What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The most exciting play in football...The Touchdown (1 Viewer)

Todem

Footballguy
This new review rule is absurd. The game is no longer being called on the field of play. It is being called on video replay.

The rules are getting worse and worse each year. Goodell is killing this game with each new rule. The Jets just had a big TD, crowd was goin nuts....then a looooong TV timeout to do another TD review. The ref goes the ruling on the field is confirmed....the crowd was dead already.

Awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, let's not worry about whether the call is right; let's just make sure we don't let the crowd die down.

The rule has barely seemed noticeable in the games I've watched. Most of the plays that have been reviewed for any length of time were ones that would have gotten challenged anyways.

Yeah, let's not worry about whether the call is right; let's just make sure we don't let the crowd die down.
Yeah....been watching football for over 35 years.This is for the stinking birds.Yeah they have gotten just so many calls wrong over the history of this game. Replay has hurt the game more than helped. The ref's lean on it all the time.You don't get it do you. The game is played on the field. Human error is part of sports and over history can be talked about for generations. Thank god baseball does not full on replay. Nor Basketball. It would be a disaster.

The rule has barely seemed noticeable in the games I've watched. Most of the plays that have been reviewed for any length of time were ones that would have gotten challenged anyways.
Exactly....make a team use a challenge. Replay is out of hand!!What is the sport in that?

Hey while they are at it...next year they can institute a rule to replay all fumbles, picks that seem close.

Christ review every play!!!

they officials have just been too terrible the past few years to force a team to have to challenge so many calls. what they do need to do is speed up the review because some pretty obvious calls are taking too long.. they need to put a camera down each goalline, and then in each corner pointing up the sidelines. part of the length of delay is that there isnt good angles far too often.

What? Something that happens after the play doesn't make the play itself any less exciting. I don't have a problem with it.

If they could add some neon lights around the outline of the end zone, then light it up once the scorekeepers confirm and then the crowd can cheer a little. I'm with Todem, it stinks.

I think the most exciting play in football is the kickoff return touchdown...which I thought would be ruined under the new kickoff rules...but the new rule has actually made kickoff returns more exciting with great returns by Ginn, Harvin, Cobb, etc.

Yeah....been watching football for over 35 years.

This is for the stinking birds.

Yeah they have gotten just so many calls wrong over the history of this game. Replay has hurt the game more than helped. The ref's lean on it all the time.

You don't get it do you. The game is played on the field. Human error is part of sports and over history can be talked about for generations. Thank god baseball does not full on replay. Nor Basketball. It would be a disaster.
This is so ###-backwards. To try to hold up a failure to properly enforce the rules as a positive is ridiculous if you stop and think about it. I don't mind if you want to say that getting a few more calls right isn't worth interrupting the flow of the game. I don't agree, but it's a perfectly valid opinion. Same for if you wanted to claim the replays don't improve accuracy. But to say that improving accuracy is a negative is so outrageous.

People noticed?

Must not have not noticed with all the commercials the networks cram in.

Unfortunately the game is already slowed down with 9 million breaks for TV anyway. If they put in some for replay I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I wish they'd lower the amount of god-awful long "pauses" for TV at the stadium and find some way to speed up replays.

Unfortunately the game is already slowed down with 9 million breaks for TV anyway. If they put in some for replay I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I wish they'd lower the amount of god-awful long "pauses" for TV at the stadium and find some way to speed up replays.
This.The only thing that makes the new rule noticeable is that the announcers keep talking about it. If they just showed a few more replays of the scoring play and talked about something else, it would be just the same.

Yeah....been watching football for over 35 years.

This is for the stinking birds.

Yeah they have gotten just so many calls wrong over the history of this game. Replay has hurt the game more than helped. The ref's lean on it all the time.

You don't get it do you. The game is played on the field. Human error is part of sports and over history can be talked about for generations. Thank god baseball does not full on replay. Nor Basketball. It would be a disaster.
This is so ###-backwards. To try to hold up a failure to properly enforce the rules as a positive is ridiculous if you stop and think about it. I don't mind if you want to say that getting a few more calls right isn't worth interrupting the flow of the game. I don't agree, but it's a perfectly valid opinion. Same for if you wanted to claim the replays don't improve accuracy. But to say that improving accuracy is a negative is so outrageous.
I have no issues with the existing challenge system. Mistakes happen and teams having the challenge to use to correct a blatant mistake is working.But now they are taking it too far. And it is starting to ruin the ebb and flow of the game itself. And yes human error is part of the game, hell it is part of life.

This.The only thing that makes the new rule noticeable is that the announcers keep talking about it. If they just showed a few more replays of the scoring play and talked about something else, it would be just the same.
That would make a ton of sense.And that is the main gripe. It is overkill. Going over each and every TD with a fine tooth comb.SHEESH!!!!

IMO the silly Celebration rules kills the TD excitement more. I don't like showboating, but genuine celebration is killed. Now it's run out of the endzone and back to the sideline so that you can high five and chest bump teammates, dumb. Cam Newton getting called for "dropping to the ground in the end zone" after his first NFL TD, stupid (but the Lambeau leap is OK, go figure).

As far as the reviews, the SEC reviews every play in the game, but you would never know it. The booth buzzes the ref if they see something that requires closer look, otherwise the game flow doesn't change.

I didn't like it when I first heard about it, but it really didn't make my Sunday any less enjoyable.
It's a crutch.Instead of making a team use a challenge they are giving freebies for every single TD scored.Its awful.
I respectfully disagree. The stupidest thing in football is the challenge system. Obvious bad calls have not been overturned because a team is either out of challenges or did not use a challenge because they were too late or were saving their challenge for later or were late in throwing the flag, etc. If the idea of IR is to correct bad calls then it should be triggered by the league office, reviewed by the head of officials, and then relayed to the officials on the field. If the NHL can do it then so can the NFL.Instant replay review should be handled this way or be eliminated altogether IMO.

That would make a ton of sense.

And that is the main gripe. It is overkill. Going over each and every TD with a fine tooth comb.

SHEESH!!!!
I agree. It would be totally ridiculous if they went over reach and every TD with a fine tooth comb. It would also be ridiculous if they resolved disputed calls by having the teams' owners mud-wrestle, or having the offensive lines have a pie-eating contest. Thankfully, none of these things are remotely close to the truth.

I really don't get this complaint. The official reviews are generally on plays coaches would have challenged anyway. The few I saw didn't seem to lengthen the games much, if at all.

And why on Earth is correcting a bad call a bad thing?

This is one change that actually makes great sense!

IMO the silly Celebration rules kills the TD excitement more. I don't like showboating, but genuine celebration is killed. Now it's run out of the endzone and back to the sideline so that you can high five and chest bump teammates, dumb. Cam Newton getting called for "dropping to the ground in the end zone" after his first NFL TD, stupid (but the Lambeau leap is OK, go figure).As far as the reviews, the SEC reviews every play in the game, but you would never know it. The booth buzzes the ref if they see something that requires closer look, otherwise the game flow doesn't change.
I have heard several sports announcers/hosts mention that the NFL should borrow from College on this one. A lot of them seems to think that College has it right on this one.Agree on the point that it would be more bearable if the announcers would stop giving a rundown of the rule every time a team scores. I guess it will die down in a few weeks, but this weekend WAS a little overkill. If I'm watching the game, I get it...I know what is going on. Its not like they are attempting to explain the tuck rule to me. Agree on ALL the commercials..That, for years now, seems to eb the thing that buzzkills the crown and momemntum. And try going to a game. You REALLY get a sense of how much downtime there is when you are actually sitting there without another game to flip to, a score to check on the laptop, etc. When you are sitting in a stadium listening to the the same home team fight song for the 40th time and you watch the players on the field mulling around or talking to coaches, you get a much better sense that there is much downtime.

My problem with this...twice last night the refs erred on the wrong side with this rule in place.

Reggie Bush's TD had to be challenged...rather than calling it a TD and letting the automatic look at it challenge it if needed (which it was obvious very quickly it would not have been a delay)...and Darren McFadden's play on the long run (which Campbell got the TD next).

Its like when refs blow the whistles fast on a play with a fumble and there is nothing you can do about it. Swallow that thing for a second and let the play finish.

No venting here...I easily won my games no matter what McFadden did (and Bush is buried on my bench).

Just frustrating knowing they have this rule to see two refs get plays wrong (well, never saw a great replay on McFadden to make sure they were wrong...but looked like they were at first).

I'm guessing the fans complaining about this are the same fans that complain about the refs in the first place. There is just no pleasing some people.

Dock ref's their pay when they make bad calls. They'll get better in a hurry.
No they won't. Have you ever officiated anything in your life? It's not nearly as easy as it seems.People love to complain about stuff. This is much ado about nothing.Get the calls right, move on.

The rule was legitimized this weekend IMHO since there were a number of TDs which in fact were reversed automatically, preserving challenges that would have been wasted by a team. However, you would think there is a simpler way to accomplish that goal without the silliness of reviewing each and every TD. For example, maybe give coaches unlimited reviews of TDs? While there may be more reviews under that concept, my guess is only a small percent of TDs would be reviewed, while not penalizing a team for doing it when needed.

The rule was legitimized this weekend IMHO since there were a number of TDs which in fact were reversed automatically, preserving challenges that would have been wasted by a team. However, you would think there is a simpler way to accomplish that goal without the silliness of reviewing each and every TD. For example, maybe give coaches unlimited reviews of TDs? While there may be more reviews under that concept, my guess is only a small percent of TDs would be reviewed, while not penalizing a team for doing it when needed.
How long did the review of Welker's 99 yard TD last night take?

Not sure why you are responding to me, I said the rule was legitimized this weekend by reversals. All I added was whether it is needed to go overboard and review each and every obvious TD. Do you think the Welker TD should have been reviewed? Is there a way to improve the rule to allow challenging of TDs by coaches without penalizing them? I think there is, as I suggested. But if the only way to accomplish the goal is how they've done it, I have no problem with it.

Not sure why you are responding to me, I said the rule was legitimized this weekend by reversals. All I added was whether it is needed to go overboard and review each and every obvious TD. Do you think the Welker TD should have been reviewed? Is there a way to improve the rule to allow challenging of TDs by coaches without penalizing them? I think there is, as I suggested. But if the only way to accomplish the goal is how they've done it, I have no problem with it.
I'm trying to get people to give up the BS "each and every TD gets reviewed" stance

This new review rule is absurd. The game is no longer being called on the field of play. It is being called on video replay.The rules are getting worse and worse each year. Goodell is killing this game with each new rule. The Jets just had a big TD, crowd was goin nuts....then a looooong TV timeout to do another TD review. The ref goes the ruling on the field is confirmed....the crowd was dead already.Awful.
Hi Todem. I had the same exact reaction. This and the KR rule both have the effect of making the game feel so controlled.

Couldn't disagree more. Nothing worse than a TD being called wrong. New rules create more suspense, and get it right. NFL got this one mostly right, but they should auto review any play that might be a td too Hernandez and bush's td's for example. Plays inside the one etc.

'butcher boy said:
Dock ref's their pay when they make bad calls. They'll get better in a hurry.
I'd bet a large sum of money that this is the same kind of butcher who moans and complain when a grill connoisseur or old lady asks for their meat to be cut in a certain way that demands any more than the standard chop, extremely thin sliced, specific thickness etc...I think what we ask of refs (myself included) is often ridiculous and nearly inhuman. I for one am glad they have figured out a quick, efficient way to incorporate technology. Unlike the awful "go under the hood' reviews of years past.

I agree. It's awful. Eventually every play will be reviewed. The obsessive-compulsive people running the league will have to get every spot exactly correct.

This new review rule is absurd. The game is no longer being called on the field of play. It is being called on video replay.The rules are getting worse and worse each year. Goodell is killing this game with each new rule. The Jets just had a big TD, crowd was goin nuts....then a looooong TV timeout to do another TD review. The ref goes the ruling on the field is confirmed....the crowd was dead already.Awful.
Hi Todem. I had the same exact reaction. This and the KR rule both have the effect of making the game feel so controlled.
The new KO rules definitively take a lot of the excitement out of the play. Moreover it used to take a booming kick to secure a touchback, and now I bet Chad Ochocinco could KO and get touchbacks every time. Lessens the value of a Janikowski/Hester, and is less exciting. Silver lining? More yards for your FF team :thumbup: as few leagues give pts for return yardage.

:goodposting:

I didn't like it when I first heard about it, but it really didn't make my Sunday any less enjoyable.
It's a crutch.Instead of making a team use a challenge they are giving freebies for every single TD scored.Its awful.
I respectfully disagree. The stupidest thing in football is the challenge system. Obvious bad calls have not been overturned because a team is either out of challenges or did not use a challenge because they were too late or were saving their challenge for later or were late in throwing the flag, etc. If the idea of IR is to correct bad calls then it should be triggered by the league office, reviewed by the head of officials, and then relayed to the officials on the field. If the NHL can do it then so can the NFL.Instant replay review should be handled this way or be eliminated altogether IMO.
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread