What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The question that I'm sure is on everyone's mind (1 Viewer)

Better overall RB?

• Jamal Lewis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earnest Byner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Assani Fisher

Footballguy
I've been hearing this debate wherever I go lately. I title searched for both "Byner" and "Jamal" and didn't see a thread on this here yet surprisingly, so forgive me if this is a honda...if so please just gimme a link.

Basically, if you could have either at the start of their careers who would you take? Assume that this pick is the first player added to your offense and you can build around their skillset with the rest of your team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing this debate wherever I go lately. I title searched for both "Byner" and "Jamal" and didn't see a thread on this here yet surprisingly, so forgive me if this is a honda...if so please just gimme a link.Basically, if you could have either at the start of their careers who would you take? Assume that this pick is the first player added to your offense and you can build around their skillset with the rest of your team.
Whever you go?Do you live in Cleveland by chance?

I've been hearing this debate wherever I go lately. I title searched for both "Byner" and "Jamal" and didn't see a thread on this here yet surprisingly, so forgive me if this is a honda...if so please just gimme a link.Basically, if you could have either at the start of their careers who would you take? Assume that this pick is the first player added to your offense and you can build around their skillset with the rest of your team.
Whever you go?Do you live in Cleveland by chance?
Las Vegas, why?

I think he was asking because, and I can only speak for myself here, I have never asked myself this question, nor heard this debate raging wherever I go. That being said, I can't even fairly evaluate your question because I was too young to really remember Earnest Byner, but I looked up career stats (and now I see where the "debate" comes from as Jamal passed Ernest in rushing yards this past week), and I would have to give the nod to Byner, as he was the far superior reciever out of the backfield while still an impressive runner.

Let the debate rage on.

I'll play.

A comparison right now is somewhat difficult because of how long Byner played. He played 14 seasons, until the age of 35. That's a long time for a RB. Lewis is currently in his 7th season.

Lewis is the far superior runner. Lewis has a much better rush yds/game and rush yds/attempt. That 2000 yard season was nice, too.

Byner was the better receiver, grabbing 512 balls for 4605 yards and 12 TDs in his career. Lewis will never come close to those career numbers.

Byner also has the advantage in touches:td ratio, scoring once every 36.7 touches. Lewis has scored once every 39.7 touches.

Another advantage for Byner is that he "stepped it up" in the postseason. While Byner only averaged 61 yds/game (rush + rec) in the regular season, he averaged 90 yds/game in the playoffs. Lewis averages 99 yds/game in the regular season and 82 in the playoffs. Also, in the playoffs, Byner improved his touches:td ratio to one TD every 28 touches. Lewis scores once every 35 touches in the playoffs.

From a fantasy perspective, Lewis has been pretty average other than his 2000-yard season. Byner managed 5 top 12 seasons, compared to Lewis' 2 so far.

Byner made 2 Pro Bowls, Lewis 1 so far.

Given the chance, I think Byner could have posted much higher numbers. He shared a lot of carries during his career. Maybe that's why his career lasted so long, though.

Touch call. I'll go with Byner, though, as a Skins homer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread