What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Tea Party is back in business! (2 Viewers)

Regarding Tea Party. I think that their basic mantra is:

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

This apparently is very extreme????? I guess I don't get it.
yeah, me neither. In all reality, they're called extreme simply because they aren't Democrats.
Most of these positions aren't extreme in theory. They become extreme in practice when you attempt to adhere to them so strictly regardless of practical consequences and you refuse all attempts at political compromise, which is the only way to accomplish anything in Washington.
Very good answer. I still wonder why the Dem's & the "good old boys" in the Republican party demonize them so much. Racist, idiots, simpletons, extremists, et al. Are they indeed afraid of a ground swell from ordinary people?
To me the basic problem is, if you so much as even speak of working with the other side of the aisle it's something that gets you a right wing primary opponent. I think you can be principled and conservative and still work across the aisle and compromise where need be for the good of everyone. To me that's the real danger here. It's further polarization and if you allow this mentality to control your nominees, gridlock will become absolute. Anyone who opposes gridlock essentially is doomed to lose in a primary in the far right districts. It's less prevalent in the Senate races because it's harder to win statewide, much less nationally, on that premise. It is why even in perhaps the most conservative state of Mississippi that McDaniel lost.. That's the extreme position to me. Not the beliefs held for governing but the belief that without 100% purity in the belief, not willing to even compromise 1%, that they'd rather have gridlock.

I'm against breaking into nursing homes to take pictures of someone's wife you are running against. I'm also against trying to interject the government into the bedrooms and private lives of citizens. It's amazing to me how many who claim to be conservative want more government involvement on social issues.
I just voted for you. Neither party will have you, though.

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

yeah, me neither. In all reality, they're called extreme simply because they aren't Democrats.
Most of these positions aren't extreme in theory. They become extreme in practice when you attempt to adhere to them so strictly regardless of practical consequences and you refuse all attempts at political compromise, which is the only way to accomplish anything in Washington.
Very good answer. I still wonder why the Dem's & the "good old boys" in the Republican party demonize them so much. Racist, idiots, simpletons, extremists, et al. Are they indeed afraid of a ground swell from ordinary people?
To me the basic problem is, if you so much as even speak of working with the other side of the aisle it's something that gets you a right wing primary opponent. I think you can be principled and conservative and still work across the aisle and compromise where need be for the good of everyone.
As the results in Mississippi and other locations show it's no longer just about working with others across the aisle. You now have a Republican establishment which happily uses the same tactics and rhetoric as the Democrats against its own base when it suits its purposes. They only thing they care about is serving their corporate moneyed masters and if that means acting as a de-facto arm of the Democrat party in order to keep those almighty dollars rolling in, so be it.

I never thought I'd see the day when progressives ended up on the same side as Karl Rove and the Koch Brothers but here we are.

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

:lmao:

The Tea Party is extreme because the entrenched politicians in Washington won't follow the Constitution unless you offer up some "compromise" that puts money in their pockets.

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

To me the basic problem is, if you so much as even speak of working with the other side of the aisle it's something that gets you a right wing primary opponent. I think you can be principled and conservative and still work across the aisle and compromise where need be for the good of everyone.
As the results in Mississippi and other locations show it's no longer just about working with others across the aisle. You now have a Republican establishment which happily uses the same tactics and rhetoric as the Democrats against its own base when it suits its purposes. They only thing they care about is serving their corporate moneyed masters and if that means acting as a de-facto arm of the Democrat party in order to keep those almighty dollars rolling in, so be it.

I never thought I'd see the day when progressives ended up on the same side as Karl Rove and the Koch Brothers but here we are.
Great, let's all break into nursing homes and lock ourselves into courthouses. You have to admit that McDaniel has some nut jobs around him. I don't live in MS anymore but I would have voted for Thad too.

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

I wouldn't call it extreme....I'd call their clamoring for it bull ####. I feel that at best...... if elected in meaningful numbers,. TeaParty politicans would do nothing more than go through token motions to see these things come to fruitition. To me, they're nothing more than a slick re-wrapping of Republican ideals.

Thunderlips said:

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

I wouldn't call it extreme....I'd call their clamoring for it bull ####. I feel that at best...... if elected in meaningful numbers,. TeaParty politicans would do nothing more than go through token motions to see these things come to fruitition. To me, they're nothing more than a slick re-wrapping of Republican ideals.
I wouldn't call it slick, the Republicans don't want the tea p[arty, don't like the tea party and would love to see them go away (talking Repubilcan leadership, and big business Republicans that need the gov't to make money)

Tea Party is the part of the old Republican coalition that elevates "small gov't, end of gov't corruption, enforce existing laws" as their core beliefs and voting interests. The modern Republican party doesn't really believe in all that hokey pokey stuff anymore

Why does a group in favor of big government intervention in sexual, religious, and other matters keep saying it favors "smaller government"?

Thad Cochran certified Mississippi winner

JACKSON, Miss. — The Mississippi Republican Party said U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran won the state’s Republican primary runoff over challenger Chris McDaniel by 7,667 votes. The party sent results to the Secretary of State on Monday, the legal deadline.

The GOP’s numbers showed Cochran winning by more than the 6,800 votes counted by The Associated Press after the June election. Tallies changed as county parties examined provisional ballots and finalized results.

McDaniel, a state senator, has said he would challenge the results.
Counting provisional ballots increased Cochran's lead. And McDaniel's going to challenge it. :lmao:

Ted Cruz wants an investigation. :lmao:

The idea is that as long as someone alleges voter fraud, voter fraud actually occurred, I guess.

Chris McDaniel is now saying the “election was stolen” without providing a shred of evidence. It’s an extraordinarily irresponsible statement by an elected official. On Monday, his lawyer, who was last seen losing to Haley Barbour in a run for governor by almost 60 points, made allegations of voter fraud, again without evidence. This is exactly the sort of “throw it up against the wall and see what sticks” legal approach we Republicans ridiculed Al Gore for in the Florida recount.

The Supreme Court ended that sad chapter. Ultimately, we are a country of laws and despite what Chris McDaniel seems to believe, losing an election is not proof that a system was rigged. It just proves you lost.
Mississippi doesn’t have an automatic recount, but no state that does requires it for races with a margin of victory greater than 1 percent. Most don’t go to a recount unless the margin is 0.5 percent or less. Chris McDaniel lost by 2 percent but is insisting he “won’t surrender.” It’s reminiscent of when Hillary Clinton had clearly lost to Barack Obama in 2008 but said she was taking time to “consider her options” rather than immediately conceding. Options? You lost.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/08/chris-mcdaniel-confirms-the-worst-gop-stereotypes.html

Smaller government

capitalism

lower taxes

Follow the constitution

term limits

To me the basic problem is, if you so much as even speak of working with the other side of the aisle it's something that gets you a right wing primary opponent. I think you can be principled and conservative and still work across the aisle and compromise where need be for the good of everyone. To me that's the real danger here. It's further polarization and if you allow this mentality to control your nominees, gridlock will become absolute. Anyone who opposes gridlock essentially is doomed to lose in a primary in the far right districts. It's less prevalent in the Senate races because it's harder to win statewide, much less nationally, on that premise. It is why even in perhaps the most conservative state of Mississippi that McDaniel lost.. That's the extreme position to me. Not the beliefs held for governing but the belief that without 100% purity in the belief, not willing to even compromise 1%, that they'd rather have gridlock.
The right didn't compromise and still got obamacare shoved down their throat so you're screwed either way

Update?

Is the sequester still causing pain? Economy tanking? Doom and gloom everywhere?
1. The update is that the shutdown accomplished no positive purpose but managed to hurt a lot of people.

2. Yes, the sequester is still causing pain. What's important is that the pain is completely unnecessary.

3. No, the economy is not tanking, thankfully.

4. Currently, all of the "doom and gloom" talk is coming from conservatives over Obamacare.

I don't think that those who were hurt as a result of the shutdown, or those who continue to be hurt as a result of the sequester, would be amused by your apparent contempt for them.
Update?

Is the sequester still causing tremendous amounts of pain and destroying the economy?

Also, the thread title has been changed to avoid talks of the Sequester which is what this thread was about for years.... but apparently the OP no longer wants to discuss this.

Also, the thread title has been changed to avoid talks of the Sequester which is what this thread was about for years.... but apparently the OP no longer wants to discuss this.
I'm perfectly happy to discuss it. Well, happy is not the right word. Depressed is more accurate. It was a dumb, terrible idea, all sorts of people were hurt by it, and nothing positive was gained.

Who the heck was hurt by sequestration? A bunch of federal employees got like 6 unpaid days off spread out over a couple of months. They could not travel as much. It was inconvenient for people who probably fared much better than most through the recession. It was not painful to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the heck was hurt by sequestration? A bunch of federal employees got like 6 unpaid days off spread out over a couple of months. They could not travel as much. It was inconvenient for people who probably fared much better than most through the recession. It was not painful to anyone.
You heartlesss *******.

People bled. Babies went without milk. Mothers cried. /timschochet overreaction

So when a bunch of middle-class people lose a week's worth of pay, it's no big deal and they should just stop whining about it. When a bunch of middle-class people see their health insurance premiums go up, it's OBAMA DESTROYING AMERICAN FAMILIES. Interesting.

So when a bunch of middle-class people lose a week's worth of pay, it's no big deal and they should just stop whining about it. When a bunch of middle-class people see their health insurance premiums go up, it's OBAMA DESTROYING AMERICAN FAMILIES. Interesting.
The average federal employee in this area makes more than twice the medium family income. I know many, and each and everyone of them lived through it without a scratch.

Most of the people who live in my area could easily absorb a 20% increase in their deductible without their children starving to death. Since that's apparently the standard now.

Most of the people who live in my area could easily absorb a 20% increase in their deductible without their children starving to death. Since that's apparently the standard now.
Yes, a 20% increase in a deductible isn't too much. Not sure that is happening however.

Users who are viewing this thread