What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (2 Viewers)

Reading this thread reminds me just how little I have watched espn the past decade or so. I'll watch nfl games and the occasional baseball game, but I couldn't tell you the last time I watched Sportscenter or pardon the interruption or the like.

Honestly,  if espn went off the air tomorrow,  I wouldn't blink an eye. 
Yep. Mid 00s - Early 10s, ATH and PTI were on the tv daily M-F. Can't tell you the last time I've watched either.

Tebow-mania and the Bron years Heat really were the beginning of the downfall when the network went from sports news to sports TMZ.

What a lineup they had back in the day.  Patrick, Olbermann, Scott, Eisen, Kilborn, Mayne. 
It's just amazing they decided people would rather see loudmouths (whom are not even consistent or knowledge) yell at each other instead of these guys show highlights most of the day.  They even made sports I rarely cared about (like baseball and hockey) interesting. These days I only turn on ESPN when I want to watch something or up late enough to watch Van Pelt. I cringe when it is bars and restaurants (pre COVID I guess). Terrible business move. :shrug:  

Stuart Scott such a big loss so early too...RIP

Not following the outrage here.  Help me out.  What did she say that was bad?
I don't have any issues with what Rachel Nichols said.  Her sentiment seemed to be that she was worried that ESPN would take something away from her to make up for their years of lack of diversity. She obviously had no beef with Maria Taylor. 

Obviously, the fact that an ESPN employee got a hold of the call and sent it to the others, with it leaking to the media, is the problem here.  That employee is probably lucky she wasn't fired. 

I don't have any issues with what Rachel Nichols said.  Her sentiment seemed to be that she was worried that ESPN would take something away from her to make up for their years of lack of diversity. She obviously had no beef with Maria Taylor. 

Obviously, the fact that an ESPN employee got a hold of the call and sent it to the others, with it leaking to the media, is the problem here.  That employee is probably lucky she wasn't fired. 
She insinuated that Taylor is getting where she is today because she is black. You don’t see how that’s a problem?

She insinuated that Taylor is getting where she is today because she is black. You don’t see how that’s a problem?
I took it more as her beef being with ESPN.  Just because Nichols thinks that ESPN presumably gave Taylor a spot to promote diversity doesn't necessarily mean that she thinks she isn't deserving.  It doesn't have to be a "one or the other" situation.  

I took it more as her beef being with ESPN.  Just because Nichols thinks that ESPN presumably gave Taylor a spot to promote diversity doesn't necessarily mean that she thinks she isn't deserving.  It doesn't have to be a "one or the other" situation.  
Saying they are giving Taylor more things to do because of espn’s crappy diversity history is saying she is only getting those jobs because of their crappy diversity history. It’s taking away her accomplishments and talents and assigning them to a different reason. 

Saying they are giving Taylor more things to do because of espn’s crappy diversity history is saying she is only getting those jobs because of their crappy diversity history. It’s taking away her accomplishments and talents and assigning them to a different reason. 
Perhaps. I will have to give this one more thought, to be honest. :shrug:

Will be interesting to see if ESPN does anything about this, now that this story is out there.  Wouldn't surprise me if Nichols was shown the door, but firing someone over a private conversation being leaked is a dangerous road to go down.  They certainly wouldn't be the first company to acted hastily in the wake of the Twitter universe losing their minds and driving a narrative. 

Will be interesting to see if ESPN does anything about this, now that this story is out there.  Wouldn't surprise me if Nichols was shown the door, but firing someone over a private conversation being leaked is a dangerous road to go down.  They certainly wouldn't be the first company to acted hastily in the wake of the Twitter universe losing their minds and driving a narrative. 
It sounds like a lot of their Black talent is upset about this. They have a much bigger problem on their hands than Twitter outrage. 

It sounds like a lot of their Black talent is upset about this. They have a much bigger problem on their hands than Twitter outrage. 
Agreed, which is why it is surprising that they have handled it in-house as poorly as they seemingly have.  Feels like they should have done more to find common ground and make everyone happy.  Obviously, the person who leaked the call should have been disciplined, so no issues there, but it sounds like ESPN went out of their way to make it more difficult for Taylor going forward, which seems rather unwise. 

Yea I don’t know if they fire Nichols for this. Might be a her or Taylor situation. Pretty ugly all the way around. 

Yea I don’t know if they fire Nichols for this. Might be a her or Taylor situation. Pretty ugly all the way around. 

Taylor’s contract is up. They won’t renew her
I'd be surprised if Taylor wanted to re-sign there, as she doesn't seem like the "forgive and forget" type.  I remember seeing her comments on the Drew Brees story a year ago, so when I got to the part in this new story about she had no interest in taking calls or texts from Nichols, I was not surprised.  Not that I am saying she should, just that I was not surprised. I could see her holding a grudge against ESPN for this, which would be understandable, and wanting to get the hell out of there. 

Just looked it up: looks like they did make her an offer of 5 million a year (she is at 1 million a year currently) and she turned it down. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Nichols was shown the door, but firing someone over a private conversation being leaked is a dangerous road to go down.  
I mean, she basically streamed the conversation to the company server, it’s not like someone was tapping her phone or something. 

Yeah it just sounds like she is complaining about her bosses. 

Right. Plus Woj apparently was upset at her, and I’m sure he has juice over there too. The hypocrisy of this whole thing (on Nichols’s part) is just pretty amazing given how performatively woke Nichols generally is. Diversity is cool until it impacts her in a slightly negative way. 

I mean, she basically streamed the conversation to the company server, it’s not like someone was tapping her phone or something. 
Well, sure, but it sounds like that was a mistake, one for which she may pay dearly.  

Right. Plus Woj apparently was upset at her, and I’m sure he has juice over there too. The hypocrisy of this whole thing (on Nichols’s part) is just pretty amazing given how performatively woke Nichols generally is. Diversity is cool until it impacts her in a slightly negative way. 
I don't see it as hypocritical at all on the part of Nichols.  Someone can be 100% in favor of diversity while also not wanting to be a sacrificial lamb for the cause.  No one wants to lose their job (unless they hate it and secretly pray that they are forced to leave it :lol:) or be demoted or be given less great tasks. 

Just looked it up: looks like they did make her an offer of 5 million a year (she is at 1 million a year currently) and she turned it down. 
:lmao:  

No wonder it's a sinking ship. They just declined to pay Ariel Helwani (a content creator) $500k :lmao:  

Nichols has no shot of surviving this even if higher ups try to sweep it under the rug.

:lmao:  

No wonder it's a sinking ship. They just declined to pay Ariel Helwani (a content creator) $500k :lmao:  

Nichols has no shot of surviving this even if higher ups try to sweep it under the rug.
Yep, when the dust clears on this whole story, it will likely be epic in how badly ESPN misplayed this. 

Nichols will likely be giving her walking papers now that this is out there, as ESPN will not want to endure the criticism if they kept her. 

Taylor will likely walk, as firing Nichols in light of public pressure, won't be enough to placate her. 

So, they will have lost two of their more popular personalities, and to top of it, their handling of it likely pissed off a lot of employees, many of whom will likely be counting the days till their contract expires so they can jump ship as well. 

Well, sure, but it sounds like that was a mistake, one for which she may pay dearly.  

I don't see it as hypocritical at all on the part of Nichols.  Someone can be 100% in favor of diversity while also not wanting to be a sacrificial lamb for the cause.  No one wants to lose their job (unless they hate it and secretly pray that they are forced to leave it :lol:) or be demoted or be given less great tasks. 
we’ll have to agree to disagree then. This is a far cry from Nichols losing her job or being demoted. This is diversity NIMBYism. Which I agree may be a natural reaction, but it’s the polar opposite of how Nichols is always attempting to position herself. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me this is a near perfect definition of hypocrisy. It’s easy to understand and sympathize, but it’s still hypocritical to be an outward champion of diversity but only so long as it doesn’t impact her. 

IIRC, she was given two weeks off without pay.

It seems to me this is a near perfect definition of hypocrisy. It’s easy to understand and sympathize, but it’s still hypocritical to be an outward champion of diversity but only so long as it doesn’t impact her. 
I don't know what you do for work, but let's assume you worked your butt off to get where you are. How would you feel if they came in tomorrow and told you, "we have to let you go because we need to bring in a person of color to do your job to add a little diversity to team?"  Would you think, "Hey great. Sure it's a bummer for me, but yay for the cause!"  I doubt it. You'd be pissed. And that wouldn't make you a hypocrite. It would make you human.  Now, that is not exactly what was happening at ESPN, but I am sure you get my point. 

Sorry not sorry to be so un-woke, but I have an issue with what you're suggesting. Frankly I find it very annoying when POC express such outrage because someone dared to suggest that intentional diversity played a part in their hire/promotion, all while shamelessly exploiting policies that were specifically designed to ensure that this happens. If you're going to reap the benefit, then you should own it.

I find your indignation especially ironic as it pertains to Maria Taylor. She criticized management at ESPN for a lack of diversity in their Women's NCAA basketball coverage. As a result, LaChina Robinson was added to the broadcast team. So Robinson got the job largely because she is black, but God forbid anyone mention this out loud.

But isn't Maria Taylor a hypocrite too? Complaining when a coworker suggests that diversity played a part in her ascension, but also telling ESPN execs that they need to add more black faces?

I don't watch ESPN and I don't know the people involved here, so I don't care much about this particular flare-up.  That said, if you support "diversity" being a hiring criterion, then you don't get to complain about black employees being viewed as "diversity hires".  That comes with the territory. 

(I see this as an argument against racial preferences in hiring -- which are illegal anyway -- but YMMV).

Not following here.  Do you think what she said was bad or the fact that she is saying it at all? 
I think what she said was bad. It's not like ESPN went to her and said we're giving Maria this gig to make up for past transgressions with respect to diversity and representation. Nichols made the race inference all on her own. Maybe ESPN just thought Taylor would be better at the job? As others have pointed out, given the public image Nichols has cultivated, it's a really bad look for her to go immediately to race just because she got a demotion. 

I totally get the Nichols feels like her privacy was violated, but she was dumb to use company assets to have this kind of a conversation. Pick up your cell phone. 

I don't know what you do for work, but let's assume you worked your butt off to get where you are. How would you feel if they came in tomorrow and told you, "we have to let you go because we need to bring in a person of color to do your job to add a little diversity to team?"  Would you think, "Hey great. Sure it's a bummer for me, but yay for the cause!"  I doubt it. You'd be pissed. And that wouldn't make you a hypocrite. It would make you human.  Now, that is not exactly what was happening at ESPN, but I am sure you get my point. 
You’re pre-supposing that’s why Taylor was given the job, instead of being the more talented team member, just like Nichols did. Not sure how else to explain to you or Donny or anybody else how that is a problem. 

Dang, I don't watch ESPN so I have no idea how big a figure she is for that network. But I know the names of a bunch of ESPN contributors, and Taylor is not one of them. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how much these on-air personalities typically get paid - even the less famous ones.

You’re pre-supposing that’s why Taylor was given the job, instead of being the more talented team member, just like Nichols did. Not sure how else to explain to you or Donny or anybody else how that is a problem. 
And you're mis-characterizing my comments. I did not suggest that Maria Taylor was given a job because she is black. (Unlike Robinson, who seemingly was.) I am saying there should be nothing wrong with speculating that diversity was a factor that contributed to her promotion. And that perhaps some people should relax when this speculation is given a voice, especially considering the existence of affirmative action and diversity hiring policies.

And you're mis-characterizing my comments. I did not suggest that Maria Taylor was given a job because she is black. (Unlike Robinson, who seemingly was.) I am saying there should be nothing wrong with speculating that diversity was a factor that contributed to her promotion. And that perhaps some people should relax when this speculation is given a voice, especially considering the existence of affirmative action and diversity hiring policies.
:goodposting:

Early Rachel where she dyed her hair red, had that widows peak working, and  dress like a domme was overlooked.   She was never put in the same category as alot of the sideline talent of her era which was interesting.  She and Bonnie Bernstein hated eachother right?  Need to read back on that, there was maybe a similar sort of thing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If ESPN is violating her contract, then she's not being hypocritical at all.

Users who are viewing this thread