What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (1 Viewer)

Loving Canada 

@Peekachoo1313

· 1h

Replying to @thedavidcrosby

Name the one band you dislike that most everyone likes....me, it’s The Police.

David Crosby

@thedavidcrosby

1h

Doors

I guess I should take the Detroit-related act now given @Ilov80s announcement from last night. Though this album was mostly recorded in Philly (woot!) under the helm of legendary producer Thom Bell, who also co-wrote this song. I love the 7-minute album version, but I'll keep with the theme and take the shorter single version.

Round 42: The Spinners -- Rubberband Man

Year: 1976

Album: Happiness Is Being with the Spinners

B-side: Now That We're Together

With that, I am done with the '70s. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The original's cool. Always a good one playing in the background and kinda hum along. It never had the effect that this one did the first time I heard it though.

Round 42 "Fuel" - Daniel (2000)

It isn't really the band; it's just Brett Scallions. He re-did the arrangement and brought a level of passion to this that Elton just didn't in the original. I'd like to thank Binky again for yesterday's sniper attack as this was the one of the 4 I was going to walk away without and I wouldn't have been happy about it. 

Double post, so I'll use it to applaud the "Cherry Bomb" pick. Was one of the songs that came up on my DID shuffle-through the other day.

I ask myself, “Yo Mama, how do you fill your 1990 spot when it will directly follows NWA (88) and Public Enemy (89) on the jukebox?” Yo Mama replies, “Well, by taking an Ice Cube song featuring Chuck D, #######!”  Yo Mama selects:

42.ym - Ice Cube - Endangered Species (Tales from the Darkside) (1990)

Every cop killer goes ignored
They just send another [ninja] to the morgue
A point scored, they could give a #### about us
They rather catch us with guns and white powder
If I was old, they'd probably be a friend of me
Since I'm young, they consider me the enemy
They kill ten of me to get the job correct
To serve, protect, and break a [ninja’s] neck
Cuz I'm the one with the trunk of funk
And "#### tha Police" in the tape deck
You should listen to me cuz there's more to see
Call my neighborhood a ghetto cuz it houses minorities

They also did a cover of some renown that you could draft! 
I already used 94 (Nirvana Unplugged made that year easy) and while I still have 95 available there are 2 cuts from that year that stand quite a bit above anything else I'm familiar with. The only reason I haven't picked one yet is I can't decide which one.

42nd Round  Ray Charles & Diana Krall - You Don't Know Me (2004)

Although I had Krall written down as a possibility, I'd sorta brushed her off as, though I know she's very talented, her type of music just isn't at all my jam.  Then I found she had done this duet with Ray as part of his modestly titled album, Genius Loves Company.  Score, I get Ray!!!

Krall played piano and contributed the arrangements, as well as her backing band, to Paul's album, Kisses on the Bottom.  

Listened to Mrs. R's jukebox while working today partly because she unexpectedly sniped me 5 times . Could do without a couple of the B-sides but overall a nice mix. Seems to be missing at least 10 tracks though.

Best discovery- Camila Cabello - Havana

Although I had Krall written down as a possibility, I'd sorta brushed her off as, though I know she's very talented, her type of music just isn't at all my jam.  Then I found she had done this duet with Ray as part of his modestly titled album, Genius Loves Company.  Score, I get Ray!!!

Krall played piano and contributed the arrangements, as well as her backing band, to Paul's album, Kisses on the Bottom.  
one of my 10 favorite songs, gorgeously & sumptuous performed, but one i always put the skip on when i'd listen to the CD. Why would anyone sing the world's loneliest song in duet?

@Binky The Doormat @Raging weasel Why is it so hard to find good one-hit wonders in the 21st century? I submit the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Among other things, this deregulated the music business and gave conglomerates more leeway to buy up record companies. So the major labels were consolidated very quickly. Once they were in the hands of conglomerates, the execs did what conglomerate execs do and made artist roster/promotion decisions based on numbers.

This led to a mass purge from major-label rosters of niche, cult and has-been acts. It also meant that there was no interest in signing new acts unless the potential for a major payoff was there. And once those new acts were signed, the labels would do whatever they could to justify their investment, and were not content with an act just having one hit.

It's not impossible to be a one-hit wonder anymore, but it's less likely. The flip side is that it's very easy to be a no-hit wonder, as today's technology enables artists to develop an audience without the kind of push from a label that used to be required. 

one of my 10 favorite songs, gorgeously & sumptuous performed, but one i always put the skip on when i'd listen to the CD. Why would anyone sing the world's loneliest song in duet?
:lmao:   Fair point.

If I ever get around to making a playlist, I'll be including the solo Ray version, because this record isn't on Spotify.

@Binky The Doormat @Raging weasel Why is it so hard to find good one-hit wonders in the 21st century? I submit the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Among other things, this deregulated the music business and gave conglomerates more leeway to buy up record companies. So the major labels were consolidated very quickly. Once they were in the hands of conglomerates, the execs did what conglomerate execs do and made artist roster/promotion decisions based on numbers.

This led to a mass purge from major-label rosters of niche, cult and has-been acts. It also meant that there was no interest in signing new acts unless the potential for a major payoff was there. And once those new acts were signed, the labels would do whatever they could to justify their investment, and were not content with an act just having one hit.

It's not impossible to be a one-hit wonder anymore, but it's less likely. The flip side is that it's very easy to be a no-hit wonder, as today's technology enables artists to develop an audience without the kind of push from a label that used to be required. 
Good info,that makes sense. Probably why many artists form their own record company for distribution and signings. Alot of my remaining picks will be no hit wonders from 2000-now.

It's also almost impossible to define what a hit is anymore.

Pop charts have always been crooked, though. Just depended who had a thumb on the scale.

Also clear channel homogenizing the airwaves. Corporations, man.

Gonna be a common theme the rest of the way, waffling between two options. As much as I wanted to take this it reminded me a lot of Incubus, Prince, and Let's Go Crazy. They took a rare good 80's song, didn't reinvent anything, but I enjoy their modern rendition of it more than the original because it comes without that 80's vibe. But I already have some Blondie. And I don't categorize her on the same level as Prince. So...

Round 43 Fall Out Boy - Beat It (2008)

...I am picking another song that did the same damn thing. So why this over that? Well, Binky taking Smooth Criminal yesterday left me without any Michael. At the time I thought he broke one tie, but as it turns out he broke two. So, thanks again, Binky!

:tldr:

whoa, had forgotten all about this ...beauty

Users who are viewing this thread