What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (2 Viewers)

Thanks to Walnutz, hooked me up with Gil and a private tour of DC monuments for my family last night. Not cheap, but totally worth it and I'd recommend to anyone.
What do you get on a private tour? Some info, stories, and tidbits?
Tons of stories, history, and tidbits about the city and monuments. First class treatment in suv with driver and drinks. For example, at the Lincoln memorial he had us move around to the back and showed us how the sculptor had put Robert E Lee's profile on the back of Lincolns head.

Swing 51 said:
Hey nittany, what are your thoughts on Restaurant Eve in Alexandria - worth the coin?
YES. Cathal Armstrong/Todd Thrasher are two of the premium culinary talents in the greater Washington Metro area. I have yet to meet anyone who came away from an experience in the Tasting (Dining) Room feeling unsatisfied in either a quantity or price point way. There are several options to enjoy your experience there, worth exploring the website to learn more.

http://www.restauranteve.com/restaurant/

Top 5 DC Metro Area Restaurant, no question, for upscale dining. Call about the dress code. I'm pretty sure it's jacket required.

Thanks nittany, my buddy gave it a nice review. He dropped $450 on dinner for he and his wife and he said its the best meal he's ever had. Not sure if they did tasting menu or not.

Obviously, Nittany's approval is more important than mine, but I'll second on Restaurant Eve. It is great. I did "a la carte" versus the tasting menu, but still a great experience.

Dinner at Old Ebbitts on Monday was amazing. Great oysters and a fair kids menu too. We enjoyed ourselves so much we went back for drinks and more oyster happy hour on Tuesday.

Dinner at Old Ebbitts on Monday was amazing. Great oysters and a fair kids menu too. We enjoyed ourselves so much we went back for drinks and more oyster happy hour on Tuesday.
If you're in that neighborhood, try Georgia Browns (15th Street & I, McPhereson Sq.) Great Southern food.

ETA: Fixed name of restaurant. Can't Type!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, wait, you're from SF, right? You should check out our fish market!
Compared to the fish markets in San Francisco and Seattle, and generally the West Coast, the DC fish market is a joke (and I'm a lifelong local - but one of my strongest areas of culinary expertise is fish/seafood)...similarly, with San Francisco firmly in the American Culinary Stratosphere (along with Manhattan and Chicago), and DC being a decidedly 3rd-tier culinary city (again, I'm a lifelong local and a DC-area Chef - but the truth is the cold, hard truth), it's going to be rough sailing to find culinary excellence that compares to what a typical San Franciscan epicurean would have at their disposal in the City by the Bay. It's not that we don't have those caliber restaurants here, it's just that there are precious few of them, while the 3 aforementioned cities have such a great amount of depth...which in the long run, forces the best restaurants there to work harder to not only maintain their status among their peers, but to fend off any newcomers/make the newcomers work to earn their stripes...

There was a time in my culinary career where, in order to maximize my growth, I took 3 vacations a year: Spring: Manhattan, Summer: Chicago, Fall/Winter: San Francisco. Speaking from experience, if 5 Rings is a gourmand/epicurean from the Bay Area, and wants to eat like that while he's here, here are my suggestions:

These are not in any order, and I'm combining culinary expertise with value - in the DC culinary scene, I think expensive rarely equates with quality, but that doesn't mean these restaurants are inexpensive, or even moderately so, by any means. Every one of these is a Chef-driven restaurant that emphasizes technical skill and quality ingredients:

1. Corduroy (DC)

2. Marcel (DC West End)

3. Restaurant Eve (Alexandria, VA)

4. The Restaurant at Patowmack Farm (Lovetsville, VA - this is a destination that would probably best be enjoyed with an overnight stay, rather than having to drive back after dinner.)

5. Woodberry Kitchen (Baltimore, MD - I'd probably suggest overnighting here as well)

6. Rasika (DC) - upscale modern Indian

7. BlackSalt - DC Palisades - for upscale fish/seafood of any kind and Raw Bar/Oysters (Fiola Mare is outrageously expensive by comparison). PM me if you (or anyone else) is interested in dining at BlackSalt

8. Izakaya Seki / Sushi Capitol - DC - Upscale Modern Japanese/Sushi (Sushi Taro is every bit as good, maybe better, but more expensive)

9. Little Serow - Upscale Modern Thai (by the Chef/Owner of Komi. I don't have Komi on this list because I do not think it represents value - for value Mediterranean, I would recommend Zaytinya, but then we start to move from San Francisco-level restaurants, which Komi is)

10. Vin 909 Winecafe - Annapolis, MD - again, you may want to overnight

11. Seasonal Pantry - but you must, must, MUST call ahead and make absolutely sure Dan O'Brien is there and cooking.

12. Casa Luca, Red Hen, Obelisk - DC - Upscale Modern Italian (Fiola is outrageously expensive)

13. Mintwood Place DC - Adams Morgan - Upscale Modern French

14. Estadio - DC - Upscale Modern Spanish from Spain

15. Rogue 24 - DC - Modern American

Rose's Luxury would be on this list, but I can't abide their reservation policy which requires you to wait in line. Strangely enough, I don't mind the same policy at Little Serow, but Little Serow is quite possibly the best value in the entire DC Metro Area, and that makes up for it...

That should get anyone started who wants to embark on a DC Metro Culinary Experience that, while it's expensive, offers what I feel is value coupled with the thoughtfulness, sophistication, ingredients and skill one would expect to be the norm at the quality restaurants one would find in the 3 major food cities, and certainly the 2nd tier ones (Charleston, Portland (OR), Seattle, Boston, Scottsdale, Miami, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Atlanta, Austin, Los Angeles, etc. - apologies for any I left out, omissions more likely due to thoughtlessness rather than intent).

Curious if this is the same place that we have down this way that is also in D.C.

It's called Zibibbo 73 and serves pretty decent italian food.

Al Galdi just suggested that Bryce Harper's season might be the best individual season in DC sports history. I'm guessing we can go back to Walter Johnson or Sammy Baugh to find something better, but anything during ours or our parents lifetime that challenges Harper's season?

Al Galdi just suggested that Bryce Harper's season might be the best individual season in DC sports history. I'm guessing we can go back to Walter Johnson or Sammy Baugh to find something better, but anything during ours or our parents lifetime that challenges Harper's season?
Did anyone on the Gibbs-era Skins or Patrick Ewing have a that quality season? You know, a team that won something, or at least made the playoffs!!!

Joe Cronin back in 1930 had a pretty good season for that time.

The 23-year-old shortstop hit .346/.422/.513 with 13 HR and 126 RBI and scored 127 runs.

72:36 BB/SO and 17 SB.

His OPS+ 135.

Part of the conversation on the radio was that Harper's season may be lost on some fans because of the overall team disappointment.

Gibbs' teams didn't have many great individual performances. Riggo set the TD record in '83. Ewing might be a good one, but Galdi may have limited it pros. No that we have to limit it, of course.

Ovi's 65 goal season is a candidate.

Part of the conversation on the radio was that Harper's season may be lost on some fans because of the overall team disappointment.

Gibbs' teams didn't have many great individual performances. Riggo set the TD record in '83. Ewing might be a good one, but Galdi may have limited it pros. No that we have to limit it, of course.

I would put his 2009-10 season before that. Better PPG and +/-

I'm 53 and I doubt I've seen anyone have a season like Harper has as far as DC pro teams go. Elvin Hayes had incredible seasons for the Bullets but a lot of them look alike (to my untrained advanced-stats eye). Frank Howard had a few punishing years when hitters were at a severe disadvantage. I know nothing about hockey, so maybe Ovie walks away with this.

If college is included....... I loved those Georgetown teams Ewing played on, but he wasn't even the best player in town during his own era - Lenny Bias was. Ewing was great on teams with great talent around him. Bias had far less to help him and his last season may have been the most dominant in DC history given what he had to work with. Iverson's sophomore year was also amazing.

I'll add that RGIII's rookie year may have been the best individual football season I've ever seen for a DC team.

Wow. RG3's rookie year didn't even cross my mind for some reason. I don't think it beats Harper, but it is at least worth mentioning.

Wow. RG3's rookie year didn't even cross my mind for some reason. I don't think it beats Harper, but it is at least worth mentioning.
I think I'd argue that RGIII's is better. He was the single biggest reason (Other then Kyle Shanahan) his team won the division and went to the playoffs and got a win.

I went back to look at Mark Rypien's 1991 season and was shocked to see how "average" his stats were. All I remember from that year were bomb after bomb to the WRs.

Had my first day of work today in DC. It was only a half day as we got to take a tour of the Capitol Building, which was really cool. Ate at a place called the lockeroom last night to watch the game and went to eat some pizza downtown today at the matchbox, which was great.

That season of Ovi's was the first that jumped out to me. Looking it up, Hockey-Reference.com has it #22 in NHL history for point shares in a season.

Last edited by a moderator:

That season of Ovi's was the first that jumped out to me. Looking it up, Hockey-Reference.com has it #22 in NHL history for point shares in a season.
Arenas tied for 193rd in Win Shares in 2005-2006. That's the best I see. Oof.

Larry Brown tied for 58th in Approximate Value in 1972. He won the MVP that year. I don't believe AV is calculated before 1960.

Harper currently tied for 56th in WAR for position players (178th for all players). Likely will win MVP.

Ovechkin was MVP in that 65-goal season and that was his highest season in Point Shares. His season was 14th among just skaters.

I'd have to lean towards Ovechkin right now, unless 14th is less impressive than 56th because of the number of players they are each competing with?

Is anyone going to see the pope while he's here or avoid the area? I got a free day off work Wednesday and out early today due to the pope visit.

I started my new job this month. Telework isn't available until I've been there for 6 months. No exceptions. I work by Smithsonian Metro. Tomorrow is not going to be a fun day.

Heading to the Lincoln Theater tomorrow night for a concert. U Street so shouldn't be too bad, although I'm gonna metro in to the city and will leave plenty of time to get there in case ####.

I imagine that the drive won't be so terrible, but the garage in my building is closed (I think they are closing 18th street right where my office is), so . . . no thank you.

Telework. Trying very hard to stay off my kids' Advance Warfare.

Rented a kayak at the place next to the Georgetown boathouse, under the Key Bridge, this weekend and had a great time paddling around for a couple of hours. Went to the Lincoln Memorial, up to Three Sisters Island and just really enjoyed being on the water in the middle of the city. It was cheap too, just $20 per hour for a 2-person kayak.

Potbelly? :shrug:
Going to give this a try thanks!
It's a national chain, if you're not familiar. Nothing great, but it's fine. And I mainly mentioned it because, IIRC, you work at Navy Yard and there's one near there. Not sure if there's anything on Barrack's Row (8th street) near Navy Yard. Maybe Ted's Bulletin?
I've never eaten here so it's all new to me. Got exactly what I wanted. Grilled chicken and cheddar with a mixed berry smoothie.

Users who are viewing this thread