What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE Onterrio Smith Saturday night thread (1 Viewer)

One thing that I've found interesting in this ongoing O. Smith debate is that most of the people who bash him have never even seen him play. He won me over with that WSU game when he was a sophomore at Oregon. :eek:

It's still early in the preseason, and while Onterrio Smith's stock continues to rise, this would be the time to get him. If Onterrio Smith starts in Minny this year (which he should) he will be rookie of the year---he's that good, and the Minny offensive line is massive.

Just a small note to all the guys who think smith missed that block.Was listening to kfan radio this morning which is at minnesotas training camp in mankato. They had Tice on and he said that their fullback jeremy allen was supposed to make that block. So smith wasn't pulled for missing a block according to Tice.

Just a small note to all the guys who think smith missed that block.Was listening to kfan radio this morning which is at minnesotas training camp in mankato. They had Tice on and he said that their fullback jeremy allen was supposed to make that block. So smith wasn't pulled for missing a block according to Tice.
Glad that's been cleared up by the coaching staff who actually knew what the blocking assignments were on that play. Now maybe the fat, balding arm chair QB's will pipe down on Onterrio Smith missing that block.

Still haven't heard when you guys would pick him. In most 12-14 team leagues I lay money he goes 3rd to early 4th... you think that's a good value for him?
I would take him in the 5th as my RB3. I don't see him going in 3rd/4th rounds generally. His ADP for 12 teams is currently 5.12 according to antsports mock drafts since August 1st, 2003. That's the END of the 5th round. In 10 team leagues his ADP is 6.10 -- END of the 6th round. If O Smith keeps looking good the next couple weeks and his stock rises, then I might consider grabbing him in the 4th (again probably as RB3).
Portis also had a denver offensive line that led to Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson 1000 yard seasons... now the viking O-line is pretty good, but, I doubt they are that good.
The Vikes O-line is probably a top 5 run-blocking O-line. I give no advantage to Denver on this one.

More Mike Tice comments on Onterrio Smith from vikings.comQ: What does the running back situation look like?A: I think Onterrio Smith separated himself very quickly. As soon as those bright lights came on, he came on. He is in better shape now; he has his weight down to a manageable weight. He looks better every day; he looks more confident every day. I love the way he carries his pads and runs behind his pads. Certainly I think he is a player and I think now he is going to have a great chance on Saturday night to prove that he is the guy or not.

More Mike Tice comments on Onterrio Smith from vikings.comQ: What does the running back situation look like?A: I think Onterrio Smith separated himself very quickly. As soon as those bright lights came on, he came on. He is in better shape now; he has his weight down to a manageable weight. He looks better every day; he looks more confident every day. I love the way he carries his pads and runs behind his pads. Certainly I think he is a player and I think now he is going to have a great chance on Saturday night to prove that he is the guy or not.
Shhhhhh....Don't let people know what Tice is saying about Smith. Let them think he's still in the doghouse.Seriously, I can't wait for Tommy Gunz half way through the season to break in about how much Smith sucks... :P

Seriously, how many of you guys WATCHED the game? You guys make Onterrio as this god...acting like Bennett will never be the starter again because "he has all the physical skills and Bennett is just a speed guy". Bull crap...I watched the game, I watched Onterrio do a lot of fancy dancing and never getting anywhere, if that impresses you, you must like the Jerry Springer show. But I saw nothing that separated him from Chapman or any other of the Vikings RBs.Let him run against the 1st string defensive line like his competion is...then we will see if he is still impressive or if he is dancing into tackles. Hopefully this time he won't blow a block and get pulled...Oh Switz....I watched the game. I watched Onterrio blow the block and I watched him standing on the sidelines until the 2nd string O-Line came out, I don't need a link for WHAT I WATCHED.Do you want a link to my thoughts too? One more thing Switz, when you and Onterrio going to finally tie the knot?

Hehe. I have been hyping Smith up all offseason. I was even talking him up before the injury. I plan on serving up a nice dish of crow to the naysayers when he breaks the 1,000 yard barrier.

You guys make Onterrio as this god...acting like Bennett will never be the starter again because "he has all the physical skills and Bennett is just a speed guy". Bull crap...I watched the game, I watched Onterrio do a lot of fancy dancing and never getting anywhere... I saw nothing that separated him from Chapman or any other of the Vikings RBs.Let him run against the 1st string defensive line like his competion is...then we will see if he is still impressive or if he is dancing into tackles. Hopefully this time he won't blow a block and get pulled...One more thing Switz, when you and Onterrio going to finally tie the knot?
Ah... what people sink to when they run out of arguments... :sleep:

You guys make Onterrio as this god...acting like Bennett will never be the starter again because "he has all the physical skills and Bennett is just a speed guy". Bull crap...I watched the game, I watched Onterrio do a lot of fancy dancing and never getting anywhere... I saw nothing that separated him from Chapman or any other of the Vikings RBs.Let him run against the 1st string defensive line like his competion is...then we will see if he is still impressive or if he is dancing into tackles. Hopefully this time he won't blow a block and get pulled...One more thing Switz, when you and Onterrio going to finally tie the knot?
Ah... what people sink to when they run out of arguments... :sleep:
Run out of arguments? I'm saying wait and see, you are saying he is already better than Bennett. I watched the game, you didn't. Why didn't you give an actual response to my post? Oh maybe because YOU have no argument because I'm the one being reasonable.I honestly would love it he could step up, since I'm a Vikings fan, but you can't tell jack from playing against the second string defense. I saw him play in the Vikings scrimmage last Tuesday playing against the Vikings defense and he did NOTHING. But I guess I don't know what I'm talking about and you are a genious.Let me bow at your greatness :rolleyes:

I watched the game, you didn't.
Huh?
Why didn't you give an actual response to my post?
There were no points to contend. It was a stream of incomprehensible rubbish. YOU WROTE: We make him like a god...OK - that's your opinionYOU WROTE: I watched Onterrio do a lot of fancy dancing and never getting anywhereWell gee, he was the team leading rusher, he scored a TD, the coach says he separated himself from the pack... I guess you're right. :rolleyes: YOU WROTE: Hopefully this time he won't blow a block and get pulledWell coach says it wasn't his assignment, so I guess it's good he made an attempt to blockYOU WROTE: Let him run against the 1st string defensive lineWell that's exactly what caoch said he'd do, but I have no say in that, so telling me to let him do it makes zero sense
I saw him play in the Vikings scrimmage last Tuesday playing against the Vikings defense and he did NOTHING.
Wow... a whole week ago, and how many days did he have under his belt? Was it tackle? Had he memorized the blocking schemes?Listen, you put fait in what you think you see. You put faith in a scrimmage. I'll believe what I've seen in college, in preseaosn games, and in my evaluation of his talent.We'll see who is right.You can sink to empty-headed slurs or insults if you wish. It adds no weight to your weak arguments.

Huh?There were no points to contend. It was a stream of incomprehensible rubbish. YOU WROTE: We make him like a god...OK - that's your opinionYOU WROTE: I watched Onterrio do a lot of fancy dancing and never getting anywhereWell gee, he was the team leading rusher, he scored a TD, the coach says he separated himself from the pack... I guess you're right. :rolleyes: YOU WROTE: Hopefully this time he won't blow a block and get pulledWell coach says it wasn't his assignment, so I guess it's good he made an attempt to blockYOU WROTE: Let him run against the 1st string defensive lineWell that's exactly what caoch said he'd do, but I have no say in that, so telling me to let him do it makes zero senseWow... a whole week ago, and how many days did he have under his belt? Was it tackle? Had he memorized the blocking schemes?Listen, you put fait in what you think you see. You put faith in a scrimmage. I'll believe what I've seen in college, in preseaosn games, and in my evaluation of his talent.We'll see who is right.You can sink to empty-headed slurs or insults if you wish. It adds no weight to your weak arguments.
It was a full contact scrimmage.Why exactly aren't you talking about the comment Tice made about not wanting a rookie RB starting, but that it would be RBBC? Oh because that comment doesn't matter, the guy is probably just making it up.I'm sorry, again let me bow, Onterrio is the best RB in the league right now and will be a hall of famer. Happy now???

why are people arguing about this. it is very clear that some people just will not agree on onterrio smith.

as a person who hasn't seem him run, I'm pretty optimistic about his chances.

these quotes taken from the most recent Vikings blogger article indicate to me that he'll be a significant factor for the Vikes this year:

Throwing more downfield is not merely a function of greed. With Bennett rehabilitating a stress fracture in his left foot, the Vikings have lost their only breakaway threat in the backfield; likely replacement starter Doug Chapman is more of a between-the-tackles slasher.

After Saturday's game, however, the Vikings had grown increasingly convinced rookie Onterrio Smith will contribute significantly this season. He rushed for 33 yards and a touchdown against Jacksonville's defensive reserves, and while he might not be a gamebreaker, he displayed the rushing instincts that had him ranked among the top college runners last year.

Chapman likely will start Saturday against Kansas City, but Tice reiterated Sunday that Smith had leapfrogged Larry Ned and essentially is now competing directly with Chapman for the starting job. Smith will see "a whole lot of time" with the Vikings' first-team offense Saturday, Tice said.

"I thought Smith took a lot of strides toward that running back position," Tice added. "This is a battle to where someone has to show me they can be the guy. Chapman didn't hurt his chances, but I think this thing is defining itself as a two-man battle."
Sure sounds to me like O.Smith helped his chances quite a bit with his performance in the game. Meanwhile, you have to expect a rookie to only get better as he gets more comfortable. Chapman has been there for a couple years, and if he's not clearly established as the starter after the next game or two, then I think Smith has a great opportunity to become the feature back early in the season just as Bennett did last year when the Vikes were going RBBC for the first few weeks of the year.

I don't care how good he looks now. He is in preseason and even if he ends up starting Mo Williams will still vulture goalline TD's.. Either way he's at best a #3 RB. It took Bennett a few years to be worthy of a weekly start. Anything more then a #3 RB on your team will be too risky.

I watched the game, I watched Onterrio do a lot of fancy dancing and never getting anywhere, if that impresses you, you must like the Jerry Springer show.
I guess Mike Tice and Scott Linehan must like the Jerry Springer show. :rolleyes: The Vikes staff seemed pretty impressed with what Onterrio Smith created on the field out of basically alot of dead end plays. And yes I watched the game, and yes I think Onterrio Smith is going to be a good one.And that's the word according to Yao.

Why exactly aren't you talking about the comment Tice made about not wanting a rookie RB starting, but that it would be RBBC? Oh because that comment doesn't matter, the guy is probably just making it up.
Please... you're not serious are you?Everyone has known for a long time that it'll be RBBC... it was last year too. However, that doesn't mean it will stay that way, and just because Tice said at one point he wasn't sure he'd feel comfortable starting a rookie doesn't mean he won't. Especially since those comments were made within days of Smith signing. Now (and I believe that's the timeframe that counts) Tice is saying that Smith has a chance to be the starter.IMO this is just like the Portis situation. People were saying the EXACT same things last year...

IMO this is just like the Portis situation. People were saying the EXACT same things last year...
Nice analogy. I remember all the Portis bashers last year, lol! Anyway, with Bennett's status being pushed back recently to missing more than 1/2 the season I just don't see why people are so down on Smith. It's risk vs reward and I'll be glad to roll the dice on this kid as my #4RB. :thumbup:

Please... you're not serious are you?Everyone has known for a long time that it'll be RBBC... it was last year too. However, that doesn't mean it will stay that way, and just because Tice said at one point he wasn't sure he'd feel comfortable starting a rookie doesn't mean he won't. Especially since those comments were made within days of Smith signing. Now (and I believe that's the timeframe that counts) Tice is saying that Smith has a chance to be the starter.IMO this is just like the Portis situation. People were saying the EXACT same things last year...
This is not even close to the Portis situation. #1 there wasn't a hurt starting RB and a competition for the starting job. #2 there wasn't a goalline back already in place to take away touches and TD's.. So what if Bennett reaches his targer you get a guy who will get a bulk of the carries between the 20's and then lose his job in November. Drafting him in middle rounds is crazy cause of all the question marks.

This is not even close to the Portis situation. #1 there wasn't a hurt starting RB and a competition for the starting job. #2 there wasn't a goalline back already in place to take away touches and TD's.. So what if Bennett reaches his targer you get a guy who will get a bulk of the carries between the 20's and then lose his job in November. Drafting him in middle rounds is crazy cause of all the question marks.
Are you SERIOUS?Last year, training camp - Terrel Davis was the injured #1, Gary was the "Chapman-like" starter who could "get the job done" but wasn't very fancy and Portis was the incoming rookie with all the nifty moves. On your second point re" GL carries, ever heard of Mike Anderson? That was his initial role in his switch to FB - goalline and short yardage back to spell Gary. All three backs were selected in my Denver based draft, and Portis was in the 6th, two rounds after Gary.If you don't see the Portis analogy, you are blind.On OSmith in the RBBC, where exactly is everyone thinking of selecting Amos Zereoue and Kevan Barlow? OSmith has a better chance of seeing significant carries than either of those backs, and probably can be had a round or two later. Then there is the selections of A-Train, AintGonnaWin Smith, Stacey Mack, and a handful of other backs who could split time or have a lack of production because they aren't all that talented, or aren't in a great system. It seems a decision to take OSmith right where those guys are selected is a wise move, regardless of his potential RBBC status at the beginning of the year.I've SEEN OSmith run. He's the real deal and was a significantly more polished runner coming out of college than Michael Bennett was at the midpoint of last year.

I plan on serving up a nice dish of crow to the naysayers when he breaks the 1,000 yard barrier.
Just like I plan on serving you a nice plate of crow when Onterrio gets busted for pot, or DUI, or anyother incident that'll get his butt suspended.BUYER BEWARE!

Are you SERIOUS?Last year, training camp - Terrel Davis was the injured #1, Gary was the "Chapman-like" starter who could "get the job done" but wasn't very fancy and Portis was the incoming rookie with all the nifty moves. On your second point re" GL carries, ever heard of Mike Anderson? That was his initial role in his switch to FB - goalline and short yardage back to spell Gary. All three backs were selected in my Denver based draft, and Portis was in the 6th, two rounds after Gary.If you don't see the Portis analogy, you are blind.On OSmith in the RBBC, where exactly is everyone thinking of selecting Amos Zereoue and Kevan Barlow? OSmith has a better chance of seeing significant carries than either of those backs, and probably can be had a round or two later. Then there is the selections of A-Train, AintGonnaWin Smith, Stacey Mack, and a handful of other backs who could split time or have a lack of production because they aren't all that talented, or aren't in a great system. It seems a decision to take OSmith right where those guys are selected is a wise move, regardless of his potential RBBC status at the beginning of the year.I've SEEN OSmith run. He's the real deal and was a significantly more polished runner coming out of college than Michael Bennett was at the midpoint of last year.
:yes: :thumbup:

Davis was NEVER a factor.. Everybody knew he was done.. Hell he was on depth chart for a few weeks in preseason. Anderson was FB and was that way out of training camp. He was an option for goalline carries. People in the forums hyped him as a possible starter .. Gary was they only competition and that was settled early. And again IF Bennett comes back he is riding pine.. Sorry dude but this ISN'T the same.. All indications are that Bennett will be back this year and if thats the case no room except as for change of pace. Don't try and sell him to me.. He has nice upside but way too many question marks to make him more then a #3 RB right now...

You are blind, my friend - they MOVED Anderson to FB in training camp for the GL and short yardage carries (ala - what the Vikes have with Moe), the starting RB competition was wide open at the beginning of training camp after TD failed to check out as healthy with the doctors (ala Michael Bennett's foot injury and the currently open starting back competition in Vike camp), the veteran Olandis Gary was expected to start b/c he was a teady producer who knew the offense (ala Doug Chapman), and Clinton Portis was the guy turning heads in camp, but the coaches were not enamored with his fumbling propensity so he was not getting the start (ala OSmith and his alleged need to learn blocking schemes)This is as clear a deja vu situation as I've ever seen. If you do not see the analogy, I have to discount anything you say as being deliberately blind to the facts in front of your nose.BTW, I am not saying OSmith IS the next Portis, just that the situations are ridiculously analagous.

Davis was NEVER a factor.. Everybody knew he was done.. Hell he was on depth chart for a few weeks in preseason. Anderson was FB and was that way out of training camp. He was an option for goalline carries. People in the forums hyped him as a possible starter .. Gary was they only competition and that was settled early. And again IF Bennett comes back he is riding pine.. Sorry dude but this ISN'T the same.. All indications are that Bennett will be back this year and if thats the case no room except as for change of pace. Don't try and sell him to me.. He has nice upside but way too many question marks to make him more then a #3 RB right now...
I saw Davis get drafted pretty highly in a bunch of early drafts last year. Hindsight is clouding your memory a bit here, I'm afraid. Anderson and Gary were often drafted ahead of Portis in later drafts after Portis kept fumbling the ball. The numbers from the first two weeks provide a pretty clear indication of their roles early on:Week 1Gary - 11att, 85ydsAnderson - 7att, 37ydsPortis - 5att, 34ydsWeek 2Gary - 12att, 72yds, 1TDAnderson - 10att, 96yds, 1TDPortis - 4att, 12ydsAlso, all indications ARE NOT that Bennett will be back this year. There have been some reports that he may miss the entire season, and the recovery timetable has already been pushed back a couple weeks.IMO, the situation will be very similar to the way it was in Minnesota last year but just replace Michael Bennett with Onterrio Smith. They will start out RBBC early, but Smith will probably emerge as the #1 RB over time. I'm not certain what will happen if and when Bennett returns, but if Smith does well with the opportunities he's given, I don't see him getting immediately benched when Bennett returns. I also think he'd be a better short yardage and goalline option than Bennett. There was talk before Bennett got injured that the Vikings were considering using him more in those situations, thus creating even less of a RBBC. If the Vikes coaches decided to do that with O.Smith, he'd be a great value at the end of the 5th round as a RB3.

I saw Davis get drafted pretty highly in a bunch of early drafts last year. Hindsight is clouding your memory a bit here, I'm afraid. Anderson and Gary were often drafted ahead of Portis in later drafts after Portis kept fumbling the ball. The numbers from the first two weeks provide a pretty clear indication of their roles early on:Week 1Gary - 11att, 85ydsAnderson - 7att, 37ydsPortis - 5att, 34ydsWeek 2Gary - 12att, 72yds, 1TDAnderson - 10att, 96yds, 1TDPortis - 4att, 12ydsAlso, all indications ARE NOT that Bennett will be back this year. There have been some reports that he may miss the entire season, and the recovery timetable has already been pushed back a couple weeks.IMO, the situation will be very similar to the way it was in Minnesota last year but just replace Michael Bennett with Onterrio Smith. They will start out RBBC early, but Smith will probably emerge as the #1 RB over time. I'm not certain what will happen if and when Bennett returns, but if Smith does well with the opportunities he's given, I don't see him getting immediately benched when Bennett returns. I also think he'd be a better short yardage and goalline option than Bennett. There was talk before Bennett got injured that the Vikings were considering using him more in those situations, thus creating even less of a RBBC. If the Vikes coaches decided to do that with O.Smith, he'd be a great value at the end of the 5th round as a RB3.
Well only fools took Davis last year. I remember it well.. Anderson was a late round pick and even with the battle Portis going in the 5th or earlier. I don't remember Gary going that low. If anything everybody hyped Portis so much he was going ahead of all and people were taking Gary later to hopefully get a steal.. As for that bennett out for the year crap you heard of a possibility IF it doesn't heal properly..Michael Bennett will wear a cast on his left foot for a total of six weeks, two more than originally planned. This won't necessarily prevent Bennett from returning in mid-October, but that timetable still seems to be a longshot. Bennett could miss the entire season if his foot doesn't heal properly. They only delayed the return cause they delayed the cast getting removed and didn't want to shorten his rehab. So Bennett back in November and Smith moves to change of pace. Nothing I have read or heard suggests long term gains by taking him. If I hear Bennett is not returning then that changes things but again anything earlier then a 3rd RB is too risky..

Well only fools took Davis last year. I remember it well.. Anderson was a late round pick and even with the battle Portis going in the 5th or earlier. I don't remember Gary going that low. If anything everybody hyped Portis so much he was going ahead of all and people were taking Gary later to hopefully get a steal.. As for that bennett out for the year crap you heard of a possibility IF it doesn't heal properly..

Michael Bennett will wear a cast on his left foot for a total of six weeks, two more than originally planned. This won't necessarily prevent Bennett from returning in mid-October, but that timetable still seems to be a longshot. Bennett could miss the entire season if his foot doesn't heal properly.

They only delayed the return cause they delayed the cast getting removed and didn't want to shorten his rehab. So Bennett back in November and Smith moves to change of pace. Nothing I have read or heard suggests long term gains by taking him. If I hear Bennett is not returning then that changes things but again anything earlier then a 3rd RB is too risky..
What if these are your first 5 picks?1.08 Shaun Alexander

2.05 Randy Moss

3.08 Michael Vick

4.05 Todd Heap

5.08 Onterrio Smith

The other RBs available at the 5.08 spot are: Emmitt, Hearst, Alstott, and Bettis. Chances are you will also be able to get one of those guys at the 6.05 spot. O.Smith has to have more upside than any of those guys so I don't really get what some of you are so afraid of. It's not like your passing up on some other stud to take O.Smith in the middle of the 5th after 25-28 RBs have likely already gone off the board.

You must draft late in the summer, because during July drafts last year Davis was definitely a consideration. Portis saw his value fluctuate quite a bit and many people were debating his potential in just the same way that we are discussing O.Smith right now.

As for Bennet's prognosis, this article is not nearly as confident as you are that he will return: Vikings Delay Bennett Return

Key quotes include the following:

As a precaution, the Vikings have pushed back the timetable on Michael Bennett's return this season. That's if the team's starting running back returns at all this season. With that possibility looming large, the team has delayed the removal of the cast on his left foot, which will delay his rehabilitation.

The Vikings will wait until Bennett begins rehabilitation to set a timetable on his return.

Tice said the team is planning as if Bennett might miss the season, but added that the slower approach is aimed at enhancing his chance to return.

"If we can get him back for the last two months that would be great, so we're just moving everything back a little,'' Tice said. "It's going to be some time before we know anything. We have to see him rehab and see what's going on. We initially thought we'd know something earlier, but it's just not possible. So things have been backed up a little.''

Bennett broke the foot in April and had a screw inserted to help it heal. In July, the screw broke, prompting the latest surgery and putting his season in jeopardy.
How anybody could read that and then post that "all indications are that Bennett will return this year" is simply beyond me.

Well only fools took Davis last year. I remember it well.. Anderson was a late round pick and even with the battle Portis going in the 5th or earlier. I don't remember Gary going that low. If anything everybody hyped Portis so much he was going ahead of all and people were taking Gary later to hopefully get a steal.. As for that bennett out for the year crap you heard of a possibility IF it doesn't heal properly..Michael Bennett will wear a cast on his left foot for a total of six weeks, two more than originally planned. This won't necessarily prevent Bennett from returning in mid-October, but that timetable still seems to be a longshot. Bennett could miss the entire season if his foot doesn't heal properly. They only delayed the return cause they delayed the cast getting removed and didn't want to shorten his rehab. So Bennett back in November and Smith moves to change of pace. Nothing I have read or heard suggests long term gains by taking him. If I hear Bennett is not returning then that changes things but again anything earlier then a 3rd RB is too risky..
Wow - it's like arguing about the color of a tree with a man who has never seen the sun.First: Bennett's return has been pushed back, in a BEST CASE scenario, to the end of October. That's BEST CASE. The absolute earliest he could see even partial action is Nov. 2 - remember that "return" does not mean a return to the starting role. He won't begin RUNNING again until after the season starts, and that means he will not have seen the football field in nearly 5 months, after a long off-season layoff. You are doubly blind if you think he returns Nov. 2 and is handed the rock immediately. Expect Bennett back mid November at the earliest, early December for a playoff push as the more likely scenario.Second: you do NOT remember the Gary/Portis situation clearly. Gary was the NAMED starter by the end of the preseason, he was the starter for the first two games of the year, and he was mired in a RBBC with ANDERSON, not Portis, to start the season. Portis was given the rock in week 3 and ran the rest of the way with it, but he was expected, at the time, to continue to lose goalline and short yardage carries to Anderson.Third: Draft position. I am in a DENVER BASED league (you know, the most information about the local players and the guys who pick with their hearts not their heads). Gary went early round 4. Portis went mid-round 6. Anderson went early in the 8th. We drafted the Wednesday before the season opened - in other words, with the best information available. When the season opened, the starter was set at Gary, with Portis to be worked in, and Anderson to receive a heavy workload. When Portis was subbed for Gary, the assumption was that Anderson and Portis would split (as OSmith and Moe Williams are projected to split if OSmith wins the job).On this point, in EARLY drafts (ie - before July 31), TD was often a selection and was not considered a "foolish" selection until training camp, when the docs said he was not healing. If you REALLY want me to dig up the links from last year about TD still coming back as of June last year, I will try.

Wow - it's like arguing about the color of a tree with a man who has never seen the sun.First: Bennett's return has been pushed back, in a BEST CASE scenario, to the end of October. That's BEST CASE. The absolute earliest he could see even partial action is Nov. 2 - remember that "return" does not mean a return to the starting role. He won't begin RUNNING again until after the season starts, and that means he will not have seen the football field in nearly 5 months, after a long off-season layoff. You are doubly blind if you think he returns Nov. 2 and is handed the rock immediately. Expect Bennett back mid November at the earliest, early December for a playoff push as the more likely scenario.Second: you do NOT remember the Gary/Portis situation clearly. Gary was the NAMED starter by the end of the preseason, he was the starter for the first two games of the year, and he was mired in a RBBC with ANDERSON, not Portis, to start the season. Portis was given the rock in week 3 and ran the rest of the way with it, but he was expected, at the time, to continue to lose goalline and short yardage carries to Anderson.Third: Draft position. I am in a DENVER BASED league (you know, the most information about the local players and the guys who pick with their hearts not their heads). Gary went early round 4. Portis went mid-round 6. Anderson went early in the 8th. We drafted the Wednesday before the season opened - in other words, with the best information available. When the season opened, the starter was set at Gary, with Portis to be worked in, and Anderson to receive a heavy workload. When Portis was subbed for Gary, the assumption was that Anderson and Portis would split (as OSmith and Moe Williams are projected to split if OSmith wins the job).On this point, in EARLY drafts (ie - before July 31), TD was often a selection and was not considered a "foolish" selection until training camp, when the docs said he was not healing. If you REALLY want me to dig up the links from last year about TD still coming back as of June last year, I will try.
Your a piece of work... Its like your trying to round up a colt of Smith followers to hopefully join your campaign for the fight to have Smith start.. I never said he is a bad RB. I never said not to draft him but it is NOT the same as Portis. As for the competition its basically Chapman and Smith fighting with no matter who wins Williams the goalline back.. Again even IF Smith does start he has the chance of Bennett returning. NOT the same as Portis. Davis was never a factor again.. There are some similar circumstances but come on tone it down a bit. No matter how much you preach it won't make him a sure bet... :wall:

This discussion has gotten completely out of hand. Clearly, there are two camps here: Group One: Group One doesn't feel Onterrio will be a significant FF contributor this season. Whether it be for reasons such as RBBC or Bennett's possible return, one group simply doesn't care to have Onterrio Smith. :no: Group Two: Group Two will be collecting Group One's money when Onterrio blows up into a strong RB2. Group Two recognizes that if there were such things as sure things, fantasy football would be as much fun as paying taxes. If you like him, draft him. If you don't, draft somebody else. I firmly believe that taking chances wins leagues. It also loses leagues, but I have very little interest in finishing 2nd, 3rd, etc. HERD

Exactly where did I preach that OSmith was the "man" in my last post or try to get people on his bandwagon? If you re-read up a few posts, I specifically said, in plain and clear English, "BTW, I am not saying OSmith IS the next Portis, just that the situations are ridiculously analagous."There are way more than "some" similarities between the situations - they are almost identical at this point.One more time:The Broncos were expecting TD to play until the mini-camps showed he was too damaged and he was sitting for the year as of the first day of training camp. - the Vikings were expecting Bennett to start until, in mini camps, he hurt himself and he was sitting as of the first day of training camp.The competition in Bronco training camp opened with Gary and Portis battling for the starting spot, with Mike Anderson expected to get the bulk of GL and short yardage carries. - competition in the Vikings training camp opened with Chapman and OSmith battling for the starting position with Moe Williams expected to get the bulk of the GL and short yardage carries.During training camp/preseason last year, Portis was turning heads in camp and getting praise from his coaches, but the coaches were still adamant that Gary was the starter and Portis was competing with him - so far, in Vikings camp, OSmith has been turning heads and getting praise from his coaches, but the coaches are still admant that Chapman is the starter and that OSmith is competing with him (Tice stated Chapman did not "hurt himself" in the bid to be the starter, but it is a two-way race).

Onterrio Smith is a far more talented running back than Doug Chapman is, and given equal opportunity, I can't imagine a scenario where Chapman beats out Smith over the long haul. The "long haul" is increasingly looking like the start of the regular season, but might last a few games into it.After only one preseason game, most accounts of the game are that (1) Onterrio showed a knack for making the first guy miss, (2) he impressed his head coach with his shiftiness and vision, and (3) the infamous missed block was NOT his assignment. Not only that, but he was given a goal-line oppportunity and succeeded. Running behind the first offensive line and against a starting defensive line will be a better indicator of where he's at, but the coaching staff obviously would rather start Smith than Chapman.Now, I realize the Tice said he "probaby" wouldn't be comfortable starting a rookie at the start of the season. Then again, what else could he say? That it's Smith's job to lose? It just pushes Smith even harder to show what he's capable of, and the better play will be on the field. Tice would be absolutely lambasted if Smith proves to be the better running back but isn't on the field in favor of a lesser talent like Chapman.Michael Bennett, IF he comes back at all this year, won't be nearly ready to assume a regular role in the offense after sitting out for several months. If the running game is working well, I don't imagine Tice screwing with it very much. Of course, I don't imagine Bennett seeing the field this year.And how much of Moe Williams' anticipated role he could steal away remains to be seen, but if he shows an ability to run short yardage, block, and/or catch passes, his ability will keep him on the field more often than Bennett ever was. Bennett lacked the vision to run on the goal-line, and lacked the hands to catch passes.He's AWESOME value right now in the 5th and 6th rounds, given the other running backs available at that time. If he wins the job outright, his potential is easily that of a top-20 RB.

Re: similarity to the Denver situation last year. Did Denver already have two established goal line RBs? I don't believe they did. I think some people forget that Smith will be the 3rd option, at best, behind Culpepper and Williams.

Re: similarity to the Denver situation last year. Did Denver already have two established goal line RBs? I don't believe they did. I think some people forget that Smith will be the 3rd option, at best, behind Culpepper and Williams.
I believe Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson were solid choices for goalline carries. Also, Bennett did pretty well and was going in the 2nd round of most drafts DESPITE playing in the same offense with the same goalline vultures. As others have said, O.Smith has the potential to be an everydown back which means he could get more goalline carries and receptions than Bennett did.

While I feel better about you O. Smith fan's arguments, I still do not believe that he'll be available in the 5th round with all the hype surrounding him and the 'clinton portis factor' haunting everyone. I guess in 8 or possibly 10 team leagues you have a shot, but in a 12 or 14 team league, I'd just bet that he goes earlier. Portis went in the third last year in our 14 team league.

The biggest hype guys just always seem to get reached for way way too early to find real value out of them. Portis is by far the exception to the rule, not the norm.

F

Also, Bennett did pretty well and was going in the 2nd round of most drafts DESPITE playing in the same offense with the same goalline vultures
Excellent point. Hitting the nail on the head!I think it is important to evaluate whether or not you think Smith can produce the same FF #s Bennett could produce. If the answer is "yes" of "close to the same" then he's a viable RB3 option, bordering on RB2 territory. If you then are willing to bet he'll take back a couple of the Goalline TDs that went to Culp or Moe (I'm willing to bet he will), then Smith becomes a solid RB2....in the 4th, 5th, or 6th round. :yes: HERD

Anyone wonder how good Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Franco Harris, Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, etc. could block? Didn't think so.
Actually, some of us do. Jim Brown and Payton, in particular, were terrific blockers. And yes, coaches won't play a guy who doesn't block. That's true in college too, if they have any kind of pass offense.

:yes: :thumbup:
I have to disagree with you Ranethe, that one should get two thumbs up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can't believe I've yet to chime in on this epic Onterrio thread. The way I've seen it on this board, it all basically breaks down to people who have never seen him play and want to dismiss him as a trendy pick vs. people who have seen him play and know he is the real deal.Please, by all means doubters, draft AZ & Barlow ahead of him. Go right ahead. You're right, he's going to be wallowed in RBBC mire, splitting carries with the immortal Doug Chapman. :rolleyes: I mean, J.C., can't you people see the writing on the walls? After one pre-season game & Tice is already on his knees for the guy. You really think he's gonna let Onterrio split carries?WCS is that Moe steals GL and 3D carries. Big whoop. I'll still take Onterrios 1300-1400/5 in the 4th any day.

This discussion has gotten completely out of hand. Clearly, there are two camps here: Group One: Group One doesn't feel Onterrio will be a significant FF contributor this season. Whether it be for reasons such as RBBC or Bennett's possible return, one group simply doesn't care to have Onterrio Smith. :no: Group Two: Group Two will be collecting Group One's money when Onterrio blows up into a strong RB2. Group Two recognizes that if there were such things as sure things, fantasy football would be as much fun as paying taxes. If you like him, draft him. If you don't, draft somebody else. I firmly believe that taking chances wins leagues. It also loses leagues, but I have very little interest in finishing 2nd, 3rd, etc. HERD
AmenThats why FF is not won in the first 3 rounds, when your picking high quality starters. After that mix in some solid picks with 'gamble' type players, like smith, with a chance to blow up well beyond their draft position.

The way I've seen it on this board, it all basically breaks down to people who have never seen him play and want to dismiss him as a trendy pick vs. people who have seen him play and know he is the real deal..
Yep, Exactly

Onterrio Smith is a far more talented running back than Doug Chapman is, and given equal opportunity, I can't imagine a scenario where Chapman beats out Smith over the long haul. The "long haul" is increasingly looking like the start of the regular season, but might last a few games into it.After only one preseason game, most accounts of the game are that (1) Onterrio showed a knack for making the first guy miss, (2) he impressed his head coach with his shiftiness and vision, and (3) the infamous missed block was NOT his assignment. Not only that, but he was given a goal-line oppportunity and succeeded. Running behind the first offensive line and against a starting defensive line will be a better indicator of where he's at, but the coaching staff obviously would rather start Smith than Chapman.Now, I realize the Tice said he "probaby" wouldn't be comfortable starting a rookie at the start of the season. Then again, what else could he say? That it's Smith's job to lose? It just pushes Smith even harder to show what he's capable of, and the better play will be on the field. Tice would be absolutely lambasted if Smith proves to be the better running back but isn't on the field in favor of a lesser talent like Chapman.Michael Bennett, IF he comes back at all this year, won't be nearly ready to assume a regular role in the offense after sitting out for several months. If the running game is working well, I don't imagine Tice screwing with it very much. Of course, I don't imagine Bennett seeing the field this year.And how much of Moe Williams' anticipated role he could steal away remains to be seen, but if he shows an ability to run short yardage, block, and/or catch passes, his ability will keep him on the field more often than Bennett ever was. Bennett lacked the vision to run on the goal-line, and lacked the hands to catch passes.He's AWESOME value right now in the 5th and 6th rounds, given the other running backs available at that time. If he wins the job outright, his potential is easily that of a top-20 RB.
I wonder if you could think of a scenario where Chapman would be a higher draft pick than Onterrio. Oh that's right...he was. People are really forgetting that Doug Chapman was a 3rd round pick who has never gotten a chance to play. He was going to be the starter in 2001 until they drafted Bennett. In 2000 he was stuck behind Robert Smith.People really are underestimating Chapman's talent. The coaching staff loved him so much in 2001 that they kept him instead of fan favorite Moe Williams.As for your breakdown of his first game:(1) Onterrio showed a knack for making the first guy missNo he didn't, he made a lot moves and still got nowhere. He had two nice runs of maybe 7 each where there were pretty big holes for him to run in. That leaves him with 19 yards on 10 carries on the rest, not really making the first guy miss unless the first guy is 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.(2) he impressed his head coach with his shiftiness and visionThat he did, didn't impress me, but impressed the guy who really counts.(3) the infamous missed block was NOT his assignment.Yeah, but if there is a guy coming at you, going after the QB, shouldn't you block him even if it isn't your assignment? Tice did take him out of the game after that play. Tice is the same person who hyped up Kieries Hebert last year as the next great safety in the NFL.As for Moe's role, I don't see it getting any smaller. Please don't give me this crap about Bennett not having the vision to run on the goalline, he was never given a chance. If you had a player that could come in and almost guarantee a TD from 3 yards or closer, wouldn't you use him? That's why Bennett wasn't the goalline back...oh and you must have missed it earlier in the offseason, Tice gave Bennett the goalline role in the offseason but when Bennett's injury turned out to be worse, he said that Moe would be back in the goalline role.Bennett didn't have the hands to catch passes? Where have you been? That was a knock on him college, but was never a problem in the pros, at all. You must have missed the countless times last year that Bennett got screen passes. Well it wasn't countless, but it was 37 times. But I guess he doesn't have good enough hands to catch the ball.Seriously, some of you act like Bennett was an RB who was terrible last year and was only starting because the Vikings didn't have anyone else talented to play instead of him. He was a Pro Bowler!Onterrio will not be on the field more than Bennett was last year. I think that people are just looking for one rookie RB that might emerge as a fantasy player so they can go back and say "I told you so". What happened to all the hype about Larry Johnson being such a stud?He might be an AWESOME value in the 5th or 6th round to some people, but to me I would think you might want to wait until you call him a good value until the season starts and he actually shows if he is ready to play or not. I'm not really worried about people drafting him in the 5th or 6th round though, it just worries me that some of you who act like he is some god will be drafting him in 2nd or 3rd round.I noticed one big comment that didn't get much message board time here was when John Clayton said that Onterrio wasn't ready to take Bennett's starting job. Seeing that he is going to be the most unbias opinion of anyone. But then again, it wasn't a possitive comment, so you won't see it here.

To say John Clayton is unbiased or completely informed is naive. I'm not saying his observation/analysis is useless, just that it should be taken with a grain of salt, like everything you see here.Of course Smith wasn't going to take Bennett's job. He is a rookie. Did you downgrade Deuce last year because he wasn't good enough as a rookie to beat out Ricky? Of course not.As such, we're not talking about who is better, Bennett or Smith. At least I'm not. We're talking about who will be getting the ball behind the massive O-line of the Vikings in 2003.Lets just assume all the naysayers are correct and Tice runs out onto the field at the goalline and grabs Onterrio by the chin and drags him of the field so that Moe and Culpepper can get the goalline TDs........he's STILL going to get quite a few yards and a couple TDs.By the way, isn't saying "Bennett never got the chance to be a goalline back" the same thing as saying "The coaches realized that Moe was a better goalline option then Bennett"? Considering that by your own info, Tice was going to give the goalline duties to Bennett this year, it would seem that the Coach is open to having someone other then Moe score the short TDs.HERD

Can't believe I've yet to chime in on this epic Onterrio thread. The way I've seen it on this board, it all basically breaks down to people who have never seen him play and want to dismiss him as a trendy pick vs. people who have seen him play and know he is the real deal.Please, by all means doubters, draft AZ & Barlow ahead of him. Go right ahead. You're right, he's going to be wallowed in RBBC mire, splitting carries with the immortal Doug Chapman. :rolleyes: I mean, J.C., can't you people see the writing on the walls? After one pre-season game & Tice is already on his knees for the guy. You really think he's gonna let Onterrio split carries?WCS is that Moe steals GL and 3D carries. Big whoop. I'll still take Onterrios 1300-1400/5 in the 4th any day.
I've seen Onterrio play, once in person and once on TV and that's why I'm not as high on him as most of you. I was very disappointed when I saw him in person and was barely impressed when I watched him in the preseason game. That's why I'm saying wait until he plays behind the starting O-Line against the starting defense before you start calling him a good 4th round fantasy pick (oddly enough the same round he was drafted in the ROOKIE DRAFT).Funny you mentioned Barlow...hasn't he been hyped up to steal Hearst's job since his rookie season and still hasn't done it?Why are everyone so quick to dismiss Chapman? He's a former 3rd round pick who has never had a chance to starter, now he does. I have no doubt that he will be at least getting carries this year.I would just like to point out that Tice has been praising Onterrio for awhile now, doesn't mean that everything he said is true. Wow, he jumped ahead of someone who fumbled away the game winning TD...real shock there. Tice is going to give Onterrio every chance to start, but he is still a rookie and this might come as a shock to some of you...but rookies don't always come into the league and play like 5 year veterans, even if you expect them to.1300-1400 yards? LMFAO

To say John Clayton is unbiased or completely informed is naive. I'm not saying his observation/analysis is useless, just that it should be taken with a grain of salt, like everything you see here.Of course Smith wasn't going to take Bennett's job. He is a rookie. Did you downgrade Deuce last year because he wasn't good enough as a rookie to beat out Ricky? Of course not.As such, we're not talking about who is better, Bennett or Smith. At least I'm not. We're talking about who will be getting the ball behind the massive O-line of the Vikings in 2003.Lets just assume all the naysayers are correct and Tice runs out onto the field at the goalline and grabs Onterrio by the chin and drags him of the field so that Moe and Culpepper can get the goalline TDs........he's STILL going to get quite a few yards and a couple TDs.By the way, isn't saying "Bennett never got the chance to be a goalline back" the same thing as saying "The coaches realized that Moe was a better goalline option then Bennett"? Considering that by your own info, Tice was going to give the goalline duties to Bennett this year, it would seem that the Coach is open to having someone other then Moe score the short TDs.HERD
For one thing, Clayton wasn't talking about Onterrio replacing Bennett for good, he said he wasn't ready to be the starter. Two different things.Also you didn't read my whole post did you? I said that Moe was given back the goalline duties when Bennett went down. If Onterrio had the chance to take the goalline carries, he wouldn't have given the role back to Moe.

Why are everyone so quick to dismiss Chapman? He's a former 3rd round pick who has never had a chance to starter, now he does. I have no doubt that he will be at least getting carries this year.I would just like to point out that Tice has been praising Onterrio for awhile now, doesn't mean that everything he said is true. Wow, he jumped ahead of someone who fumbled away the game winning TD...real shock there. Tice is going to give Onterrio every chance to start, but he is still a rookie and this might come as a shock to some of you...but rookies don't always come into the league and play like 5 year veterans, even if you expect them to.1300-1400 yards? LMFAO
Doug Chapman has had his chances but has been unimpressive or unable to stay healthy.You said it yourself in your post "Tice is going to give Onterrio every chance to start", that is why some people believe Onterrio represents good value that is worth the pick.Why are people getting so upset over this? IF you don't like him, don't draft him and avoid the risk. Pick up Chapman or Bennett late and you may just prove all the O.Smith fans wrong. IF you like him, pick him at a point when you think his upside is better than the other RBs available, and you might just wind up with the rookie of the year and a quality RB2 in the 4th or 5th round.

I said that Moe was given back the goalline duties when Bennett went down. If Onterrio had the chance to take the goalline carries, he wouldn't have given the role back to Moe.
obviously, roles can change at a moment's notice. do you really believe that just because Tice said Williams will keep his goalline role that there is no way that will ever be changed?This is getting silly. :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread