. It's my favorite version of this tune.

A little trivia - when Dusty was recording the Dusty in Memphis sessions, she recommended to her producer Jerry Wexler that they (Atlantic Records) should sign a new band called Led Zeppelin. Dusty was friends with John Paul Jones. He had played on some of her albums and been in her touring band. Wexler and Ahmet Ertegun signed Led Zeppelin to Atlantic Records a month later.

Last edited:
zamboni:

The Carpenters and The Brady Bunch 4-Ever :hifive:

Final OH tally:

It's the same as the last update because I have never heard of the song or either artist. Which seems like an appropriate way for OH to wrap this up. I set the O/U at 7.5 and was as close as can be!

Merle Haggard?

I'm unashamedly one of the biggest Carpenters fans on this board - have always been engrossed by Karen's voice. To me, this the one song that stands above all for her in terms of range and emotion. So haunting.
She sounds fantastic on Superstar. She never oversang anything. She had such a beautiful tone that seemed effortless. Her voice was so pure and clear.
I love the Carpenters and took a song from them, (They Long to Be) Close to You, and took the Sonic Youth version of Superstar cause its so audacious. You could do an entire 31 on the Carpenters alone

The #2s appropriately came with some pairs, between “Where Did You Sleep Last Night?”, “Hey Jude”, and of course “Respect” that I shared with Galileo. Lots to love here, as always. Of course, Real Life interfering means that there’s more focus on the #1s and the end of this countdown. But let me spread some (more) appreciation anyways:

Recognized by title alone: 22
Sounded familiar: 4
Didn’t Know: 6

Selected Favorites:
Pinball Wizard - Elton John
Little Wing - Derek & the Dominoes
Black Betty - Ram Jam
The Saints Are Coming - U2 & Green Day
Everybody’s Talkin - Harry Nillson

Covers I hadn't heard before but liked:
Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Saint Etienne
SOS - Portishead
Soul Kitchen - X
Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) - Dave Matthews Band
Hey You - Bobaflex

Final OH tally:

Merle Haggard?
Final OH tally:

OH original artists I have heard of: 27

Oh yeah. I was a little rushed. Tally updated.

1. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)

What Pip said. I love the string raking that he does on the song and that coda/outro. That’s all I’ve got to add.

Thanks to k4 and Hawks64 for all of their efforts. You’re both under-appreciated. No doubt.

Peace, folks. Thanks for participating. I enjoyed reading all your lists, opinions, and write-ups. That all makes this go.

31 Points - Lay All Your Love on Me - Erasure (Abba)
Original

This was the sixth and last reluctant single from the album Super Trouper. No one from the band or the label saw it as anything but an album track, but the fans knew. When dreck like Andante Andante got released ahead of it, there was a chance this song could be consigned to history. It got picked up in dance clubs and many cover versions later, it landed a spot in the coveted Abba Gold CD. Then as a prominent part of the Mamma Mia musical and Movie it now is a fan favourite. I honestly hadnt even heard the song until the Erasure cover. Now its one of my top 5 songs of theirs.

Cover

Abba had a roughly 10 year period where people were heartily sick of them. Abba had always been popular on the gay scene though and one of the most prominent bands of this emerging movement was Erasure. They had an amazing run of 19 consecutive top 15 singles in the UK, 16 made the top 10 and 10 of them made the top 5. Only one of them made #1, the Abbaesque EP. The 4 Abba covers on this EP (they wanted to do a whole album, but the label didnt want to take the risk….idiots lol) were done with love and performed very well. S.O.S., Voulez Vous, Take a Chance on Me and this one. Abba themselves were very skeptical of this EP and thought it was gonna be a pisstake. Benny and Bjorn were incredibly wary of music journalists and the music industry for the brutal period from 1981 to 1983 where they copped significant abuse.

Erasure didnt really translate outside Europe although they did have 3 top 20 US hits. Vince Clarke was of course a founding member and driving force of Depeche Mode, until he dramatically left after the first album. Ive always had a soft spot for him as he wore his OMD love on his sleeve and credited them as a major influence whereever he could.

This EP gave fans a chance for people to love Abba again. Abba Gold was released a few months after this was a hit and now has sold over 30+ million copies. Tribute bands popped up everywhere, covers charted well, musicals and movies were written. All thanks to this EP, which is why apart from being a belter of a track, is why i have it at #1.

Abba - 20 - Cover 11.
Despite the importance of the cover, the original is still better and oddly this is the only song where I heard the cover first.

FIN

Last edited:
Final OH tally:

Merle Haggard?
Final OH tally:

OH original artists I have heard of: 27

Oh yeah. I was a little rushed. Tally updated.

I think you have them switched. You know the cover artist in this instance, not the original.

Last call of comments on the new final covers...

- Otis covering "A Change is Gonna Come" is so pleasing to my ears. What a great vocal performance, plus musically it has that Stax sound.
- Karen and Richard get the gold ⭐ for their cover of "Superstar."
- Frijid Pink gets fuzzy wuzzy and trippy hippie with their super psychedelic acid rock cover of "The House of the Rising Son." 😵‍💫 Far out, baby.
- Laura Cantrell's slowed down version of "Love Vigilantes" is excellent. Her version totally changes the song.
- Dolly breaks out the banjo and shines on "Shine." Her bluegrass version breathes a new life into the tune.
- Daryll Hall and John Oates show their soulful side while covering "I'll Be Around."
- The Jerry Garcia Band's live cover of "Dear Prudence" has a great chill vibe to it.
- Lianne La Haves turns Radiohead's "Weird Fishes" into a smooth groove.
- I know some of you aren't reading this, and I know who you are!
- Erasure synths-out to ABBA's "Lay All Your Love of Me." I picture people dancing in colorful shoulder pad shirts with strobe lights going every which-a-way.
- Dave Matthew's live version of "Funny How Time Slips Away" is a great sounding tribute to Willie on his birthday.
- White Lion turns off cruise control and gasses it in their version of "Radar Love." 🥁
- Aretha's cover of "Let It Be" is divine.
- "I Sold My Heart To The Junkman" by The Beautiful South With Jacqui Abbott sounds like a great number in a musical. I enjoyed it.
- The way Orkestra Obsolete makes the music sounds in "Blue Monday" is very cool.
- Dream Theater rocks out on their "Big Medley" of songs, which have great transitions in them. My favorite of the songs is the intro "In the Flesh."
- I love Merle's live version of Blaze Foley's "If I Could Only Fly." He and his band The Strangers were a great country outfit, and you didn't have to like country music to recognize how talented they were. While this is a cover, Merle Haggard wrote some great songs himself, and he was one of the most talented artists of his generation. 🎬 🥃

- White Lion turns off cruise control and gasses it in their version of "Radar Love." 🥁

Cover version 1, Original 1/2
I love both, but the cover takes it!
I was hoping White Lion's version would kinda suck since Andy referred to Golden Earring's original as a lamo-70s sound, but it was good. I'm still siding with Golden Earring's version out of loyalty to the 70s.

I'm spitting mad about a work situation right now. Someone is trying to throw members of my team (not me) under the bus for something where they did nothing wrong. If they had, I'd be the first to step up and take accountability, but this person is attempting to throw the heat off her team for not doing their own jobs well. I can be the nicest person on earth, but once you piss me off, you are dead. Last time someone tried this with me (different job/company), I ended up getting that person demoted and ultimately fired.

DO NOT MESS WITH ME. :gang1:

Sorry, I know no one cares, but at least you're reading this instead of listening to All Along the Watchtower again. :lol:

I was hoping White Lion's version would kinda suck since Andy referred to Golden Earring's original as a lamo-70s sound, but it was good. I'm still siding with Golden Earring's version out of loyalty to the 70s.

The Golden Earring original had a surprisingly strong showing in a prior M-AD countdown. Now I've gotta go listen to today's playlist, even though I haven't gotten to the #2s yet. Be warned that I like fewer new-to-me songs when I'm in a bad mood, though.

I'm spitting mad about a work situation right now. Someone is trying to throw members of my team (not me) under the bus for something where they did nothing wrong. If they had, I'd be the first to step up and take accountability, but this person is attempting to throw the heat off her team for not doing their own jobs well. I can be the nicest person on earth, but once you piss me off, you are dead. Last time someone tried this with me (different job/company), I ended up getting that person demoted and ultimately fired.

You get 'em, girl! :gang2:

The Golden Earring original had a surprisingly strong showing in a prior M-AD countdown. Now I've gotta go listen to today's playlist, even though I haven't gotten to the #2s yet. Be warned that I like fewer new-to-me songs when I'm in a bad mood, though.

This cover of To Love Somebody sucks!!

J/k it's great

@Hawks64 the Dave Matthews cover of "Funny How Time Slips Away" is fantastic. I dare say it's the second-best cover version of this in the countdown! ;) (But seriously, it's great.)

Holy crap. I just got to the Laura Cantrell cover of "Love Vigilantes" (excellent) and remembered that I had intended to see if she's the same Laura Cantrell who does the "Dark Horse Radio" program on the Beatles Channel, and she surely is. Am I the only person who had no idea that she was also a musician (and a good one)? :shock: My mom thinks I sound like her in my speaking voice, or she like me. I can't sing like that, though!

I was exaggerating just a bit. Golden Earring's version will do in a pinch. And they redeemed themselves years later with the killer track Twilight Zone.

Sorry, I know no one cares, but at least you're reading this instead of listening to All Along the Watchtower again. :lol:
I care. Corporate America is the worst.

I'm currently training my replacement. And the managers who made the decision to offshore are coming to realize they made a terrible mistake (not just with me - 43 other people too).

The upside is that it's becoming very apparent that the managers that made the decision are horrible at their jobs and the people being let go were covering their ineptitude.

I don't know which word I prefer - reckoning or comeuppance.

Users who are viewing this thread