What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Ten Fantasy Commandments (1 Viewer)

UnderDawgs

Footballguy
The Ten Fantasy Commandments.

By Matthew Berry

ESPN.com

1. Thou shalt not veto. If there is obvious collusion between two owners, then the commissioner (or league via veto) should not allow it. But other than that? Let it go. People should be allowed to coach their team and trade whoever they want, even if you think it's a really stupid rip-off trade. Negotiating a steal of a deal is part of fantasy skill and as long as both parties want to do the deal, you're a punk if you block it. Especially the people who block a trade just because it doesn't involve them or because it's part of their "strategy" to block other teams from improving. That's the coward's way out and you're a scummy, spineless punk if you do that. Win on the virtual field, not in the bureaucracy.

2. Thou shalt play out the season. I don't care if you're 0-12. You make waiver claims and set your best possible lineup in Week 13. It matters to the rest of the league. Have fantasy pride. Quitting is for wimps and people with no moral fiber. You made a commitment, stick to it. Too many times I've heard of people in public leagues (it seems to happens less on ESPN than on other sites, thankfully) sign up for the league to practice drafting and then abandon the team. (This is why we offer free mock drafts and auctions). But even more than that, as teams get tough breaks or aren't winning, owners no longer play it out, leaving bye week and injured guy in their lineups and essentially handing their opponents crucial wins.

I was forced to do it once (a high-stake baseball league the summer I was going through my separation) and I hated myself for it. Seeing as how I ultimately ended up divorced, I should have found a way to play it out.

Peyton Manning

Not even the great Peyton Manning can throw for 300 and two scores from the golf course.

3. Thou shalt set your lineup every week Nothing is worse than seeing someone starting a lineup with guys on a bye and playing against a competitor you need to lose. Every game matters to everyone else in the league, so I don't care if your honeymoon is right smack in the middle of your season, you can't have a week off. If you know you're not gonna be able to play every week, then don't play at all. The Internet is everywhere. You can set your lineup six days in advance and you can access your ESPN Fantasy team from any mobile phone. If you have to, you can ask a friend or the league commish to set your best possible lineup for you. There is no excuse.

4. Thou shalt not talk about your team. No one cares about your team but you. If you meet me in public, sure, tell me, I get paid to listen to you. But other than that? Seriously, no one wants to hear you prattle on.

5. Thou shalt respond to trade offers. Dude, it's common courtesy. Just a simple "No thanks" is fine. Just let us know you got it but you're not interested.

5a. Thou shalt take no for an answer. A follow up to 5, if the person says no, then don't bombard them with a million other trade offers. One follow-up "Are you interested in talking trade at all?" or "is Player A at all available?" is allowed. But if they still say no, then let it be. Whether it's a girl or a trade, no means no. Period.

6. Thou shalt not bid on a player in an auction if you don't know who he is. If I throw out a player and someone says "Oooh, sleeper," you're not allowed to bid if you don't know who he is or why he's a sleeper. Do your own homework. Stop copying off my paper, jerk.

7. Thou shalt not abuse the waiver process. Don't continually pick guys up and then drop them, placing them on waivers, thus making them unavailable for two days to the rest of the league. Like I said in the first one. Win on the virtual field, not in the bureaucracy, coward. (For those who play on ESPN, that's not a problem; a player must be owned for 24 hours before he'll be put back out on waivers when dropped.)

8. Thou shalt not change the rules midseason. I don't care if it everyone's complaining or it seems unfair in Week 5. You play the rules that were set up at the start of season. Change at the start of next year. Take the job of commissioner seriously. Have a strong constitution at the start of the year and enforce it.

9. Thou shalt not say "Championship!" after drafting T.J. Houshmandzadeh. It's an old joke. We've heard it a million times. Let it go. (thanks to @US_LaticFanatic on Twitter for that one).

10. Thou shalt act like a normal, civilized human being. This is a catch-all for everything else. Act in fantasy how you would in real life. If you agree to a deal, you go through with it. Unless your word means nothing in real life too. Then you're just a horrible human being. Don't be an Internet tough-guy on e-mails or message boards. Smack talk is fine, but insulting or getting personal and saying things you'd never say to someone to their face? Save it, coward. Especially if you hide behind a fake screen name. Don't kick someone out of a league without telling them. Don't reneg on a bet or league fees you owe because the game or season didn't go the way you wanted. Don't abuse your power as commissioner. Don't offer a crappy trade you would never take if you were on the other side of it. Don't whine, #####, complain or do anything that takes the fun out of the greatest game ever invented.

Most are common sense. Most who read this forum wouldn't leave people on bye's in their lineup. Some may not notice a kicker being probable or something and them end up not playing, but if you are playing for money and the guy doesn't pay attention then it's their problem.

5 is a big deal in my league, well when it comes to one owner anyway...there are owners who will not trade with him now because he will just ignore an offer and let it sit there for weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: So what about picking up a guy off of the waiver wire you know your opponent needs, and you have no intention of playing them, but you don't want your opponent to have them. Is that considered winning in the "bureaucracy"?

5 is a big deal in my league, well when it comes to one owner anyway...there are owners who will not trade with him now because he will just ignore an offer and let it sit there for weeks.
Yep, number 5 drives me crazy. I'm in a keeper league that has the potential to be awesome with the format, settings etc, but it feels like only about half or even less of the 16 teams give a crap. There is no trade activity to speak of. I have not had one response to a trade offer yet and I have sent out a few (they aren't bad ones either). Unfortunately the guys who I know are active don't need my players and I don't need theirs.

:loco: So what about picking up a guy off of the waiver wire you know your opponent needs, and you have no intention of playing them, but you don't want your opponent to have them. Is that considered winning in the "bureaucracy"?
If you have WW position, its part of the strategy. Blocking a trade because it doesn't involve you is a #### move.

1. Thou shalt not veto. If there is obvious collusion between two owners, then the commissioner (or league via veto) should not allow it. But other than that? Let it go. People should be allowed to coach their team and trade whoever they want, even if you think it's a really stupid rip-off trade. Negotiating a steal of a deal is part of fantasy skill and as long as both parties want to do the deal, you're a punk if you block it. Especially the people who block a trade just because it doesn't involve them or because it's part of their "strategy" to block other teams from improving. That's the coward's way out and you're a scummy, spineless punk if you do that. Win on the virtual field, not in the bureaucracy.
The most important rule as far as I'm concerned.

So I'm reading through the list and I note how it's a pretty great list. Except for #6 which is so glaringly wrong it stands out like Kirstie Alley at an anorexia convention.

You don't get upset about people bidding on players they've never heard of just because you were the one who nominated them. You embrace it. You watch others waste their Power of $2 on players who you only nominated so they'd waste space on someone else's roster. And after you lose the bidding you give a brief frustrated sigh... or give a quiet, "Nice pickup" in a voice just slightly colored with annoyance or disappointment. Nothing overt. Just a subtle bit they'll pick up on and silently congratulate themselves that they stole a player from the consensus best owner in the league.

You don't try to discourage it. You don't put it in a list of things that frustrate you that you're trying to get people to stop. If you did, it would probably just make them... just.... just make them think they were doing something... something smart and... they'd keep... keep doing it.

Well played sir. Very well played indeed. :lmao:

I completely disagree. If not posting a lineup or starting a player on bye is detrimental to the league because every game counts than allowing a horrible trade to go through is even worse. In unbalances every game for the rest of the season. Two trades that have been vetoed in my leagues over the years (and both were still allowed to go through and both owners who were the beneficiaries of the trade won the league).1) Robert Holcombe for Randy Moss in 1998 - during Moss' slump in the middle of the season.2) Brian Griese for Larry Fitzgerald in 2008 - after Griese threw for 400 yards on 67 attempts.It was easy to see that Moss was the real deal and the top scoring WR in the league and at the time Holcombe wasn't even guaranteed the starting job.Griese was a journeyman QB that put up OK numbers on a once in a lifetime number of attempts while Fitzgerald was a proven elite receiver coming off back to back 100 yard games.Those two trades essentially ruined the seasons of all other owners in the league.

#1 is a thorn in my side. I get yelled at constantly for "ripping people off". Im sorry that my linguistic skills are better than the rest of the league, and I can convince a slug to take a salt shower. Every owner has paid their money, no one wants to lose, in every trade some one likes what they are getting. I have for sure, regardless, built up my monster team for this season. I will win the league and then re-join the league I should have done ( I had other priorities and I could only do one league, i chose the keeper league because I liked my keepers in andre and sjax and my #1 pick)

do the complete opposite of what Berry recommends on ESPN's fantasy show, and you're guaranteed to win!

he's one of the worst prognosticators, ever... :thumbup:

do the complete opposite of what Berry recommends on ESPN's fantasy show, and you're guaranteed to win!

he's one of the worst prognosticators, ever... :thumbup:
:lmao: I don't see how that guy gets paid for that stuff. "If you have Chris Johnson, be sure to play him this week as he has a juicy matchup." Well thanks for that tip, Captain Obvious.

I completely disagree. If not posting a lineup or starting a player on bye is detrimental to the league because every game counts than allowing a horrible trade to go through is even worse. In unbalances every game for the rest of the season. Two trades that have been vetoed in my leagues over the years (and both were still allowed to go through and both owners who were the beneficiaries of the trade won the league).1) Robert Holcombe for Randy Moss in 1998 - during Moss' slump in the middle of the season.2) Brian Griese for Larry Fitzgerald in 2008 - after Griese threw for 400 yards on 67 attempts.It was easy to see that Moss was the real deal and the top scoring WR in the league and at the time Holcombe wasn't even guaranteed the starting job.Griese was a journeyman QB that put up OK numbers on a once in a lifetime number of attempts while Fitzgerald was a proven elite receiver coming off back to back 100 yard games.Those two trades essentially ruined the seasons of all other owners in the league.
Those trades NEVER should have been vetoed. Randy Moss for all his greatness was a Rookie. How many Rookies ever put up the numbers he did? Thats right, ZERO. So by mid season to trade an overachieving rookie for a RB (which at the time RB's were king) then you can't fault an owner for doing it. Now granted Holcombe sucked ### for... well... ever but if both owners legitimately felt it improved their team, then you can't stop it. Same thing with the Griese for Fitz trade. Maybe that owner really needed a QB at the time and didn't value Fitz as highly as others. He's an idiot but if its not collusion, then you can't stop it. You can't protect stupidity. If you feel its a bad trade, then the following year you should ask the owner to leave.

he's one of the worst prognosticators, ever... :shrug:
:rolleyes: I don't see how that guy gets paid for that stuff. "If you have Chris Johnson, be sure to play him this week as he has a juicy matchup." Well thanks for that tip, Captain Obvious.
Yea, I'm pretty sure he's not said that once in the last 2 seasons. In fact he goes out of his way to say that he's not going to post "obvious" starts for people. Saying Chris Johnson is a good start does no one any good. Try reading his stuff. Its funny because he doesn't take it nearly as serious as some others. I enjoy it immensely.

Number 11?Thou shall not draft a kicker before the next to last round at the earliest.
#1 in my commandments, even further...don't draft kicker UNTIL the last round, if at all (pick one up off waivers before Week 1).I actually have had a different kicker each week because I drop my kicker for my first waiver flavor each week...then grab one before the start of the first game of that week. :rolleyes:

( I had other priorities and I could only do one league, i chose the keeper league because I liked my keepers in andre and sjax and my #1 pick)
4. Thou shalt not talk about your team. No one cares about your team but you. If you meet me in public, sure, tell me, I get paid to listen to you. But other than that? Seriously, no one wants to hear you prattle on.

I completely disagree. If not posting a lineup or starting a player on bye is detrimental to the league because every game counts than allowing a horrible trade to go through is even worse. In unbalances every game for the rest of the season. Two trades that have been vetoed in my leagues over the years (and both were still allowed to go through and both owners who were the beneficiaries of the trade won the league).1) Robert Holcombe for Randy Moss in 1998 - during Moss' slump in the middle of the season.

2) Brian Griese for Larry Fitzgerald in 2008 - after Griese threw for 400 yards on 67 attempts.

It was easy to see that Moss was the real deal and the top scoring WR in the league and at the time Holcombe wasn't even guaranteed the starting job.

Griese was a journeyman QB that put up OK numbers on a once in a lifetime number of attempts while Fitzgerald was a proven elite receiver coming off back to back 100 yard games.

Those two trades essentially ruined the seasons of all other owners in the league.
I traded Brian Westbrook and a pick for Brian Griese in a dynasty league in the spring of 2003. Thought there was no veto, there were a few voices of concern that the trade was lopsided in my favor.

Overall, am impressed by how undumb Berry's list is. I was expecting to find some good fodder and some feeding sharks in here, ripping the article. Not a bad list at all.

Yeah, the list makes a lot of sense. Other than that though, I never listen to what Berry says about weekly start-'em and sit-'em's. The only time I even know what he is espousing is when I happen to catch a glimpse on the TV. I couldn't imagine him having good fantasy seasons. Ever. I like that he is out there though, as others will listen to him and give me more of an advantage when I play those guys. I play in one ESPN league and most of the guys in that league don't go looking elsewhere for info or advice.

Yeah, the list makes a lot of sense. Other than that though, I never listen to what Berry says about weekly start-'em and sit-'em's. The only time I even know what he is espousing is when I happen to catch a glimpse on the TV. I couldn't imagine him having good fantasy seasons. Ever. I like that he is out there though, as others will listen to him and give me more of an advantage when I play those guys. I play in one ESPN league and most of the guys in that league don't go looking elsewhere for info or advice.
Man people rip Berry when he's the same as any other FF guy out there. He's commented numerous times how lucky he feels he is because he gets paid to do what he otherwise would do for free and thats comment on Fantasy Football. Cut the guy some slack. He offers opinions and backs them with his logic just like every single other fantasy guru out there. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. People take it way to serious if they think "he's the worst" or "i'm glad he offers advice to my opponents." The guy is funny and when compared to most FF advice columns I read on the internet, that keeps me coming back for more. I can go anywhere and read that RB A is questionable this week and may have a subpar game but when I read Berry's articles, I get humor and a guy who gets the fantasy thing.

I love it man... good stuff and I've seen a number of these violated over the years.

Regarding #7, it is the job of the Commissioner to "unlock" players that are picked-up/dropped in the same week. Picking up players and holding them is fine... but picking/dropping just to lock them out is a no-no.

Now, about my team... I'm currently inn 1st place at 5-1... :)

I love it man... good stuff and I've seen a number of these violated over the years.

Regarding #7, it is the job of the Commissioner to "unlock" players that are picked-up/dropped in the same week. Picking up players and holding them is fine... but picking/dropping just to lock them out is a no-no.

Now, about my team... I'm currently inn 1st place at 5-1... :thumbup:
No, it is not. It is the job of the commissioner to have a rule in place which prevents these type of shenanigans. A commissioner should not have to play the role transaction cop.

Those trades NEVER should have been vetoed. Randy Moss for all his greatness was a Rookie. How many Rookies ever put up the numbers he did? Thats right, ZERO. So by mid season to trade an overachieving rookie for a RB (which at the time RB's were king) then you can't fault an owner for doing it. Now granted Holcombe sucked ### for... well... ever but if both owners legitimately felt it improved their team, then you can't stop it. Same thing with the Griese for Fitz trade. Maybe that owner really needed a QB at the time and didn't value Fitz as highly as others. He's an idiot but if its not collusion, then you can't stop it. You can't protect stupidity. If you feel its a bad trade, then the following year you should ask the owner to leave.
If you were watching any football in 1998 it was quite plain that Moss wasn't an overachieving rookie. That Minnesota team was a juggernaut and Moss was leading the way. Also, Terry Glenn had a great rookie season in 1996 and Galloway had a great rookie season in 1995 so, if anything, history showed that rookie WRs around that time could do quite well. I don't remember exactly what week the trade went down but lets say it was after Moss' worst performance of the year. At that time, in a PPR dynasty league, Moss had 603 total yards, 6 TDs, 30+ receptions and was starting for one of greatest offenses ever vs. Holcombe who had 215 yards from scrimmage 2 TDs, didn't even have the starting job locked up, and was coming off his 4th consecutive game averaging under 2 YPC. The equivalent trade this year would be trading Antonio Gates for say Earnest Graham.The Griese trade was even worse. The guy only wanted Griese for bye week replacement even though there were QBs on the waiver wire. He traded Fitz for a QB he was planning on starting once.As far as collusion, how can you possible prove that? The first trade was between the commissioner and one of his good friends. I had made the Moss owner an offer that same week of his choice of Eddie George or Jerome Bettis and next year's 2nd rounder for Moss but he took Holcombe straight up instead. The trade of Griese and Fitz were between two brothers. Suspicious, yes... but it isn't like we have wiretaps and bugs recording conversations.

Regarding #7.

In our league, if a player is picked up AND dropped in the same day, he's automatically put back as a FA and the two day WW hold is not applied.

sn0mm1s said:
Insein said:
This is horrible logic. For every trade like the above, there are the opposite - trades where guys think they're stealing from the other guy, only to have things completely be reversed. How many guys were falling over themselves trying to trade for Kevan Barlow in dynasty leagues a few years back? How many owners sold Randy Moss in dynasty leauges while he was in Oakland? In retrospect, yes, some trades are unfair - but most of them are unclear at the time of the trade and could be actually quite the opposite of what is presumed down the line. Posting 1 or 2 examples of trades that 2-3 years later are clearly lopsided hardly proves that trades should be vetoed. All it shows is that trades sometimes don't work out the way someone expects - and sometimes they do - and sometimes the person who traded for the young phenom, ends up with Ryan Leaf or Kevan Barlow or Tatum Bell or Mike Williams instead of Randy Moss or Fitz.

Ruffrodys05 said:
Dizzy said:

Now, about my team... I'm currently inn 1st place at 5-1... :)
No, it is not. It is the job of the commissioner to have a rule in place which prevents these type of shenanigans. A commissioner should not have to play the role transaction cop.
as a karate expertwhat is the rule to have in place to prevent this?

if its the "you must have an added player rostered for 24 hours" I would rather be burdened as comish to allow more flexibility in player transactions and just deal with unlocking players.

sn0mm1s said:
Insein said:
Those trades NEVER should have been vetoed. Randy Moss for all his greatness was a Rookie. How many Rookies ever put up the numbers he did? Thats right, ZERO. So by mid season to trade an overachieving rookie for a RB (which at the time RB's were king) then you can't fault an owner for doing it. Now granted Holcombe sucked ### for... well... ever but if both owners legitimately felt it improved their team, then you can't stop it. Same thing with the Griese for Fitz trade. Maybe that owner really needed a QB at the time and didn't value Fitz as highly as others. He's an idiot but if its not collusion, then you can't stop it.

You can't protect stupidity. If you feel its a bad trade, then the following year you should ask the owner to leave.
If you were watching any football in 1998 it was quite plain that Moss wasn't an overachieving rookie. That Minnesota team was a juggernaut and Moss was leading the way. Also, Terry Glenn had a great rookie season in 1996 and Galloway had a great rookie season in 1995 so, if anything, history showed that rookie WRs around that time could do quite well. I don't remember exactly what week the trade went down but lets say it was after Moss' worst performance of the year. At that time, in a PPR dynasty league, Moss had 603 total yards, 6 TDs, 30+ receptions and was starting for one of greatest offenses ever vs. Holcombe who had 215 yards from scrimmage 2 TDs, didn't even have the starting job locked up, and was coming off his 4th consecutive game averaging under 2 YPC. The equivalent trade this year would be trading Antonio Gates for say Earnest Graham.The Griese trade was even worse. The guy only wanted Griese for bye week replacement even though there were QBs on the waiver wire. He traded Fitz for a QB he was planning on starting once.

As far as collusion, how can you possible prove that? The first trade was between the commissioner and one of his good friends. I had made the Moss owner an offer that same week of his choice of Eddie George or Jerome Bettis and next year's 2nd rounder for Moss but he took Holcombe straight up instead. The trade of Griese and Fitz were between two brothers. Suspicious, yes... but it isn't like we have wiretaps and bugs recording conversations.
I think you answered your own question. If you offered a trade of greater perceived value at the time and were turned down, then I would have brought that to the league's attention that something may not be kosher with the trade that was completed. That sounds mighty suspicious. The second trade even though it was brothers, if they can explain how it makes their team better logically, then you can't really intervene. I would rip the idiot brother for making such a foolish trade. If you're really torn up over it though, perhaps moving on to a new league where there are less dumb owners.

Ruffrodys05 said:
Dizzy said:

Now, about my team... I'm currently inn 1st place at 5-1... :goodposting:
as a karate expertwhat is the rule to have in place to prevent this?

if its the "you must have an added player rostered for 24 hours" I would rather be burdened as comish to allow more flexibility in player transactions and just deal with unlocking players.
The problem is, it shouldbn't be a rule. It should be kept a matter of league site functionality. If I pick up a player and drop him within <insert time frame here>, that player should immediately return to the Free Agent Pool. I don't want to be told I can't add/drop FAs whenever I want but if I do decide to drop a guy I just picked up, others shouldn't be penalized and prevented from adding him. If you really want to play "keep away" with a player, keep him until kick-off and take the roster spot "hit".

Good list. Not sure about 6 and 7 though:

6. Thou shalt not bid on a player in an auction if you don't know who he is. If I throw out a player and someone says "Oooh, sleeper," you're not allowed to bid if you don't know who he is or why he's a sleeper. Do your own homework. Stop copying off my paper, jerk.

7. Thou shalt not abuse the waiver process. Don't continually pick guys up and then drop them, placing them on waivers, thus making them unavailable for two days to the rest of the league. Like I said in the first one. Win on the virtual field, not in the bureaucracy, coward. (For those who play on ESPN, that's not a problem; a player must be owned for 24 hours before he'll be put back out on waivers when dropped

Why not fix 7 so that a player can't be picked up a second time until a waiting period of a week or so? Easy to fix. If it isn't, then you can't blame a guy for playing within the rules.

As for 6, again, keep your mouth shut if you don't want someone to "follow your homework." Although I play in leagues where everyone knows as much as me, so that would never happen.

I do LOVE #5: we have one guy in our league who constantly offers bad trades, again and again. He is now not very popular and I think it is hard for him to complete trades because people are so frustrated with him and assume anything he offers will be bad.

( I had other priorities and I could only do one league, i chose the keeper league because I liked my keepers in andre and sjax and my #1 pick)
:shrug:
This board totally needs a :4thCommandment: smilie/icon.

:lmao:
This board totally needs a :4thCommandment: smilie/icon.
2nd this motion. I'm guilty of it sometimes but people get so into it and as the commandment says, no one cares.

5. Thou shalt respond to trade offers. Dude, it's common courtesy. Just a simple "No thanks" is fine. Just let us know you got it but you're not interested.
yeah, it's annoying when an owner won't even respond to a trade offer. I will usually let the offer sit up until the first game is about to start, and if it hasn't been accepted or rejected by the owner, I will cancel the offer as a CYA for myself. I don't want any of the players I'm trading for to get hurt during the weekend and then the owner accepts the offer to screw me.

#1 is a thorn in my side. I get yelled at constantly for "ripping people off". Im sorry that my linguistic skills are better than the rest of the league, and I can convince a slug to take a salt shower. Every owner has paid their money, no one wants to lose, in every trade some one likes what they are getting. I have for sure, regardless, built up my monster team for this season. I will win the league and then re-join the league I should have done ( I had other priorities and I could only do one league, i chose the keeper league because I liked my keepers in andre and sjax and my #1 pick)
someone has a wife that told him, he could only join one league lol

Users who are viewing this thread